Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Steering fluid... too late?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:49 PM

Steering fluid... too late?

The steering on my 6th generation Maxima has for the last two weeks been acting up on and off; some days is just a little harder to turn the steering, not that hard really, but not the usual, is easy to tell. Then it disappears just like that. For example, driving to work this morning, I could feel it, but driving back it was fine, no issues at all.

I could only find this thread, no other info appeared:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...-sticking.html

I hope this is just something minor like replacing the steering fluid. Or is this a bigger issue?

Last edited by SuperMario; 10-09-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM

Yeah, you probably need to put in some more power steering fluid.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
Yeah, you probably need to put in some more power steering fluid.
OK, I checked the level, is at MAX, no need to add more than it has now.

Does this mean I have a problem with the steering system?

Or maybe I should just do a flush and replace fluids?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:32 PM

......and the belt?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
......and the belt?
Sorry, not mechanically inclined here. What belt is this? How does it work in the steering?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:53 PM

If PS fluid is dark and smells burnt, then extract it out with a tool that looks like a grease gun with a tube on the end of it. Costs abot 15 bucks and be used for other fluids as well. Add some Lucas PS pump reconditioner with the new fluid and your good to go. Now, if the pump is squealing and making grinding noises with minor turns, the the above process will not probably work as the pump needs to be replaced. Check U Tube for pump replacement procedure.

Dave
Old 10-03-2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 10pin
If PS fluid is dark and smells burnt, then extract it out with a tool that looks like a grease gun with a tube on the end of it. Costs abot 15 bucks and be used for other fluids as well. Add some Lucas PS pump reconditioner with the new fluid and your good to go. Now, if the pump is squealing and making grinding noises with minor turns, the the above process will not probably work as the pump needs to be replaced. Check U Tube for pump replacement procedure.

Dave
I think you're right, the PS fluid may need to be changed, it does look dark, but I didn't smell it.

What's the name of that gun and where can I find it?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

All you need is a big syringe with a piece of airline tubing as used in aquarium hobby. You drain the container, refill to the same level and drive for couple of days. Repeat the process 3-4 times and you should be good to go. It took 2 bottles of Nissan fluid to get all the crap out, not it looks rosy just like the stuff that comes in a bottle. It's cheap enough that you should have no problem going through 2 bottles. Now that I've done it I'll do it on every car every 35K miles.

If you don't have the time to drive around do the following

1) Suck the fluid out with whatever tool you desire
2) Fill to original level with fresh fluid
3) Start the car
4) Turn the steering wheel to the left and hold it there for 5 seconds
5) Turn the steeting wheel to the right and hold it there for 5 seconds
6) Repeat steps 4&5 few times but don't hold it for more then 5 seconds at a time.
7) Repeat steps 1 through 6 for a total of 4-6 changes.

At this point your fluid should look like brand new. If you still have problems it's soemthing else.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by SuperMario
Sorry, not mechanically inclined here. What belt is this? How does it work in the steering?
The PS belt drive the pump. If it's slipping, the pump won't work correctly.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
All you need is a big syringe with a piece of airline tubing as used in aquarium hobby. You drain the container, refill to the same level and drive for couple of days. Repeat the process 3-4 times and you should be good to go. It took 2 bottles of Nissan fluid to get all the crap out, not it looks rosy just like the stuff that comes in a bottle. It's cheap enough that you should have no problem going through 2 bottles. Now that I've done it I'll do it on every car every 35K miles.

If you don't have the time to drive around do the following

1) Suck the fluid out with whatever tool you desire
2) Fill to original level with fresh fluid
3) Start the car
4) Turn the steering wheel to the left and hold it there for 5 seconds
5) Turn the steeting wheel to the right and hold it there for 5 seconds
6) Repeat steps 4&5 few times but don't hold it for more then 5 seconds at a time.
7) Repeat steps 1 through 6 for a total of 4-6 changes.

At this point your fluid should look like brand new. If you still have problems it's soemthing else.
Thanks Xoomer, I don't understand why they moved this from the 6th generation threads since our cars have so much different problems than other generations, but whatever.

I sucked out the fluid and replaced it with:

Valvoline Max Life Power Steering Fluid with Stop Leak (it also says for power steering systems 75,000 miles)

Do you recommend this fluid or should I just stick with the Nissan brand?

I did notice the fluid I took out was red, but this Valvoline Fluid is clear...weird, I hope that does not affect things.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
The PS belt drive the pump. If it's slipping, the pump won't work correctly.
Steve, I have no idea if my belt is slipping. I did, on one of my services, change all the main belts about 15k ago.

Is this one of the belts they would've changed?
Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 PM

Steve, I have no idea if my belt is slipping. I did, on one of my services, change all the main belts about 15k ago.

Is this one of the belts they would've changed?
Yes they would have changed your PS belt if they changed your serpentine belt since the PS belt is behind the serpentine belt. I have a 6th gen maxima and am encountering the same problem with my PS. I am going to change the fluid and hope it fixes my problem but I highly doubt it. It is probably a problem with the rack and pinion or something at the end of the steering column... I'll let you know if I figure the problem out.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Thanks Xoomer, I don't understand why they moved this from the 6th generation threads since our cars have so much different problems than other generations, but whatever.

I sucked out the fluid and replaced it with:

Valvoline Max Life Power Steering Fluid with Stop Leak (it also says for power steering systems 75,000 miles)

Do you recommend this fluid or should I just stick with the Nissan brand?

I did notice the fluid I took out was red, but this Valvoline Fluid is clear...weird, I hope that does not affect things.
It doesn't particualrly matter which fluid you use. Last time i was at Nissan to buy another bottle (im slowly leaking it somewhere) they told me they were out of stock and to use ATF fluid its the same.

Well, I needed fluid and so I bought the cheap crap that is sold at the gas station and it worked just fine until it slowly dripped out.

I stopped by Subaru dealer by my house and bought a bottle of PS fluid and sure enough the label says ATF/PS fluid. I don't think it matter if its red or clear. I believe a colorant is added to simply differentiate it from other lubricants and to make leak tracing easier.