General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

infiniti releases skyline in US

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 10:29 AM

This is pure humour!!!

People would laugh if Porsche dropped a V8 in their car - like the 928? That's one of the baddest sounding cars I have ever heard, when tuned right. There is a company called Devek here that tunes them, and I used to work right near their shop...

Anyway, Nissan already has crazy V8's they use in racing - why not use the same technology on the street (toned down of course). Also, an aluminum V8 would be a definite weight advantage over an iron I6 - besides the obvious weight savings, the shorter V8 design brings the ability to have the weight behind the front wheels - thus improving weight dist and balance.

So if Nissan builds anything but another RB TT I6 it's not a *real* engine? Come on. If it's fast and performs well, and honestly engineered - what's the problem?? A high-winding DOHC V8 would sound crazy. Nobody *****ed when Ferrari brought out the F355 w/ a 3.5L V8! That thing sounds wicked @ 8500rpm. Like a shrieking banshee or something.

It's pretty funny to see people get all worked up about what Nissan *should* or *might* do. Just wait and see. Like you would buy one anyway, I6 or V8.

-Jacob
Old 12-12-2000, 10:44 AM

Re: This is pure humour!!!

Jacob! You dork! I said 911. Not porsche in general. Where is the 928 now? Where is the 911 now? Isn't it obvious which one of these cars is still at the top? What would happen if Porsche changed the engine in the 911? I think a BUNCH of people will be pissed. Don't you think?

Also.. You are using too much logic again.. Yes Infinity has some awesome V8 racing engines. And I don't think infinity is smart enough to figure that out.. I think infinity will use this cool technology in THEIR -racing- version of the car, that isn't for sale.. But probably not for the version YOU buy...

It's funny you say this.. About us talking about what Nissan should or might do etc... Because that isn't what I'm doing at all.. It's the people who are defending the V8 that are doing this... Since when has nissan actually improved on a car that they brang over to the US? huh? All I see is a bunch of de-tuned versions... You think this is all going to change some how? I hope it does, but we will see...

Also.. Isn't this awesome 355 the same car that gets stomped by the new 911 turbo in all of the mags? I think the 911 beat it in uhm..... oh that's right.. every catagory!!

Originally posted by jacob
People would laugh if Porsche dropped a V8 in their car - like the 928? That's one of the baddest sounding cars I have ever heard, when tuned right. There is a company called Devek here that tunes them, and I used to work right near their shop...

Anyway, Nissan already has crazy V8's they use in racing - why not use the same technology on the street (toned down of course). Also, an aluminum V8 would be a definite weight advantage over an iron I6 - besides the obvious weight savings, the shorter V8 design brings the ability to have the weight behind the front wheels - thus improving weight dist and balance.

So if Nissan builds anything but another RB TT I6 it's not a *real* engine? Come on. If it's fast and performs well, and honestly engineered - what's the problem?? A high-winding DOHC V8 would sound crazy. Nobody *****ed when Ferrari brought out the F355 w/ a 3.5L V8! That thing sounds wicked @ 8500rpm. Like a shrieking banshee or something.

It's pretty funny to see people get all worked up about what Nissan *should* or *might* do. Just wait and see. Like you would buy one anyway, I6 or V8.

-Jacob
[Edited by PeelBoy on 12-12-2000 at 12:51 PM]
Old 12-12-2000, 11:02 AM

Re: Re: This is pure humour!!!

I'm not saying I'm right and everybody else is wrong lol..

I know that isn't true..

I agree with all of the strong points of having a V8..

I think if Infinity could pull it off.. It would be great..

But that is saying a lot..

They need to reduce weight, increase handling, make sure to use a lot of their racing technology/background, keep the good styling, keep the price down, don't add too much fluff, don't change the things that made this car popular in the first place (oh wait, that would be the engine, mostly.. Wouldn't it?), keep the all wheel drive, and all of the cool technology.. etc..

That's asking a lot from Infinity/Nissan USA..

It will be a completely different car when they are done. Most of the stuff that made it popular in the first place will be gone.. In time it might end up being a better car, but I dunno.. If infinity does everything right yes.. otherwise.. no..

Plus.. I really Like the I6.. I really like Turbo's.. V8's are cool and all.. But it's not really that big of a deal.

Plus.. Wouldn't an Iron I6 block be a lot stronger than an Alum. V8? Hmmm.. Can't the iron block take a lot more heat, and punishment?

Is the Infinity racing V8 alum?
Old 12-12-2000, 11:02 AM

It pretty much comes down to this...

Do you really want a Skyline here or not? Seriously...

The reason we haven't received the Skyline here(other than lack of demand, which isn't an issue anymore) is that the RHD conversion was too difficult with the I6. So by changing to the V8, we actually have a chance at getting it. Think of it as a "V8 or nothing" situation. I'll gladly take a V8 Skyline instead of sitting on my bum wishing it was offered here.
And the normally aspirated V10 Porsche makes around 450hp, I believe. That is more than the 911tt, which makes 420. And then there is still the potential of adding tts to the V10! And comparing the 911tt to an F355 is apples and oranges. One is NA, rwd, the other is turbo'd with awd.

