Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Redline heavy shock proof oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 11:25 PM

Redline heavy shock proof oil

Can you use redline heavy shock proof gear oil in your trans' and if so how do you like it?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:48 PM

Anyone with knowledge on this trans fluid?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:59 PM
SomePsychoGuy

I know mardigras uses it. I doubt you will need it unless you are boosted or spraying or are in some other way putting a lot of stress on the tranny.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I have been using it for the last few months and have liked it so far. I put it in while it was still cold out and on cold mornings (20-30 degrees) it would need a few minutes or a few shifts to loosen up. The stuff is super thick, no fun to put in. You need a pump to get it in.

I called Redline about it before I used it and they did not recomend it for synchro type transmissions becasue it is not slippery enough and may not let the synchros work properly.

I have had regular GL-4 gear oil, Redline MT90, and now the Shock Proof. Once warmed up the shcok proof feels like the MT90 I would say.

I am having some tanny issues at the moment, but don't think it has anything to do with using the shock proof gear oil. But one of the things I am thinking about doing is switching to MT90 to see if things change.

I would not bother running it unless your boosted or spaying. I am running it to give me a little extra insurance against busting 3rd gear on a hard shift.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:23 PM

Thanx for the info, i am running 12psi supercharged so i definately might take this as an option casue i just blew out third gear in my old trans so now im wondering what fluid i should use for the 2000 trans that i have purchased with the quaife from my old trans. keep me posted on what happens when you switch back to mt90.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally Posted by maximamaybe74
Thanx for the info, i am running 12psi supercharged so i definately might take this as an option casue i just blew out third gear in my old trans so now im wondering what fluid i should use for the 2000 trans that i have purchased with the quaife from my old trans. keep me posted on what happens when you switch back to mt90.
It turns out not to be a fluid issue but my clutch master cylinder, so I have yet to have any problems with the heavy duty shock proof gear oil.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Lightly modded

Bump!

I was turned on to this product by the fellows at 2J Racing who race a 3.5/6 speed Sentra in SCCA events and they swear by the stuff. My transmission is making some noises/clunking and they recommended the HD oil because in their experience it has quieted down noisy transmissions and helped them last longer. Apparently they put this in every trans they touch and have had zero problems with it so far and they've been using it for many years.

Has anyone else heard anything good or bad about this in our transmissions?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 PM
STFU n00b!

I've been using the lightweight shockproof mixed 50% with MT-90 in my Maxima for about 8 years and 100k+ miles and my S14 race car for the last 6 years or so.

The car is very happy with it and synchros are just fine. I still go through input shaft bearings every couple of years, but that's just a normal thing with these trannies and track use.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 PM
SLOW

I wouldn't use it. It doesn't offer any better protection after a thousand miles or so once the paraffins have centrifuged out of the oil, and it will gum up the inside diameter of everything in the trans. If you were to continually replace it (to keep the benefit of the shockproof "particles") then you'd end up clogging up the oil passages, reducing synchronizer effectiveness, etc. If you don't continually replace it, then there's no reason to have it in there in the first place because it becomes worthless after about 1000 miles.

For a race car which has a trans that is repeatedly drained and refilled and torn down and cleaned frequently there is some benefit. For a street car it's at best rather ineffective after a short time, and at worst can be somewhat harmful over time as you'll close off oil passages and reduce lubrication to the moving parts inside the transmission. Then there's the fact that it is just really thick to begin with, and won't flow through the shafts and passages as well as thinner oil (even before you start gumming up those passages and further reducing the flow through them).
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I wouldn't use it. It doesn't offer any better protection after a thousand miles or so once the paraffins have centrifuged out of the oil, and it will gum up the inside diameter of everything in the trans. If you were to continually replace it (to keep the benefit of the shockproof "particles") then you'd end up clogging up the oil passages, reducing synchronizer effectiveness, etc. If you don't continually replace it, then there's no reason to have it in there in the first place because it becomes worthless after about 1000 miles.

For a race car which has a trans that is repeatedly drained and refilled and torn down and cleaned frequently there is some benefit. For a street car it's at best rather ineffective after a short time, and at worst can be somewhat harmful over time as you'll close off oil passages and reduce lubrication to the moving parts inside the transmission. Then there's the fact that it is just really thick to begin with, and won't flow through the shafts and passages as well as thinner oil (even before you start gumming up those passages and further reducing the flow through them).
Thanks Neal, that's some valuable information right there.

What are your thoughts on the lightweight shockproof oil, or the LW mixed with MT-90?

