Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Nothing in life really is free

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM
SuPeRmOd

Nothing in life really is free

Especially a free oil change.
I am finally completely done with dealerships.
Long story skip to bottom...

Fiance insisted on going to Subaru again for her inspection. Last year she called all upset they wanted $xxx.xx to pass! Most was maintenance, tried to tell her I just changed the oil, and blah blah is bull. But she was all pressured and never speaks up. So it's my fault I should have gone with...

Anyway I called and questioned all the work. Only thing they conceded on was a free oil change. The rest was semi-reasonable. But total bull, they preyed on her saying all was needed that day.

So this recent inspection, yes she still scheduled there... But I took it and did emission where I take my car to save some money. I mentioned the free oil change due.

2 hours later I need both control arm bushings, both wipers totaling over $400 since each part was $15 and labor $95/hour!!!

No thank you just fail me I will go elsewhere. Call around other places say it is necessary to fix, they charge the same... Then they return and said oh just doubled checked only need 1 bushing, other looks new. I asked to see and to clean my windshield first. 3 little cracks in the bushing and only need one $8 blade refill. I question and Mechanic says 1 hour. They still tried to bill me 1.5 hours and for the oil change!!!

What I am really @#!%$%%$% about:
I finally got to checking her oil level other day, 2 months later OIL IS 3 INCHES PAST FULL!!!!

I fear with coolant a little low... but no signs in the oil. Added coolant and drained some oil. Here I look in her manual like I remember "2.5L motor = 4.2 quarts." AND 3.0L motor = 5.8 quarts.

To get her back down to Full level, yep you guessed it I removed EXACTLY 1.6 QUARTS!!!

Just amazed how solid the 2005 drove with 107,000 miles, didn't act up at all. She even takes ~2 hour trips back home sometimes, but drives easy and never short trips.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Got Retrofit?

****ing dealers
Old 02-28-2012, 05:42 PM

My ford dealer overfilled my brake fluid reservoir prior to purchase. On the s197 GT's it drips out the top when its at the 100% full line, you actually want to fill the reservoir just below the 50% fill line. It ate my paint below the brake fluid reservoir. Sadly not covered nor do I want them monkeying around with it, but I took it in to them to have them give me an estimate anyway. They tell me I should just paint it myself or pay them like a grand, then they courteously top off my reservoir again .

...yeah I painted it myself.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM
SuPeRmOd

Since the Subaru seemed a little sluggish a couple times getting on the gas I swapped the spark plug wires. It has 110k anyway. Well 3 of the 4 boots were covered in oil.

I am hoping it's not a big deal... ugh I hate dealers.