Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Redline MT-90 Fluid - Does it REALLY work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 05:52 PM

Redline MT-90 Fluid - Does it REALLY work?

Does this stuff really work? How often is it recommended that I change it? I'm not sure how **** the previous owner was when it comes to this.

How many quarts do I need to change my manual transmission fluid, anyways? Is it an involved process. Thanks!

BTW, looked at the FAQ's and the link: http://www.max-world.org/writeups/5t...rannymt90.html is dead.....
Old 03-10-2005, 06:00 PM

Your question on the volume required was answered yesterday or the day before.

According to the Haynes manual, the transaxle takes 9.25 to 10.125 pints (4.5 to 4.8 litres). I believe the LSD takes slightly less than the non-LSD.

I recently had mine changed at a Mr. Lube for Cdn$29.99 plus tax - Quaker State GL4 75W-90. I was looking for Redline at a local racing store and couldn't find any in GL4. Availability of US made products like this sucks in British Columbia.

The Haynes manual suggests replacing transaxle fluid every 30,000 miles which is what they told me when I had mine changed, although Nissan is silent on this. The owners manual states periodic inspections and replace when needed whenever that is. I couldn't be bothered using synthetic in the transaxle. Just replace it more often.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
Your question on the volume required was answered yesterday or the day before.

According to the Haynes manual, the transaxle takes 9.25 to 10.125 pints (4.5 to 4.8 litres). I believe the LSD takes slightly less than the non-LSD.

I recently had mine changed at a Mr. Lube for Cdn$29.99 plus tax - Quaker State GL4 75W-90. I was looking for Redline at a local racing store and couldn't find any in GL4. Availability of US made products like this sucks in British Columbia.

The Haynes manual suggests replacing transaxle fluid every 30,000 miles which is what they told me when I had mine changed, although Nissan is silent on this. The owners manual states periodic inspections and replace when needed whenever that is. I couldn't be bothered using synthetic in the transaxle. Just replace it more often.
Thanks a lot man! You answered all my ques! I really appreciate you taking to time to fill me in. Wish I had seen the post you were talkin about yesterday.... don't view the forums too often.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:11 PM

I'm sure others will rave about Redline, Amsoil and whatever. Its up to you. Whatever you do, specify GL4 NOT GL5 for the reasons stated repeatedly in the Fluids & Lubricants forum. If you elect not to go with synthetic, its easier just to take it to a Jiffy Lube or whatever they have in your neck of the woods. The cost differential relative to buying the gear oil and doing it yourself is peanuts and they can dispose of the old gear oil.

I often wonder what all the backyard mechanics do with their used fluids, eg. radiator, oil, transmission, power steering, brakes, clutch etc. I don't do any of this work myself and wouldn't have a clue how to properly dispose of it.

Consequently, I wonder how much of it is being properly disposed of. I doubt its all going to a recycling plant.

Excuse the rant!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:40 PM

I changed my fluid tonight. I picked-up Redline at a local race store. Buy 5 quarts. I could get 4 quarts of MT 90 or 4 quarts of MTL and one of the other. I got 4 of the MTL and 1 MT 90. MTL is a little lighter and much redder, for whatever that's worth. I paid $9.95/qt. I've seen it for $8.95-11.95/qt.

Its an easy job. Just remove the drain plug, drain the fluid, remove the upper plug, replace the drain plug, and fill the tranny. I used one of those $3 pumpst to pumpt the fluid out of the bottle with one tube and into the tranny with another at the same time. It was worth the $3.

That's the easy way. You can also drain by removing the big sensor at the bottom of the tranny. Its a round plastic plug-looking thing with a wire coming out of it. there is a 10mm bolt on the side of the sensor holding it to the tranny. The first time I drained my tranny using the sensor, I pried the plug out and cracked it. It was easy to replace but cost another $20 or so. I was smart tonight and very gently pried out the sensor after removing the bolt. Unfortunately, after draining the tranny I overtightened the bolt while replacing the sensor and the bolt broke. I had to use a left handed drill bit to remove the bolt from the hole. It was a pain. So, you can do it this way but be careful.

Its really very easy. You'll have no problem. Just be a little careful if you pull out the sensor to drain.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:08 PM
KH3 by popular demand

I sense that this thread will be moved .....
Old 03-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i know changin the tranny fluid makes the shifting easier and smoother, just exactly how much smoother and easier? because on my car, its pretty rigid, not sure if the previous owner changed the tranny fluid
Old 03-10-2005, 08:52 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by maximazation
not sure if the previous owner changed the tranny fluid
if your not sure the previous owner changed something or not, then thats a good enough reason to change it. the oil is not that expensive and replacing it is not too hard either.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by 96stillen_max
if your not sure the previous owner changed something or not, then thats a good enough reason to change it. the oil is not that expensive and replacing it is not too hard either.
Agreed. Advanced Auto here in the states just opened by me and they can special order these for $7.98/qt. Much easier than going to various race shops.

Combined with a short-shifter the notchiness using regular GL-4 is hard (damn near impossible in freezing temps). I've found MT-90 to be excellent for both our open and VLSD diffs. For only $40 can you afford not to protect our already problem trannys?

