Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Fuel Injector Cleaner for Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 03:24 PM

Fuel Injector Cleaner for Maxima?

Well, my '01 Maxima has about 64K miles on it and it seems to have lost some power (or throttle responsiveness, so to speak).

I am planning to use a bottle of the so-called fuel injector cleaner (of course, the name brand Chevron, no STP whatsoever).

Will it do any good or am I ruining my Maxima's O2 sensors/cat converter? I have used 91 gas since it was new.

Any experience or comments?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by jzwu
Well, my '01 Maxima has about 64K miles on it and it seems to have lost some power (or throttle responsiveness, so to speak).

I am planning to use a bottle of the so-called fuel injector cleaner (of course, the name brand Chevron, no STP whatsoever).

Will it do any good or am I ruining my Maxima's O2 sensors/cat converter? I have used 91 gas since it was new.

Any experience or comments?
I don't think fuel injectors will ruine your O2's... that's mainly SeaFoam. Don't expect any drastic results because it's not something that typically makes a noticeable difference.

If you've never used it before then I'd recommend doing so because it can only help. Shell actually puts this stuff directly into their Premium fuel.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:17 PM

Thanks! I know Seafoam is the thing to avoid at all cost.

I searched the net. It seems safe to use the fuel inject cleaner but the results are mixed at best.

Another suggestion I got is to use different brands of premium (91?) gas since all oil companies put cleaner additives into it and they work in different ways. By using them all, you reap the benefits of them all (I hope).
Old 02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Fortuna Favet Fortibus

The dealer actually has a fuel injector cleaner service. They disconnect the fuel rail and actually run the cleaner through the injectors. I had that done with a throttle body service and thought it made everything run a bit nicer.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Pointy Elbows

If you do get some cleaner, get the BG 44K cleaner. http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html
I've used it before, as have many others on the forum. I should probably order another can soon. Check around for the best price. (and no, that is NOT soda pop)
Old 02-21-2006, 04:55 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Chevron Techron is the only one I would ever put in my car. I use it 500 miles before every oil change.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:51 PM
HOOSIER Daddy?

I've been told from a wrecker service that i used to work for that fuel injector cleaners... when put through the fuel tank are not really good for the car. I did it to my '95 max and it seemed to hurt it more than help it. I've also been told that using it repeatedly... such as 500 miles before every oil change is a big "no no"

Just my .02
Old 02-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have you advanced the timing on your Max to 17*? I had a 2000 Max with over 100K miles on it, I thought it was getting a little bit doggy, so I replaced the plugs, which was certainly due by any standards and had the local dealership advance the timing. When I left the dealership, I was pleased with the added spunk off the line and the car just seemed to run better all around. I had always used premium fuel and I finally found a way to take advantage of it! If you haven't advanced your timing yet, you might want to consider it.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:30 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by ressling
I've been told from a wrecker service that i used to work for that fuel injector cleaners... when put through the fuel tank are not really good for the car. I did it to my '95 max and it seemed to hurt it more than help it. I've also been told that using it repeatedly... such as 500 miles before every oil change is a big "no no"

Just my .02
So what makes it so bad when used repeatedly? I am going to ask that you substantiate your claims here.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:48 PM

Surprised that this post has gone this long before someone said "maybe it isn't your injectors..." so I'll say it... Maybe it isn't your injectors. Or fuel system at all... What other symptoms are there? I'm sure you would have changed your air filter at least before coming to the conclusion that it is your fuel system. As far as fuel injector cleaner goes... If your injectors are plugged or otherwise screwed up, a bottle in the tank isn't going to do ****. Well, the BK44 might do a little but for $15++ a can I would look elsewhere first... My $.02 worth
Old 02-21-2006, 07:49 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Ramberg and Audtatious are older than you.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Ramberg and Audtatious are older than you.
Damn! I feel better now! At least I robbed the cradle and am happily married to a 33 year old brunette!
Old 02-22-2006, 01:58 AM

If you're going to use anything, use a Fuel SYSTEM Cleaner. Same bottle, stronger package. Valvoline, Redline, Chevron, etc.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:18 AM

Waaaiiiit a sec.... i thought Seafoam was like one of the best things to happen to engines around here, at least thats what it seemed like from reading old threads, i havent used it in a while but it didnt affect my O2's or anything. Guys put it in the gas, crankcase, run it through the engine through the brake booster line, all that stuff. I also thought Lucas Oil's fuel injector cleaner was pretty good, along with chevron
Old 02-22-2006, 05:26 AM

I have run seafoam twice now with out a problem....

