Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Which is the better motor oil??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:34 AM

Which is the better motor oil??

Which is the better motor oil... Royal Purple or AMS Oil? I was thinking of using Royal Purple, but one of the mechanics I work with said that he's heard bad things (engine damage and staining mostly). So my curiousity endulges me... which is preferred amoung the Nissan crowd? Any insight will help!

thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 09:03 AM

If unsure get Mobil 1. I've always had good luck with it.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 AM

Yea I might go with that. We sell that here @ work. Perhaps i'll look into the royal purple and AMS for the next change...
Old 02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I can has?

I've heard nothing but great things about Amsoil, Royal Purple is mixed. I bought a parts car with 210k miles on it that specifically used Amsoil in it and it had no VTC clack, extremely clean under valve covers, and was eventually pulled and put into my neighbors max and is still running today- sounds great.

I figure I have to order amsoil, so thus far I've been using Mobil 1 which is also a great oil and is consistent throughout the duration of it's life.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:32 PM

I was using the castrol GTX synthetic for 2 years and that worked great and I just changed to Mobil 1 that Is also working great so far. These are the two best oil companies compitation wise.

Last edited by vqmaxman; 02-02-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:14 AM

Royal Purple is the best in my opinion, I have used them all and compared them trust me RP is the best. My old 94 Integra had 140,000 miles before I sold it and got my Max, It had lots of mods and would take alot of abuse from me raping it everyday,but I will never forget the first time I tried royal purples oil LOTS OF MORE POWER GOT ME TO BUY IT ALL THE TIME TILL NOW compared to Mobil 1 etc...The MAX loves it too

Last edited by BronxSleeperMax187; 02-03-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

RP may provide good protection in racing applications, but it is not generally known for it's ability to maintain it's properties in street use, over extended drains. AMSOIL also sells racing oils for those who need them, but their passenger car motor oils (PCMOs) are formulated to provide exceptional service in street conditions over extended drain intervals. I believe AMSOIL is a much better value for most drivers.

Last edited by talkinghorse; 02-04-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:45 PM

My experience is with mobil 1 synthetic. I used it in a 93 toyota pickup 22re. When I took it to the toyota shop at 56k miles(starting using it at 28k), he said the cam looked brand new.

My step brother used it in his old 93 ranger splash with 4.0L V6, 5 speed. He got at least 230k+ miles out of it, and was still going.

Fixin to get a 95 maxima with 112k on it, not sure if I should go synthetic at this mileage?.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:48 PM

mobil 1 imo is the best bet because there are different mileage formulas that you can switch to if you plan on keeping the car around for a while.

Last edited by anomaly117; 02-09-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by anomaly117
mobil 1 imo is the best bet because there are different mileage formulas that you can switch to if you plan on keeping the car around for a while.

I saw that. So would 10w40 synthetic work in a 112k mileage car?
Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM

i use 35 weight in a 120k motor, but youd probly be alright with the 40
Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 PM

i use 35 weight in a 120k motor, but youd probly be alright with the 40
5w35? Curious if this causes cold start wear issues.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:01 PM

sry type o 10w30
Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 PM

what is the difference between 5w30 and 10w30 what would u guys recommend for an i30t with 180,000 miles mobil 1 5w30 or mobil 1 10w30
Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 AM

sry type o 10w30
I live in south GA, so my vehicles rarely see temps below freezing.

Since the valve covers show signs of leaking, should I just replace the gaskets on them? So I dont have to go to a heavier wt.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I'm a fan and user of Royal Purple!!!

Independent tests of proven HP gains: http://www.royalpurple.com/rp-videos.html

Last edited by chernmax; 02-14-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:02 PM

Im actually running GReddy oil GR-3 and its pretty good. I like it
Old 02-13-2009, 07:45 AM

I'd recommend Mobil 1, 5W30.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:25 AM

Here's a current Comparative Motor Oil Testing brochure published by AMSOIL.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1971.pdf

Before the comments start flowing in that these tests were conducted/published by AMSOIL, be advised that the tests were conducted using industry-standard ASTM testing protocols...therefore, any competitor can run/duplicate these tests on their own and publish the results. AMSOIL has proudly published performance data, openly comparing their lubricants to the competition for the past 30 years or more. They've yet to be challenged/sued for making false claims about their products or misrepresenting test results.