I'm currently using Amsoil, but am open to the Redline products if there's a good enough reason to switch.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:01 PM
SLOW

I don't know how much of the paraffins are in suspension in the LW vs the Heavy, it might be the same but it might not. Even if it is the same, the lightweight is at least a lower viscosity oil so it would flow through the transmission better than heavy and if you cut it with MT-90 it would flow even better. obviously a mix would have less gunk centrifuging out, but the less shockproof you have in there, the less 'benefit' (actual or perceived) there is as well.

I forgot to attach a pic that I have of the gunk I'm talking about. Here is a pic. The yellow stuff is basically the same consistency as peanut butter. Those are the paraffins that centrifuge out and gum up everything.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Lightly modded

So I was about ready to put some new Amsoil 75w-90 in my tranny

When I came across this stuff:

Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90
Amsoil link

It costs a little more than the regular 75w-90, but it sounds like it's more suited for a car that sees racing duty. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I was about ready to put the regular 75w-90 in the car but I think I'm going to hold off until I learn more about this product, because this trans can use all the protection it can get.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:21 PM
SLOW

that sounded like a GL-5 oil as I read the description and then I finally saw the spec, it is GL-5.

GL-5 will provide better gear surface protection because it won't smear away as easily as a GL-4 will. that is good. the bad is that that it can affect your synchros negatively for two reasons, the first of which is because it's so "slippery" . This may or may not be an issue, if you get gear grinds with a GL5 oil and not with a GL4 oil then what is happening is the slippery GL5 is not 'slowing down' or 'speeding up' (depending on if you're upshifting or downshifting) the gear to match shaft speed well enough. Secondly, the chemical properties of GL5 can damage yellow metal synchros (which our trans has, but some transmissions do not), but it's not as though the synchros are going to dissolve away or anything. i've taken apart plenty of yellow metal transmissions that had GL5 in them and the synchros were usually discolored somewhat, while the bearings that endured pressure (tapered roller bearings and needle bearings) and gear tooth faces were in great shape.

I'm not sure how many miles you have on the trans since the rebuild, but if your synchros are brand new (can't remember if you replaced them or not) I'd break it in for a couple thousand miles with a GL4 oil (which it sounds like you may have already done) and then maybe try a GL5. You are probably giving your synchros a workout given that you're autoXing so the GL5 might not work well enough with your synchros to avoid grinding on shifts, but if it doesn't grind at all then I'd say you are good to go.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
that sounded like a GL-5 oil as I read the description and then I finally saw the spec, it is GL-5.

GL-5 will provide better gear surface protection because it won't smear away as easily as a GL-4 will. that is good. the bad is that that it can affect your synchros negatively for two reasons, the first of which is because it's so "slippery" . This may or may not be an issue, if you get gear grinds with a GL5 oil and not with a GL4 oil then what is happening is the slippery GL5 is not 'slowing down' or 'speeding up' (depending on if you're upshifting or downshifting) the gear to match shaft speed well enough. Secondly, the chemical properties of GL5 can damage yellow metal synchros (which our trans has, but some transmissions do not), but it's not as though the synchros are going to dissolve away or anything. i've taken apart plenty of yellow metal transmissions that had GL5 in them and the synchros were usually discolored somewhat, while the bearings that endured pressure (tapered roller bearings and needle bearings) and gear tooth faces were in great shape.

I'm not sure how many miles you have on the trans since the rebuild, but if your synchros are brand new (can't remember if you replaced them or not) I'd break it in for a couple thousand miles with a GL4 oil (which it sounds like you may have already done) and then maybe try a GL5. You are probably giving your synchros a workout given that you're autoXing so the GL5 might not work well enough with your synchros to avoid grinding on shifts, but if it doesn't grind at all then I'd say you are good to go.
I've got 5,000 miles on the rebuild with regular Amsoil, which is why I'm getting ready to put new fluid in. I usually only have to downshift once during an autox run, so the synchros don't get used heavily. I do enjoy a nice downshift on the street, so it's probably best just to stick with the regular GL-4 stuff.

Thanks Neal!!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
So I was about ready to put some new Amsoil 75w-90 in my tranny

When I came across this stuff:

Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90
Amsoil link

It costs a little more than the regular 75w-90, but it sounds like it's more suited for a car that sees racing duty. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I was about ready to put the regular 75w-90 in the car but I think I'm going to hold off until I learn more about this product, because this trans can use all the protection it can get.
I definitely recommend you go with the GL-4 manual trans oil. This oil is specially formulated for use in transmissions of high performance vehicles

Severe Gear is a GL-5 rated gear oil and it could cause synchro problems. This lube is intended primarily for use in differentials.

Send me a PM for pricing. Site Sponsor

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...ubricants.html

or www.lubedealer.com/lonestarlubes

Last edited by talkinghorse; 08-18-2011 at 04:02 PM.