Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

ALLDATA- I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

ALLDATA- I need some help

Not quite sure if this is the place for this but I've got a laptop with ALLDATA installed and all the DVDs are copied into an external hard drive that actually has the capacity to hold the 80GB+ of manufacturers/repair data.

The actual problem is that the program once loaded and key is veried, will not recognize that section where the data is stored and is asking to insert DVD #___. This is a clients laptop and has given me the laptop to figure this out but I'm having trouble setting that directory as the source instead of using the optical drive. I dont have the discs to play with and my client put em away in such secure spot due to the nature of its price that he's lost track of where he kept them and would prefer to run from storage anyway.

Anyone here played with the program before and if so, ever had that problem?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-11-2008, 09:19 AM

havent seen that problem, but we have all the disc's in a folder at my shop.....maybe the program needs to see a disc in order to run? i just tried to open it up and it seems like you need a disc to run it. try getting a set on ebay or something....
Old 11-11-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by allblackmax96
havent seen that problem, but we have all the disc's in a folder at my shop.....maybe the program needs to see a disc in order to run? i just tried to open it up and it seems like you need a disc to run it. try getting a set on ebay or something....
Thats what we're trying to avoid considering he's got the disc..the moment new ones are purchased, the old ones turn up..it always happens like that lol. Oh and that also eliminates the need for him hiring me to "fix it" as he can install it himself but it'll cost him more.

Not sure if this is exactly it but there's a utility that comes with the program itself called "ALLDATA Disc Copy" and from what my client told me is that it used to work without CD until one of his workers appearantly tried to copy the saved software so I dont know if this could've triggered some sort of anti piracy lock.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep messing with the settings and perhaps it'll work,

thanks for the help
Old 11-11-2008, 03:26 PM
STFU n00b!

Stupid Q... Tried calling AllData?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Stupid Q... Tried calling AllData?
I have not, I was hoping to find the answer online as I usually do when I have trouble with clients' computers...usually google groups kicks *** but there was nothing on that topic.

A buddy of mine who knows the program well is meeting up with me tonight to take a look at it and if not then I'll give ALLDATA tech support a call.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:42 PM

In case anyone cares, we've solved the problem... here's what we did just in case anyone has this problem in the future.

Alright so all the data was stored in an external hard drive. Under the Data drop down menu there's an option for "devices" you must add the (network) device you want to get your data from. Originally this is what I was trying to do but it wouldn't work. What we had to do what get a little more detailed and add FOLDER by FOLDER from that directory into connected devices. In other words, each folder containing car information just ended up being a connected device.

Here are two screen shots.:

This is the folder containing all manufacturers data in the external HD

This is where you must add each one individually.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You could also just use a program like daemon tools (it's good for many things) to mount the disk onto a virtual dvd drive. The program wouldn't know the difference. Glad you got it figured out though.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by nismology
You could also just use a program like daemon tools (it's good for many things) to mount the disk onto a virtual dvd drive. The program wouldn't know the difference. Glad you got it figured out though.
Yea but non of those were .iso or image files... I dont even remember what files they were but I do know that they were "backedup" with their propietary stuff so it might've been some weird file type
Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unhappy Help

I am having the same problema con All Datta but tried the "connect" thing folder by folder, still is not working. My pc is on Win Xp.....I think it was the update the pc did that screw a perfectly working alldata.....any clues!

Gracias

Cali es Cali y lo demas es loma

pd I HATE THIS SECURITY CODE THING TO POST A QUESTION IS ANNOYING
Old 02-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

U need power ISO to create a virtual drive
Old 12-11-2017, 09:46 PM

I know someone who can unlock all that for you!