Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

If you have a fire extinguisher...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you have a fire extinguisher...

.....than go out and buy 4 more, you can never have enough fire extinguishers. I thought 1 extra large abc would cover anything I could cause, but it wasn't enough to put out the fire I caused testing my newly fixed welder at the end of the day, not knowing my friend cut through fuel lines earlier in the day. Still my fault obviously. My shop went up, I lost all of my power tools, electrical testers, diagnostic equipment, my 5th gen that I had sold for $4k, I caused some major damage to my 2004 YZ250, all of my paint/chemicals/supplies are gone, a cat died, the building is pretty junk, a bunch of people are out of work, and come to find out my landlord is saying his insurance lapsed + he is a slimeball, so who knows how that will work out. Common sense could have prevented it obviously, but if I had more extinguishers I would have been able to get it under control, insurance would have been a great idea as well.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:01 PM

Damn dude...that sucks. I hope everything works out for you in the end.

Anyone hurt?
Old 11-08-2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
Damn dude...that sucks. I hope everything works out for you in the end.

Anyone hurt?
Thanks man, I'm a fighter so I'll pull through & probably better in the end. Tomorrow I start the building of a temporary double carport & flooring to get me by, wish I did this awhile ago because it's going to cost less than 1 months rent at the last place, just won't look as nice.

Nobody hurt thankfully, just the cat which sucks because I'm a huge animal lover. It got pretty crazy though once it flared back up, fire is some unreal ****, at one point the entire place was engulfed in flames around me than it got REAL dark.

Worst part about it is the fact that my shop was ACROSS THE STREET FORM THE FIRE STATION! Neighbors ran over there but they said they couldn't respond until 911 dispatched them, then when they finally did show up 12 minutes later they were ****ing retarded idiots joking around with eachother and not really doing much. It was pathetic. From talking to a few people after, including my dad who worked at the courthous nearby for years, it was probably either 1: something political, ie fire union contract didn't go through so let's respond slower guys. 2: the building owner & fire dept. don't get along, or 3: the building owner & fire dept get along real well and there is some shady insurance stuff going on, ie "hey if one of my dimwit tenants lights the place up let it burn as much as you can"

I don't really know why, all I know is there is SOMETHING going on and the fire department could have stopped a lot of my stuff from getting ruined if they acted a little different.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Hey Kev, hang in there man, it'll get better for you. I was there helping clean up the next day and it is amazing how much damage a fire can do. Let me know if theres anything else you need, I would be glad to help.

If you want I can post up a few pics from my cell of the aftermath...
Old 11-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Damn Kev.. sorry to hear about this!! Glad you and everyone else are ok though!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
Hey Kev, hang in there man, it'll get better for you. I was there helping clean up the next day and it is amazing how much damage a fire can do. Let me know if theres anything else you need, I would be glad to help.

If you want I can post up a few pics from my cell of the aftermath...
Yeah throw up a pic of the 5th gen And yeah, it's unreal, the damage was suprising to me but what suprised me more was how in an instant everything can get so crazy. I'm just so glad no one was hurt also, the other day I left dave in the garage by himself and without even knowing it out of force of habit I locked the outside of the garage when I left, thinking about what would have happened if the fire happened then has me more freaked out than anything.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM

Dang man, sorry to hear. I'm sure you'll recover & come back 10x stronger (and cautious).
Old 11-08-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
Yeah throw up a pic of the 5th gen And yeah, it's unreal, the damage was suprising to me but what suprised me more was how in an instant everything can get so crazy. I'm just so glad no one was hurt also, the other day I left dave in the garage by himself and without even knowing it out of force of habit I locked the outside of the garage when I left, thinking about what would have happened if the fire happened then has me more freaked out than anything.
Yeah man, I hear you but thankfully everyone was able to get out okay at the time of the fire. You'll get through this and you've got plenty of people on your side to help you out.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:30 AM

Damn kevin... Those basterds didnt do nothing?! I think ur right.. something is definately happening..

if someone had died, i hope the firefighters would have that on their conscience for the rest of their lives....

I'm sure you'll pull through...
Old 11-09-2009, 05:44 AM

good thing you're just renting and don't own the place with out insurance like your landlord, I thought you can't do business in MA without insurance. Anyways, did you have renters insurance or other insurance to cover your losses? was the 5th gen and yz250 the only casualties besides the tools? Man, I can't imagine lossing my tools in a blink of on eye. Good luck to you, it'll get better.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Maximoneypit

Ahhh Kevin really sorry to hear about this man. Hope things can get resolved for you in some manner.

