Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

Transmission Jack???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:25 PM

Transmission Jack???

OK, so I'm in the market for a telescoping vertical transmission jack, to use along with my 2-post lift. I'm looking at lots of different sources - Fleabay, HF, even NAPA. I'm finding a WIDE array of different prices for the different styles, but as a general idea, I'm leaning toward the 2-stage telescoping style, with a foot pump, etc. As a minimum, I insist on at least a single-stage with a foot pump. As much as I hate the idea of buying cheapo chinese crap tools, I can get the 1100 lb 2-stage style for around $260 on Fleabay, or single stage ones for less than that. Or, I could go HF online, since they don't even stock them in their stores anymore, and get a single stage for about $200 or a 2000 lb 2-stage for...$500.00 (!!!!!). Alternatively, NAPA right now has in their store an 1100 lb single stage on sale for $500, and it actually is a very good looking, very heavy-duty tool.

Anybody have any actual experience with any of the above?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:14 PM
The original VQ...

I have the HF one, im not a machanic by trade so I took a chance with the quality. I pulled the trans on my cts-v with it twice by myself, the jack isnt a gift from god but made it possible to make it a one man job.

also did the trans on my max with it, made it easier for sure.

And my buddies have used it a few times aswell.

So its gotten used but if your a mechanic by trade Id look into a better quality one.

I remeber the jack was on sale for around 75$ and then I used a 20% off coupon. and got a free flashligh

Was well worth it to me.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I also have a hf trans jack.
Junk, but it works (like most of harbor freight junk).
it's bearable on a fwd car.
rwd cars, it is in the way more than not. hell, I had better luck pulling the auto out of a Starion, and dropping it on my chest than using that crappy jack. If you wanna do something bigger, say a 700r4, forget about it.