Infiniti has learned quite a bit with their racing V8, and may already offer some of that technology in the Q45 V8. The first Q45 only offered around 270-280hp. That was before they entered the CART series. The new one has the same displacement, and makes 340. I think they might know what they're doing...a little.
Old 12-12-2000, 11:06 AM

Re: Re: This is pure humour!!!

Originally posted by PeelBoy
Jacob! You dork! I said 911. Not porsche in general. Where is the 928 now? Where is the 911 now? Isn't it obvious which one of these cars is still at the top? What would happen if Porsche changed the engine in the 911? I think a BUNCH of people will be pissed. Don't you think?

Also.. Isn't this awesome 355 the same car that gets stomped by the new 911 turbo in all of the mags? I think the 911 beat it in uhm..... oh that's right.. every catagory!!
Heh... Thanks for the mature response. They DID change the engine in the 911 if you want to get picky about it. No one complained because the new one is much better and kicks *** all over the place. Well, lots of people complained but you couldn't hear them over the people praising the car.

What's to say about where cars go. The 928 was an amazing GT car, but it was expensive and considered ugly by many, so it's gone. But people still buy Vipers and Beetles. That argument has no ground to stand on. You can't use the public to judge whether or not a car is great.

The new 911 turbo is an amazing car (so I have read). Because it outperforms the f355 does not make it any better. I don't particularly like the f355, but the engine is awesome (if you want to talk about a 550, well that's something to talk about). You can take the amount you would pay in SALES TAX on a 911 and spend that on an F-body or a C5 and make it kick the 911 turbo all over the place - but that doesn't make it better (that, by the way, is a fact). People buy a Ferrari because it's a Ferrari. A Porsche because it's a Porsche, and so on. There will always be a better car so it's silly to buy one because it's "the best" or "the fastest."

I suggest that you learn how to tell the difference between your opinion and fact. It will make your life easier.

In the meantime, let Nissan do what Nissan will do. It's a damn shame we don't get the cool cars everyone else gets. I leased a WRX STi-IV in the UK for three weeks and that was amazing. It would sell like crazy here too, I bet. So would the UK 200SX (silvia w/ SR20DET). A V8 would be cool. An RB30DETT would be cool too. Who knows.

-Jacob

Old 12-12-2000, 11:11 AM

Re: It pretty much comes down to this...

Originally posted by Black VQ
The reason we haven't received the Skyline here(other than lack of demand, which isn't an issue anymore) is that the RHD conversion was too difficult with the I6.
Actually, impossible - the turbos sit right where the steering shaft would need to go. It would be impossible to put a steering system over there without lots of u-joints and maybe a gearbox, and that would bring the potential for very loose steering. Nissan is very against loose steering - supposedly why the Z32 never had a tilt wheel.

I peeked under the hood of an R33 GTR - it's a mess under there.

-Jacob
Old 12-12-2000, 11:20 AM

Re: Re: It pretty much comes down to this...

]It would be impossible to put a steering system over there without lots of u-joints and maybe a gearbox, and that would bring the potential for very loose steering.
I peeked under the hood of an R33 GTR - it's a mess under there.
-Jacob
So that would make the RHD conversion, um...very difficult, right?
Old 12-12-2000, 11:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: It pretty much comes down to this...

So that would make the RHD conversion, um...very difficult, right? [/I]
If it makes you feel better, sure. There is a difference between impossible and difficult though. I wasn't trying to be a jerk.

-Jacob
Old 12-12-2000, 11:29 AM

Re: It pretty much comes down to this...

So what you are saying is that stock for stock the 911TT almost has as much HP as their V10 engine? That seems to be the trend now that I think about it.. Shoot.. Even the N/A 911 has what? over 300hp right? The turbo's only add maybe 100hp or less. That is pretty good for an engine that is almost half the size. The technology on that V10 just isn't there yet....

I have no doubt that infinity knows what it's doing..

That isn't what bothers me..

It's the fact that they are interested in what sells, not performance.. Which means if they can sell a 340 hp V8 skyline.. then why make it 400+hp?

Americans who buy infinity don't want neat digital tach and what not.. they want a GPS... etc etc.. those are just lame examples, but you get my picture..

It's not what infinity CAN do.. It's what they WILL do that worries me..

I've been reading up on Nissan a lot.. keeping up with the forums at freshalloy.com etc.... It looks to me like all of the cool technology they have in Japan will NOT be showing up here..

Just don't get your hopes up tooooo much.

Besides, in 2 or 3 years.. 400hp is going to be like.. the baseline standard in a sports car I bet. Even the N/A I6, M3 almost has that much. If Infinity only gets 400hp out of their V8 I'm going to seriously be laughing at them.

I don't even want infinity to bring the skyline to the US, unless they plan on making keeping it a bad-***-sports-car like it is now... If they flop on this one I will lose all respect for Nissan. Skyline is one of the few reasons that other sports car lovers even SHOW a little amount of respect for Nissan... It NEEDS to keep it's good name..

Do you really want a Skyline here or not? Seriously...