Grant
Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 AM
STFU n00b!

Damn... Sorry to hear man... Definitely a few things to think about. 1. fuel near welding equipment, 2. fire extinguishers, 3. Renter's insurance!!!!

I've only had two small fires in 10+ years of working in a shop, and they were both caused by not paying attention to what was around my welder. One was some brake fluid on my workbench from a caliper rebuild I did earlier that day. that caught fire from weld spatter while I was inside eating lunch. I came back out and there were 2' flames on the workbench. I was able to put it out quickly, but it melted the housing on a drill and disc grinder. both are still usable though.

The other was a cardboard box full of random old parts under my workbench. again got some weld spatter in it and the box caught fire. since I was welding away with my hood on 3' above it, I never saw or smelled the smoke until the box was almost gone.

Those both happened in a matter of about 1 week. Since then I've made it a point to relocate anything flammable while I'm welding and to cover the surface of the workbench with a fiberglass mat to prevent spatter from igniting anything embedded into the workbench.

I also have a 10lb and a 25lb halon fire extinguisher near the door of the garage. FIRST thing to do is get out of the garage if the place is on fire. Then, IF you can put the fire out, only then do you grab a can and start hosing things down.

I'm glad the only casualty was the cat. Sorry for kitty, but at least it wasn't a human. The rest of the stuff can be replaced- eventually. I hope everything works out okay on the financial end. Sounds like you're in for a battle with the landlord.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:44 PM

GL man, sorry to hear
Old 11-09-2009, 02:53 PM

wow man sorry to hear about that. def gl with everythin, hope everythin turns out for the better
Old 11-09-2009, 03:25 PM
nycnissans

damm, sorry to hear Kevin.......you did have alot into that shop
Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Thanks again guys, meeting with a lawyer in a few days, hopefully he will have good news. I have more bad news, I'm pretty sure the idiot who bought my '97 5-speed missed a shift and blew the motor, he's taking me to small claims court for $1,400. WTF

Hey, I made the Plymouth online news though!

Four Plymouth Fire Department engines responded to a fire at 109 Sandwich St., across the street from department headquarters, just before 4 p.m. Friday. A second alarm drew support from Kingston Engine 2. Police said sparks created by a worker welding a car likely spread to fallen leaves. No injuries were reported.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:41 PM

I have more bad news, I'm pretty sure the idiot who bought my '97 5-speed missed a shift and blew the motor, he's taking me to small claims court for $1,400. WTF
did you give him a warranty or sold as-is?

you know what they say, bad things come in two...or was that threes?

anyways, its just a wave of misfortune, you just gonna have to ride it off.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 PM

Damn I'm sorry man. Hopefully everything works out for you.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 AM
VQ30 DE T

"When it rains, it pours"

Update your f/s threads. Im pretty sure you have a part I can use

Good luck man.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 AM

WOW, Kev, don't even know where to start....

Sorry to hear about your business loss and now the issue with the car sale.

I guess your right about owning more than one fire extinguisher. I think we own like 4-5 at our home, just in case...

Really hope, things turn up man!

If you need any help let me know.

-Jesse
Old 11-14-2009, 03:37 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Wow! I'm sorry Kevin. Glad you're ok. If there is anything I can do to help out, please let me know.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

This is your E-hug. Sorry man, its tough to loose your livliehood.
I did the same thing a year ago. Welding up the holes in the floor pan of the 24hoursofLemons car, I went right through the plastic fuel line. Fortunately we were able to push the car out of the shop, and get the hose and extinguishers on it.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:46 PM

Hey if any of you guys are friends of Kevins, and actually talk to him, can you please just pass the message on for him to get back to me, he's suppose to send me a 5spd swap and still hasnt, i no these current events sets things back but i havent heard from in a while now and its makin me a lil nervous, so please if any of you guys know him just tell him to check his pms, thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bird1411
Hey if any of you guys are friends of Kevins, and actually talk to him, can you please just pass the message on for him to get back to me, he's suppose to send me a 5spd swap and still hasn't, i no these current events sets things back but i havent heard from in a while now and its makin me a lil nervous, so please if any of you guys know him just tell him to check his pms, thanks
PM sent, .org was fubar'd for me since I got your last one.

Anyways I'm working on rebuilding now, I have been busting some serious *** trying to put up a 22' X 24' carport to get me by until springtime and then have a place for hobby stuff in the future as well. I've pretty much been working 8am until 10pm for a week now cleaning off smoke damage and constructing, with a little packaging & shipping mixed in.

