General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

3.5 Swap on any Gen. !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by clee130

Notice that when the technical discussion about the swap actually start taking place, the original poster is nowhere to be found. Several comments about this:

1) If you're going to be discouraged from a couple of flames and say, "Goodbye", then you're definately not cut out to do a swap that no one has done before.

2) If you don't ask and join in the technical discussion, then you haven't done enough research in the first place and not cut out to do the swap.
Hey dude some of us have things called "lives." You might try it. One also functions better when sleep is involved in this thing called a life. I actually do go out and drive the Maxima around as well. I don't just type about it.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by UglyMax

Hey dude some of us have things called "lives." You might try it. One also functions better when sleep is involved in this thing called a life. I actually do go out and drive the Maxima around as well. I don't just type about it.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:11 AM
pro

Can we just stop all the pointless flames, there is no reason to be rude just because you disagree with something. I beleive this could be a good thread if we all act like adults. Anyway here is my take on it. I would love to see a 3.5 in a 4th gen but I just don't think it's practical. The amount of money you will spend doing this could max out your car with almost every performance mod you can get and this would make your max much faster then the engine swap. However, I do not have a lot of money so that is what I would do. If you have the money this will make you maxima the fastest out there when you mod the 3.5. So if you have the money for mods after the swap please go ahead and do this. Also I see that you have 150,000 miles so I know that modding the current engine isn't the best option as it will die in a couple years anyway. So to sum up, if you have the money please do it, however, remember that 4th gens with boost will still propably be faster then you still.
[edit]Sorry about all the grammer erros, I am at work so I have to hurry[/edit]
Good Luck,
Paul
Old 07-23-2002, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

We're also not interested in being blamed for a failed attempt, which will happen when you newcomers any glimmer of hope on something NO ONE here has done.

Please keep in mind NO ONE here has done this and the undertaking will be quite expensive and time prohibitive. We are not responsible for what happens to your car. [/B]
Gee the first thing I think of when I attempt a mod on my Maxima is IF IT DOESN'T WORK BY GOD I'M GOING TO SUIT MAXIMA.ORG!

Old 07-23-2002, 10:40 AM
I'm needing a caw

Suit me! I could use a new suit.

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ

Gee the first thing I think of when I attempt a mod on my Maxima is IF IT DOESN'T WORK BY GOD I'M GOING TO SUIT MAXIMA.ORG!

Old 07-23-2002, 10:58 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by 02MaximizedVQ

You're forgetting rule #1. Unless suit doesn't equal sue in this context.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:20 AM
VQ Wizard

To summarize this situation.

1) Guy starts thread about doing a VQ35 engine swap.

2) Newbie gets flamed because he didn't use search

3) Some believe the swap is too expensive and not worth the time

4) Some state that nobody that has the knowledge to do this has even tried

5) Person 'A' attempted to sure person 'B' for said information

6) Ethan tries to be gentleman and calm the crowd and risks getting his own flame

7) Stated that variable cam timing on VQ35 is only mechanical.

8)That claim rebuted.

Ok, Im going to try to take a stab at this without pisiong off the majority.

1). I don't see a problem for the newbies or any of us to be inquisitive and speak our minds (thoughts and questions).

2) Yes he should of used the search function. When in Rome do as the Romas do. But shouldn't we settle for a small slap on the wrist instead of an excecution? Advise them of or simply warn on the first offense (no matter how much a pain it can be).

3) Yes for 99.99% of Maxima owners this simply isn't worth the trouble. But there is always that .01% who haev the time and money to spend. Let them have at it.

4) True, of the few people who could actually do this no one has brought forth evidence that they've tried. But some have suggested interest.

5) Ok thats just plain ignorant AND stupid. Whoever you are. Take responsibility for your own freakin actions and stop blaming other people for your own dumbass mistakes. We are no more perfect than you. Trying to sue someone on a message board for something that was said or recommended. I bet you're the same type of schmuck who would sue the makers of American Pie because you saw the guy put his tool in a hot apple pie, tried it yourself and burned your wenie!! (funny but someone really did that)

6) Congrats to Ethan for trying to calm things down. No reason to get upset with that.

7) The cam mechanism on the VQ35 is mostly mechanical but it IS controlled to an extent by the ECU. There is an electrical hookup on the cam actuater device that controls the solinoid. The rest of which is based on oil pressure and flow. I have taken part of this device apart and have a good understanding how it works. If you unplug the ECU connection your car will barely run at all because the cam timing won't be right.

8) No comment.

I expect some people who can't read very will start the flaming.
These are just my views and opinions take em or leave em.
And yes I know I wasn't part of the original conversation but isn't that what a forum is all about?
Old 07-23-2002, 11:32 AM
I'm needing a caw

Yup. Thing is w/o out the ecu portion, the varible cam timing is useless and would make the engine run horribly. It's vital and essential ingredient. That's was my point

Originally posted by SR20DEN

7) The cam mechanism on the VQ35 is mostly mechanical but it IS controlled to an extent by the ECU. There is an electrical hookup on the cam actuater device that controls the solinoid. The rest of which is based on oil pressure and flow. I have taken part of this device apart and have a good understanding how it works. If you unplug the ECU connection your car will barely run at all because the cam timing won't be right.

