Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

anyone run into trouble after using SEAFOAM ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 06:19 PM

anyone run into trouble after using SEAFOAM ???

i plan on pickin up a bottle of SEAFOAM soon and puttin it in thru the brake booster.....i kno if i do it right my engine will be cleaned out and also my exhaust should smoke alot......i just recently changed out the o2 sensors and ive been told the exhuast smoke isnt good for the o2's.....

i was just wondering if anyone came across any problems after doin this?.....would it be ok if i unscrewed the o2's from the pipe b4 i use the seafoam?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:07 PM
KH3 by popular demand

I ran seafoam for the first time a couple weeks ago and have no problems, cleaned throttle body to and the car runs like new. I have heard if someone that ran it an threw a code. Seafoam shouldn't hurt though.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:29 PM

Don't use the whole can at once. Use like 1/3 or 1/2 the first time and then again the next day or next week or something
Old 03-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Made in Taiwan

i'm a regular seafoam user, you can ask me any questions you want about this seafoam stuff. i don't work for the seafoam company, but i have made tons of contact with them about the proper usage of this product.

it will be safe to run seafoam according to the directions provided by the seafoam company. our cars don't typically have trouble with this puppy. some older acura's and mazda's have fuel line problems running this seafoam stuff. but other than that, there isn't any problems running this thing.

i do a manifold cleaning with 1/4 bottle seafoam every wednesday. when i had to take out the manifold to slap in the MEVI, i found my manifold to be clean as heck!

i never did the brake booster seafoaming before though. other than that, i did pretty much everything else. and don't try to pour seafoam directly into the combustion chamber through the spark plug holes. this solution isn't supposed to stay in the chamber for too long. so by the time you pour them, and put back the spark plug ignition assembly, you are already f-ed. seafoam will clean up the carbonation and even the protective engine lubrication on the chamber walls. this will create frictional grinding and kill the molydenum coating that we fortunately have in the VQ's...
Old 03-27-2005, 09:07 PM

hey mr.CYU1 were can i find some seafoam, i live in the chicago land suburbs.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by wannaboostbad
hey mr.CYU1 were can i find some seafoam, i live in the chicago land suburbs.
I get mines from AutoZone
Old 03-27-2005, 09:22 PM

I tried using seafoam for the first time a few weeks ago. I did the treatments through the brake booster vacuum line and in the crankcase. it did just like everyone said about all the smoke that comes out the exhaust after the treatment. highly recommend using it in a well ventilated area and in a place where you are not going to **** off the neighbors. the overall effect was a little more response off the line, but i think it cleaned the crankcase too well. I poured in about a 1/3 of a can and let it run for about 5 - 7 minutes. i changed the oil afterwards and replaced the filter. after taking it out for my next drive, i noticed that i get a lot more clatter coming from my motor. My guess is that the lifters got a good cleaning and now they are moving alot more freely. I would suggest not to do this treatment, but that is up to you. I think just the vacuum treatment and the fuel tank treatment should give you the results you are looking for.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:49 AM

i have been used to putting 1/3 through the brake booster, shutting the car off for 10 min. Then starting it up and running it at 3 grand for another 5 or so until the smoke goes away. Is this right?
Old 03-28-2005, 06:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pour a 1/3 of Seafoam into a small cup. Use the brake booster cable and suck it in a little at a time. Once it's all injested, turn of the vehicle for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn on the car and let it run until all the smoke cleared out of your exhaust gas.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:23 AM

Bear with me here, ive never even heard of this stuff? When are you supposed to use it? I mean, as far as mileage intervals? Sorry guys, ive just never heard of this stuff before.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:26 PM

So basically there are four main ways of using it? Thru the tank, directly into the oil, brake line and vaccum line?

Which are the most safety ways of running this in the engine?

