Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Cost of synthetic oil not worth it

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 07:07 AM

Ok, run the price figures again. Mine is 7 bux for 3,000 miles. I change the filter at 6,000 miles. I know I can go longer on my oil but like I said I am already spending so much on gas a week that 7 bux is like chicken feed.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:24 AM

I am going to Wal-mart and discount auto now. What brand of synthetic you use? Here until I get back: http://cartalk.com/board/showflat.ph...=&fpart=2&vc=1
Old 01-16-2005, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Armelius
Ok, run the price figures again. Mine is 7 bux for 3,000 miles. I change the filter at 6,000 miles. I know I can go longer on my oil but like I said I am already spending so much on gas a week that 7 bux is like chicken feed.
Right, and by your numbers you're at $14 for 6000 miles and $21 at 9000 miles (for oil alone). deezo buys Mobil 1 for $19 and goes 10000 miles. Can you not see that $19 < $21? You're the one claiming you pay less (and I still think the $7 oil change is BS, we'll see soon.).
Old 01-16-2005, 07:25 AM

I am going to Wal-mart and discount auto now. What brand of synthetic you use? Here until I get back: http://cartalk.com/board/showflat.ph...=&fpart=2&vc=1
Save those receipts. Oh, we'll need pics not your word.

You just proved Tork's point with that thread. Torkaholic and deezo goe longer thus paying less than you. Thanks for playing.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:03 AM

You think? You don't think. You just call people idiots. I have experiance. There are a few other on this site that have plenty of miles on their engines and they didn't use synthetics. Just read the back of the container. All they have to do is meet or exceed the set standards to get the rating.

You sold a durango, must not of been any good. I hear there was a recall on those.

I already told you I am spending about seven dollar per oil change. If it makes you feel any better sometimes I buy the 83 cent a quart stuff from Wal-mart and put that in my pathfinder. Why would I need a mountain of data when I have two fine running high mileage machines?
The Durango was in tip top condition. The vehicle was too small for my family so I purchased a loaded Nissan Titan CC. For argument sake I'll let you have your dino oil at $1 a quart and you still have the $3 for the filter. Durango takes 7 quarts so $10 and oil change. That's still $170 in oil changes compared to $149 for the synthetic. Then time comes into play. I changed the Durango's oil 4 times, with dino oil it would have been 17 times. I make $41 an hour. Let's say that an oil change takes 1/2 hour. 8.5 hour X $41/hr = $348.5 compared to $82 for synthetic. Always remember, "Time is money". Using synthetic oil actually gives you time. By only changing my oil for 2 hours compared to 8.6, I have just given myself 6.5 hours of free time to devote to my children. Time with children = Priceless.

Another example: I had a 1994 Honda Civic. I put 250,000 miles on it in 4 years. I used Amsoil 0w-30 and changed the oil every 20k. I changed the oil 13 times. Amsoil 0w-30 costs were $7 a court x 4 quarts= $28 + $8 for the filter = $36. 36 x 13 = $468. Dino oil: $1 a quart x 4 = $4 + $3 for the filter = $7 an oil change X 84 oil changes = $588 $1722 for my time compared to $266.50. A savings of $1575.5. Keep in mind that this also doesn't take into effect the gas savings over that time period. I sold the car to one of the Honda Mechanics at the dealership. I told him of my oil change intervals and he immediately said, "I want to tear down the engine a bit to see what kind of damage has occured". I obliged and he not only bought the car, he switched to Amsoil in all of his vehicles.

PS: I also got 35.5 hours of quality playtime with my kids over the course of owning the '94 Honda Civic.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm needing a caw

Right, and by your numbers you're at $14 for 6000 miles and $21 at 9000 miles (for oil alone). deezo buys Mobil 1 for $19 and goes 10000 miles. Can you not see that $19 < $21? You're the one claiming you pay less (and I still think the $7 oil change is BS, we'll see soon.).
Old 01-16-2005, 09:38 AM

Ok back. Seven dollars was conservative giving you the benifit of the doubt but let's revise that. 4.88 for five quarts of Techron. 22.50 for five quarts of mobile one synthetic. I just bought two filters at Advanced Discount Auto for 1.25 each and recycled my old oil. So for the sake of arguement let's say three oil changes to your one and oil filters being left out of the equation even though you might pay more say 8 bux a filter. That's still 15 dollars to 22.50 about a seven dollar saving.