AMSOIL's test included many of the popular petroleum and synthetic oils on the market today. RP, Motul, Torco, GrReddy, RedLine and other specialty oils were not included in the test; but as I shared in one of my posts, above, some of those oils are better suited for competition/racing applications versus the demands of daily driving...the demands of these applications are significantly different. UOA's posted on other sites have shown that some of these other oils generally do not hold up well over time, making them very expensive to use at traditional drain intervals. AMSOIL also sells a dedicated racing oil, but that product is not the best choice for the demands of passenger car use and it was not the subject of this test.

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...aler-cost.html

Last edited by talkinghorse; 02-15-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:29 PM

+1 for Mobil1
Old 02-21-2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by talkinghorse

Before the comments start flowing in that these tests were conducted/published by AMSOIL, be advised that the tests were conducted using industry-standard ASTM testing protocols...therefore, any competitor can run/duplicate these tests on their own and publish the results. AMSOIL has proudly published performance data, openly comparing their lubricants to the competition for the past 30 years or more. They've yet to be challenged/sued for making false claims about their products or misrepresenting test results.

AMSOIL's test included many of the popular petroleum and synthetic oils on the market today. RP, Motul, Torco, GrReddy, RedLine and other specialty oils were not included in the test; but as I shared in one of my posts, above, some of those oils are better suited for competition/racing applications versus the demands of daily driving...the demands of these applications are significantly different. UOA's posted on other sites have shown that some of these other oils generally do not hold up well over time, making them very expensive to use at traditional drain intervals. AMSOIL also sells a dedicated racing oil, but that product is not the best choice for the demands of passenger car use and it was not the subject of this test.

Its great that AMSOIL is so good, but why make it more difficult to buy? How come its not available at any local stores?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by sascuderi
Its great that AMSOIL is so good, but why make it more difficult to buy? How come its not available at any local stores?
It's really not difficult at all to buy. You can purchase the products through any registered Dealer (like me) or you can go directly to AMSOIL's web site and order it there. As you may know, I've been selling AMSOIL products to members of this site since '02 and my process couldn't be easier...you don't even have to go to the store! http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...aler-cost.html

Local stores can certainly carry AMSOIL products...they just need to register as a retail account (and I can get them registered at no cost to them). In fact i have several Quick Lubes in my area which I have registered as retail accounts, and they sell a lot of oil. If you have a retail store in your area who is interested in carrying the products, please put then in touch with me and I will get them set up.

In order to fully understand why AMSOIL is marketed through independent dealers, you have to take a look back in time and consider how AMSOIL came about...back in 1972 when AMSOIL was first introduced, the market and the industry were not receptive to synthetics oils. AMSOIL (the company) was founded by a retired AF fighter pilot who saw synthetic oils being used in the jet engines which powered his planes. When he retired, he set out to develop a synthetic oil for passenger car use. In 1972 AMSOIL became the first company to offer a 100% engine oil that met the requirements of the API. AMSOIL was, and remains, a privately owned company, and back then they didn't have the production capacity or distribution network to market the products by conventional means. In addition, the idea of a synthetic oil was considered my most in the industry as ridiculous...skeptics said the product wouldn't/didn't work, and the major oil companies tried to drive AMSOIL out of business. Also, petroleum oil was then selling for less than 50 cents per quart and if my memory serves me well, AMSOIL retailed for $5.95/qt...so retailers were not particularly interested in buying/stocking an expensive product with slow turn-over/limited demand. So in order to market the products, the company decided to provide normal people with the opportunity to start a business by becoming an independent AMSOIL Dealer. Mobil legitimized the idea of a synthetic oil by introducing Mobil 1 in 1975, then the other major oil companies followed.

