Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Oil - Syn to Dyno and Dyno to Syn = Problems?

Old 12-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oil - Syn to Dyno and Dyno to Syn = Problems?

I was wondering. My car has always use Mobil SuperSyn as per the Service Records from the previous owner. I changed the oil with the regular Mobil. Have done so twice and will be switching back to Syn indefinitely at my next oil change.

Is the back and forth bad? I know its not alot but heard from someone it was bad and just wanted to verify here with the people that know.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2006, 05:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

I've never dyno'd with dino oil.

Just a question, why are you going back and forth?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:37 PM

It was not my intention... I was at the dealer, requested an oil change and forgot to specify SYN. The next oil change after that I just followed suit and continued with Dino. Next Oil change going back to SYN and will stay there.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:56 PM
dot dot dot ...

Ask for a flush prior to the switch. Not sure how much of a difference it will make, but it couldn't hurt.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm a Happy Man!

i dont believe its would cause anything major but i would recommend not switching back and fourth due to the thickness of the oil.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MaximaGT-R
i dont believe its would cause anything major but i would recommend not switching back and fourth due to the thickness of the oil.
How does viscosity (thickness) differ from Syn to conventional (dino)?
Old 12-05-2006, 06:15 AM

Viscosity doesn't vary between Synthetic & Conventional for a particular weight oil. Viscosity is a measurement of "runniness". You could measure molasses, honey, maple syrup and motor oil and they _could_ all have the same viscosity.

What is important about Synthetic is its ability to withstand thermal breakdown.

Oil has 2 primary jobs. 1) provide lubrication and 2) carry dirt & contaminants to the filter.

Since Synthetic doesn't break down under heat, it is capable of providing lubrication for a much longer period of time. Or thought of another way, Conventional motor oil will break down and ultimately not provide lubrication in a relatively short amount of time. This is why motor oil manufacturers recommend that you change your oil every 3000 miles. (That and they sell more.) And since conventional motor oil breaks down, not only does it loose its ability to lubricate, but the process of breaking down, creates dirt & contaminants that need to be filtered out. So conventional motor oil is, in a way, its own worst enemy.

Synthetic, while superior to conventional, will need to be changed regularly too. Even though it doesn't break down under heat, it does eventually become saturated with contaminants - thus it can no longer fulfill one of it's 2 jobs. Since synthetic doesn't break down, there are less issues with "sludge" in the engine. (Your mechanic will appreciate this when he has to change a valve cover gasket.)

It should also be noted that Synthetic is made from conventional motor oil, so, there really aren't any compatability issues per se. You can mix them together, although that's typically not recommended. In fact, many oil manufacturers sell blended oils - part synthetic & part conventional. This is done primarily for cost issues. It's good to know that you can mix, as if you happen to be in the middle of nowhere, and you have synth in the engine and the mom&pop gas station only has conventional, you can add a quart and not worry.

The real key here is to not mix viscosity. In other words, if you have 10w-30 in the engine, then only add 10w-30. It is generally accepted that switching from a summer weight oil (like 10w-40) to a winter weight oil (like 5w-30) is not an issue. In other words, you don't need to "flush" the engine. Just drain well & change the filter and your Max will be happy.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by JohnWEngle
Viscosity doesn't vary between Synthetic & Conventional for a particular weight oil. Viscosity is a measurement of "runniness". You could measure molasses, honey, maple syrup and motor oil and they _could_ all have the same viscosity.

What is important about Synthetic is its ability to withstand thermal breakdown.

Oil has 2 primary jobs. 1) provide lubrication and 2) carry dirt & contaminants to the filter.

Since Synthetic doesn't break down under heat, it is capable of providing lubrication for a much longer period of time. Or thought of another way, Conventional motor oil will break down and ultimately not provide lubrication in a relatively short amount of time. This is why motor oil manufacturers recommend that you change your oil every 3000 miles. (That and they sell more.) And since conventional motor oil breaks down, not only does it loose its ability to lubricate, but the process of breaking down, creates dirt & contaminants that need to be filtered out. So conventional motor oil is, in a way, its own worst enemy.

Synthetic, while superior to conventional, will need to be changed regularly too. Even though it doesn't break down under heat, it does eventually become saturated with contaminants - thus it can no longer fulfill one of it's 2 jobs. Since synthetic doesn't break down, there are less issues with "sludge" in the engine. (Your mechanic will appreciate this when he has to change a valve cover gasket.)

It should also be noted that Synthetic is made from conventional motor oil, so, there really aren't any compatability issues per se. You can mix them together, although that's typically not recommended. In fact, many oil manufacturers sell blended oils - part synthetic & part conventional. This is done primarily for cost issues. It's good to know that you can mix, as if you happen to be in the middle of nowhere, and you have synth in the engine and the mom&pop gas station only has conventional, you can add a quart and not worry.

The real key here is to not mix viscosity. In other words, if you have 10w-30 in the engine, then only add 10w-30. It is generally accepted that switching from a summer weight oil (like 10w-40) to a winter weight oil (like 5w-30) is not an issue. In other words, you don't need to "flush" the engine. Just drain well & change the filter and your Max will be happy.

Only 14 posts as I write this and yet very intelligent sounding. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

Viscosity doesn't vary between Synthetic & Conventional for a particular weight oil
That was my point.

In short, don't listen to MaximaGT-R.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:52 PM

Wowo

Your fine, its an old wives tale that its bad, its not, DONT FLUSH IT before going back, if you want to go nuts, run another dino and do auto Rx, but do not use a flush

Take care gents.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

3. Cool the cylinder walls and other surfaces that are subject to friction.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 AM
sky jumper

Originally Posted by kcryan
Wowo

Your fine, its an old wives tale that its bad, its not, DONT FLUSH IT before going back, if you want to go nuts, run another dino and do auto Rx, but do not use a flush

Take care gents.
I second that - DO NOT FLUSH. flushes are murder on your internals and are pointless unless you have clogged oil ways - which with a life of M1 you certainly do not have (btw you are one lucky b@stard to have found a used car that was only fed M1).

ARX is a safe product, but even so i wouldn't use it unless you outright suspect a need for it (sticky rings, sludge, etc) which again you shouldn't have.

just go back to M1 and be happy.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by sky jumper
I second that - DO NOT FLUSH. flushes are murder on your internals and are pointless unless you have clogged oil ways - which with a life of M1 you certainly do not have (btw you are one lucky b@stard to have found a used car that was only fed M1).

ARX is a safe product, but even so i wouldn't use it unless you outright suspect a need for it (sticky rings, sludge, etc) which again you shouldn't have.

just go back to M1 and be happy.
Yeah., I didn't believe the fv*ck3r but he had every single receipt for every oil change since new. I could never be that dedicated. Changed with M1 Syn since 9k every 4500-5000 miles.

Just gonna go back and be happy.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Good call. M1 has good detergency, so even if there are any deposits (unlikely), going back to M1 will clean them out anyway.