I love the stuff.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
Waaaiiiit a sec.... i thought Seafoam was like one of the best things to happen to engines around here, at least thats what it seemed like from reading old threads, i havent used it in a while but it didnt affect my O2's or anything. Guys put it in the gas, crankcase, run it through the engine through the brake booster line, all that stuff. I also thought Lucas Oil's fuel injector cleaner was pretty good, along with chevron

seafom through the brake booster is one of the first things i did to my 2002 SE when i got it (used with 40k on the odo) because of everyone raving about it on the org.

i had no problems using it. did not make a night and day difference but the car ran smoother afterwards. also i had a nice feeling that the gunk in the intake manifold was cleared out
Old 02-22-2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by bvenvert
Have you advanced the timing on your Max to 17*? I had a 2000 Max with over 100K miles on it, I thought it was getting a little bit doggy, so I replaced the plugs, which was certainly due by any standards and had the local dealership advance the timing. When I left the dealership, I was pleased with the added spunk off the line and the car just seemed to run better all around. I had always used premium fuel and I finally found a way to take advantage of it! If you haven't advanced your timing yet, you might want to consider it.

Well, I have changed out the air filter multiple times so it is not the issue. Advancing timing is a good idea. But again, isn't the ECU supposed to do that when you drive aggressively, i.e., ECU learning? Once you start normal driving, it will retard back the timing.

Perhaps ECU learning is only to a certain degree. Can I advance the timing myself somehow? I hate the dealer(stealer)ship. Last oil change took me a whooping full hour.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:43 AM

I have sea foamed twice without any problems and I use chevron techron injector cleaner all the time with no problems. just my .02
Old 02-22-2006, 12:06 PM

Since puppetmaster didn't do, it I will.

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=70
Old 02-22-2006, 04:18 PM

I always thought quailty gas had plenty of cleaners. So fuel injection cleaner seems like a waste of money. I mean come on I've seen some costing .99 and others costing 15.00. How big a difference is it gonna make in your cars performance.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by teamsinister
I have sea foamed twice without any problems and I use chevron techron injector cleaner all the time with no problems. just my .02
....me too
Old 02-22-2006, 06:24 PM
I Know Kwaliti

BG44K gas_tank + seafoam crankcase = I like
Old 02-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just put a can of seafoam in the gas tank, made a big difference. Ran a lot smoother.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:15 PM

Seafoam won't hurt... Techron Concentrate and Redline SI-1 seem to have better formulations.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:26 AM

I use one can of BG 44K every 5000 mi . It works very well.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:38 AM

Has anyone tried the one available at the dealer? I've heard that you should only use OEM.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:45 PM
The Definitive AE Master

From my understanding, the type of fuel cleaners that you insert into your gas tank are bad due to the chemicals used to break up deposits that originally clogged your fuel line.

So in theory, the chemicals are breaking up deposits stuck into your fuel filter and making them travel downstream where they eventually plug up the fuel injectors.

Now don't go all crazy on me now, this is what i've been told and isn't my personal opinion.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by jackwu
I use one can of BG 44K every 5000 mi . It works very well.
Not a good idea as per BG44Ks directions. I use it as well but much less frequently. I believe they state that it can damage seals if used to much. Follow the manufactures directions.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:54 PM

i'd rather get it done by someone who has the machine to do it
Old 02-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Cletus

people (newbies) that post stuff like they are an authority crack me up.
seafoam - will not hurt your O2 sensors
cevron - no better then STP
BG44K - the only injector cleaner that actually works
Old 02-23-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
people (newbies) that post stuff like they are an authority crack me up.
seafoam - will not hurt your O2 sensors
cevron - no better then STP
BG44K - the only injector cleaner that actually works
Wow... lame. I guess since you've got over 5,800 posts in a little over 2 years... you ARE an "authority" and can look down on "newbies" at your own descretion.

