General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Info on new billet cams

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 01:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Price of cams

Originally posted by i30krab

I had the rods shot peaned and reshaped, costs a few hundred $, much cheaper than custom. For our purposes with smaller shots of N20 and stillen superchargers , this should be more than adequate. Also, ypu're better off with the VQ30DET pistons because you'll get a more boost friendly 9:1 compression and again they're much cheaper, around $500.00 per set.
As far as turbo cars go, all bets are off concerning the above info.
Huh? Why are all bets off for turbo cars? Especially since the VQ30DET is turbocharged?
Old 07-13-2002, 03:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Price of cams

Originally posted by turbo97SE

Huh? Why are all bets off for turbo cars? Especially since the VQ30DET is turbocharged?
Because the factory is very conservative with boost, etc. I know some of you guys will not only crank up the boost, you'll also throw in N2O and god knows what else!! This scenario calls for some heavy duty internals!
Old 07-13-2002, 03:17 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Price of cams

do you think the VQ walls could be sleeved?? I plan on sleeving the cylinder walls in my B16, I would think the VQ might have the same options, of course it would be "custom" as most Max internals! its an expensive process though, only for the real serious guys!!

Because the factory is very conservative with boost, etc. I know some of you guys will not only crank up the boost, you'll also throw in N2O and god knows what else!! This scenario calls for some heavy duty internals!
Old 07-13-2002, 04:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Price of cams

True, but my thinking is boost is boost whether it is turbo or S/C. Hehe Nitrous ... this is very true, but the DET engines tend to be VERY strong! Not sure about our block though.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the info Ron!!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 12:04 PM
SLOW

Oh for crying out loud... I just spent over a grand on MEVI and ECU and I thought I was done spending money on this car. Then you have to go and announce that JWT has cams available... There's another $1500 out the window
Old 07-15-2002, 01:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Cams!!!!!!!!!
Wow. I never thought I'd see the day when cams would be available. I hope there will be some great results because that is a ton of work to replace those babies! Install price will be $$$$$$$$$$$ on top of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the cams themselves.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:02 PM

Hey Ron, sweet new mod!!! Drop me a line next time you are in Burbank!

lrdrandall@yahoo.com
Old 07-15-2002, 04:06 PM
dot dot dot ...

Just imagine someone with a stock Maxima buying a y-pipe/VI/ ECU and cams, with no other mods, and putting them all on @ once? Can you say silent warrior? I mean sure, it may have a little different sound, but imagine like 25-30++FWHP gain @ redline!!
Old 07-17-2002, 10:09 AM

253hp JDM 3.0L Max

- One of the mags was mentioning a bunch of Nissan engine stuff right before the Infiniti G35 came out. They mentioned that the Japanese home market had a production Nissan that was powered by a VQ30DE that put out 253hp (flywheel hp, of course). I don't know if this was a turbo car or not.
- 253flywheel-hp with a 15% loss equals 215fwhp. Do you all think that a MEVI and the JWT Cams could get this? What about with an intake and a full exhaust from the y-pipe back?
Old 07-17-2002, 02:40 PM

Re: Time for questions

Originally posted by Supai91
Does they have any cams for turbo charged max what about the super charged?
Are they only done for the N/A max?
Does the cams come with harder springs and better retainers?
How much should be the set of vq30det pistons?
I do have that but actually I'm looking for new pistons
Old 07-17-2002, 08:08 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Time for questions

Originally posted by Supai91
Does the cams come with harder springs and better retainers?
thats a good question.....the longer durations will put more stress on your valvetrain parts, upgrades would be pretty decent I guess!
Old 07-17-2002, 08:23 PM
SLOW

I'm sure they don't come with stiffer springs and retainers, but you can buy them. All about the $$$.

JWT will do custom cams, so if these are billets and not regrinds you could have them grind you any specs you want, including turbo and SC cams. Also all about the $$$.

SleeperSE, I'm sure 215hp would not be a problem for a VI and Cammed 4th gen. I'm hoping to break the 200whp mark with my VI and ECU... not sure if it will happen but I bet I'll be close. I think Kevin97SE has come the closest, with 192hp I believe, no VI but he did have other special work done.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:30 PM

Re: Info on new billet cams

what are the spacers that you mention. would they be part of the kit if i buy the cams or are they extra$$. i assume the go between the camshaft and the followers/lifter buckets.

I talked to Jim Wolf today and he gave me permission to discuss the new cams. I don't have the new specs yet but they'll be posted next week. They are a mild street strip grind, not a full race design. They did me a favor and sent me 4 cams much earlier because my engine was already apart. The cams were developed for the new 3.5 L engine but with the addition of proper spacers, they drop right into the 4th gen motor. My car is going in monday to have the motor reinstalled and I'll keep you posted.
Mardigras, you are correct, the 395 cc injectors will limit me to 420-430 bhp but that's fine because if I do get the 550cc inject., then I'll have to upgrade to a full 3" exhaust and these 2 mods could add up to another $2500.00. I'll be happy with over 400 horses for my every day ride because I'll be faster than 85- 90% of the cars on the street!!
Old 07-17-2002, 09:31 PM

I know this could vary place to place but for a general idea anyone know how much it would cost to install cams into our max?