Oh, and here's the Canadian dealer link if anybody still needs.
http://www.redlineoil.com/dealers_in...=26&submit.y=5
Old 03-10-2005, 09:10 PM

Thanls for posting the dealers. The one I went to previously in Vancouver is the one shown. As I stated they had no Redline in a GL4, just GL5.

I'm still wondering what you people do with your old gear oil, etc.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you stay on top of your maintenace you can use whatever you want but like bejay1 said it is only 40$ to go syntho, redline mt-90 covers the stock fluid requirements better than redline mtl, as for the used gear oil it is just a matter of getting off our lazy duffs and taking it to a used oil collection center. haha
Old 03-11-2005, 01:06 AM
blah

You can also get Redline mt-90 off of myoilshop.com. With promo code I paid about $7 per quart. I had issues shifting from 3rd to 4th at high rpms (4k+) ever since I bought (didn't notice it during the test drive). I changed the oil which appeared to be the same oil the car came with and it appears that the problem is gone for good.

As far as disposing used car fluids, I just take it to the local gas station they take all crap I give them. I believe in the state of pennsylvaina the law states that all official inspection stations are supposed to take used oil and/or coolant for free.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:33 AM

ive been told that you dont even need to change your gear oil for a reaaly long time in a manual trani, aperently thats why its so inconvenient to check your levels and whatever. the manager at Lordco, this trani shop here, told me all this junk....and that you would never need a trani cooler in this kind of car no matter how ricey it got.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by dayglo
ive been told that you dont even need to change your gear oil for a reaaly long time in a manual trani, aperently thats why its so inconvenient to check your levels and whatever. the manager at Lordco, this trani shop here, told me all this junk....and that you would never need a trani cooler in this kind of car no matter how ricey it got.
I called several nissan dealerships and they said that our cars do not need to have fluids changed. One dealership said they do. Most of the schedules say not to bother, though the more aggressive nissan ones say you can.

In any case, I did, because MT90 5 quarts is not very expensive. I put it in my 97 recently and I think it's a touch better when cold, but I'm still not entirely sure. It does seem a bit lighter though with less difficulty pusshing into gear.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
Does this stuff really work?
It lubricrates, so yes it does. Is it the answer to Nissan's notchy synchros? Not really, but it does make shifting better than OEM gear oil, however some of the notchiness is still there. Here are my observations after 32k miles (changed after 30K and 60K):
  • Below freezing: Absolutely no notchiness when the gear oil is still cold. Much better than OEM gear oil.
  • During warmup, there is a "transition" point where MT-90 makes the shifts really notchy. Worse than OEM and that is pretty bad.
  • After the gearbox reaches operating temperature the shifts are slightly notchy, but still better than OEM.
Once the temperatures are above freezing, I don't have to deal with the real bad notchy shifts. I make a point to double clutch as much as possible when I feel it's going through the "transition" period to smooth the shifts and save the synchros as much as possible. I do wonder when it's cold if the smooth shifts are due to the MT-90's "good flow characteristics" or that the oil is just sitting on the pan doing nothing.

I should have tried the MTL/MT-90 mix the second time around, but didn't. I'm also considering going semi-syn next time (90K).
Old 03-17-2005, 06:23 AM

I have stock fluid for 60k, Changed it at 60 at the dealer - it was still hard to get into gear when cold and still notchy. Changed to redline Mt90 at 78k. Now It shifts MUCH better in cold weather and some notchiness is gone. It is not a miracle, but helps.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:59 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

My MR2 had slight grinding going into 3rd and MT-90 got rid of that problem
Old 05-10-2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
Thanls for posting the dealers. The one I went to previously in Vancouver is the one shown. As I stated they had no Redline in a GL4, just GL5.

I'm still wondering what you people do with your old gear oil, etc.
All my use fuilds go to a county recycling/transfer station - about a 10 minute drive from my house. They take oil, antifreeze, solvents, paint, batteries..you name it- no cost. Here in Virginia I have found that they take recycling seriously. But then I'm recycling nut...everyone should look up their county extension office and locate a recycling center. I might store about two or three oil changes worth and make a run.

Please don't be a turd and pour it onthe ground or throw it out in your regular trash!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by Ammi
My MR2 had slight grinding going into 3rd and MT-90 got rid of that problem

LOL, same here. That and replacing the shifter bushings with bearings.

I also run Redline in my 01 Max. I tried Amsoil, but since Amsoil changed stuff around, I went back to Redline.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:03 AM

If you are going to keep your vehicle for a while, why not use synthetic? The benefits are pretty evident and it's worth the extra cash.

As far as disposing of used oil and fluids, I take mine to the nearest Advance Auto. You can dispose of your junk at any place that sells or replaces oil, i.e. Jiffy Lube, Auto Zone, Pep Boys. There is no excuse to dump refuse into Mother Earth.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:04 AM
$tillenmax2k

MT-90 combined with the urethane shifter bushing from Top Element Tuning made my shifts very smooth and precise. I don't think the fluid was too much of an improvement over what was in there, but the bushing definitely contributes to the precision feel going into each gear. I just put in RedLine for the peace of mind of having quality fluid in our wimpy trans.