The reason we haven't received the Skyline here(other than lack of demand, which isn't an issue anymore) is that the RHD conversion was too difficult with the I6. So by changing to the V8, we actually have a chance at getting it. Think of it as a "V8 or nothing" situation. I'll gladly take a V8 Skyline instead of sitting on my bum wishing it was offered here.
And the normally aspirated V10 Porsche makes around 450hp, I believe. That is more than the 911tt, which makes 420. And then there is still the potential of adding tts to the V10! And comparing the 911tt to an F355 is apples and oranges. One is NA, rwd, the other is turbo'd with awd.

Infiniti has learned quite a bit with their racing V8, and may already offer some of that technology in the Q45 V8. The first Q45 only offered around 270-280hp. That was before they entered the CART series. The new one has the same displacement, and makes 340. I think they might know what they're doing...a little.
Old 12-12-2000, 11:37 AM

So what you are saying is that stock for stock the 911TT almost has as much HP as their V10 engine? That seems to be the trend now that I think about it.. Shoot.. Even the N/A 911 has what? over 300hp right? The turbo's only add maybe 100hp or less. That is pretty good for an engine that is almost half the size. The technology on that V10 just isn't there yet....
right and wrong.
you are right about what you said, but it's wrong cuz it based on the wrong info you got from black vq.
the V19 porsche, has 550hp, not 450.
Old 12-12-2000, 11:38 AM

Americans who buy infinity don't want neat digital tach and what not.. they want a GPS... etc etc.. those are just lame examples, but you get my picture..
Not trying to nitpick or anything, but the R34 Skyline already comes with GPS. You can get rid of it however, and get the cool engine meter thingy that keeps track of exhaust temps, boost levels, etc with all kinds of neat graphs, charts, and stuff. But you still have the screen there, so it's either one.

And I was just messin' with ya, Jacob. You said it was impossible, then you said it was impossible unless, and listed a bunch of hard stuff you'd have to do. Sorry.
Old 12-12-2000, 11:42 AM

It's the fact that they are interested in what sells, not performance.. Which means if they can sell a 340 hp V8 skyline.. then why make it 400+hp?

One reason that I have heard is this: Not everyone WANTS that much power (if you can believe that) so they can make the car and sell it with a much lower price and let the aftermarket take up the slack. It's pretty expensive to make a 100+bhp/litre engine - so I kind of agree with that, though it would be cool to have the stock car be a world beater. I definitely see your point. I ask the same questions about lots of cars like Toyota's MR2 Spyder - that could be a crazy high-performance car with a better engine. Why not at least have it be an option?? Why not have a super Sentra with the GTi-R's engine and drivetrain? For all the reasons you mentioned. Look at the 240SX - awesome chassis with a truck engine. It just doesn't make sense.

America has always provided a different market than the rest of the world. I believe the biggest reason is the same reason there are so many terrible drivers here - people just don't care. And it pisses me off that these apathetic people take things like the Supra and Z31 away from us. I love throwing on a set of wheels or new springs and spending the day driving just to notice the differences. Most people don't know (and don't care) that pistons don't spin.

-Jacob
Old 12-12-2000, 11:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: This is pure humour!!!

1) As if your post makes you sound like such an angle.

2) They didn't change the engine from an 6 to a V8, did they? in the 911? Hmm.. If they DO change the engine again.. They better make sure it is a MUCH better engine, and guess what? Porsche WILL make sure it's a MUCH better engine.. Will infinity? Dunno.. Probably not..

3) Right.. 928 was a nice car. It sure was ugly. I would take a 911 any day over it.

4) I got that info out of a magazine. The porsche won in almost every catagory. Handling.. Speed. All of it. That wasn't MY quote. That wasn't MY opinion. You used the 355 to show how awesome a V8 could be. I used that come back to show it that it really isn't that much more awesome than a 6. The good thing about a V8 is what you can do with it using after market stuff.. Stock V8's don't usually have that much more power than a well tuned I6. In most cases they have LESS!

7) F-Body kicking the hell out of a Porsche? Where? Drag Strip.. Oh yay! I can't wait! whooopeeeee.

8) Why don't you learn what my opinions are before you say something stupid like that. I agree with a lot of things you and others have said so far, but you ignore that and attack the things I don't agree with. Is your opinion all of a suden better than mine or something?

9) So, every day I get to hear people ***** about Nissan and how they give us the shaft in the US, but now you think they are perfect souls because you -think- they might drop a V8 in the skyline and bring it here? You think they will pull it off and the world will be happy? I will believe it when I see it. Nissan USA has a lot to prove in this respect.

Heh... Thanks for the mature response. They DID change the engine in the 911 if you want to get picky about it. No one complained because the new one is much better and kicks *** all over the place. Well, lots of people complained but you couldn't hear them over the people praising the car.

What's to say about where cars go. The 928 was an amazing GT car, but it was expensive and considered ugly by many, so it's gone. But people still buy Vipers and Beetles. That argument has no ground to stand on. You can't use the public to judge whether or not a car is great.

The new 911 turbo is an amazing car (so I have read). Because it outperforms the f355 does not make it any better. I don't particularly like the f355, but the engine is awesome (if you want to talk about a 550, well that's something to talk about). You can take the amount you would pay in SALES TAX on a 911 and spend that on an F-body or a C5 and make it kick the 911 turbo all over the place - but that doesn't make it better (that, by the way, is a fact). People buy a Ferrari because it's a Ferrari. A Porsche because it's a Porsche, and so on. There will always be a better car so it's silly to buy one because it's "the best" or "the fastest."

