Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

Good inexpensive tools, where do you buy them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good inexpensive tools, where do you buy them?

I am looking into buying a number of tools to work on my maxima and was wondering where I can buy quality tools at good prices. Is harbor freight any good? Ebay seems like a poor place to buy since shipping would be so much. Where do you guys buy your tools?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:02 PM

Sears..... i have some cheapies that i get on sale here and there, but Craftsman for my good stuff is worth the price, ive broken like 10 breaker bars and each time i go back there they just hand me a new one, no reciept, no paperwork, just give them the broken one and they give u a new one.

Worth the cost, esspescially for heavey duty stuff thats more likely to break
Old 04-14-2006, 08:20 PM

Have to agree, hard to beat Craftsman because of the replacement policy
Old 04-14-2006, 10:56 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

i bought a 30 dollar set of "performance tools" for my manual swap. They did the job, but alot of them broke. I finally splurged and got a Craftsman set for 100 bucks, and I have never looked back since. Great tools for the saturday mechanic.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:47 AM
Droppin logs

Craftsman!!!

Definitely the best bang for the buck. Not the best mind you (Snap on, Mac etc) but my grandfather has tools from the 50s, 60s, 70s that are still in good use today. And they've seen ALOT of use.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:32 AM

I know a guy who buys Craftsman tools from the pawn shops. I think he got a dozen screwdrivers (broken tips), a broken 1/2" drive ratchet, and some sockets for $20. Took it all to Sears and swapped them out for new ones. Cheapness for the win...
Old 04-15-2006, 04:38 AM

Snap-On's

Old 04-15-2006, 04:59 AM

Craftsman is hard to beat for the price. Snap-On is way overpriced and the warranty isn't any better than Sears.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:01 AM
Conecarver

I started really wrenching only last year. My stuff paid for itself in the first 2 repairs.

$200 for this 263 piece Craftsman set

$65 Craftstman 1/2" torque wrench

$70 Harbor Freight Cordless impact
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/pho...2799/92798.gif

Doing repairs yourself and having only yourself to blame - Priceless
Old 04-15-2006, 06:30 AM

Lets say one was looking to invest in some Air Tools to use only on a maxima, thus needing only a few sizes, not a whole 200 peice set. What complete air tool set would be needed? I'm talking about starting from having no air tools at all to having enough to work on most parts on the maxima.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:31 AM
Ford Only.

Craftsman, lifetime warranty if you ever break them you bring them back and get a replacement free. My Dad still has Craftsman ratchets, wrenches, sockets, basically all his tools that he has had since the early 80s, they still work like champs.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Tha Snatcher

Craftsman FTW.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:04 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

haha, i'm with all the craftsman ****** ... just waitin to drop $200-300 on a big set when it comes on sale at sears.

black friday ftw!
Old 04-15-2006, 04:42 PM

I don't bother with Craftsman, I hate their rachets and have no need to shop there

Sockets- I found a kit made by MasterGrip a few years ago that was too good to pass up. They are basically Snap-On knock offs and came with
1/2" drive:
Metric Shallow 12pt - 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24, 27mm
SAE Shallow 12pt - 5/8" to 1-1/8"
3/8" drive:
Metric Deep 6pt - 10mm to 16mm
SAE Deep 6pt - 3/8" to 3/4"
Metric Shallow 6pt - 7mm to 16mm
SAE Shallow 6pt - 3/8" to 3/4"
Metric Shallow 12pt - 9mm to 19mm
SAE Shallow 12pt - 3/8" to 7/8"
1/4" drive:
Metric Deep 6pt - 4mm to 13mm
SAE Deep 6pt - 6/16" to 1/2"
Metric Shallow 6pt - 4mm to 13mm
SAE Shallow 6pt - 5/32" to 1/2"
SAE Shallow 12pt - 6/16" to 1/2"

plus a 5/8" spark plug, 3" extensions and rachets for each drive, bunch of allen wrenches, open/closed box wrenches, two philips and two standard screw drivers, and some other junk.

The meat and potatoes are Snap-On
1/2"
10-5/16" Quick Release Rachet
17-21/32" Flex-Handle Rachet
18" Breaker Bar
3/8"
7-11/32" Quick Release Rachet (2)
4-7/16" Rachet
11-1/2" Flex-Handle Rachet
9-9/16" Breaker Bar
1/4"
4-7/16" Quick Release Rachet
6-1/8" Flex-Handle Rachet
6" Breaker Bar

and a bunch of Wobble-Plus extensions, U-Joints, and drive adapters.

