Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

A/T transmission oil drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 01:38 PM

A/T transmission oil drain plug

I'm about to run to the store to get a tool to open the plug. Just making sure to get the right tool. I'd like to confirm, before this thread gets deleted.
I saw a plug (not on the black oil pan, but on the trans block) pointing down and toward the front. It has a hole that you need a tool to fit in there to turn it. Is it the right place to start???
Old 02-12-2006, 02:31 PM

I dont know. Have you looked in the manual?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:54 PM

allen key wrench
get a big one that's all i know. lol

it's pointing out towards the front of the car. and it's silver like you said.
and it's on the TRANSMISSION.

and p.s. don't be like me and ruin your tranny. make sure you fill it with matic-k nissan OEM fluid only.

peace out
Old 02-12-2006, 03:06 PM

Thanks. Yeah, it has a hole and I need a "key" to turn it. I'm on my way to the store. I already bought 5 quarts of Nissan K ($9.99 at the dealer, regular price).
Old 02-12-2006, 03:27 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

Do you have the four speed. If so check the manual I believe the four speeds use a different type. I guess you probably know if you are using the right fluid. I am getting ready to change mine but I have the four speed ****. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:17 PM

Piece of cake !

This is the most pleasant thing one can do for the Max. I bought the 10mm hex key and use my regular wrench. The plug went right out of with minimal force. I guess one can do without the wrench, using regular hex key. Only took me 10minutes (I've been prepared to do this).
The oil is blackish and not that pinkish (put a few drops on a cleanex). The new oil looks almost like blood. I don't care what people says, I will drain/refill every year from now on. The oil doesn't look too good after 29.5kmiles. Just by mixing with some new oil, I have to do this often. I drove for about 30minutes to warm up, and only 3 quarts came out. The only pain is the $9.99/quart ripoff. I think it's so much easier than the regular plug on the 4spd A/T. The head on that plug is about 2mm thick, it's hard to keep the wrench socket stay on.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by nick wolff
allen key wrench
get a big one that's all i know. lol

it's pointing out towards the front of the car. and it's silver like you said.
and it's on the TRANSMISSION.

and p.s. don't be like me and ruin your tranny. make sure you fill it with matic-k nissan OEM fluid only.

peace out
I used Amsoil synthetic ATF in mine at 30K miles and haven't had any problems. I'm nearing 50K miles.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
I used Amsoil synthetic ATF in mine at 30K miles and haven't had any problems. I'm nearing 50K miles.

Deuce, he's a 6th Gen... Only Nissan K in that baby... We 5th Gen can still play around with ATF brands...

MaxFan, this is the best preventive maintenace you can do for your tranny. Once a year (maybe even twice if you get a nice tax refund) is a good plan.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:32 PM

i went to MOBIL 1 ATF SYN and it seems smoother, but once in a while I get wierd feeling in tranny like it's hunting or shuttering. It's chirped once or twice, which was kinda odd.

I d k if i should go to regular mobil ATF or do ATF SYN.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by GimmeTorq
Deuce, he's a 6th Gen... Only Nissan K in that baby... We 5th Gen can still play around with ATF brands...

MaxFan, this is the best preventive maintenace you can do for your tranny. Once a year (maybe even twice if you get a nice tax refund) is a good plan.

All righty then.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by FishyMan
i went to MOBIL 1 ATF SYN and it seems smoother, but once in a while I get wierd feeling in tranny like it's hunting or shuttering. It's chirped once or twice, which was kinda odd.

I d k if i should go to regular mobil ATF or do ATF SYN.
After battling with inconsistent shifts with Mobil1 for several months, I decided to follow a recommendation from another forum of removing the neg cable of the battery overnight. The TCM has a "Memory Battery Backup" pin which gets power from the battery all the time. By disconecting the battery, you're causing the TCM to "loose" any parameter values learned and forcing the TCM to relearn them as you drive. After doing it, the tranny feels better than ever. It will cost nothing (just having to reprogram your radio stations ). Give it a try and see hoew it works for you...
Old 03-01-2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by GimmeTorq
After battling with inconsistent shifts with Mobil1 for several months, I decided to follow a recommendation from another forum of removing the neg cable of the battery overnight. The TCM has a "Memory Battery Backup" pin which gets power from the battery all the time. By disconecting the battery, you're causing the TCM to "loose" any parameter values learned and forcing the TCM to relearn them as you drive. After doing it, the tranny feels better than ever. It will cost nothing (just having to reprogram your radio stations ). Give it a try and see hoew it works for you...

that is interesting.. i have a 97 and i'll give it a shot. i also gotta reset my CLOCK !!!! hahah

thanks.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by FishyMan
that is interesting.. i have a 97 and i'll give it a shot. i also gotta reset my CLOCK !!!! hahah

thanks.
I guess that if your 97 has an electronically controlled tranny with a TCM, it should be similar. If you have access to schematics (Haynes manual) or Nissan Service Manual, look for the TCM circuitry to make sure...
Old 03-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Hooooooonda.....

wtf are you guys talking about?