I suggest that you learn how to tell the difference between your opinion and fact. It will make your life easier.

In the meantime, let Nissan do what Nissan will do. It's a damn shame we don't get the cool cars everyone else gets. I leased a WRX STi-IV in the UK for three weeks and that was amazing. It would sell like crazy here too, I bet. So would the UK 200SX (silvia w/ SR20DET). A V8 would be cool. An RB30DETT would be cool too. Who knows.

-Jacob

[/I]
Old 12-12-2000, 11:51 AM

My bad. You're right. Still not that big of a difference though. I can see BMW milking 400+ hp from their N/A I6 engine.. They just spend so much more time and money and adding cool technology..

Maybe if somebody took a V8 and actually DID something cool with it.. But nobody does.. They say.. "Oh.. It already has more HP un-tuned than a tuned I6.. Let's just leave it!!" or something? I dunno... But if they tuned the hell out of it.. That would be way cool... But nobody seems to do that.
and I don't think Infinity will start the trend..

Maybe Honda or Toyota.

Originally posted by WoodEar
right and wrong.
you are right about what you said, but it's wrong cuz it based on the wrong info you got from black vq.
the V19 porsche, has 550hp, not 450.
Old 12-12-2000, 11:53 AM

Yeah, but wait until infinity gets their hands on it.. They will replace the cool **** with an analog clock.. just wait!!!!!

I was just using that stuff as an example..

I bet infinity will add 500-1000lbs in weight.. Just by adding crap that we don't even want in a sports car lol..

Not trying to nitpick or anything, but the R34 Skyline already comes with GPS. You can get rid of it however, and get the cool engine meter thingy that keeps track of exhaust temps, boost levels, etc with all kinds of neat graphs, charts, and stuff. But you still have the screen there, so it's either one.

And I was just messin' with ya, Jacob. You said it was impossible, then you said it was impossible unless, and listed a bunch of hard stuff you'd have to do. Sorry.
Old 12-12-2000, 11:57 AM

My MAIN problem with this is....

Infinity just doesn't seem like they have much trust in the US market..

I can -HONESTLY- see them taking the skyline and turning it into something it's NOT.. Just because they think it's what the US market wants.... That is just how Nissan USA thinks.. Don't ask me why..

If they could do this, and do it right.. Then I would be happy.. But I just don't see it happening..

One reason that I have heard is this: Not everyone WANTS that much power (if you can believe that) so they can make the car and sell it with a much lower price and let the aftermarket take up the slack. It's pretty expensive to make a 100+bhp/litre engine - so I kind of agree with that, though it would be cool to have the stock car be a world beater. I definitely see your point. I ask the same questions about lots of cars like Toyota's MR2 Spyder - that could be a crazy high-performance car with a better engine. Why not at least have it be an option?? Why not have a super Sentra with the GTi-R's engine and drivetrain? For all the reasons you mentioned. Look at the 240SX - awesome chassis with a truck engine. It just doesn't make sense.

America has always provided a different market than the rest of the world. I believe the biggest reason is the same reason there are so many terrible drivers here - people just don't care. And it pisses me off that these apathetic people take things like the Supra and Z31 away from us. I love throwing on a set of wheels or new springs and spending the day driving just to notice the differences. Most people don't know (and don't care) that pistons don't spin.

-Jacob
Old 12-12-2000, 12:01 PM

people take things like the Supra and Z31 away from us.
DOH! Meant to say Z32. Meaning TT 300ZX. OOPS.

Black VQ - no probs. I sort of fumbled my point - I meant to give a method it could be done, but to Nissan this method is considered "impossible."

-Jacob
Old 12-12-2000, 12:14 PM
I'm needing a caw

NE1 notice that Toyota's Supra TT engines make 300 rwhp? And BPU takes it to 350-375 rwhp? And 450hp on a Supra inline 6 is child's play relatively?? 500-650hp on stock internals using a single turbo is not that hard. Actually eaiser than a V6 TT. To get an ie.. V8 w/ a stock 450hp to make 650hp is very hard. On a na motor you have to completely disassemble the engine and rework EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE ECU. Think about how the Mercedes tuners get mega hp out of their V8s. Complete rebuild from the ground up. AND ABOUT $10-$20K cost. Just give me an inline 6 TT or single turbo in a AWD or RWD platform. Make sure it looks decent. I'll do the freakin' rest!!
Old 12-12-2000, 12:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: It pretty much comes down to this...

Here's a few things on my mind. Not sure if it's fact or fiction..

Owning my max for the past 3 years+ has made me realise a lot..
1) Nissan USA sucks some times.. or most of the time.
2) There has to be demand, in order to get mods..

I'm thinking.. If Infinity brings the Skyline here, puts a V8 in it and charges ~60-80k for it.. Will peole even buy it?!?!?! You can get a 911 for 80k.. Sure it will have 80 less hp or so.. But who cares? It's a freakin PORSCHE! Same thing applies to the M3..

