Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:50 PM

need help

i went to nissan today to ask about a tranny flush and they said about 80 $ is this a ok price also they said i would void my warrente if i dont use nissan tranny oil plus they added they had a guy come in who switched his atf fluid to something not nissian and it started having problems and needed to have it flushed and eventually needed it replaced i wanna use amsoil just nervous that something may go wrong any help thank u
Old 01-24-2005, 06:46 PM

$80 isn't bad. I've seen many quotes much higher. As far as non-Nissan brand ATF goes, you will be okay as long as you stick to the equivalent called for in your owners manual...probably dexron III for an '03. Amsoil is a fine dexron III equivalent.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:28 AM

Watch out for the newer cars when selecting ATF. Nissan has departed from the old practice of prescribing a fluid that is compatible with Dex, Mercon, etc. Now, they require the use of one specific Nissan fluid, and warn of certain trans damage if you use anything else. As an example, the current Max requires the use of "Nissan Matic-K" in the 5-speed autos (not sure about the 4-speeds). My G35 (5-spd auto) manual basically says to use "Nissan Matic-J" or you will damage the trans. There are no equivalent alternative fluids that are allowed. Gee, not surprisingly, the Nissan ATFs are more expensive than the general OTC fluids. Go figure. . .