Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

Snap-on tools v. Craftsman?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For me snap-on hands down. Working with many mechanics the benefit of having Snap-On that was explained to me is that it helps with fatigue. I personally use both Snap-On and Craftsman and there are a lot of Craftsman tools that are on par with Snap-On. I do like the feel of Snap-On tools better. Love their air guns also...
Old 12-15-2007, 09:10 PM

I use craftsman and ive had no problem. For normal hand tools they do me just fine, i use them almost every day with no problems. The advantage of snap on/mack/SK over craftsman etc, is the speciality tools, stubby ratchets, etc. Snap on are basically automotive related, so all there focus is on automotive related tools, while craftsman make all sorts of tools from wood working to automotive, it just seems in a lot of cases you get what you pay for. Craftsman isnt that cheap either.

Air tools is an exception though. My favorite air tool is Ingersol Rand. They make some INSANE air tools, expensive but they last and are better then snap on in most cases IMO.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:00 PM

there is no comparison between crafstmen and snapon. Snapon is far more superior exspecially the ratchets. I unfortunatley own craftsmen tools thats what I can afford and as long as it has the gaurantee Im ok.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Its pretty much proven than Snap-On IS superior but you gotta admit, for the price and warranty, you cant go wrong with Craftsman, as many have said, it does the job...unergonamically but it does it. Snap-on is just gonna have to wait for me to start making big buck. Until then I will only continue to buy Craftman which has taken a lot of abuse on my part.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Former Vendor

i use craftsman, but snap-on is good for specialty tools. the way i was tought is; as long as it comes with a lifetime warranty you can't lose.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:40 PM
STFU n00b!

oh, you CAN lose. it's not the problem with getting the tool replaced- it's the problem with the lower quality tool rounding off nuts and bolts before it breaks.
so you now have a broken tool which will take time and money (mileage on car and gas) to replace the tool AND a more time to fix the problem with the damaged bolt..... which you need to have more tools and more time to fix.

So that 24mm Craftsman open end wrench I used on my ball joint and rounded off the nut cost me 60 miles in gas (about $10), 2.5 hours of downtime to return it, $5 for another ball joint nut from the parts store and another 2 hours of labor to get the entire steering knuckle off and stick a 6pt impact socket on it to remove and replace...

Overall it COST me about $310 because I tried to use a cheaper tool on the job..
(above was a true story. I tried the new craftsman 24mm wrench on the other side's joint too and paid close attention to it. the wrench started bending open and rounding off the nut again, so I stopped and borrowed my mechanic neighb's S-K toolz open end wrench (which had MUCH more meat in the jaw openings), and popped it loose in just a couple minutes.

So just because the tool is cheaper and has warranty doesn't mean it's still "just as good". cheap tools have cost me lots of money on several occasions. just gotta be aware of what you're doing and the consequences of using the wrong tool for the job.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
oh, you CAN lose. it's not the problem with getting the tool replaced- it's the problem with the lower quality tool rounding off nuts and bolts before it breaks.
so you now have a broken tool which will take time and money (mileage on car and gas) to replace the tool AND a more time to fix the problem with the damaged bolt..... which you need to have more tools and more time to fix.

So that 24mm Craftsman open end wrench I used on my ball joint and rounded off the nut cost me 60 miles in gas (about $10), 2.5 hours of downtime to return it, $5 for another ball joint nut from the parts store and another 2 hours of labor to get the entire steering knuckle off and stick a 6pt impact socket on it to remove and replace...

Overall it COST me about $310 because I tried to use a cheaper tool on the job..
(above was a true story. I tried the new craftsman 24mm wrench on the other side's joint too and paid close attention to it. the wrench started bending open and rounding off the nut again, so I stopped and borrowed my mechanic neighb's S-K toolz open end wrench (which had MUCH more meat in the jaw openings), and popped it loose in just a couple minutes.

So just because the tool is cheaper and has warranty doesn't mean it's still "just as good". cheap tools have cost me lots of money on several occasions. just gotta be aware of what you're doing and the consequences of using the wrong tool for the job.

*in a ricer tone* bro, its not what you have its how you use it
Old 12-19-2007, 03:30 AM

Husky tools from home depot? they're lifetime guaranteed too.

ha, just kidding. if you break one, you bring it back to the store and they give you a form to fill out and they send you a replacement 3rd class mail. i'm sure they're the mechanix first choice...

i've always been fine with craftsman, but i heard that now if you break a ratchet, they don't give you a new one, instead they give you a kit to replace the innards. anyone know if thats true?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by gen3fan

i've always been fine with craftsman, but i heard that now if you break a ratchet, they don't give you a new one, instead they give you a kit to replace the innards. anyone know if thats true?
I have never heard of that.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:49 PM
Pointy Elbows

Craftsman here. I've broken a few sockets and snapped off a ratchet extension a few times. Just go get a new one for free.

I remember back in 7th grade shop class (or "Industrial Arts" as they called it) when our teacher lectured us on the Craftsman unconditional lifetime warranty. I was amazed.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:13 PM

snap-on.. hands down.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:07 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by BlooToof
*in a ricer tone* bro, its not what you have its how you use it
Come back when you can twist the end off an 18mm bolt with your bare hands...