Plus, I am doing what is recommended by the car manufacturer. Maybe I can go longer say 7,500 miles. I still spend less. Finally, I have the added benefit of replenished fluids and filters.

I am still getting great mileage. My idle is 650 rpms. Doing slightly over 60 mph I am around 2200 rpms. I have about 420 mpg on this tank so far and can go about 60 miles more with the tank on Empty using the reserve.

Tell me what pictures you want. I can go take a pic of the mileage and idle to include my current mileage on the tank right now. You will just have to wait maybe over a week for it to get developed. As far as valves you will probably have to wait about six months.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm needing a caw

Keeping with the topic:

If the oil companies are paying 48 dollars a barrel of sweet crude how come it's cheaper to have it delivered from half way across the world, drilled nearly a mile or more deep, and shipped to some middle man to sell it and even advertising it's greatness over similar products?
Because it's dino poop. Aka "crude". Economies of scale. Since it's so cheap, they can spend millions on ads to dupe you into buying it.

If synthetics are so great how come it's more expensive per barrel?
Because it's use is not nearly as wide as dino oil. Take Econ 101 and maybe you would understand.

I could make a comparison with whale oil. Oil from whales are so much better than synthetics, you can make more things and use it in extreme conditions. It will even last longer and is cleaner. The best perfumes and cosmetics would still use whale oil over synthetics. Why is that?
Hahahahaha!!! Um no one makes crap out of whale oil anymore. So in essence, yes industries DO USE SYNTHETICS to make this stuff now. Nice to own yourself.

Companies and marketers have all kinds of claims on their products that they really don't have to prove. All natural, organic, and perhaps even call their product home made. Synthetics can do the same thing.
100% incorrect. Mobil 1 sued (and won) Castral oil over adverstising their dino oil as synthetic. owned again. And we don't have to belive one bit of advertising. As you can have oil analyzed at any one of the numerous testing facilties. Owned again.

Look at diamonds. You can buy a synthetic diamond with all the qualities of a regular diamond but people still want diamonds from deep in the earth, why is that?
Because DeBeers controls the diamond market. You DO KNOW IF THERE WAS NO CONTROL, DIAMONDS WOULD BE 300%-500% CHEAPER. Again, absolutely no knowledge of anything. Every one of your comparisions are wrong and false. Just like your blind faith in cheap oil and cheap filters. Just because your car still runs, doesn't mean it's in good condition. It just means it still runs. Congrats.

So, if sythetic oil is so good why are they still selling nasty crude in the market place? Synthetics been around a long time shouldn't they be inexpensive?[/QUOTE]
Old 01-16-2005, 09:48 AM

http://advance-auto1932quality.cross...38&StartRow=28

Here is the phone number: 941-429-0013

Ask how much is their store brand filters on special.

Wal-mart is: http://www.walmart.com/cservice/ca_s...er_results.gsp (941) 625-2399 Ask them how much is five quarts of Techron oil.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:03 AM

Sheesh, although it's one of my personal favorites, I almost forgot this one: ALMOST 20,000 ON MOBIL-1 0W-40
Click and see for yourself.

This is a somewhat extreme case, but remember that his numbers are skewed, as this is the oil that was put in at the factory. This guy has you beat by miles on the cost per mile of oil, filter, and changing. There's no dino in the world that will hold up to this treatment, let alone do so with decent numbers.

You can make us wait six months for pictures of your engine, whatever. YOU are the one who's claiming that syns aren't worth it, so it's YOU who had the burden to come forward and prove your point. So far, you simply have not.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:17 AM

Great. How much did he pay for his porsche V8? Maybe I can get one and put it in the maxima when my engine goes.

I already said I am getting factory mpg ratings at 240,000 miles using cheap oil and crappy filters. Plus, I am changing the oil on a regular basis getting out all the wear particles etc.

Tell me why I should be a believer in synthetics again. We seem to have an agreement on cold start damage to the engine so it would make more sense to change the engine oil often right?
Old 01-16-2005, 10:18 AM

Do you mean SuperTech oil? SuperTech is Wal-Marts in house oil. I was just there and (swallows pride) it was $0.88 a quart or $4.23 for the 5 quart jug. I never knew it was that cheap.

Mobil one sells for $22.50 regulary. $19.00 on sale (which runs every other week) or $16.00 when they have a super sale (I usually pick up a few then). So, deezo and Tork still save more money.

