Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Seafoam causing precat and heated O2 sensor codes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:27 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Seafoam causing precat and heated O2 sensor codes?

Picked up a 2002 6 speed Maxima about 10 days ago, ran fine over the first weekend (about 250 miles or so), then did an engine flush, gear oil change and added Seafoam to the gas tank. Ever since then, I'm getting mostly P430 along with a couple P1147 codes. Could it be the Seafoam is cleaning enough crap out of the top half of the engine it is causing the codes due to stuff coming out through the exhaust? Since this tank of fuel is getting low (dte is about 110 miles) and the frequency of the codes popping up seems to be diminishing, I am hoping once I fill up with fresh gas the codes stop showing up.

I didn't notice the car's inspection sticker 2 months expired when I bought the car, needs to be code free to pass-they just check for codes so I can't have pending codes either.

Anyone else have a temporary problem after adding an FI cleaner? I was told by a couple mechanics I know on another board to just run the car hard, get the old gas and Seafoam out and I should be fine once I fill up again.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:51 PM

Did you add it through the brake booster, too?

Seafoam CAN potentially clog precats if your top end is extremely dirty.

It may be possible that the Seafoam is also causing a rich condition, so the O2 sensors think that the converter isn't running efficiently enough...but I've never seen that before.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:16 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Just in the gas tank. No idea how regularly the original owner used an F/I cleaner, the car was traded in and went right to auction. Bought it from the dealer who got it there. Just weird that until I added it, no codes. Now that the tank is nearly empty, it isn't throwing codes as frequently (P430 was popping up pretty quick-40 miles or so). Going to put fresh gas in it tomorrow, have a 90 mile round trip to do some details and hopefully that runs the last of it out.

Next time inspection is coming up, if I have no codes, I won't do anything to the car.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Took 3 tanks of gas to get the codes to stop popping up, seems to run really good now and just got it inspected.