Floor: $600, consists of 45+ free hardwood pallets. leveled ground (sorta), layed down pallets and put down 3/4" t&g osb. Then covered that with some 5mm hardwood so at least I'm not working on OSB, anyone familiar with this knows that I have been screwing woodscrews for 2+ days now (I'm doing this by myself) I'm staining the floor today. It's not the greatest but I'll be able to keep it real clean and smooth and hopefully it won't warp to much, if it does I'll just add more screws or redo the top layer with something else, allthough I can't even imagine having to put in more screws, lol, I wish I sprung for the 3/4" oak, I came real close, but at $43/sheet I passed.

20 yards of 3/4" stone delivered but spread by myself, $600, no mud out back: priceless.

22X24x10 carport, $1,600 but I have to pick it up in CT

Somehow I thought all of this would come together much faster, but it seems to be taking forever, hopefully the carport itself will go up real fast, I estimate that when all is said and done, after I buy lights and heat it will run me about $3,500, and I also might buy something to plow with, which is going to drain my savings, I have been busting *** because I need it up FAST, because once it's done I have to take care of the legal stuff, do a few free jobs, and then work on my own stuff, my I30 still has that stupid pathfinder manifold on it and I am thinking about putting a de-k in it if the motor doesn't sell.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Where are you rebuilding, Kevin?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 PM

any updates on the progress?
Old 12-23-2009, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
any updates on the progress?
YES, and thanks for asking.

So far I've spent about $3,200 and I must say, I like it better than any of the 3 (bigger) garages I was renting, or at least I will once I do some more work in the springtime. When spring rolls around I am building a cement pad as an outdoor work area on the back side, but even now it works out good because I can have 4 cars engine bays within 5 feet of my toolbox.

Some updates have been made since the pics, I swear I had more but don't know what happened, I'll have to get some more. I built a rock driveway going out there, and also dug drainage & a massive trench & had an electrician put a panel out there so I now have 2 20 amp circuits & 1 30amp 220 breaker for my compressor, which will only go up once it has a nice soundproof enclosure seperate from the carport to save space & keep the neighbors happy, for now I am using a ghey emglo only for filling tires & blowing parts clean.

The wood floor is THE ****! So far, the two other people that have helped me work on cars out there also love it! Why? It's so comfortable! It's nice and warms, and it's cleaner & more comfortable to lay on than concrete. I just un-turboe'd that 5th gen & did the trans on it yesterday and I must say it went SOOOO smooth.

Once my boxing trainer get's over here one of these days I'll have two 12' x 2' benches at arm level going down the side, plus tons of eye level shelving. Storage is in a seperate 12 x 20 carport that I just bought a new cover & end-door for but I need some warm weather to rip it all apart again & resquare the frame & cover it better, but it's good for now & is housing a few engines, transmissions, TONS of 4g parts, and the tools I don't use often like engine stands & hoist.

It's definitely a work in progress, only one side has the flashing done, I also NEED a real wooden door on one end, totally sealing it off and insulating will happen before the cement pad around the back. But regardless, it took so long but I am FINALLY back in the groove & getting a lot done. And yes, it's warm out there, that heater throws some heat, propane pwns since you don't need to ventilate.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:27 AM

Also, bought a new scanner & multimeter, and it turns out that the only power-tool that didn't work was a drill that should have been replaced SOOOOOO long ago, if anyone remembers the orange drill I had that used to seize up occasional and had toasted bearings. My brand new sawzall survived, asides from going from brand new to being black with melted plastic embedded in it. And also my grandfathers BIG Napa drill made it through also, I used it yesterday and it made my day because that was an irreplaceable heirloom.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:39 AM

Also, bought a new scanner & multimeter, and it turns out that the only power-tool that didn't work was a drill that should have been replaced SOOOOOO long ago, if anyone remembers the orange drill I had that used to seize up occasional and had toasted bearings. My brand new sawzall survived, asides from going from brand new to being black with melted plastic embedded in it. And also my grandfathers BIG Napa drill made it through also, I used it yesterday and it made my day because that was an irreplaceable heirloom.
I remember the orange drill...it's good to see you are up and running, slowly but surely...let me know if you need any help, Kev!

Sent you a pm, let me know...

-Jesse

Last edited by MaximusMorpheus; 12-23-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:09 AM

sorry to hear about it. i would talk to a lawyer about suing the FD. what about the 2 paramedics the other day that let a pregnant woman die, because they were on break.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:57 AM

man that wood floor does look comfy, wood floor>cold concrete