If people don't buy it.. How are we ever going to get mods for it? With out the mods, how is it going to get the same following that it has in japan?

There seems to be a big trend around Turbo's.. Most turbo cars out have a huge following and lots of mods... That isn't always True about V8's, but it seems to always be true about Turbo's...

The V8's that seem to do well and have a lot of mods are the same V8's that have been around for AGES.. The ones in F-bodies etc.. These cars are cheap, have a crap load of mods, and have always had the go fast image (which brings the mods)..

I dunno.. I could type about this forever.. but you get my point.. Maybe if infinity made a turbo V8 for the skyline, now that would be cool. but I doubt it will happen..

people take things like the Supra and Z31 away from us.
DOH! Meant to say Z32. Meaning TT 300ZX. OOPS.

Black VQ - no probs. I sort of fumbled my point - I meant to give a method it could be done, but to Nissan this method is considered "impossible."

-Jacob
Old 12-12-2000, 12:24 PM

Exactly!!

And Turbo cars pretty much instantly have mods. BOV, Boost controler, Full exhaust, upgraded turbo..

With an N/A car you have to -hope- there is a huge following just so you can get some good mods that make power, and then it's still a pain.. And if you don't get that huge following? You're SOL.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
NE1 notice that Toyota's Supra TT engines make 300 rwhp? And BPU takes it to 350-375 rwhp? And 450hp on a Supra inline 6 is child's play relatively?? 500-650hp on stock internals using a single turbo is not that hard. Actually eaiser than a V6 TT. To get an ie.. V8 w/ a stock 450hp to make 650hp is very hard. On a na motor you have to completely disassemble the engine and rework EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE ECU. Think about how the Mercedes tuners get mega hp out of their V8s. Complete rebuild from the ground up. AND ABOUT $10-$20K cost. Just give me an inline 6 TT or single turbo in a AWD or RWD platform. Make sure it looks decent. I'll do the freakin' rest!!
Old 12-12-2000, 12:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: This is pure humour!!!

1) As if your post makes you sound like such an angle.

2) They didn't change the engine from an 6 to a V8, did they? in the 911? Hmm.. If they DO change the engine again.. They better make sure it is a MUCH better engine, and guess what? Porsche WILL make sure it's a MUCH better engine.. Will infinity? Dunno.. Probably not..

3) Right.. 928 was a nice car. It sure was ugly. I would take a 911 any day over it.

4) I got that info out of a magazine. The porsche won in almost every catagory. Handling.. Speed. All of it. That wasn't MY quote. That wasn't MY opinion. You used the 355 to show how awesome a V8 could be. I used that come back to show it that it really isn't that much more awesome than a 6. The good thing about a V8 is what you can do with it using after market stuff.. Stock V8's don't usually have that much more power than a well tuned I6. In most cases they have LESS!

7) F-Body kicking the hell out of a Porsche? Where? Drag Strip.. Oh yay! I can't wait! whooopeeeee.

8) Why don't you learn what my opinions are before you say something stupid like that. I agree with a lot of things you and others have said so far, but you ignore that and attack the things I don't agree with. Is your opinion all of a suden better than mine or something?

9) So, every day I get to hear people ***** about Nissan and how they give us the shaft in the US, but now you think they are perfect souls because you -think- they might drop a V8 in the skyline and bring it here? You think they will pull it off and the world will be happy? I will believe it when I see it. Nissan USA has a lot to prove in this respect.

1. An angle?

2. Except for being a flat-6, the engine has nothing in common with other Porsche engines - including the 993 Turbo. It isn't even air-cooled anymore.

3. Yes the 928 is a nice car (later ones anyway - like 90's). Yes, I'm sure you would take a 911 - it's vastly more popular and you probably know nothing about the 928. Good choice.

4. The 355's V8 IS an awesome V8 - because you don't know or believe this does not change anything. You are comparing two cars - the Porsche has a LARGER twinturbo engine and AWD and you are comparing it to the Ferrari? Please. That doesn't make sense now does it. BTW - what makes a V8 have any better aftermarket presence just because it's a V8? What can you get at all for the f355's V8? Good info there...

7. (following your retarded numbering) Not that this even warrants a response - ever heard of Lingenfelter? Probably not. The LPE Corvette puts the Porsche and any Ferrari to shame. This, however, does not make it better than the Porsches and Ferraris in my opinion. This is all I was saying.

8. My opinion is NOT better than anyone elses. Your opinion is worth what I paid for it. You come off as this all-knowing person when most of your "facts" are simply based on opinion combined with wild speculation. You make too many assumptions; ignorance and Arrogance are a bad combination.

9. This one makes no sense whatsoever and I don't even want to bother responding. I didn't say anything about that.

I'm done with this. Discussions are fun, but arguing over nothing is pointless. If you are convinced you already know it all, you can't learn anything. You state all these "facts" that are really laughable.

Enjoy the Ride.

-Jacob
Old 12-12-2000, 12:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: It pretty much comes down to this...

If it makes you feel better, sure. There is a difference between impossible and difficult though. I wasn't trying to be a jerk.