I do beleive this oil is a favorable dino at bobistheoilguy.com but no where near the longevity of synthetic.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=3;t=002084
Old 01-16-2005, 10:41 AM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by Torkaholic [COLOR=DarkOrange
] Sheesh, although it's one of my personal favorites, I almost forgot this one: ALMOST 20,000 ON MOBIL-1 0W-40
Click and see for yourself.

This is a somewhat extreme case, but remember that his numbers are skewed, as this is the oil that was put in at the factory. This guy has you beat by miles on the cost per mile of oil, filter, and changing. There's no dino in the world that will hold up to this treatment, let alone do so with decent numbers.

You can make us wait six months for pictures of your engine, whatever. YOU are the one who's claiming that syns aren't worth it, so it's YOU who had the burden to come forward and prove your point. So far, you simply have not
.[/COLOR]
Old 01-16-2005, 10:43 AM
OU > *

Not to mention those ****ty oil filters he uses have no ADBV so he is killin his engine on start-up.

And on your "best mpg" comment -- maybe you just drive like a ***** compared to the rest of the org'ers, many of whom have done modifications which may sacrifice a bit of economy. This argument holds no weight here.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:43 AM

Great. How much did he pay for his porsche V8? Maybe I can get one and put it in the maxima when my engine goes.

I already said I am getting factory mpg ratings at 240,000 miles using cheap oil and crappy filters. Plus, I am changing the oil on a regular basis getting out all the wear particles etc.

Tell me why I should be a believer in synthetics again. We seem to have an agreement on cold start damage to the engine so it would make more sense to change the engine oil often right?
No, let's see if you can come up some principled explanation for why what this guy got with the Porsche is not representative of the superior performance of syns. Your opinion of the cost of the vehicle comes up woefully short of that. Again, you ignore objective fact by trying to shift off to some other issue (cost of a Porsche -- hey, I couldn't afford one either).

So explain why what this guy saw in his car, using M1, is not a valid, probative, result. STILL waiting for something meaningful from you. . .
Old 01-16-2005, 11:16 AM

Say Jeff seeing that we are about the same age and I have nearly a minor in Economics I still can't figure out why it's cheaper than synthetic. I would figure that the only thing the Japanese would use would be synthetics. Just not the case is it?

"Just because your car still runs, doesn't mean it's in good condition," says Jeff. That was a good quote because I have a lot of parking lot dings in my car and some places where I didn't do a very good job with bondo. Still runs, gets great gas mileage and all the power as if it was new.

Someone still hasn't answered me why they don't put synthetic in our cars straight from the factory so they can tout higher gas mileage like you said in myth number 10.

Really. I tend to believe an automaker before I would believe the oil companies. Who has more and better engineers?

Look at Tom and Ray on Car Talk. Two mechanics that have degrees from MIT. Do you think they use synthetic oil?
Old 01-16-2005, 11:38 AM

{snip}
Someone still hasn't answered me why they don't put synthetic in our cars straight from the factory so they can tout higher gas mileage like you said in myth number 10.

Really. I tend to believe an automaker before I would believe the oil companies. Who has more and better engineers?
{snip}
Obviously, you're not really reading what's being posted, and you're certainly not grasping any of it.

I did explain it, and it's very apparent. It's because the car companies (like the oil companies) have as many bean counters on the staff as they do engineers.

It is far cheaper for the car makers to buy bulk quantities of low bidder dino than it is for them to buy bulk synthetic.

And how would a car company manager explain to the stockholders the use of bulk synthetic. Gee, we wanted to do the owners a favor? On the other hand, makers of cars that are being made with the expectation of high performance service often do use syns (again, Corvette, Porsche, MB, etc.). The fact is that the VQ is a clean runner and Nissan knows that they can easily get away with filling with dino at the factory, so they do what costs the least.

So yeah, since I said this before, someone has addressed this.

Now again, you're the one making the claim that syn isn't worth it. No more wiggling away, please, where is your EVIDENCE?????
Old 01-16-2005, 11:49 AM

Right there in the nissan books. No where do they say switch to synthetic. They don't put it in at the factory. The books say change your oil every 3,000 miles or three months , for the pathfinder it says change the oil every 7,500 miles.

You haven't produced one iota of evidence that I should be using synthetic. I have the experience of an older vehicle with like new performance.

Seems to me if Nissan thought synthetics were giving better mileage they would use it at the factory because of emission control standards and places like California increasing the mpg on all new cars to be sold in california.

I even have posts from another forum where they say it isn't warranted and goes against factory recommendations for oil changes.