I know all this because I first began using synthetic oils in the mid-70's when I joined the Air Force and found myself in the middle of North Dakota. Although I'm originally from New England, it gets much colder in the northern plains and the petroleum oil I was using turned solid in winter...the differential in my car would actually howl after sitting outside all day. I started using a product from Conoco called DN-600 fluid (Polar Start) then switched to Mobil-1 (which, btw, was only offered as a 5w-20). Back then, AMSOIL was in fact hard to find...the web wasn't invented and dealers were scarce. I bumped into an AMSOIL dealer in the late 70's when i lived in the upper peninsula of michigan and decided to try the product. I liked it and continued using it. I became a dealer myself in the early 80's.

Since that time, AMSOIL has grown considerably. They have first class laboratory/production/blending facilities, and warehouses throughout the country. http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2593.pdf . AMSOIL offers the widest selection of quality synthetic lubricants and filtration products available in the industry. AMSOIL was founded on quality products and integrity in their business practices...two qualities that remain strong today. Over the years, AMSOIL has remained loyal to their dealers...while they could have sold-out, abandoned their dealers, and marketed their products like other companies do, AMSOIL has stood by their dealers and they continue to offer a legitimate business opportunity to the common person.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Last edited by talkinghorse; 02-21-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:27 PM

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me!
Old 02-21-2009, 07:27 PM

Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me!
No sweat...thanks for giving me the opportunity to share. Please take a few minutes to look at/read the AMSOIL Center brochure (link included in my last post)...the growth and maturity this company has undergone is amazing. AMSOIL is a great example of a small business success story. One guy with a vision built this company from nothing and essentially revolutionized an industry dominated by giant corporations. I'm as impressed with the business and the values they hold, as I am with the products.

Last edited by talkinghorse; 02-21-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Amsoil is at an auto parts store by me. I could not believe it, things must be getting slow for Amsoil; with the current economy.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by JwaxMax99
Amsoil is at an auto parts store by me. I could not believe it, things must be getting slow for Amsoil; with the current economy.
Actually not. The company continues to enjoy extraordinary growth, even with the current economy. AMSOIL has seen double digit growth each year for the past 18 years, including last fiscal year. My own business grew nearly 50% between 2007 and 2008 and Jan 09 sales are up over 66% compared to Jan 08.

The auto parts store near you obviously felt there was a demand for the product and decided to offer it to their customers. Believe it or not, the last two times I was in my local NAPA store, customers were looking for AMSOIL...the first time (while I was at the register checking out) a customer called looking for AMSOIL, and then the next time a customer came in looking for the oil. There's definitely a strong demand for the products.

Just speculating, but people with money continue to buy premium products...those feeling the pinch are keeping their cars longer and many of them want to do whatever they can to keep their cars running better and longer. Then there's the convenience, environmental, and potential fuel economy benefits of AMSOIL. As I said in one of my posts above, I have several quick lubes sponsored as accounts and they are selling this stuff like crazy...one of my accounts used to sell RP...he dropped it entirely and replaced it with AMSOIL. People try the oil, they like it, then they return to the retailer to buy more....and that's good for the retailer because they get repeat customers. AMSOIL is not like the other brands that can be purchased in every mega-mart...

Last edited by talkinghorse; 02-23-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:33 AM

It's really not difficult at all to buy.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.
I can attest to the ease of ordering. I registered as a preferred customer and received the products in about 2 days. It's actually easier than going to a store.

I'm sure talkinghorse can provide you with a dealer number if you want to register through him.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:03 PM

Here's a couple links to data sheets comparing AMSOIL's Racing oil to other racing oils: RP, Torco, Redline and others. As you will see, AMSOIL Racing oil competes very well with other oils in this category.
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2568.pdf
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2569.pdf
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2570.pdf
Old 03-16-2009, 12:27 AM

I am using whatever syn oil is onsale below 20bux per jug.
I had periously used Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, PP, QS, and Esso XD-3, they are all the same except when i was using PP, I had a small leak on rear main seal, but it was fixed when i switch back to Castrol Syntec... so....
My advise is whatever is cheapest...