-Jacob
Isn't the redesign so that the RHD LHD swap will be easier?
Old 12-12-2000, 01:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is pure humour!!!

WTF Are you talking about?!?!

You sure do assume a lot don't you?

1) Typo. SORRY. It happens to all of us. Live with it.

2) I know what you can do with a 928. I know it's a nice car. I know you can mod the hell out of it. And I know I would take a 911 any way. Not because it is more popular. Not because I am an idiot. Just because I -like- the 911 better. Period. And I honestly don't give a **** if you think that is a bad decision. It's not your decision to make.

3) Ohhhh going from air-cooled to liquid cooled.. Yep.. That is just as big of a change as going from a Twin Turbo flat-6 to a N/A V8+.. Ohhhhhhhh yeah........ pfft. Most engines go through those kinds of changes over time. Big deal. That still wasn't my point.

4) Who said the 355's V8 WASN'T NICE?!?!?! I never did.. I would DIE for that car. You think I am stupid?!?! Can your brain not figure out what I am trying to get at here? Do you have to take everything I say literally? I'm just trying to point out that V8 is NOT always a better choice.. That's IT.. I'm not saying V8's SUCK! I'm just saying they aren't always the best choice. In the case of the skyline.. It might be the -only- choice if we want them in the US.. But does that mean it's the best choice?!? Not by far!!!
As far as after market stuff for a V8? I never said it doesn't exist.. I am just pointing out that it is a LOT easier to get after market stuff for a TURBO car than an N/A car IN MOST SITUATIONS.... You can take just about any Turbo car and mod it right off the bat. That isn't always true with a N/A car. Think about it. Think of all the turbo cars you can. They get mods so quick. It's so easy to pop a new turbo on. With an N/A car it takes some time.. Somebody has to make parts for it.. It's not always as easy. And if the engine is technologically advanced? I'm sure it will be a lot harder.. Kinda like the Max.. Can't just drop a mod on and go.. You have to take too much crap into consideration.

8) I came off as an all-knowing person? That is just your opinion. I have already admitted in several posts that you are right about a lot of this.. Have you? Hardly. I am quick to admit when I am wrong about something. But this is beyond that. You're basically calling me an idiot based on bad assumptions that you have made just because I don't agree with your opinions. That pisses me off.

9) I never said anything about having all the facts. Maybe if you had half a brain cell you could figure out the meaning of things I say instead of just taking them as they are with out looking any deeper.
Old 12-12-2000, 01:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It pretty much comes down to this...

Yes. Which makes sense. I can understand them wanting to use a V8 in that case.

Originally posted by Lordrandall

-Jacob
Isn't the redesign so that the RHD LHD swap will be easier?
Old 12-12-2000, 01:42 PM

Jacob.

Look. Take back every thing I said before.

I do not disagree with you in any way.

I am sure you are a cool person. I am sure you know what you are talking about. Don't think bad things about me just because something I say might come across wrong. It seems as though you are taking the wrong meaning to some of the things I say. I can't help it if every thing comes across wrong over the internet. It's not like you can hear my voice or read my body movements or anything.

There is truth to what you say, and there is truth to what I say. That doesn't mean either of us are right or wrong.

I personally like I6's and Turbo's a lot. I still like V8's and in some cases I would much rather have a V8 or larger engine, but over all I think I would get more joy out of a smaller engine with a turbo.

THAT is just my opinion. Take it or leave it. I know I'm not alone.
Old 12-12-2000, 02:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know if anyone posted this yet, I didn't read all the posts; too long. Whether, or not the Skyline is coming to the U.S., how many of us can actually afford it? I sure can't. I would imagine the Skylines would be about $50 and higher? That's a lot of money. I know that some of you here are loaded, so that shouldn't trouble you. Just want to say like many of you, I would love to get a Skyline, but have to realize that it's only a dream.
Old 12-12-2000, 02:08 PM

Very true - and great that you joined the conversation. We are both voicing our opinions.

But - I doubt I will ever take the time to read a post of yours again simply because of your attitude and behaviour. I'm sure this doesn't matter to you anyway, but hey - I'm bored.

Just a note though - as far as I am concerned, you have no idea what you are talking about, in general. Maybe you have some good points but they get lost in your angry ignorant ramblings.

Most engines go through those kinds of changes over time??
Not that it matters, but the Porsche engine is probably the *only* engine in history to change so drastically. They didn't just change the method of cooling, which is a huge change in itself. The engine has nothing in common, except for the layout, with it's predecessors.

You have even contradicted yourself a few times, in an effort to make your point I guess.

See, I would probably enjoy talking to you. I love cars - not any specific car, though I do have favourites. I am a car enthusiast and I have learned all I know from driving, reading, crawling under cars, working in shops, etc. I know what I know, and I know enough that reading what you have typed really doesn't bother me any further than hoping no one else really takes you seriously (for their own sake).

Don't take stuff back - just don't say it in the first place. There's no reason whatsoever to get so angry and worked up about something like this to post personal putdowns on a public board. If you're going to do that, send me an email - I doubt (though you are "not alone") anyone even gives half a **** at this point.

Happy trails.