Why don't you go here: http://cartalk.com/board/ubbthreads.php?Cat=&C=1

Post our arguement over synthetic and it's value and see what they say?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:04 PM

Right there in the nissan books. No where do they say switch to synthetic. They don't put it in at the factory. The books say change your oil every 3,000 miles or three months , for the pathfinder it says change the oil every 7,500 miles.

You haven't produced one iota of evidence that I should be using synthetic. I have the experience of an older vehicle with like new performance.

Seems to me if Nissan thought synthetics were giving better mileage they would use it at the factory because of emission control standards and places like California increasing the mpg on all new cars to be sold in california.

I even have posts from another forum where they say it isn't warranted and goes against factory recommendations for oil changes.

Why don't you go here: http://cartalk.com/board/ubbthreads.php?Cat=&C=1

Post our arguement over synthetic and it's value and see what they say?
Look, you're the one who decided to start a thread that tries to tell others that syn isn't worth the money, as you put it. Honestly, I don't care if you put horse pi$$ in your crankcase, it's your car, not mine. I did not start a thread that tries to inform you that you are wasting both your time and money (maybe someone should...).

I don't need to produce evidence that you should be using one oil or another, you do, since that's what YOU started this thread to do. Notwithstanding that, I (and several other members) have posted several objective lab analysis reports that show the obvious superiority of synthetic oil, especially over the long haul. You have done nothing but put up tired, illogical anecdotes to support your naked opinion.

Not that it will matter to you, but here's some more evidence for you. While you've been plodding forward, spending your weekends changing oil, and keeping your head firmly in the sand, here's an example of where the rest of the world is going. Look at what VW is doing over in Europe. They're selling cars with two available service regimes: long service in which the SYNTHETIC oil can run up to 30,000 miles, or a traditional plan in which the oil will be run to about 10,000 miles. No mention of anything like a 3/3. By the way, the German Castrol 0w-30 I'm now using is a close relative of the oil they're talking about in this report. I made a few calculations regarding my large stock of the stuff. With sales and discounts (I stock up when I encounter one) my average per quart price right now is about $3.50, so go re-run your numbers again. READ THIS
Old 01-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, experience.
If you had ANY experience in oils, you wouldn't have posted this thread. Every experienced person here knows this.

Stop flipflopping around the issues like John Kerry. You have no idea of what your saying, what you mean or what little knowledge you have about this and probably many other topics.

What was the point of this thread again? That synthetics are a waste of money. My mathimatics have proved your statement wrong.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:20 PM

How am I flip flopping? Nothing from Nissan. Nothing in Haynes or Chiltons. And I even posted topics from renouned mechanics. It won't do anything for my high mileage engine and since I haven't used synthetics from the beginning the damage or protection with synthetics is unsubstantiated. I still get factory specs and performance from my high mileage engine.

Why don't you post over there? Tell them I am flip flopping and ask their opinion. I think we need an unbiased opinion about nissan maxima high mileage and synthetics don't you?

Volkswagon-You picked a bad example. I am not impressed with any Volkswagon products they are overrated and over priced. They are probably made in China too, since Volkswagon is the largest car manufacturers in China and Mexico.

I laugh at that 1.8 Volkswagon. My 95 max has more power and gets better gas mileage that their piece of crap four banger with a rubber band in it. I have seen too many people unhappy with their new Volkswagons. Maybe that synthetic oil will help them sell to more consumers but it won't do a thing for me.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:33 PM

How am I flip flopping? Nothing from Nissan. Nothing in Haynes or Chiltons. And I even posted topics from renouned mechanics. It won't do anything for my high mileage engine and since I haven't used synthetics from the beginning the damage or protection with synthetics is unsubstantiated. I still get factory specs and performance from my high mileage engine.

Why don't you post over there? Tell them I am flip flopping and ask their opinion. I think we need an unbiased opinion about nissan maxima high mileage and synthetics don't you?

Volkswagon-You picked a bad example. I am not impressed with any Volkswagon products they are overrated and over priced. They are probably made in China too, since Volkswagon is the largest car manufacturers in China and Mexico.

I laugh at that 1.8 Volkswagon. My 95 max has more power and gets better gas mileage that their piece of crap four banger with a rubber band in it. I have seen too many people unhappy with their new Volkswagons. Maybe that synthetic oil will help them sell to more consumers but it won't do a thing for me.
Still ZERO from you. Few mfrs and manuals specifically recommend synthetic oil, and yet, there are reams and reams of evidence of its superiority. All of which you choose to ignore in favor of your naked, unsupported opinion.