TIA !
Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by MIXMAX
I tried using seafoam for the first time a few weeks ago. I did the treatments through the brake booster vacuum line and in the crankcase. it did just like everyone said about all the smoke that comes out the exhaust after the treatment. highly recommend using it in a well ventilated area and in a place where you are not going to **** off the neighbors. the overall effect was a little more response off the line, but i think it cleaned the crankcase too well. I poured in about a 1/3 of a can and let it run for about 5 - 7 minutes. i changed the oil afterwards and replaced the filter. after taking it out for my next drive, i noticed that i get a lot more clatter coming from my motor. My guess is that the lifters got a good cleaning and now they are moving alot more freely. I would suggest not to do this treatment, but that is up to you. I think just the vacuum treatment and the fuel tank treatment should give you the results you are looking for.
Has anyone else had bad results from using this in the cranckcase?
This is the only treatment I haven't tried and I was thinking it might help with the VTC noises on a VE.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:24 PM
x91max

it wont help with vtc's because the spring is bad.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by x91max
it wont help with vtc's because the spring is bad.
yeah,... I know this. but does it harnm the galleys or does it improve flow?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:41 PM

I guess nobody cares??
Old 05-08-2007, 02:20 PM

Ive heard of people using Seafoam when I had my Camaro. I have personally never used it but heard good things about it.

Does anyone have a picture showing the vacuum hose for the brake booster on these cars? My car has 105k miles on it now, would it be recommended to do at this point? Ive noticed lately my average mpg is only 21-22 which I feel should be slightly higher. Maybe this will help.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:34 AM

Anyone think that would be bad for a 240,000 mile's 95 Maxima?.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:48 AM

If I just changed my oil last week should I wait until its time to do it again then run SEAFOAM or would it be ok to go ahead and do it and just change the oil 3k miles from now?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:55 AM

Don't do it now. Wait until just before the next oil change.

Originally Posted by LT1PnyKlr
If I just changed my oil last week should I wait until its time to do it again then run SEAFOAM or would it be ok to go ahead and do it and just change the oil 3k miles from now?
Old 05-12-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by nimmy
Anyone think that would be bad for a 240,000 mile's 95 Maxima?.
Doing it in smaller amounts should be fine instead of sucking in 1/3 of the can at the same. I would clean the throttle body first and drive your car around and then do the SeaFoam
If you're putting it in your oil then wait until your next oil change. If you're doing the brake booster method then you can do it now
Old 05-12-2007, 08:48 AM

I was planning on doing it through the bb line. Does anyone have a picture showing where this is and the insertion point for this method?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:06 AM

I was planning on doing it through the bb line. Does anyone have a picture showing where this is and the insertion point for this method?
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...3&postcount=39

Theres also a video somewhere (search youtube)
Old 05-13-2007, 05:56 AM

Thanks alot.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:07 PM

I've had good results with Seafoam. Never a problem. Made my old Accord run better and smoothed the idle.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:17 PM

I've used seafoam a few times. It's really nothing to be afraid of.

I personally wouldn't drive more than 50 or so miles with it in my crankcase. It really cleans things up, and you really don't want to worry about a clogged oil filter. I put it in, drive back and forth to work, then change the oil when I get home.

As far as dumping it in the tank, I put 1/2 a can in, run it down to just under a 1/4 tank, then change the fuel filter. Then I'll dump another 1/2 can in when I fill up next.

Doing the intake via the brake booster line is pretty straight forward. My main advice is not to do it in your own neighboorhood. I usually wait for a VERY windy day to do it, due to the amount of smoke it puts out.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:12 PM

In my bronco forums here is the recomended practice:

Use 1/2 to 2/3rds of the can through the brake booster. Once you are done with smoking out the neighborhood fill up the fuel tank and pour the rest in the tank. This will clean the spark plugs of all the errant crud that was dislodged in your combustion chambers.

I have not researched using this stuff in the crank case as the engine in my truck has 237,000 miles on it.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Before joining here I used it through the Tb on my 03 Matrix. I wasn't really impressed. I came across this this forum and discovered the 'brake booster' method and used it in my Moms sluggish '97 with 36k mi. It worked wonders!
I've since used it through the brake booster on my Matrix and '93 Grand Cherokee with great results. I've recommended it to friends and co workers. no ones had any problems.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nope, just ran 1/3 of a can through my 98 Max.
Before Seafoam:
CEL on. Bad knock sensor, all bad O2 sensors, bad EVAP Can.
Couldn't get it up to 88mph... Sucks gas like a 57 Edsel...