-Jacob
Old 12-12-2000, 02:21 PM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

Re: Maybe we can get a GROUP BUY!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Victim64
Hahahaha
Yes get the group buy on!!!! haha

Jules
Old 12-12-2000, 04:18 PM

Re: Jacob.

I personally like I6's and Turbo's a lot. I still like V8's and in some cases I would much rather have a V8 or larger engine, but over all I think I would get more joy out of a smaller engine with a turbo.
That's why we're saying this V8 will be good, Peel. Not only does the V8 make more power stock-for-stock, but when you add a turbo system, even more gains will be realized. And guess what? You'll have both the things you like: A larger engine with a turbo.

Yes Lordy, you're right: The V8 is there to facilitate the LHD conversion. If Nissan does not offer another powerplant, we will miss out on the R35 chassis as well. And then no one(including Peel) will be happy.
Old 12-12-2000, 04:23 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

ye'all are just afraid of change. im confident that nissan can make a v8 (tt hopefully) that will blow us all away in stock power and tunability.
Old 12-12-2000, 04:31 PM

Viper is not a POS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeelBoy
I agree with EMPZ.. You don't really even need 1000hp from a car you are going to do GT racing with, and who gives a flying **** about drag racing?!??![QUOTE]

You're right, you don't need a 1000hp car. Handling makes a big difference in racing, but engine power makes a big difference too. A V8 will have more power at hand. It's all about choosing the right setup for the perfect balance or character of the car. The 911 is very well balanced in handling, speed, etc. The Viper is setup more for speed.

Besides.. M3 and 911 don't need V8's to be fast as hell do they? And I would sure as hell drive a 911TT before I drive a POS Viper!!!!! I don't care -WHAT- mods they have.. I will still take a 911 ANY DAY!!

Please don't call any car a POS unless it is. A Viper is *NOT* a POS. If it is, then why did the Viper dominate the GT2 class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and American Le Mans? The Viper won the GT2 class for about 3 years in a row ever since it entered and stole Porsche's reign. I will admit that the Porsche 911 Turbo is a better balanced car than the Viper. Choosing any car is a matter of personal preference.

Besides, it's much more fun to beat some Rustang V8 in your I6 than your V8.

It's only fun if they are equally modded. You can't compare a modded I6 to an unmodded V8.
Old 12-12-2000, 07:04 PM

Jacob..

You are smoking some serious crack my man..

My attitude and my behaviour? Was far less harsh than yours. Who did all of the name calling? I would call that seriously immature. If I did any, it was very little and I am sorry for it..

I've tried to settle this multiple times. With no luck because you refuse to quit being an ***.

I admited being wrong to some of your arguments..

You refuse to..

Personally I could give a flying **** if you quit reading my posts, or fall off the face of the planet all together.. It's really not my loss. It's actually more of a gain the more I think about it.

As far as you are concerned I have no idea what I am talking about? Well I'm sorry, but that just proves how STUPID you are. And then you say "in general" ? Uhhh.. Let's talk about programing and see who knows more.

So you might know a LITTLE more about the history of SOME cars than me? Big ****ing deal. And that makes me an idiot?
Go figure.

Look at just about any damn car.. All of thtem go through changes over time. How many engines has the Maxima had?

Yeah, the Porsche 911 engine changed a lot over time. But -most- people probably don't give a **** about those changes. Putting a 400hp V8 in a Porsche 911 and replacing the Turbo version with it would be a MAJOR change for the image of that car. It might be for the better, but it's STILL going to be a head turner. Much more of a head turner than switching from air cooled to water cooled in MOST peoples eyes.

>You have even contradicted yourself a few times, in an >effort to make your point I guess.

And you haven't? I have to reword stuff some times so you understand it better because you take it littlerally instead of looking at the meaning of what I say.. There for it looks like I'm contraditing my self when I'm not (always).

I love cars also. But they are not my life. I don't live, eat, sleep, breath cars. I don't study them all the damn time. I subscribe to a few car mags. Read a few forums. Read technical **** here and there, hang out with my friends who DO know a lot about cars (more so than you or I ever will), install my own mods, and play with other peoples cars some times.. etc.. I don't think I am an expert.. Not even close. And I don't think you are one either.

Nothing I have wrote is wrong (Unless you take it so damn seriously like you do) It's mostly opinions.. It's not like I said "Oh, those damn V8's.. No good.. Nope.. No V8 ever did good.. Theres no mod for the stupid things.. I6's rule the world.."

I mean.. If I said that, then yes.. you could ***** slap me because I would be a complete idiot..

What I said is more along the lines of "I like smaller engines, and I like turbo's, and a car isn't required to have a V8 in order to be an awesome sports car with lots of go-fast mods"

The problem is, I used a lot of examples on WHY I have that opinion.. And you take them all seriously. Just because I use something as an example doesn't mean it refelects on how I really feel about the subject.

Don't take stuff back? I tried to make things better between us, but you are very stubborn. You probably don't have many friends. Did I get so angry? You started calling me names, of course I got angry. You take things too seriously. I use something as an example, and you think I am being serious. Well I'M NOT.. I'm just trying to show you my point, but you completly miss the point and just look at the exact words I say and try to take them seriously. (I have to make a big deal about that because it's STILL annoying the hell out of me).

