Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

? on antifreeze mixing??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:21 AM

? on antifreeze mixing??

I had my oil changed and the service center put green antifreeze in my tank when I already had the Toyota red in there? Will the green cancel out the benifits of the red being silicate free?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by mistaks
I had my oil changed and the service center put green antifreeze in my tank when I already had the Toyota red in there? Will the green cancel out the benifits of the red being silicate free?
Honestly you are f.cked but wait you have options to resolve the problem. I will flush it clean and put in the coolant of ur choice, I would personally go with Nissan Long Life Coolant. Mixing coolants is as bad as it can get -- how I know, well shelled out $800 on the repair for a cheap $8 OTC prestone bet.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 PM

This shld NOT be his prob when the oil change place screwed it up. I wouldn't want to have to go thru the time and cost to do it because THEY put in the wrong type or didn't bother to ask me, etc. Assuming it is their fault, he shld go back to them to make it right or document things and submit the bill to them after it is fixed.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
This shld NOT be his prob when the oil change place screwed it up. I wouldn't want to have to go thru the time and cost to do it because THEY put in the wrong type or didn't bother to ask me, etc. Assuming it is their fault, he shld go back to them to make it right or document things and submit the bill to them after it is fixed.
I agree he should not shell out cash to fix the issue, but just because its green does not mean it does have silicates. Granted, the odds are VERY high that it does, but color means nothing. Its just a dye and there is no standardization to colors in regards to coolant. Honda is blue, Toyota does varying shades of red, Nissan is green....etc.

I would make them flush it all clean (and prove it to you) and then fill it with silicate free coolant (and prove it to you).

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2007, 02:57 PM

I talked with the manager of the shop and he said that they use peak antifreeze that can be used for all makes and models. Also they said it was my fault that I told them not to top off the fluids since it was to the max line of the overflow tank before I went in there.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by mistaks
I talked with the manager of the shop and he said that they use peak antifreeze that can be used for all makes and models. Also they said it was my fault that I told them not to top off the fluids since it was to the max line of the overflow tank before I went in there.
Max line of overflow tank??? There's nothing wrong w/ that, so Then I'd ask them, why did you put anything in it to begin with? It's not your job as a customer to note every fluid level b4 going in for service...it's THEIR JOB - that's what you paid them for. Do what you want, but I'd not let this one go. Sure, in the event that it does no harm, then everything is ok, but think about the risk YOU take and don't forget that the green will change the color tint now of your fluid that was (shld have been) bright red. You might tend to always wonder what's going on w/ the AF w/ a color that shld not be there. ie. you could miss something. It's not hard to see a color change if you got a nice bright color of well taken care of fluid, but then add another color and ya got a change. Besides, they messed up. Simple question on their part would have prevented all of it. Make them eat it. They shld know better.

If it sounds like I'm ticked, its cause I am. I had my Caravan trans fluid changed last yr at a tranny shop and found out this year that Chrysler trans are extremely sensitive to fluid grade and so I called them on it and they put in DEX3 w/ an additive instead of ATF+3 since it was cheaper. Its all over the web of MANY probs w/ using DEX in stead of the Mopar or equivalent. Plus, no proof that the additive even works that great. Yeah, save $15 in fluid and risk MY tranny on it???!!! I just changed it out a month ago to get that crap out. I'm tired of shops putting in whatever they want at our expense down the road and then no way of proving what the crap caused it and then its our repair bill.

Go after it and make them eat it.

Last edited by MichMaxFan; 12-19-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:01 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
Max line of overflow tank??? There's nothing wrong w/ that, so Then I'd ask them, why did you put anything in it to begin with? ...

Go after it and make them eat it.
My sentiments. If you have the fluids at the "Max" then there is ZERO reason it needs to be topped off.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:58 PM

right , when you told them topp off the fluids,. the morons should realize that you did not sy ALL the fluids, when you say top them off you mean THE ONES THAT NEED ATTENTION, not automatically all the fluids...would they top off the tranny fluid too, even tho it doesnt need to be, effectively overfilling it ?

its all BS. i dont think they will do anything about it, cause its ur word against theirs, just never go back there again, and get your coolant power flushed with nissan long life coolant, this way you get the stuff that was designed for your car in there, and you replace 99.9 % of it.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:53 AM

Not good, but it was just a couple of ounces it's nothing to panic about.

They ought to drain and refill. If they're stubborn, just do it yourself.

Please dispose of the old coolant properly.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:50 PM

After a talk with there corporate office, they called me and said that they would do a flush and fill with there antifreeze. I told them that I wanted to use the red stuff and they balked. But after several go rounds they are going to flush the system and use the Toyota Red Coolant. All I asked for was the car to be the way it was before they filled it with the green stuff.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:04 PM

thats good news, fight the corporate ***** all the way man
Old 12-28-2007, 04:51 PM
blah

Personally you would have to hold a gun to my face for me to take my car in for a simple 10 min oil change. What you should have done is call nissan's corporate office and make them put a better colling system so you can put the cheap stuff in. My old car took the cheap $2 stuff and ran like a champ.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:34 AM

if you didnt drive it too much, green anitfreeze is probably just sitting in the overflow tank and didnt get sucked in that much. Rinse out the tank and do a quick flush of the cooling system, it may be ok.(next time)