Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

BRAKE fluid question for 4th GEN (using valvoline one)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 07:14 PM

BRAKE fluid question for 4th GEN (using valvoline one)

I notice the valvoline brake-fluid says DOT 3 / DOT 4 system. The Owner's Manual says DOT 3. I'm not sure if the VALVOLINE brake fluid will harm more than it will do good.

I read somewhere that it was okay, but how about long term effects? Will it shock the system, seals and ruin it?

I'm planning to bleed using the VALVOLINE one. BTW, what was the bleed order? I bleed one side the other day and it turned from BROWN to CLEAR, what a major difference. Nice seeing nice fluid in the resoirvor.

I will continue to bleed the other corners, but I'm not sure if there's a bleed order for the 97 maxima. Also, the bleed bolt, do u guys loosen it ALOT to where it atually drips around the bolt pattern? or just the tip? I was afraid I would ruin the MC if I didn't loosen enough pressure.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:44 PM

Whats the bleed order?
Old 04-22-2006, 06:24 PM
STFU n00b!

download an FSM and do some searching please. there are literally thousands of websites out there that tell you how to bleed your brakes.

and no, the DOT3/4 fluids will not hurt your car. they are both compatible fluids- DOT4 just has a bit higher standards than DOT 3. But stay away from DOT 5 fluids. it IS NOT compatible as it's a silicone based fluid and does not wix with water.. DOT 5.1 is compatible with dot3/4, but I would still recommend staying away from it. the valvoline stuff is great fluid and cheap price.. it'll be fine for anything below full road course racing use (and I still use it in lighter track cars too).
Old 04-22-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
download an FSM and do some searching please. there are literally thousands of websites out there that tell you how to bleed your brakes.

and no, the DOT3/4 fluids will not hurt your car. they are both compatible fluids- DOT4 just has a bit higher standards than DOT 3. But stay away from DOT 5 fluids. it IS NOT compatible as it's a silicone based fluid and does not wix with water.. DOT 5.1 is compatible with dot3/4, but I would still recommend staying away from it. the valvoline stuff is great fluid and cheap price.. it'll be fine for anything below full road course racing use (and I still use it in lighter track cars too).
Thanks,

I know how to bleed, I've bleed before but I am not sure what the bleed order is for the maxima (4th gen); or if it even matters. I will buy some more VALVOLINE SYNPOWER fluid.

I just am not sure of the technical aspect of the bleeding cuz sometimes teh bleeder drips and sometimes it doesnt; correlation wise the more u loosen it the more it'll be easy to pump the pedal, yet expose air from entering?

Oh well, as long as the fluid is clear and no bubbles.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:58 PM
STFU n00b!

that's why I said to download an FSM and do some searching. the FSM plainly explains which order to bleed the brakes, and most of the writeups out there tell you to only crack the bleeders open.