Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Oil Change

I bought my 07 Maxima SL last month @ 24xxx I'm now at 3k past that and due for an oil change. I was on 6thgenmaxima.org and was reading some posts but I can't post a new thread yet on there.

Basically can someone point me in the right direction of what to use oil wise? My uncle works for STS and I normally only go there and have him do it on all my cars. Just lookin for some info since I want to go tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:43 PM

i use mobil 1 synthetic oil...
Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by blaxima06
i use mobil 1 synthetic oil...
Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 PM

i use mobil 1 synthetic oil, and mobile 1 filter.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Mobil1 X 2 FTW!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Smoken'04
I bought my 07 Maxima SL last month @ 24xxx I'm now at 3k past that and due for an oil change. I was on 6thgenmaxima.org and was reading some posts but I can't post a new thread yet on there.

Basically can someone point me in the right direction of what to use oil wise? My uncle works for STS and I normally only go there and have him do it on all my cars. Just lookin for some info since I want to go tomorrow.

Thanks!
I used Mobil 1 and Royal purple with A k&N oil filter and tried to compare them, Royal purple is better in my opinion power wise,they also make royal purple oil filters too but I never tried them. In my old Integra I use to try different oils everytime I would get A oil change just to compare and it had A ton of miles on it,it was amazing what that oil would do power wise.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:22 PM

I use Mobil 1 and the car seems to run smoother with it. Haven't compared it to anything else besides Pennzoil Yellow though...
Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 PM

I have always used castrol with a nissan oil filter.I tried shell oil and it used some oil last oil change.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned

I've got a few options for you all from AMSOIL.

BUY AMERICAN!!

Spec. calls for 4.5 quarts, so round up to 5 quart bottles.

Filter:

"Made with a full metal base plate for superior strength at the double seal & also feature a silicone anti-drainback valve. Glass-enhanced media in WIX oil filters offers greater efficiency, capturing more 10 to 12 micron sized particles than other cellulose/synthetic blend medias. "
Retail: $11.95
Preferred Customer Pricing: $8.95

Synthetic Oil Options:
SAE 0W-30 Synthetic Signature Series Oil

"The industry benchmark in lubrication technology. Designed for those who demand the absolute best in motor oil performance. The exclusive “extended drain” formulation delivers superior engine protection and maximum fuel economy and exceeds the requirements of modern, high performance and older engines."
Retail: $11.10/qt
Preferred Customer Pricing: $8.50/qt

SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

"Engineered to outperform all conventional gasoline engine motor oils. Reduces heat, friction, and wear for maximum performance and fuel efficiency. Clean engine formula resists high-temp breakdown that forms sludge and varnish. Lasts longer and offers better protection."
Retail: $8.90/qt
Preferred Customer Pricing: $6.95/qt

These synthetic oils can also be purchased in Gallon jugs and Cases of 12 quarts.

If you are interested in the savings of being a Preferred Customer, you can Sign Up Here.

There are also a host of other products for your filtration and lube needs. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 01-31-2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by HTPerformance
I've got a few options for you all from AMSOIL.

BUY AMERICAN!!
I like ur patriotism but then it should not bite the purse. Amsoil products are great, infact super great but doesn't have to go into your engine. Total waste of money, I did a UOA on my maxima at 150K miles with SuperTech dino 5W30 running it for 4K miles and the PPM #s came super, super, super low.

So dino is good for a VQ, upgrade to a good syn like M1/PP is super duper protection.

BTW, I am a great fan of Amsoil gear products and use is with full confidence in my other vehicles.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 PM

I use Mobil1 5w30 with a Purolator PureONE filter. Car still drives like the day I bought it.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by too_Da_MAX
i use mobil 1 synthetic oil, and mobile 1 filter.
thats what I use also!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:07 PM

I have read thru several of these threads regarding conventional vs synthetic vs brand. I've usually just used conventional or a blend, rarely synthetic. After reading some of this, I may be more inclined to use a synthetic, but wonder if it's worth it at this point. The vehicle in question is a '95 SE with 219k miles on it. I don't have a very good picture of the maintenance history, as I just got it. I have some receipts and it looks like mostly conventional oil, sometimes a blend. Overall, the car appears to have been taken care of "OK"...not great but not terrible either. I've not found any significant leaks, no drips at all actually. So based on this, is there any real benefit of moving to a synthetic oil this late in the car's life? I do want to keep this car as long as possible, but don't want to simply waste money on synthetic oil if no benefit will be seen.