SuDZ
Old 07-17-2002, 10:05 PM
SLOW

Is my understanding correct that it is not possible to have adjustable cam gears because of our timing chain design, rather than having a timing belt?
Old 07-18-2002, 06:49 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by SuDZ
I know this could vary place to place but for a general idea anyone know how much it would cost to install cams into our max?

SuDZ
I'd say average head removal, cam install, head replacement and "adjustments" will be about $800-1000 at most shops...if you're lucky!!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

I'd say average head removal, cam install, head replacement and "adjustments" will be about $800-1000 at most shops...if you're lucky!!
You make it sound so easy!!!

After you are done with your CRX do you think I could retain the services of DA-MAX Inc. for the cam install?

I just glanced through the Haynes manual and I can't believe the amount of work!!! Remove upper intake manifold, valve covers, power steering pump and bracket, air conditioning compressor and bracket, crankshaft pulley, crossmember, engine mounts, upper and lower oil pan, various sensors and harnesses, and finally the front timing chain cover. Then we have the pleasure of removing the timing chains, sprockets, and bearing caps to get to the cams.

I give cam removal and install a 5 out 5 cases of beer for install difficulty.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

LOL...I've seen it done, but hell if I'll attempt to do it! I'm scared to even try to remove the cams for fear of scratching up the lobes too badly. but yeah, you just summed it up...basucally in lamens terms, take off the top half of the motor and some belts and **** I've gone down to the valvecovers/head before in my VG to do my injectors, but from valve covers down, I'm not touching anything (well at least with my current knowledge)!!!

Originally posted by speedtrip

After you are done with your CRX do you think I could retain the services of DA-MAX Inc. for the cam install?

I just glanced through the Haynes manual and I can't believe the amount of work!!! Remove upper intake manifold, valve covers, power steering pump and bracket, air conditioning compressor and bracket, crankshaft pulley, crossmember, engine mounts, upper and lower oil pan, various sensors and harnesses, and finally the front timing chain cover. Then we have the pleasure of removing the timing chains, sprockets, and bearing caps to get to the cams.

Old 07-18-2002, 11:23 AM

You shouldn't have to remove any of the accessories or the oil pan at all. Just do what the se-r guys do for the cam install. Zip tie the timing chain to the sprockets and use a wood block to keep the chain tensioned. After the IM is removed I figure another 2-4 hours for cam install (following the torque specs and sequence is vital). It can be done in a weekend with hand tools or 1 day with air tools.

Old 07-18-2002, 11:30 AM

This should make for a very intresting write up if anyone ever gets around to doing it.

SuDZ
Old 07-18-2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
You shouldn't have to remove any of the accessories or the oil pan at all. Just do what the se-r guys do for the cam install. Zip tie the timing chain to the sprockets and use a wood block to keep the chain tensioned. After the IM is removed I figure another 2-4 hours for cam install (following the torque specs and sequence is vital). It can be done in a weekend with hand tools or 1 day with air tools.
Hmmmmmmmmm. Well what I know about taking the VQ apart wouldn't even fill a thimble. Are you saying that the cams can be removed with the front timing cover in place? I don't see how on god's green earth that the front timing cover could be removed without taking off all the accessories.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:32 PM

To revisit the idle issues; lumpy idles are cool! Just like a true muscle car...now I need a bore/stroke on my VQ. haha.

Anyway, the SR20's with cams actually BLUB, like an oldschool muscle car, so it just depends on how aggressive you want to go.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:27 PM

Once you remove the valve cover the camshaft and the sprockets should be exposed. Then you zip-tie the chain to the sprocket so you don't mess up the timing. After that you use a wood block or anything else to keep tension on the chain so it doesn't come off the crankshaft sprocket. The june 2001 issue of SCC has the cam install instructions.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Well what I know about taking the VQ apart wouldn't even fill a thimble. Are you saying that the cams can be removed with the front timing cover in place? I don't see how on god's green earth that the front timing cover could be removed without taking off all the accessories.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:47 PM
dot dot dot ...

They (SCC)had a cam shootout with a Sentra. I have the issue, interesting, with an untuend ECU the ains were real nice, but when JWT tuned them, wow, gains of like 30hp+
Old 07-18-2002, 05:14 PM

Once you remove the valve cover the camshaft and the sprockets should be exposed. Then you zip-tie the chain to the sprocket so you don't mess up the timing. After that you use a wood block or anything else to keep tension on the chain so it doesn't come off the crankshaft sprocket. The june 2001 issue of SCC has the cam install instructions.
Thanks for the explanation. I will have to dig up that issue of SCC.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:01 PM

Here are some instructions too http://www.geocities.com/n_dahi/cams/cams.htm

Thanks for the explanation. I will have to dig up that issue of SCC.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:41 AM

$1000 for cams, and another $1000 for install and you you will need an ECU (anther $500+) to get maximum gains . Thats 1/2 the price of a turbo or SC. Do they plan on making an ECU for the 97 plus Maxima? The same cams for the 3.5 would work in a fourth gen?