NOT cool dude.

And what is "cevron"? I don't know much about cars and I've never heard of it... Maybe you do know a lot more after all. So I'm sorry, I take my previous remarks back.

I'm sorry jzwu if I mislead you. I see after reading my original post that it sounds like I was sure seafoam messes up your O2's when in fact that's not my opinion. I always start my thoughts with "I think" so it doesn't sound like I'm making any kind of definite statement... but it didn't work out so well that time. What I was thinking at the time was that I know fuel injectors shouldn't effect O2's but the only time I've seen seen people say somthing was ruining their O2 sensors was when they were talking about Seafoam.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=3109528
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=391825

Seafoam shouldn't hurt your O2's but some people suspect that it might. I actually plan to use Seafoam this summer for the first time...
Old 02-24-2006, 09:26 AM

I see all these opinions/arguments. Everyone is entitled to express one's thoughts. This is actually a good demonstration of democracy, not often seen in my native country.

For myself, I have poured in one bottle of Chevron Techron fuel inject cleaner in the gas tank. Whatever it does or not do, so be it.

Peace, guys. The sky won't fall whatever you do to your car.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Cletus

dealerships use BG44K and seafoam
Old 02-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by trigger005
I guess since you've got over 5,800 posts in a little over 2 years... you ARE an "authority" and can look down on "newbies" at your own descretion.
DING DING DING

Old 02-24-2006, 11:59 AM

Chevron w/ Techron every 3k miles FTW.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:06 PM

3M has fuel injector clean kit. The tool is expensive, but it cleans injectors directly. Cleaner is injected into fuel rail.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:04 PM

Yeah ive seen a lot of dealers, whether it be GM or nissan or whoever, advertising that they use BG fuel injector cleaner. Stuff really that good, and can we get it at the parts counter?
Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Chevron Techron is the only one I would ever put in my car. I use it 500 miles before every oil change.
This is what I do, too, and change oil every 7,500 miles. I am also older than 45 -- I worked for an oil company for 35 years before I retired in 1998. I'm also a Mechanical Engineer by training.

Yes, different oil companies use different fuel injector cleaner additives in their gasoline. Some put a higher treatment rates in their premium gasoline than the other grades. All put the government mandated minimum treatment rate in all of their grades. My experience is that most do not put in a high enough dosage to keep the injectors (and combustion chamber) clean. And certainly the mandated minimum is not enough. So those who say you should not use any additive are using it when they buy gasoline -- only at a lower treatment rate.

The oil company I worked for (not Chevron) used Techron in their gasoline (this company now has a different name due to merger and probably uses a different additive). I know from talking to the research scientists when I was working that Techron was among the best of these fuel system cleaners. So I stick with what I know. (Unless your Max has a carburator, don't waste your time with Gumout.)
Old 02-25-2006, 12:36 AM
still brewin'

has anyone used the valvoline FI cleaner. It's a 3 step process simmilar to seafoam. Bottle for the gas tank, hookup with apparatus for vacuum line, and TB cleaner with a little brush. My 2nd gen's MAF unit was put out of commission because of this product; it would'nt start. A call to Valvoline HQ confirmed this as soon as I told the tech my symptons.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
DING DING DING

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
I worked for an oil company for 35 years before I retired in 1998. I'm also a Mechanical Engineer by training.
Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
The oil company I worked for (not Chevron) used Techron in their gasoline (this company now has a different name due to merger and probably uses a different additive). I know from talking to the research scientists when I was working that Techron was among the best of these fuel system cleaners. So I stick with what I know. (Unless your Max has a carburator, don't waste your time with Gumout.)
Now thats what I'm talkin bout!

Techron

Quick Reply: Fuel Injector Cleaner for Maxima?