General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

HID vs. high beam ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 02:24 PM
syc

HID vs. high beam ?

I got a question about HID. how's the visibility of those no-high-beam HID compared with the high beam in the max? Sometimes, I need to drive some of those country roads and it's impossible not to use high beam cause it's too dark and afraid of hitting a deer. so, if I change to HID, do I loose the high-beam's visibility????
Old 07-20-2002, 02:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yes, you do lose the visibility of high beams. It's beam PATTERN which really matters in this case...
Old 07-20-2002, 07:54 PM

As brianw said ...

There is no replacement for high beams.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:42 AM
syc

thanks for all reply. I think I'm not gonna get HID afterall (good excuse for saving money). dam, I really wish getting HID for better normal driving visiblity. too bad I need to drive the country and no money getting those high+low beam HID that I heard of.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:54 AM
Very sound, Mike

Well it'll still help. When i drive on pitch black roads what i do is i hold the lever halfway to turn the high beams on while still retaining the HID light.

I've done this several times already, it gets tiring after holding it for more than 15 minutes but i'd rather have more light than tired fingers.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:46 AM

If you can retain your high beams, then HID is decent BUT of course, there's always the glare issue.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:23 AM

Re: HID vs. high beam ?

Originally posted by syc
I got a question about HID. how's the visibility of those no-high-beam HID compared with the high beam in the max? Sometimes, I need to drive some of those country roads and it's impossible not to use high beam cause it's too dark and afraid of hitting a deer. so, if I change to HID, do I loose the high-beam's visibility????
Around town I am very happy with the HID. But when I drive those country roads, I drive alot slower than I usually do. Having hit about 3 deer in my driving life, I hate not having the high beam. If I drove alot in the country I would have never gotten the HID's.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by soundmike
Well it'll still help. When i drive on pitch black roads what i do is i hold the lever halfway to turn the high beams on while still retaining the HID light.

I've done this several times already, it gets tiring after holding it for more than 15 minutes but i'd rather have more light than tired fingers.
That doesnt make any sense... On the 2k2 like yours and mine, when you engage the highbeams, the HIDS will stay on by themselves and the high beams turn on but the fog lights turn off.. You do not need to hold the lever in the flash to pass state (half way)..

ED
Old 07-21-2002, 09:49 AM
Very sound, Mike

my bad, just woke up then

i keep it in that position to keep all the lights on

Originally posted by MiniRX7

That doesnt make any sense... On the 2k2 like yours and mine, when you engage the highbeams, the HIDS will stay on by themselves and the high beams turn on but the fog lights turn off.. You do not need to hold the lever in the flash to pass state (half way)..

ED
Old 07-22-2002, 02:06 AM

screw it, why not have both?
Old 07-22-2002, 02:56 AM

they do have HI LO kits for hid's. however they do come with a hefty price tag. i heard something about the 2k2's where if you turn on the highbeam the HID shut off (pushing the lever forward) however if you are "flashing" the highbeams (pulling the lever back) then the hid's remain on.. is this true?? i heard it's a new law with cars built after a certain date that they are only allowed to have one set of driving lights on at a time thus the reason for the hid's cutting off. i have a 2k with the 2k2 headlights, but i wired everything up so the hid stays on with the high beams. incase you guys wanted to knwo how i did it, i used 2 seperate relays for my high beams. i did a negative ground set up because that's what i prefer when i work with relays. to power up the relay i used the wire from the existing light harness that switches on when the light switch is turned on. one side of the halogen high beam bulb goes straigt to a power source with a 7.5amp fuse in the middle. the other end of the bulb goes to a relay. from the relay two pins go straight to chassis ground. with that done the hid's stay on with the high beams. and this also elimnates the high beam indicator flickering.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

08 MAXIMA HID

Hey guys new owner of a maxima was just wondering im thinking HID. I saw that it has low beams high beams and Fogs. I guess how many ballasts will i need or do i need to buy 3 kits or is 1 sufficient. Oh and where can i find some good bright HID KITS. Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 PM

HID's arent worth it in my opinion. The high beams will always put out a wider angle even though its not as bright. I do mostly country driving so that influences my thoughts.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by tguerra1605
Hey guys new owner of a maxima was just wondering im thinking HID. I saw that it has low beams high beams and Fogs. I guess how many ballasts will i need or do i need to buy 3 kits or is 1 sufficient. Oh and where can i find some good bright HID KITS. Thanks
If you want HID's you should do a retrofit. Simply using HID bulbs will actually make your light output worse, as well as blind other drivers.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by tguerra1605
Originally Posted by Shift_Nismo
If you want HID's you should do a retrofit. Simply using HID bulbs will actually make your light output worse, as well as blind other drivers.
He has an 08...the HID housings are exactly the same as the Halogen housings...just different bulbs. Go ahead and do the swap. For the 08, there is an electronic shutter that moves up/down when you activate the high beams. The high/low beams use the same bulb, so you only need 1 kit. If you want to do the fogs too, then you will need 2 kits.