Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Question

I am sure this has been asked before and it is probably in the sticky's but i cant find it (Im sure the problem is user error). I have a 97 max SE with a little over 93K on it. I was thinking of switching to sythetic but i dont know if i should. There are no leaks unless you count a small drip for the oil sending unit it is nothing big so i havent changed it yet i probably will in the next couple of weeks. I change the oil every 3000 miles and before i owned it, it was the same. I know since i bought it from my parents.
So my question is can I/should I switch to Synthetic? If I do is there any brand i should use with the high mileage I have? Thanks for the help.

B
Old 01-12-2006, 11:30 PM

Yes, you can switch. The mileage on it won't matter. Synthetics can however find an existing leak, and start leaking more.
What mileage do you plan on changing synthetic oil at? 3000 miles on synthetics can get really expensive. And a good quality dino is just about as good up to that mileage for a whole lot cheaper. Synthetics become worth it primarily if you're doing extended oil change intervals.
As for brand, you'll get a lot of different answers as to which is best. I am currently running Castrol syntec 0w30 (the green German Castrol), and am impressed so far with my lack of startup noise and engine smoothness. I'll do a UOA at about 3000 miles to see how long I can run it. I've run Mobil 1 5w30 twice in the past, and got bad UOA's from it. Mobil 1 tends to run on the thin side of its labeled viscosity. And the VQ seems to like thicker 30 wt oils from my experience (and I've read that overseas, the VQ specs for a 15w40! ). That's one reason I'm running the German Castrol, as it is a thick 30 wt, and stays in grade better than Mobil 1. You can read more about GC at http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...ubb=forum;f=51 . It is a little hard to find, though.
Whatever you run, I suggest a UOA at about 3000 miles to help determine how much life is left in the oil. Then you can make a better decision about extended drains, and reap the true benefits of synthetics.

Dave
Old 01-13-2006, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the help. The extended oil changes dont concern me i just want to run something that is better for my car and will make my car last longer. But if i were to go for the extended oil changes it would be arounf the 5k mark. I will do some research and reading before i make the switch. What oil filter do you recomend when switching to synthetic?

B
Old 01-13-2006, 06:13 AM

As far as oil filter is concerned, stick with the Nissan OEM filter or alternatively, Purolator PureOne, Wix or Napa Gold.

Consider an AutoRX trial before switching to synthetic. See the website provided above (also under www.bobistheoilguy.com) and www.auto-rx.com.

I am nearly through my AutoRX trial (3,500 miles in total) and am switching to synthetic oil for the first time. However, my 95 SE, 5-speed, has only got 62,300 mostly highway miles on it.

By the way, your car is not a high miler by any stretch of the imagination. It is just getting broken in.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bobo
By the way, your car is not a high miler by any stretch of the imagination. It is just getting broken in.
Thats what a lot of people have been telling me.

Thanks for the input i will read up on that as well.

B
Old 01-13-2006, 07:22 AM

Bobo's right. AutoRX is highly recommended by a lot of knowledgeable people on BITOG.
Bobo's filter recommendations are good, also. When getting the OEM, make sure it is the 15208-9E000, and not the 15208-6****. The latter is reportedly on par with Fram, which aren't exactly known for their stellar quality. There's a sticky in this forum (I think from Bill98GXE) concerning this. The 9E000 is a quality filter with a good anti-drainback valve (very important to prevent startup noises and wear). It also has good filter media. Delaerships still carry them, but they aren't made anymore. So you may want to pick up a few while you're there ($5 each). Or you can go with one of the other filters listed below.
For Purolator, make sure it is the PureOne (a couple dollars more). It's part # is PL14610. It has a very high quality ADV with a silicone seal, which is more effective than nitrile rubber, esp at low temps. It has 400+ sq inches of filter media, and lots of deep pleats for better filtration. It's filtration is reportedly one of, if not the highest on the market, even passing the Mobil 1. It's available at Advance Auto for about $6.
The Mobil 1 M1-110 is a high quality filter on par with the PureOne. It has a synthetic filter media for excellent filtration, but doesn't have as large of a filter area as the PureOne. It's ADV is a good design with a nitrile rubber seal. It's readily available at AutoZone and Advance Auto, but is pricey at about $12.
The Napa Gold is a rebadged Wix, which is reported as a good filter. I don't have any experience with them (the others listed I have personally cut open to inspect), but wouldn't hesitate to use either if I shopped at Napa.
As for mileage, I have 108,000 on mine, and would consider mine just broken in. With proper care and feeding, these cars will last a long time.
5000 miles is a good OCI starting point for running a synthetic. I'd still get a UOA every once in awhile just so you can spot trends and take corrective action early if needed. And who knows, you may find that you can really bump up your OCI without causing any additional wear. This can save you money and time. Personally, I enjoy getting under my car to change oil 'cause it gives me a chance to inspect my undercarriage. Plus at my age, it is ingrained in my mind that oil only lasts 3000 miles, and some habits are very hard to break.

Dave
Old 01-13-2006, 07:47 AM

Thats awsome you guys have given me a lot of information to think about over the weekend. thanks for all the help. ill post what i decide to do and what my results and stuff are.

On a side note where do i go to ask questions about my tranny? I have a couple questions i need answers to. thanks again.

B