Old 07-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 07-23-2002, 11:41 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Yup. Thing is w/o out the ecu portion, the varible cam timing is useless and would make the engine run horribly. It's vital and essential ingredient. That's was my point

Thats why i put No comment for your post. You were correct.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:42 AM
I'm needing a caw

intercooler tanks

Thats why i put No comment for your post. You were correct.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se

What resistance?? Point me to Mardi's post and I'll take a look. I never said it's impossible.

I'll post where I like. Especially when they probably contributed more to the thread than most have.

By resistence, I wasn't including you... you are posting things you know, and being helpful. Sorry for not pointing that out. I'm talking about the people who immediatly turn the thread hostile when really this is one thing that none of us has a wealth of information about. It just bothers me that there is so much resistance against this when really it should be something to explore. If we were to have a comprehensive thread that explores all these ideas, then we wouldn't have to have this argument every time a newbie comes in and says i want to put a VQ35 in my car.

So the ECU does signal the device, what I learned about it was from reading a little and talking to a friend whose a mechanic. (i should have seperated it from the part that mardi posted about the manifolds awhile back). Sorry for including that part, I was in a hurry and i didn't think about it. I'm an idiot.

SR20DEN, could you explain how the devices work a little more? Is the ECU directly controlling timing with a signal, or is it merely allowing the VTC's to function?
Old 07-23-2002, 01:38 PM

Next time a thread like this pops up, this will be my response:

yo kid! that would be mad sweet, yo! you would have like tons of torque and mad hp, man! that ish would be crazy tite! you would smoke dem stupid civic ricers left and right! yo, do that ish and take pics! I wanna do that ish too, but I ain't gots no money.

Yo, there gonna be haters coming in and posting later and hating on your idea and s**t. yo man, don't let them haters get you down bro! fuggin do that ish and you be da man, kid!

Mad sweet idea man!
Old 07-23-2002, 01:59 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by 97GLE

By resistence, I wasn't including you... you are posting things you know, and being helpful. Sorry for not pointing that out. I'm talking about the people who immediatly turn the thread hostile when really this is one thing that none of us has a wealth of information about. It just bothers me that there is so much resistance against this when really it should be something to explore. If we were to have a comprehensive thread that explores all these ideas, then we wouldn't have to have this argument every time a newbie comes in and says i want to put a VQ35 in my car.

So the ECU does signal the device, what I learned about it was from reading a little and talking to a friend whose a mechanic. (i should have seperated it from the part that mardi posted about the manifolds awhile back). Sorry for including that part, I was in a hurry and i didn't think about it. I'm an idiot.

SR20DEN, could you explain how the devices work a little more? Is the ECU directly controlling timing with a signal, or is it merely allowing the VTC's to function?
First off, you're NOT an idiot. We all get in a hurry and mis speak ourselves from time to time and Im no stranger to that.

The best I can tell it's a little bit of both. I understand the mechanics involved more so than the ECU control. If you unplug the solenoid the car will idle fine but when you drive the car it stumbles. The device works from oil pressure and it seems that the ECU more or less holds the device back from advacing to far too soon by closing the solenoid (or servo) and regulating the oil flow to the chamber. Here is a pic of the cam side exposed and the cover disc removed. I believe there is a lock pin that holds the cam timing into place during startup and low oil pressure because it does not turn freely. The lockpin probably unlatches and allows the chamber pressure to push the cam clover forward. The side cover has an oil passage and insert that injects the oil directly into the center of the chamber. The O ring on the top right is where the oil comes from the solenoid.

I haven't been able to determine the signalling type (if any) for the solenoid. But I have noticed that it starts with a set voltage and drops with RPM. So it's probably nothing more than that. Thats another reason why I believe the ECU controls the device by holding it back instead of telling it to push forward.

With that information someone could build a separate control device and rewrite a cam timing profile for themselves. One day when I get bored I plan to just put in inline resitors or potentiometers and do some dyno test runs and see if anything can be gained. Not forgetting that the ECU always knows exactly where the cams are supposed to be one must be prepared for some retaliation.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:09 PM

Old 07-23-2002, 02:15 PM
I'm needing a caw

InterCooler, Tanks

By resistence, I wasn't including you... you are posting things you know, and being helpful. Sorry for not pointing that out.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:17 PM
ThisMax2NV

yo kid! that would be mad sweet, yo! you would have like tons of torque and mad hp, man! that ish would be crazy tite! you would smoke dem stupid civic ricers left and right! yo, do that ish and take pics! I wanna do that ish too, but I ain't gots no money.

Yo, there gonna be haters coming in and posting later and hating on your idea and s**t. yo man, don't let them haters get you down bro! fuggin do that ish and you be da man, kid!

Mad sweet idea man!
I like that idea its a good one.

Old 07-23-2002, 02:59 PM

Thanks SR20

So i guess theres three options.