I'll order Flank Drive Plus racheting wrenches, Tech wrenches, and sockets if I can get find someone with a student discount or something
It's expensive at first but when you think about how long you'll use them + the fact that they don't break when you need them and are very comfortable/feel and precise (not rounding off/breaking bolts and working faster), it's not so bad -and a friend hooked me up

That's just my main chest, not even starting on the specialty tools/non-generic chest
Old 04-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Tha Snatcher

Originally Posted by MrGone
I don't bother with Craftsman, I hate their rachets and have no need to shop there

Sockets- I found a kit made by MasterGrip a few years ago that was too good to pass up. They are basically Snap-On knock offs and came with
1/2" drive:
Metric Shallow 12pt - 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24, 27mm
SAE Shallow 12pt - 5/8" to 1-1/8"
3/8" drive:
Metric Deep 6pt - 10mm to 16mm
SAE Deep 6pt - 3/8" to 3/4"
Metric Shallow 6pt - 7mm to 16mm
SAE Shallow 6pt - 3/8" to 3/4"
Metric Shallow 12pt - 9mm to 19mm
SAE Shallow 12pt - 3/8" to 7/8"
1/4" drive:
Metric Deep 6pt - 4mm to 13mm
SAE Deep 6pt - 6/16" to 1/2"
Metric Shallow 6pt - 4mm to 13mm
SAE Shallow 6pt - 5/32" to 1/2"
SAE Shallow 12pt - 6/16" to 1/2"

plus a 5/8" spark plug, 3" extensions and rachets for each drive, bunch of allen wrenches, open/closed box wrenches, two philips and two standard screw drivers, and some other junk.

The meat and potatoes are Snap-On
1/2"
10-5/16" Quick Release Rachet
17-21/32" Flex-Handle Rachet
18" Breaker Bar
3/8"
7-11/32" Quick Release Rachet (2)
4-7/16" Rachet
11-1/2" Flex-Handle Rachet
9-9/16" Breaker Bar
1/4"
4-7/16" Quick Release Rachet
6-1/8" Flex-Handle Rachet
6" Breaker Bar

and a bunch of Wobble-Plus extensions, U-Joints, and drive adapters.

I'll order Flank Drive Plus racheting wrenches, Tech wrenches, and sockets if I can get find someone with a student discount or something
It's expensive at first but when you think about how long you'll use them + the fact that they don't break when you need them and are very comfortable/feel and precise (not rounding off/breaking bolts and working faster), it's not so bad -and a friend hooked me up

That's just my main chest, not even starting on the specialty tools/non-generic chest
Wow, not even a picture(s) of your vast tool collection? I'm flabbergasted
Old 04-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Craftsman tools FTW!!!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 04-15-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Karim
Wow, not even a picture(s) of your vast tool collection? I'm flabbergasted
garage is a mess right now

besides, while it sounds like a lot, it really isn't
Old 04-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Maximoneypit

I always go Craftsman but as Bejay stated Harbor Freight makes pretty good tools for cheap.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by NCSU_MAX
I always go Craftsman but as Bejay stated Harbor Freight makes pretty good tools for cheap.
I would venture to say that most if not all of the Harbor Freight tools are made in China using inferior steel. They would probably work well for light duty work but I would be very careful if I needed some heavy duty usage.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by D-Bo
Craftsman!!!

Definitely the best bang for the buck. Not the best mind you (Snap on, Mac etc) but my grandfather has tools from the 50s, 60s, 70s that are still in good use today. And they've seen ALOT of use.
Totally agree, for the typical DIY Craftsman is darn good. I've only paid full-price for one Snap-on and it was a special drain-plug remover for 6 Cyl. Volvos. The rest of my Snap-on tools are from eBay and 2nd hand, current models for about 1/3 the current price. Some of the stuff were from LV pawn shops, amazing how desparate gamblers get. At 1/3 USED, sometimes they cost more than brand-new Craftsman. So in almost all cases I'd go with USA Craftsman. Someday when they make them in China, I'd go for them too as they'll probably be really tightly controlled for high quality. That's the good thing about China, they're really fanatical about quality.

Just to clarify, China makes what the mfg. is asking of them--so if Sears wanted a Craftsman tool built there, which due to import activities it's probably cheaper to make them in the USA now, China would be able to deliver a spec'd product better than what is made in USA. They will also make inferior products if a mfg. asks them to, but make no mistake, what they're capable of is incredible. That's why come 2030 the USA is no longer the superpower, economically or militarily. We've made some serious mistakes along the way, but I think we should not throw in the towel but pick ourselves back up. I don't see that happening yet...
Old 04-16-2006, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
That's the good thing about China, they're really fanatical about quality.