If you go back and read you will see that the only thing I was really trying to say is that I don't have enough faith in Infinity to to keep the bad-*** image and appeal of the skyline if they bring it to the US. Nissan USA has a history of doing that kinda thing, you know?

But you some how turn that around into me being some kind of Anti-V8 pschyo idiot. (which of course, isn't true at all)

And once again.. Read back and see who posted the first put downs.. I only posted them in retaliation.
Old 12-12-2000, 08:02 PM

And once again.. Read back and see who posted the first put downs.. I only posted them in retaliation.
Well, I did read back. I posted a response sort of to yours, but mostly to everyone else. With the V8 and the weight dist thing, I was trying to offer a perspective about how the V8 might actually help things. There was nothing rude or immature at all about my post.

The <i>very next</i> one was you calling me a dork and including your very snappy retort about how the 911 is so much better than the f355 - where you got the idea that I was implying the contrary - I have no idea.

Look - I have nothing against you. I also don't think I'm wrong, but hey - that's my opinion. Please stop making these wild implications about my social life and such. Don't pretend to know me. How about we stop posting in this thread - like I said earlier - if you have more personal putdowns and things for me, email me. Otherwise - just knock it off. I won't look at this thread again.

And that's it for me.

-Jacob
Old 12-12-2000, 08:33 PM
OG :)

Originally posted by MaximaZero
ye'all are just afraid of change. im confident that nissan can make a v8 (tt hopefully) that will blow us all away in stock power and tunability.
agreed!
Old 12-12-2000, 09:36 PM

I guess because Infiniti doesn't really have a sports car model yet.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:42 PM

With all the feed back they get for not having the Skyline in the US already they won't screw it up.
We just have to wait and see. I think IF it comes over for Infinit (which it still might stay as Nissan) they will do a good job.

And Peelboy don't even respond to this because i don't care.
You posted 30+ messages and didn't make a single point other than your afraid of change and don't know what your talking about.
Sorry to be mean but you made an *** of yourself.
Good day.
Old 12-12-2000, 09:43 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Kenneth
Originally posted by MaximaZero
agreed!
great names, ...errr... minds think alike.
Old 12-12-2000, 11:01 PM

And I completely agreed with you.

Those were just random thoughts by me for people to think about. I gave up on it when you told me the V8 they would use was Alum. and the RB was Iron. Now I know. You are right. I was wrong. I bow down to your superiour knowledge about engine weights. What else do you want?

I was joking around when I called you a dork. I wasn't being serious at all. I should have put a smile face in. My bad. If you knew me in person you would understand. Dork is a word I use when I'm joking around. If I wanted to call you names they would be much worse than dork, trust me

The reason I said that? Because you took what I said and twisted it around. I said people would probably get upset if you replaced the 911 Turbo engine with a V8 and then you pointed at the 928.. That's a completely different car.

Old 12-12-2000, 11:16 PM

Well.. Here's my opinion...

I wouldn't mind seeing a V8 in the skyline. If that is what it takes to bring the car to the US. It would also be nice if it really does lower the weight, and even out the ballance of the car. (like jacob said)

But..

How much is infinity going to charge for this thing?

80k?

I hope not. Most people will probably buy a 911 if they
are going to spend that much. 911 might not be as fast, but
it will get you more chicks.

40-50k? Now were talking. I might actually buy one if that is the case.. But what are the odds?

So what if not many people buy the car? Will there be any demand for mods? I mean.. It's not like this engine is going to instantly have all of the same mods as a 350 small block right? There has to be some demand first.

If there isn't a lot of mods.. Whose going to buy the car? I mean.. One of the main strong points of the current skyline is that you can buy one and then give it 700 ponies no problem. If you buy the car and have to leave it stock.. Wouldn't you rather just buy something else? (M5? M3? 911? Supra?) (I'm thinking of a normal person here, not a Nissan freak like us.. We would buy one just because...)

So what if there is a fairly strong following... It'll still probably be a while before there is enough mods to make it even some what close to the TT version of the skyline right?

You could buy an R33 and have a 700+ hp car right this second, or buy a US R35 and wait a year or two.. or longer.. before you will even come close to that.. I dunno.. I will buy the TT version before I buy the V8 version.. But that's just me..

Originally posted by Sith
With all the feed back they get for not having the Skyline in the US already they won't screw it up.
We just have to wait and see. I think IF it comes over for Infinit (which it still might stay as Nissan) they will do a good job.

And Peelboy don't even respond to this because i don't care.
You posted 30+ messages and didn't make a single point other than your afraid of change and don't know what your talking about.
Sorry to be mean but you made an *** of yourself.
Good day.
Old 12-12-2000, 11:22 PM

skyline in the US

I can tell you this if they do bring it, its not going to be the GT-R version. It will probably be the sedan with the RB25DET or the single turbo engine. No it won't have AWD or the RB26DETT because it would cost over $60k for the GT-R Vspec version. In fact there are about 20 different models of skylines in japan. But I can safely say that its not going to have the features of the R34 Skyline GT-R Vspec. But hey its still a skyline right ?

Quick Reply: infiniti releases skyline in US