You may not like VW (hey, I don't own one either), but that doesn't matter. I kinda figured you'd miss the point. The 1.8T 4 cyl (I hope your V-6 keeps up with it, it's a V-6...) may not be a stellar engine, but be that as it may VW is willing to stand behind it even with a 30,000 mile oil change interval -- so long as you use the correct synthetic oil. All those German engineers do know what they're doing, I imagine. . . Laugh at it all you want -- I'll be laughing at you under your car when I'm enjoying a weekend with my kids.

Four pages of this nonsense, and you're still dodging the main point: YOU made a claim in starting this thread, and YOU have not offered any valid evidence to support it. STILL waiting. . .
Old 01-16-2005, 12:48 PM

A V6 that has about the same amount of horsepower as my old Dodge Daytona turbo. Yeah, my old engine will outlast and out perform that VW any day of the week. German engineers? Don't you mean Chinese? Volkswagon is crap. I would go even so far as to say I wouldn't own a German car or motorcycle even after touring the BMW museum in Munich. I will stick with a maxima vq, infinity g35, or a Lexus V8.

Like I said if they were going to put synthetic in the Maxima wouldn't they already have done it? Just look at Consumer Reports and other magazines who do long term tests. You want frequent oil changes. No, you need frequent oil changes just to get any normal wear out of your engine.

What is stopping you from posting at Car Talk? There has been three of four of you who claim I am wrong. Post over there about it and see what they say. They know more about it than we do because they are mechanics right?
Old 01-16-2005, 01:17 PM

A V6 that has about the same amount of horsepower as my old Dodge Daytona turbo. Yeah, my old engine will outlast and out perform that VW any day of the week. German engineers? Don't you mean Chinese? Volkswagon is crap. I would go even so far as to say I wouldn't own a German car or motorcycle even after touring the BMW museum in Munich. I will stick with a maxima vq, infinity g35, or a Lexus V8.

Like I said if they were going to put synthetic in the Maxima wouldn't they already have done it? Just look at Consumer Reports and other magazines who do long term tests. You want frequent oil changes. No, you need frequent oil changes just to get any normal wear out of your engine.

What is stopping you from posting at Car Talk? There has been three of four of you who claim I am wrong. Post over there about it and see what they say. They are more about it than we do because they are mechanics right?
Despite my repeated requests, you have failed to offer any objective evidence to support the position you stated in your initial post and when you named this thread. I will therefore assume that you have none, and dismiss your assertions as nothing more than raw opinion. I've got evidence to back up where I'm coming from and you don't.

That VW makes a less-than-perfect car makes my point even stronger -- they're standing behind a weak product, on 30k mile OCI, so long as you use good syns. That would be easy for Nissan or Toyota to do, but means more since VW is willing to do it.

STILL, STILL waiting for some from evidence from you (but not expecting much at this point. . .).
Old 01-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Chassis Freak

Holy fxck, this thread is amaizing...Armelius is clearly but refuses to give up.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:37 PM

here buddy, I can't cut and paste but it's on that vw link:

with time/distance oil change the service period is 10,000 miles or 12 months. With Longlife it could be anywhere between 9,000 miles or 12 months up to 30,000 miles.

Now I know you know English and can read what they are talking about. Unfortunately for me I have no idea what this means:

That VW makes a less-than-perfect car makes my point even stronger -- they're standing behind a weak product, on 30k mile OCI, so long as you use good syns. That would be easy for Nissan or Toyota to do, but means more since VW is willing to do it.

Where is that owned?
Old 01-16-2005, 01:52 PM

Here: http://cartalk.com/board/showflat.ph...b=5&o=&fpart=1

What is wrong is the dealer telling you there's nothing wrong. You know it's not supposed to shift like that. I'm assuming this car is still under warranty. Keep going back until they fix it.

I could go into my normal rant about late model VWs but I won't. As a former VW owner and fan, though, I must say that Volkswagen has done a marvelous job of squandering, there's no other word for it, their reputation for building reliable cars. What a shame.

Drivers wanted!

And this: http://cartalk.com/board/showflat.ph...b=5&o=&fpart=1
Old 01-16-2005, 02:12 PM

Pics under the valve cover yet?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:16 PM

Six months from now.