Just to clarify, China makes what the mfg. is asking of them--so if Sears wanted a Craftsman tool built there, which due to import activities it's probably cheaper to make them in the USA now, China would be able to deliver a spec'd product better than what is made in USA. They will also make inferior products if a mfg. asks them to, but make no mistake, what they're capable of is incredible. That's why come 2030 the USA is no longer the superpower, economically or militarily. We've made some serious mistakes along the way, but I think we should not throw in the towel but pick ourselves back up. I don't see that happening yet...
It's true that they will make the product to a certain spec. If you see cheap tools at Harbor Freight, most of them that I've seen or used are cheap in quality when compared to a Craftsman American made tool of the same type. Even the made in China impact guns don't perform like the older American made ones. Even the Ingersoll Rand impacts. I have found that http://thetoolwarehouse.net/ sells name brand tools at good prices
Old 04-16-2006, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
It's true that they will make the product to a certain spec. If you see cheap tools at Harbor Freight, most of them that I've seen or used are cheap in quality when compared to a Craftsman American made tool of the same type. Even the made in China impact guns don't perform like the older American made ones. Even the Ingersoll Rand impacts. I have found that http://thetoolwarehouse.net/ sells name brand tools at good prices
To give a personal example of what you described above, I got a Milwaukee hammer drill 2 years ago. My friend loaned me his for drilling into concrete in the basement, but his was about 15 years old. The one I got has a plastic casing, and made in Germany. So here we have the high price without the high performance--China is the opposite.

But Milwaukee has gone the way of the Troy Bilt--some other co. purchased the name and continue to use the name for marketing purposes. But what the consumer gets is not what they thought, or what their grandparents got.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Wild for Width

I started with a MasterGrip set as well. Breaker bars and various accessories from Harbor and Northern. As far as ratchets and wrenches I pretty much have two of everything (Craftsman + Mastergrip sets) plus gear wrenches. Plenty of spare jackstands with two very nice (and HIGH) Craftsman stands as well as an Arcon industrial 3.5ton 21" lift floorjack. Most of my tools are housed in a two piece rolling cabinet by Stanley.

Cliffs:

MasterGrip
Craftsman
Harbor Freight
Northern Tool and Equipment
Stanley
Old 04-16-2006, 01:07 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Nothing but craftsman in teh toolbox here...
Old 04-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Maximoneypit

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
I would venture to say that most if not all of the Harbor Freight tools are made in China using inferior steel. They would probably work well for light duty work but I would be very careful if I needed some heavy duty usage.
Oh I agree, which is why I only buy Craftsman. I do have some wrenches i was given from harbor freight that have worked well for mild torquing. I think the key word i picked up on in the thread was 'inexpensive', heh.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Fr33way
I started with a MasterGrip set as well. Breaker bars and various accessories from Harbor and Northern. As far as ratchets and wrenches I pretty much have two of everything (Craftsman + Mastergrip sets) plus gear wrenches. Plenty of spare jackstands with two very nice (and HIGH) Craftsman stands as well as an Arcon industrial 3.5ton 21" lift floorjack. Most of my tools are housed in a two piece rolling cabinet by Stanley.
I have the same jack
she's not so purdy anymore, some brake fluid, a few transmissions, and a couple days (week or two ) outside in the rain have taken their toll cosmetically, but it continues to work great

Harbor Freight is like 40mins away from me so I don't go there often. I really only go there for consumables and other random junk I don't really need but buy anyway because it's cheap .

I've also bought a lot of tools from Napa, wire brushes, fuel line quick disconnect tools, battery terminal cleaners, 36mm socket, torx drivers, pulley pullers, steering wheel puller, flare nut wrenches, benders, etc. 11ndty billion other things.

stole this torque wrench from my friend
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

saving up for these two
Old 04-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Droppin logs

Harbor Freight is like 40mins away from me so I don't go there often. I really only go there for consumables and other random junk I don't really need but buy anyway because it's cheap .

I've also bought a lot of tools from Napa, wire brushes, fuel line quick disconnect tools, battery terminal cleaners, 36mm socket, torx drivers, pulley pullers, steering wheel puller, flare nut wrenches, benders, etc. 11ndty billion other things.

Harbor Freight is a little closer for me but I don't like going in there because I load up on too much little crap that I don't have anywhere to put...
Old 04-16-2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by D-Bo

Harbor Freight is a little closer for me but I don't like going in there because I load up on too much little crap that I don't have anywhere to put...
I'm surprised people love it so much

I hate it, I go in expecting to spend x ammount and end up spending 3-4x that much. It's the only store that continues to shock me every time when the total comes up.

but then every time I look at the prices on grinding consumables I <3 it again stupid harbor freight
Old 04-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Wild for Width

I have the same jack
she's not so purdy anymore, some brake fluid, a few transmissions, and a couple days (week or two ) outside in the rain have taken their toll cosmetically, but it continues to work great
Yeah, I really like using it. I have taken it apart once and greased and cleaned it and it works and rolls around much easier.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Droppin logs

Additionally I rarely buy a Craftsman tool for full price. They constantly have sale items, the Craftsman club gives additional savings every few months and they have some great clearance deals in the individual stores.

