General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What happens to airbag system when one is removed or light is on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Lightly modded

What happens to airbag system when one is removed or light is on?

I have a Sparco steering wheel on my car and it obviously tripped the airbag light on the dash. My initial thought was to remove the light for the airbag from the gauge cluster so I didn't have to look at it flashing all the time, but then wondered if removing the light would disable the passenger side airbag. I spoke to my mechanic and he said that if the light is illuminated, the entire system doesn't work, so it doesn't matter if I remove the light or not. Then I got to thinking that if my passenger airbag is already disabled, I might as well remove it to save some weight.

I just want to be sure that the other airbag is already disabled before I remove it, does anyone know how the system works? I noticed that the light in the cluster for the airbag is different than the other bulbs as it has two wires coming off of it and there appears to be a mini circuit board in the light assembly. Could I hurt anything by removing the light?

On a side note, does anyone know how to wire up the horn to work on an aftermarket wheel?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Once an airbag goes of and the light is on the system is off from them on, in your case you took the bag out yourself so the system works, but taking the bag out turned it off. Basically how the system works is if there is a problem then it turns off (safety reasons) Ive always wondered if someone knows how to wire up an airbag thats not there (so the system would think it was there and still be armed) I have a gle with bags in the seats and want to remove them. (my systems off too).

Did you unplug the horn wires when you took the wheel off? there should be just one positive (that touches the metal part of the wheel and grounds to close the circuit).
Old 07-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by IslandMax
Once an airbag goes of and the light is on the system is off from them on, in your case you took the bag out yourself so the system works, but taking the bag out turned it off. Basically how the system works is if there is a problem then it turns off (safety reasons) Ive always wondered if someone knows how to wire up an airbag thats not there (so the system would think it was there and still be armed) I have a gle with bags in the seats and want to remove them. (my systems off too).

Did you unplug the horn wires when you took the wheel off? there should be just one positive (that touches the metal part of the wheel and grounds to close the circuit).
Ok, just so I'm clear....since one airbag is removed, the other is no longer active? So I could remove the airbag warning light and I (or my passenger) would be no worse off than what it already is?
Old 07-21-2011, 04:30 PM

A safe bet would be to prevent the bulb from emitting light.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
Ok, just so I'm clear....since one airbag is removed, the other is no longer active? So I could remove the airbag warning light and I (or my passenger) would be no worse off than what it already is?
Yes and yes. Except for the whole unprotected thing....
Also, where I live we have to get a safety inspection yearly. If the light is on it would pass but if the airbags had been deployed or are missing it would fail the inspection.