Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

About to change the oil, but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:07 AM

About to change the oil, but...

I had a question about where the drain plug is. Looking at the Owners manual doesn't quite do a good job showing exactly where it is. I'm no idiot when it comes to cars or trucks, and I wouldn't be asking this question had there not been minimal visability under the car - 8" or so of clearance isn't quite enough to fit my big head under to look around . I found the oil pan (black), and a bolt on the back side of it (facing the towards the rear of the car) attached to the pan. It's kind of hard to reach from any angle while sitting flat on the ground. I wanted to be absoultly sure this is the drain plug for the oil. I'd hate to drain the tranny accidently

Otherwise Mobile 1 Synthetic is ready to go in.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 AM

you can doooo ittttt...
Old 05-10-2005, 10:19 AM

Its on the passenger side facing towards the rear of the car.

I jack the car up and come at it from the front passenger door area. Its closer from the front of the front passenger wheel but I have weak hands to I can't get the leverage to loosen it that way.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:26 AM

Ok, then I'm heading in the right direction.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I have weak hands to I can't get the leverage to loosen it that way.
Two words: AIR TOOLS To remove the oil plug, that is if the wrench can get under there.

Thanks guys! BTW, I typically work on these kinds of play toys

As you can see, getting to the drain plug in the Jeep is a lot easier then on the Max.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:46 AM

Don't have the cash right now to pick up a compressor and air tools otherwise I would.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Banned

Speaking of oil changes, got one the other day, and it was the first time in 33,000 miles the car did'nt drip oil afterwards. They also said the plug was way overtorqued...I guess I wont be going back to Pep Boys if thats how they treat cars. I like the cheap prices of these places that change oil, but not as a primary thing (Monro, Speedy, PepBoys) But when it comes to it, they dont care as much, and it takes WAY longer (getting the car on a lift) Soo Ill spend $10 more for decent service thats fast from now on..Go Valvoline!
Old 05-10-2005, 11:17 AM

When I bought my Max I got it used from a friend that owns a autosports dealer. He had his mechanic do all the basics for me. Oil change, air filter, tire pressure and rotation, yatta, yatta, yatta.

I changed my oil for the first time 2 months ago only to find out the ***** put the drain plug on so tight I had to bang on the socket wrench with a stinkin rubber mallet for 5 minutes to loosen it. Went to pull the oil filter only to find out that not even my mechanic neighbor could get the damn thing off. Not even a filter wrench worked. I had to stab a stinkin screw driver thru it and tear the hell out of the filter until I was able to loosen it. Took me almost 1 and a half hours to change my oil. Sigh....
Old 05-10-2005, 12:15 PM
SuPeRmOd

this is why I am the only one to ever change the oil in my Max. You need to jack the car up to change the oil. No one is expected to fit underneath. You may want to get some copper washers and replace it each time on the drain plug.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Soo Ill spend $10 more for decent service thats fast from now on..Go Valvoline!

If you have read stickies, I remember Valvoline is in the list of NOT RECOMMENDED oils.

No to Jiffy Lube, BIG NO to Pepboys for anything !
Old 05-11-2005, 07:06 AM

Got er done. I purchased a 2 ton hydraulic jack for 9 bucks, where I placed the jack under the Uniframe. I got about 9”or 12" out of the Jack, where it allowed me to slide under the car... barly.

I was originally correct in assuming I had the drain plug. Sadly when I was looking for it the fist time the lighting conditions were really poor. I couldn't see what I was grabbing onto... even with a flash light I was still uncertain. Yesterday in daylight, having the car jacked up proved to work even better. Thanks all!
Old 05-12-2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Maxium
Got er done. I purchased a 2 ton hydraulic jack for 9 bucks, where I placed the jack under the Uniframe. I got about 9”or 12" out of the Jack, where it allowed me to slide under the car... barly.

I was originally correct in assuming I had the drain plug. Sadly when I was looking for it the fist time the lighting conditions were really poor. I couldn't see what I was grabbing onto... even with a flash light I was still uncertain. Yesterday in daylight, having the car jacked up proved to work even better. Thanks all!
You should have gotten a 2.5 ton or 3 ton. It's more expensive but it gets the car up higher, and you just might need to get the car higher one day.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Speaking of oil changes, got one the other day, and it was the first time in 33,000 miles the car did'nt drip oil afterwards. They also said the plug was way overtorqued...I guess I wont be going back to Pep Boys if thats how they treat cars. I like the cheap prices of these places that change oil, but not as a primary thing (Monro, Speedy, PepBoys) But when it comes to it, they dont care as much, and it takes WAY longer (getting the car on a lift) Soo Ill spend $10 more for decent service thats fast from now on..Go Valvoline!
I dont get it, you drive a $30,000 car but you want a $15 - 20 oil change, that they give you cheap oil and a cheap filter. Maybe you've got a lease and dont really care.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:10 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Maxium
No jack stands?!?!?! death wish?
I prefer the ramps, but can't get ones too high or you'll scrape. My only gripe: Why is the plug on the side of the pan and not the bottom? Even if jacked way up, thewhole is not parallel to the ground.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:26 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Any one who needs airl tools to loosen their oil pan plug is over tightening it (unless of course a shop did it). The oil pan is very soft, you are eventually going to strip the threads or deform it enough to get a slow leak. The oil pan nut does not hold the car together - stop overtightening it. Both the filter and the oil pan drain bolt should be easy to break loose by hand.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:27 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
No jack stands?!?!?! death wish?
I prefer the ramps, but can't get ones too high or you'll scrape. My only gripe: Why is the plug on the side of the pan and not the bottom? Even if jacked way up, thewhole is not parallel to the ground.
to that... for someone that claims to work on cars a lot - thats like breaking one of the most fundamental rules... (unless of course you did use jackstands but didn't mention it - because you assumed that was obvious).