But until then you can read and weep: http://cartalk.com/board/showflat.ph...b=5&o=&fpart=1
Old 01-16-2005, 02:20 PM

So a guy bought an abused used car? Why are you waiting six months?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:23 PM

From the message board you posted (did you read?)

http://cartalk.com/board/showflat.ph...=&fpart=3&vc=1

Not to worry, 789, you've made the wiser choice by switching to synthetic lubrication, and your engine will in no way 'blow up' because of this, but rather benefit as compared to petroleum motoroils. As others have mentioned in this thread, synthetic and conventional are compatable, but the superior characteristic advantages of the synthetic are quite compromised when mixing the two in any amounts over a few ounces. The old saying you really do get what you pay for is quite true even in the field of lubricants and the best most costly 'dino' conventional oil cannot even begin to keep up with the superior advantages of the least synthetic, which will always cost more. One has to ask themselves, what's more important to their pocketbook: getting from point A to point B -"me not worry about small thing like oil"..., or maybe a great detail waxjob and shiny wheels and booming stereo is most important in your driving life, or as far as lubricants are concerned, a kickass nearly bulletproof engine, transmission and differential for high performance, high mileage and the least mechanical stress while all manner of driving ?
It's quite true that all military and commercial jet aircraft use synthetic lubes exclusively because of the extremes the oil is subjected to as well as it's true the Europeans do change their oil and filters at typically, 12,000 to 18,000 US miles, (because of the higher gas and oil prices there)-but their oils are formulated with totally different and better additives than the 'dino' oil sold here.

What isn't true is the urban legends and myths on the internet about thousands of subjects, including that of synthetic vs. regular oil. Too much anecdotal speculation, not enough education with the Facts. As detective Joe Friday, on the old cop show, Dragnet used to say, "just the facts, sir, just give us the facts". Well, lubrication characteristics of synthetic vs. regular oil and even synthetics vs. other synthetics have been carefully documented in engineering labs, with standardized lubrication engineers benchmark tests such as the"four ball wear-scar test" that reveal the evidence in an abundance of facts. It's like the difference between an old VW bug beetle car and a Ferrari, the conventional oil is ok and works but doesn't stand a prayer of a chance in catching up, much less keeping up with synthetics.

In summary, Synthetic Oil Lubrication, the lifeblood of your vehicle, will do the following for you , no matter if it is a shopping mall-mobile, high performance racing hot rod, or off road dirt bike ,boat or heavytruck:

Synthetics are superior to regular oil in regards to:

1)Lubrication & preventing wear of critical parts
2)Permit far easier starting, especially in cold climates
3)Protection against internal rust/corrosion
4)Reducing friction (some carbureted car and motorbike engines easily pickup a couple of hundred rpm at idle)
5)Keep engine, trans and gearbox parts clean like a whistle
6)Cool engine and transmissions(in many cases by 10 to 30deg
7)Minimize combustion chamber deposits(very low ash)
8)Seal combustion pressures and minimize oil consumption
9)Prevent lubricant foaming.
10)Enhance fuel economy by some 5-11% depending on your vehicle.

Not all synthetic lubricants are formulated the same...if you want to know more about a 'cadillac' of synthetic oils that gets 25,000 miles between drain intervals without skipping a beat, then Private Message (PM)me for more info...
Old 01-16-2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by VQuick
Holy fxck, this thread is amaizing...Armelius is clearly but refuses to give up.
Yeah, he keeps posting threads that back up the benefits of synthetics over dino but since he didn't read them he thinks they help his case.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:33 PM

Yeah, I read it. That guy had what 25 posts? That's stamina. The guy who had over 1,000 posts had this to say: Whether conventional or synthetic, most oils will thin down to a point, then start to thicken back up, due to oxidation of the oil. As they thicken back up, they leave sludge deposits. What I'm saying is that, while the oil was in there too long, it's not nearly as bad as it could be. Just keep it changed on a regular basis with a good oil bearing the API Service SJ, SL or SM (brand new) designations.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:35 PM

What are you talking about again?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:40 PM

Talking about frequent oil changes. What does your manual say about it?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:43 PM

What part of that thread was I supposed to be reading and weeping?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:45 PM

The part about frequent oil changes. Looks like that guy had some oil to sell, did you private message him?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:47 PM

And the weeping part?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:50 PM

The cost. Next someone will tell me it's better to go 30,000 miles without an oil change again.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:52 PM

What cost?

Quick Reply: Cost of synthetic oil not worth it