After Seafoam:
CEL OFF!!! CONSULT scan shows knock sensor only.
Gets to 110, feels like it can do more but I don't want to go to prison.
I still need to check mpg for a real number.

I wonder if this stuff managed to clean my O2's or just mask their faultiness somehow. Also, the EVAP can is supposed to be lifetime (about 100,000m i guess) and non replaceable, so I wonder if that was a ghost code due to something else...

I read through the forum and didnt find anything about cleaners fixing O2 codes, in fact Seafoam has apparently screwed up some peoples sensors.

Has anyone else had similar results?
Also, if the codes come back soon, I will edit my post.
And one more thing, if the knock sensor is bad, shouldnt it trip the CEL as well. I didn't reset my ECU, the light just went off by itself after about 15 miles.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 AM

its also recommended that u change ur plugs not long after u run it through the vaccuum line...i did the seafoam and the car felt extremely strong and responsive afterwards but then i changed the plugs and the car felt brand new again
Old 08-07-2007, 04:07 PM

I love seafoam great stuff.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my 02 max has 87k. since i hear good things bout sea faom im prob gonna do it. plus every spring i pour in the lucas furl stabilizer and always run premium gas.

my question is .... will seafaom make my engine too clean and itll leak oil? whats the brake boost thing i read? where else can i pour the foam in? and how much? can i pour it in engine? help me out.. im new here and joined so i can learn new stuff. thank you fellow members. and what about the lucas stuff? do i do all that cleaning stuff right before oil change? should i change my gas filter? whats a good mpg booster?

can u pm me thnkxx
Old 01-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Banned

I personally wouldn't use this stuff. At least with a 3rd Gen. Also there is a note on the can that says to think twice about using on high mileage engines (they state the amount). There is a tech bulletin from Nissan that says to avoid using these types of products on the 3rd Gen.

I used a can over a few applications, into the brake booster. The car worked fine for a day and then started to sputter occasionally at stop lights. Eventually the problem dissapeared, but it MAY have been caused by the Seafoam, I can't say for sure.

I also used 2 cans over a yr or more span, in the gas tank, to try and help pass emissions test, a yr or two ago I stopped.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:40 PM
STFU n00b!

Be careful using it in the brake booster line. the line is large enough that it's possible to suck a TON of it into the engine at once and hydrolock a cylinder. The way the intake manifolds are designed on the Maxima it isn't as big of a deal, but on the VG30DE (300ZX engine), the easy-to-access vacuum lines dump out at the end of the intake manifold and all of the fluid goes into cyl #6. pour it in too fast and it'll hydrolock that cylinder and you get to either rebuild or replace the engine..
(don't ask how I know...)
Old 01-31-2009, 09:09 AM

lol uh oh
Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Just did this a couple of days ago and the car runs beautifully. The only thing I can recommend when going through the brake booster line is to have the SeaFoam sucked in very slowly will maintaining RPM's in the 2000-2500 range.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:26 PM

Seafoam is generally a pretty good product, since it is a petroleum distillate, you can safely use it pretty much anywhere in the vehicle. I recommend using it regularly in the gas tank to clean out gunk in your fuel pump as well as in your crankcase every other oil change to clean out internal oxidation from condensation.

A word of caution when using it frequently through the intake manifold though. For those that don't know, for the product to do its magic the engine needs to be at operating temperature since heat is the catalyst that lets the solvent eat into the carbon deposits. The problem is that if you use this stuff often you will run the risk of moving carbon deposits from your intake manifold to your spark plugs which will then most certainly draw more current to operate (higher resistance) and ultimately, misfire. So the best time to use it via intake manifold is before you change your spark plugs.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 AM

dissconect the cat or cats before using it or u could toast em. and when u pore sum in thru the spark plug holes leave the plugs out and hand turn the engine over a coulple times to work the seafoam past the rings and u with have beter luck with it.