I had a Subaru with 346k miles on it when I got rid of it (had 320k when I got it), and always used conventional oil in it with no issues. However, I'd like to start off different with this one and do what I can to get the most life out of it. I've never used a "proper" motor flush (other than diesel one time in a car) and never ran full synthetic for any length of time either...is it really of benefit to do so? If so, with what (Seafoam or Auto-RX pop up a lot)? Is using diesel, ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil just as effective?

As far as brands, seems like Mobile 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple and Pennzoil Platinum get the nods for full synthetic, along with the Amsoil or Wix filters...right? Okay, thanks much!
Old 03-06-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ChiknNutz
I have read thru several of these threads regarding conventional vs synthetic vs brand. I've usually just used conventional or a blend, rarely synthetic. After reading some of this, I may be more inclined to use a synthetic, but wonder if it's worth it at this point. The vehicle in question is a '95 SE with 219k miles on it. I don't have a very good picture of the maintenance history, as I just got it. I have some receipts and it looks like mostly conventional oil, sometimes a blend. Overall, the car appears to have been taken care of "OK"...not great but not terrible either. I've not found any significant leaks, no drips at all actually. So based on this, is there any real benefit of moving to a synthetic oil this late in the car's life? I do want to keep this car as long as possible, but don't want to simply waste money on synthetic oil if no benefit will be seen.

I had a Subaru with 346k miles on it when I got rid of it (had 320k when I got it), and always used conventional oil in it with no issues. However, I'd like to start off different with this one and do what I can to get the most life out of it. I've never used a "proper" motor flush (other than diesel one time in a car) and never ran full synthetic for any length of time either...is it really of benefit to do so? If so, with what (Seafoam or Auto-RX pop up a lot)? Is using diesel, ATF or Marvel Mystery Oil just as effective?

As far as brands, seems like Mobile 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple and Pennzoil Platinum get the nods for full synthetic, along with the Amsoil or Wix filters...right? Okay, thanks much!
Absolutely NO NEED to go synthetic. I would be more tempted to do an AutoRx run, then use any High Mileage oil you can find on sale.

I run syn because I like the peace of mind it gives me and because I can afford it. I don't run extended OCI's, so - yes I'm wasting money. But it makes me FEEL better - and my driving experience is all about feel.

I've run M1, Amsoil, GC, PP and QS synthetics - all worked fine.

Hope some of this helps!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback. That's really what I thought to be the case, but wanted to bounce it off some others for confirmation. I do plan to start using Wix filters for this and my Dodge truck, as that does seem to matter more than I thought. I've usually used the Fram TG filters (I like the grippy part on 'em) with no ill effects, but seems many agree the Fram is simply not a good filter.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pennzoil platnuim and pure one filter is the way to go......
But for my 03 I use either pennzoil or castrol gtx with a pure one filter.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Castrol GTX 5W-30, & Napa Gold oil filter.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:58 PM

amsoil is the way to go
Old 04-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

has anyone tried the peak motor oil ? it's free ( 5 qts. plus proline oil filter) after rebate at pepboys. i normally use castrol gtx and pureone
filter but since i've been unemployed for seven mos. now and broke i'm gonna try it. in this tough economy every little bit helps. i hope it won't hurt my '01 se.

Last edited by bakkero; 04-10-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:17 AM

Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic+K&N filter....thinking of switching to Nippon 5W-30 Full Synthetic though
Old 04-10-2009, 05:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bakkero
has anyone tried the peak motor oil ? it's free ( 5 qts. plus proline oil filter) after rebate at pepboys. i normally use castrol gtx and pureone
filter but since i've been unemployed for seven mos. now and broke i'm gonna try it. in this tough economy every little bit helps. i hope it won't hurt my '01 se.
Use it, you will be fine, just stick to 3750 mile oil changes.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:46 PM

anyone ever tried Nippon? Saw it in a SuperStreet issue and its from Japan so thought I'd give me baby a taste of home lol but if people have had bad experiences with it then i'll stick to mobil 1.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:50 PM

Purolator or Wix (Napa is Wix as well) for filters.

For the oil any full syn is good. I think cheaper is better so PP ans SynPower are my top choices. In my WalMart PP is $20 for the 5qt and SynPower in $21 for the 5qt

Nissan filters are Fram quality - THEY SUCK! Nippon is the one that makes them