Wish I hadn't thrown those wrenches out. you could see the bends in them.. grrrr
Old 12-19-2007, 08:14 PM

Snap On is better, but you pay out the @$$. For your home user I think Craftsman is fine.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:44 PM
retired moderator

I usually use my index finger and thumb to get 18mm bolts off. If they're heavily rusted, sometimes I add my middle finger to the mix

Old 12-19-2007, 09:12 PM

One time i couldnt get my 36mm nut off when i was doing my axles, so i called up chuck norris and he took it off with his index and thumb fingers. He also snapped several wheel studs when he was torquing them down with his index finger only.

On another note, one of my crafstmen sockets just screwed me over today, it formed a crack so, ever time i was using my 21mm on the locking lug nut key it would slip and stripped the key, luckily it didnt ruin the lug nut, those things are a PITA to remove when they crack or strip.

Ill try sum it up:

If you have the money, snap on/mac/SK is superior to other store bought brands such as craftsman, husky, etc. But if you are on a budget for the average weekend mechanic they will easily suffice. But remember, the saying goes "you get what you pay for"
Old 12-20-2007, 08:58 AM
L.M.L.

i think i should stay away from craftsman from now on.. way too many cracked sockets. tiered of replacing them.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:46 AM

I'm just curious. The people out there that complain about cracked sockets and what not; What do you do with your tools? Use a wrench as a hammer?

It's normal to break a couple of tools, but if your breaking too many, maybe you work often enough to that you need a more reliable brand. Just my $.02

I personally have a good mix of brands. My main set is Craftsman, but I do have some S-K tools from the times I needed a tool quickly and stoped by NAPA (I thinkk thats where I picked them up). I also have odds and ends that are specialty tools and aren't Craftsman.
I think my air tools are iR but I'm not sure.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned

snap-on and mac are one time offers of 50 percent off.basicly you make a tool set up that is offered at the discounted price and then pay one lump usm of cash for it at the colleges. as for cornwell & matco as long as you are in the automotive program yyou have everything at about 40-60 percent off depending on the cost of the tool. but like for everyday lug nut removing air impacts use a cheap air impact and only use the expensive impacts for more important and well needed power removing nuts and bolts. hammers and files and lil crap use cheap stuff but wrenches and ratchets and sockets and so on use good quality. best gear wrenches you can get are the makes of the gear wrench(Gear Wrench) lolz. so im not saying that everything you buy has to be snap-on cornwell matco and mac but the more important things should be of very good quality. now i understand for the DIY'ers craftsman will do but for those of us that do this as our profession there is a very good reason as to why to buy quality. because quality tools make the job an easier thing to do.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:59 PM

Wish I hadn't thrown those wrenches out. you could see the bends in them.. grrrr
Dude both you an I know that only Chuck Norris can do that. So thats not a fair come back. I hope you know I was le kiddin' too
Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 AM

stick with craftsman. their reliable and sold at a decent price. guess im a loyal craftsman freak. done all the dirty work on my ride with these tools.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by bwinter7
Air compressors, get a good powerful one. Air tools, NOT the $35 advanced auto parts ones. torque wrenches, you can tell the difference. I'd also get a $50 Oxy-Acetylene torch set, it's nice to have, you can use one or the other, it has two bottles and you can adjust the mixture/temp. Great for body-work and getting rusty bolts out, before you strip them or shear the heads off. I am sure there is more, I just cant think of any at the moment

You can buy a mini Oxy-Acetylene torch set? Where? I always wanted a smaller scale one, but I could never find one(although I didnt look too hard)

O yah and Snap-on is better in most of there tools over Craftsman. I have both but I have to say paying 3x the price is something I don't do if it is a basic tool. I have Snap-on ratchets and there amazing. I have never had a gear slip like I have on Craftsman's ones... Craftsman overall is a good tool depending on whole made it that year (and yes Sears uses the highest bidder to make there tools) A lot of Craftmans are made by Stanley though and I have seen some made by Cornwell...
Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 PM

Craftsman Tools...but if you can "afford" them...SnapOn!!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:00 PM

Snap-on is definately better than craftsman but I have to admit that I use only craftsman unless I am working with rusted out and seized up bolts. Craftsman steel is just too soft and has caused me many headaches when I haven't been careful. The main thing craftsman tools have in their favor for most people is the fact that there is a Sears within 10 minutes where they can get a replacement if something happens. All that said I broke over 20 craftsman tools in the last year.