My best deal was a Milwaukee 18v Sawzall for $67 FTW!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:13 AM

Aside from Crapsman... I mean Crafstman, look into S&K. S&K are priced right and made real well. I personally use Snap-On and Matco. I do use some of Mac's tools but they do make some POS/cheap tools, ie Blackhawk line.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Synki
Aside from Crapsman... I mean Crafstman, look into S&K. S&K are priced right and made real well. I personally use Snap-On and Matco. I do use some of Mac's tools but they do make some POS/cheap tools, ie Blackhawk line.
craftsman is not the "BEST" but bang for the buck it can't be beat. also their warranty is top notch.

find me a store that will warranty a SK tool on a sunday afternoon when my rachet breaks and i need to finish something on the car? but i do agree that SK/Facom tools are pretty nice..but when some thing breaks how am i going to get a replacement that same day?

FWIW Kobalt tools from (i think lowes or HD) are not bad either.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1

$70 Harbor Freight Cordless impact
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/pho...2799/92798.gif
Hmmm.... this cordless impact is tempting....

Btw, I use mostly Craftsman with some Kobalts (from Lowes) here and there...

Just got one of these yesterday: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00950240000
Old 04-17-2006, 07:48 AM
STFU n00b!

Yup.. I've got a set of impact sockets from Kobalt and they're pretty nice.. used them pretty much daily for the last 4 years on a beefy impact wrench and most of them barely show any wear.

for ratchets, get the best quality you can. I have some Craftsmans for backup, but otherwise my Snap-On ratchets are the only ones I use on a regular basis.

For wrenches, the Craftsman stuff is basically expendable. I use them when I need to grind the end off to fit in a tight spot. the steel is too soft to use when you've got a nut that's REALLY stuck and you can only reach it with an open end. I almost rounded the head off one using a Craftsman 24mm, and then my neighb came up and handed me one of his SK wrenches. popped the bolt loose and didn't round off the head that was already beginning to go from the Craftsman wrench! after that, I'm only buying high quality hand wrenches too for the shop. My weekend track toolbox or loaner tools will be filled with my existing Craftsman stuff that I've replaced with better tools.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Droppin logs

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Hmmm.... this cordless impact is tempting....

Btw, I use mostly Craftsman with some Kobalts (from Lowes) here and there...

Just got one of these yesterday: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00950240000

That's the one I have and I really like it. But I had been using a cheap @ss trolley jack before...
Old 04-17-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Yup.. I've got a set of impact sockets from Kobalt and they're pretty nice.. used them pretty much daily for the last 4 years on a beefy impact wrench and most of them barely show any wear.

for ratchets, get the best quality you can. I have some Craftsmans for backup, but otherwise my Snap-On ratchets are the only ones I use on a regular basis.

For wrenches, the Craftsman stuff is basically expendable. I use them when I need to grind the end off to fit in a tight spot. the steel is too soft to use when you've got a nut that's REALLY stuck and you can only reach it with an open end. I almost rounded the head off one using a Craftsman 24mm, and then my neighb came up and handed me one of his SK wrenches. popped the bolt loose and didn't round off the head that was already beginning to go from the Craftsman wrench! after that, I'm only buying high quality hand wrenches too for the shop. My weekend track toolbox or loaner tools will be filled with my existing Craftsman stuff that I've replaced with better tools.
Man we think alike! I have a sweet set of S*K wrenches--actually it's my SAE set, so I don't get to use them as much. They're so beautifully chromed (SuperKromes) they're almost too good to be used. But if I can remember the whole set was only $89 and it goes up to 15/16" with 14 wrenches. Sometimes if you search on the web, those tool places are pretty darn competitive.

I love the Snap-on S936 ratchet (1/2") so much, I bought a 2nd one and bang-up the first. I got the first one for $30 on eBay (man nobody must have seen it), I think Craftsman makes a look-alike for about $40, so it was a good deal I thought...the 2nd one was mint and cost $45 with shipping, not as much a bargain but still well under the buck 10 list.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:08 PM
STFU n00b!

The Snap-on ratchets that I've got are FH747 and TH737.. They're $$$, but by far the best ratchets I've ever used. When these wear out, I'm buying again.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

kobalt, craftsman, good inexpensive tools.
I believe kobalt tools all have a lifetime waranty, just like sears.

harbor freight, if its a one-time quickie job(okay, some stuff lasts longer, but i wouldn't make my toolbox out of it.)

snap-on, matco: overpriced for casual home user, better for profession, or perfection.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 AM
wants an I35

every 3 or 4 months sears has sales on craftsman sets. i got a 99 piece set for 40 bux about two months ago. lifetime warranty.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 AM
+Cru OG

I have a 62 Piece MetrInch set that I've been using since for quite some time now. Never has it let me down.

Quick Reply: Good inexpensive tools, where do you buy them?