General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

dealers way of changing coolant good enuf?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 09:30 AM
Johnny

I think what they do is drain the reservoir, undo the lower radiator hose, and then fill it back up with a gallon of coolant and water. Is that ok? What about what was in the block? Anti-freeze is so nasty I prefer not to touch it at all.

How about oil changes, does the VQ take exactly 4 quarts or a little more? I let them do the changes and it comes back in the middle of the range, not topped off.

Going to pop in my reoiled K&N now--dang I don't think it's worth the effort. Can't clean that thing perfectly but I think the tap water flush does get a lot of dirt out.

Old 12-10-2000, 12:10 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

There is a drain plug for the bock as well..

I also had the reservoir coolant drained and the container cleaned too.

The VQ is suppose to only take 4 quarts (and maybe a little more).

With a K&N... use the cleaner too... reusing the filter twice will already pay for itself...
Old 12-10-2000, 12:24 PM

My own way of doing it

I've done this for years with many different cars and it works for me: I disconnect the resevoir hose and drain it and refill with clean water, then drain the radiator at the pet **** and flush water through it for a few minutes, then reconnect the resevoir hose and refill the system with water and run it for a little while. I do this until all that comes out of the radiator is clear water. Then the last step is to add the appropriate amount of coolant. Also, when you do this turn your heater on all the way hot to get the old coolant out of the heater core. I've never been a fan of having a dealer or anyone else do this because I don't think they will get out all of the old coolant. Most service shops I know do things as fast as possible and in my oppinion this is one which should be done thoroughly, not necesarily fast. Not to say that all service shops don't do it correctly, just not been my experience.
Old 12-10-2000, 03:02 PM

Well, if you get drain and refills frequently, like every 15,000 miles then it should be okay. If you wait longer like every 30k, then a flush and refill might be a better idea.

Old 12-10-2000, 03:57 PM

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I flush and refill once a year period. Don't believe in the drain and fill method personally. If you are really an enthusiast about your car why would you mix good with bad. Just like those who don't change their oil filter every oil change. Similar theory don't you think. Drain and fill is probably right for people who pay to have it done.

Just don't let the cat drink the old coolant

That would be "the ugly".