The gains would have to be pretty significant for me to even consider this Mod, I will definatly wait until this has been tried and dyno proven.

I remember reading in the review of the new 350Z in Car & Driver (don't have it with me) that the 350Z makes more HP (over the Maxima)in part due to 'hotter' Cams. Would these cams give the Maxima any gains and would the cost be any less than JWTs?
Old 07-19-2002, 08:46 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by Anachronism
$1000 for cams, and another $1000 for install
you simply gotta pay to play!! its not for the faint of heart or wallet, for that matter.
Old 07-19-2002, 08:52 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Would these cams give the Maxima any gains and would the cost be any less than JWTs?
and I don't think the JWT cams are the SAME ones in the Z, they are proabbly a little more agreesive on the lift and duration... re-read the original post, these cams are FOR the new 3.5 motor, it would be kinda pointless to make exact copies.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:51 AM

and I don't think the JWT cams are the SAME ones in the Z, they are proabbly a little more agreesive on the lift and duration... re-read the original post, these cams are FOR the new 3.5 motor, it would be kinda pointless to make exact copies.
I didn't think the were the same as the JWT, i just read that the are more aggresive (then the maxima cams) and thought they might give similer gains to the JWT. I guess the JWT cams are even more aggressive, possibly they fit the 350Z also.

I don't mind 'paying to play' but I keep a close eye on HP to $$ and unless the gains are very impressive it won't be a consideration for me. If you had to stay N/A then these cams would be much more tempting.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:37 AM

I read the article from the 6/00 issue of SCC and the SE-R camshaft install website. I am 99% certain that the zip tie procedure will not work with the VQ. On the SE-R removing the valve cover exposes the timing chain, cam sprockets, and cam sprockets bolts. On the VQ removing the valve cover does not allow access to the timing chain, cam sprockets, and cam sprocket bolts.

NmexMAX-
The 30 hp gain from the SE-R cam article was in comparsion with a SR20 with 1998 cams. The retuned ECUs did not add that much hp. The biggest gain a ecu gave was 3.3 hp with the comp 68 cams.

Here's a quote about a retuned JWT ECU from the SCC JWT S3 cam review.
"Switching to a JWT ECU tuned to match this cam improved idle quality and throttle tip-in dramatically while eliminating the tendency to stall when cold. Low-end throttle response was noticeably improved and overall the around-town driving experience is no longer compromised with the JWT ECU in place. On the dyno, the power curve is noticeably smoother than without the stock ECU, but power gains are slight-less than two hp. Even without the power gains, the improvement in driveability with the JWT ECU is worthwhile."

The best peak hp gain SCC saw over their setup was 16.4 hp at the wheel. I think this would be a reasonable gain for NA VQ's to see. Maybe more because of the increased displacement or cylinder head design.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:54 AM
SLOW

Q p

I'm sure these cams are more agressive than the 350Zs. Logic tells me that these cams were introduced BECAUSE OF the 350Z. JWT hasn't bothered to release cams for any VQ powered vehicle until now, and I doubt the new altima and Maxima persuaded them to make them now. I think we have the VQ powered 350Z to thank for the sudden availability of cams. Also, since the 350Z is sure to be a popular performance vehicle, I wouldn't be surprised if other camshaft companies start working on cams for the VQ as well.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:32 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Q p

see, its just like the mid/late 80's early 90's all over again....the VG powered 300zx and its interchangability(including about 5 various cam tyupes) with the VG powered 87-94 Maximas. maybe now the VQ will get some SERIOUS aftermarket goodies thanks to the Z....time will tell!! rebirth of the 4DSC....

Originally posted by Nealoc187
I think we have the VQ powered 350Z to thank for the sudden availability of cams. Also, since the 350Z is sure to be a popular performance vehicle, I wouldn't be surprised if other camshaft companies start working on cams for the VQ as well.
Old 07-19-2002, 03:58 PM

FYI guys and girls the 350Z cams are the same as the maxima's cams. DAVEB ran the part #'s on the motors and all the internals are indentical.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by emax95
FYI guys and girls the 350Z cams are the same as the maxima's cams. DAVEB ran the part #'s on the motors and all the internals are indentical.
You mean a car mag had incorrect information, I find that hard to belive

There goes my other idea - with hotter cams available for the 350Z I am sure you could pick up a set of their cams cheap. But of course install is 1/2 the cost and now we find out they are the same anyway.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:09 PM

Z to VG!?

see, its just like the mid/late 80's early 90's all over again....the VG powered 300zx and its interchangability(including about 5 various cam tyupes) with the VG powered 87-94 Maximas.
WHAT!?!

You have any links to those writeups (NOT on the .org, I'm already searching)?
Old 07-19-2002, 05:39 PM

You mean a car mag had incorrect information, I find that hard to belive

I forgot, car mags are always right.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by emax95

I forgot, car mags are always right.
If it's in print, it's 100% for sure!

Old 08-02-2002, 07:28 AM

any update on specs, performance or price yet?

Quick Reply: Info on new billet cams