Last edited by Josh; 03-03-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 PM

i got a whole socket set and ratchet from advance auto parts for 6 dollars with a lifetime warranty lol
Old 03-12-2008, 11:05 PM

no true professional worth his weight would use a tool made by sears. (some specialty tools, MAYBE) i only use snap-on tools. but i'm a professional that uses his tools every single day of the year.

if you're a hobbyist, as most people are, spending money on snap-on tools is not great investment, unless you want to hand the tools down to your grandkids one day. craftsman tools will serve the weekend warrior just fine.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by planes891
i got a whole socket set and ratchet from advance auto parts for 6 dollars with a lifetime warranty lol
and you'll use that warranty too. trust me.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Only Snap on tool I use is the torque wrench. Everything else Craftsman
Old 04-22-2008, 03:33 PM

Snap On,
Macto is good too,
I use both. Both those ratchets are snap on.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...4/100_0986.jpg
Old 04-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Banned

I notice nobody has mentioned Proto. It maybe something to consider - they likely meet or exceed most of the snap on line and might be slightly cheaper.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:44 AM

snap-on is definitely better. I have owned many craftsman tools in the past and the reason i dont have them any more is because they all broke, and although they are lifetime replacement, there is no replacement for a tool that doesnt brake (snap-on)
Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by j2b4osan
snap-on is definitely better. I have owned many craftsman tools in the past and the reason i dont have them any more is because they all broke, and although they are lifetime replacement, there is no replacement for a tool that doesnt brake (snap-on)
That's a first.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:02 PM

like most said here, ill go with craftsman. i have the $180 set(245pc mechanic set, if i remember right) and thats pretty much all i need. any special tools i needed autozone had them for free to use so ive been lucky.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 PM

The only reason that some brands may break over others is because people don't realize that impact sockets>chrome sockets...I highly doubt that impact sockets of any brand will break anytime soon. So right there you can just spend a little more and have heavy duty sockets for everything.

Only Snap-On product I have is the CT4850 impact gun, other than that, everything is Craftsman, some Husky, and some miscellaneous brands as well.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Ive broken impact sockets too. Now that im really getting into the automotive trade (Apprenticeship time) Ive started to buy more high end tools. Back a few months ago, i had craftsman tools, and didnt have many problems, but eventually i started buying MAC, and snap on, and realized how much better they are.

For example, my favorite tool, are my mac EDGE flex head ratcheting wrenches, for 8-19mm cost me 300$, but these things are incredible..ive taken off nuts that are almost completely rounded. Saved my A$$ a few times.

same with screw drivers. I have a Mac ratcheting screw driver, my craftsman tool set from along time ago had those little screw driver bits, when i use those, 7/10 times if im not pressing hard enough it will slip and start to strip the screw. I went and got some snap on bits, and ive NEVER had the same problem, unless the screw was already stripped.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
Ive broken impact sockets too. Now that im really getting into the automotive trade (Apprenticeship time) Ive started to buy more high end tools. Back a few months ago, i had craftsman tools, and didnt have many problems, but eventually i started buying MAC, and snap on, and realized how much better they are.

For example, my favorite tool, are my mac EDGE flex head ratcheting wrenches, for 8-19mm cost me 300$, but these things are incredible..ive taken off nuts that are almost completely rounded. Saved my A$$ a few times.

same with screw drivers. I have a Mac ratcheting screw driver, my craftsman tool set from along time ago had those little screw driver bits, when i use those, 7/10 times if im not pressing hard enough it will slip and start to strip the screw. I went and got some snap on bits, and ive NEVER had the same problem, unless the screw was already stripped.

I have head this same thought from a lot of technicians. I think for the average diy'er they would be fine but when your job is depending on it you would want the best. I have craftsman, snap on, matco and mac and the difference is there.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:48 PM

I personally like Craftsman. Never had any problems. I believe you are just paying for the name. But as for electrical and cordless items, I go with Dewalt
Old 06-03-2008, 09:28 PM

I see tools as a lifetime (even multi generation) purchase so I have no problem buying nicer stuff. If you think of it like that and amortize them they aren't as expensive. It pays for itself to have the right tool/nice tools that work. Tools are used to fix things, you shouldn't have to worry about them breaking too.

Not to mention nice tools makes things easier. Better fit, ergonomics, stronger, it's simply smart to use the proper tool. You work more efficiently, reduce headaches.

Last edited by MrGone; 06-03-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
I see tools as a lifetime (even multi generation) purchase so I have no problem buying nicer stuff. If you think of it like that and amortize them they aren't as expensive. It pays for itself to have the right tool/nice tools that work. Tools are used to fix things, you shouldn't have to worry about them breaking too.

Not to mention nice tools makes things easier. Better fit, ergonomics, stronger, it's simply smart to use the proper tool. You work more efficiently, reduce headaches.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:05 PM

I used to say that craftsman was perfectly fine and would suffice for just about everyone. I received a Craftsman socket and screwdriver set in the mail today and I'm really not happy with the quality and strength of the parts I bought, especially the screwdrivers. My fathers craftsman tools are almost 30 years old and still work. They're also much stronger than the tools I bought. Its good I only spent 50 dollars on about 100 pieces. I'm going with another manufacturer next time, probably not Snap-On, but I doubt I'm going to invest any more money in Craftsman.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

used to work in a few dealerships and got caught up in the tool fight. i have mac, matco, craftsman, snap on, cornwell, kobalt, husky, and pepboys. out of all the tools i have had the biggest problems with snap on. mainly my 1/2 ratchet. now i dont work in a dealer anymore and have a shoebox full of broken snap on stuff thats cheaper to replace with craftsman or pepboys then to ship to snap on for replacement.

Quick Reply: Snap-on tools v. Craftsman?