Make a device to mimic the 2k2 ecu's output. However this will most likely drive the ecu nuts with the cam pos. sensor. Maybe, maybe not, almost seems like you'd have to try that to find out.

Find a way to disable CVTC's or make them static. Probably impossible or a huge headache.

Use a 2K2 ecu. <$200 on car-parts.com. The install will likely be a headach; now you at least need a 2k2 throttle body, along with a 2k2 accelerator and sensor. The variable intake runner, which you'd probably get with your block anyway. A 2k2 MAFS unless the 4th gen outputs at the same readings. And matching 02 sensors unless the 4th gens will suffice.

Hrmm...
Old 07-23-2002, 03:00 PM

Your laughing at clee's deleted post aren't you. I was confused at first.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:01 PM

Old 07-23-2002, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
You and me both. Did you bring some Red Vines too?
Old 07-23-2002, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by ljl10

You and me both. Did you bring some Red Vines too?
i actually read this whole post. but i just ran out of junior mints...
Old 07-23-2002, 04:54 PM
VQ Wizard

Just tried it again

I just tried the trick with disconnecting the cam actuators but this time the car didn't stumble. I couldn't really tell a difference by the butt dyno but it did seem a bit louder than usual.
I also put the stock MAF back on the car and lost some torque. The ghetto PVC job I had must have imporved throttle response and added some low end torque. Hmm.... it's about dyno time again
Old 07-23-2002, 05:01 PM

Re: Just tried it again

I just tried the trick with disconnecting the cam actuators but this time the car didn't stumble. I couldn't really tell a difference by the butt dyno but it did seem a bit louder than usual.
I also put the stock MAF back on the car and lost some torque. The ghetto PVC job I had must have imporved throttle response and added some low end torque. Hmm.... it's about dyno time again
Weird... so maybe your car stumbled before because your ECU went into safe mode....

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this PVC MAF job you have?
Old 07-23-2002, 05:03 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Just tried it again

Weird... so maybe your car stumbled before because your ECU went into safe mode....

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this PVC MAF job you have?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=137148
Old 07-23-2002, 05:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Just tried it again

Cool... All you did was disconect the signal wire to the VTC's? I assume this set off the CEL?

Definetly something to check on the dyno... maybe the ECU connection is more of a safeguard than anything else...
Old 07-23-2002, 05:24 PM
VQ Wizard

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just tried it again

Cool... All you did was disconect the signal wire to the VTC's? I assume this set off the CEL?

Definetly something to check on the dyno... maybe the ECU connection is more of a safeguard than anything else...
Nope, no CEL. I think maybe the first time I did it I mistakenly had one of them unplugged ant he other connected. Maybe the ECU saw two different cam positions and wigged out.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:55 AM

Mad sweet idea man!
How old are you? It seems to me that some older person can be an idiot as well. I didn't come in here wanting some Fast and Furious crap. It seems you are quick to throw the insults around with no help being given. I for one was looking for GLE type style with performance under the hood. I wasn't looking for neons and stickers all over the place and not having any of which was advertised, but it just seems that you just plugged me in with every other teenager or young person as the way YOU see them. Excuse me for having a legitimate question ALMIGHTY MAXIMA GOD. Sorry I posted any interest in bettering what car I do have.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:25 AM

How old are you?
Does it matter?

It seems to me that some older person can be an idiot as well.
Quite possible, but in my experience, they don't start threads about engine swaps without doing research first.

I didn't come in here wanting some Fast and Furious crap.
And who said you did?

It seems you are quick to throw the insults around with no help being given.
I replied no more than 4 times in this thread and a lot more people were putting you down more than I was. (see Evil Bill's responses )

I for one was looking for GLE type style with performance under the hood.
What the heck is "GLE type style with performance under the hood"? Chrome accents everywhere, wood dash, 7 spoke rims, 4x4 suspension with a supercharger?
I wasn't looking for neons and stickers all over the place and not having any of which was advertised, but it just seems that you just plugged me in with every other teenager or young person as the way YOU see them.
Ummm ... ok. Where do you see me saying anything about stickers or neons?

Excuse me for having a legitimate question ALMIGHTY MAXIMA GOD. Sorry I posted any interest in bettering what car I do have.
You asked a question and if you had read the rest of the thread, you would have found ample technical discussion answering your question.

And what do you do? You respond to my comment rather than join in on the technical discussions. You choose to get upset over a comment not aimed directly at you rather than respond to the posts directly related to your question.

If I was serious about doing something, I would ignore all those doubting me, and respond to those helping me.

Read up on all those engine and tranny swap threads Jeff dug up. How many of those people have actually gone through with those swaps?

It's fine to dream big, but when people start flinging reality into your face, you can either do two things: 1) get p|ssed off and start whining that nobody wants to give you support or 2) ignore them, go out and do the damn swap and come back, post pics and laugh in everyone's face

Seems most people choose option number 1.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:45 AM

clee has been studying my posts WAY too much......
Old 07-24-2002, 10:51 AM

clee has been studying my posts WAY too much......
Old 07-24-2002, 10:54 AM
VQ Wizard

I am willing to assist anyone in the Charlotte area that really wants to do a VQ35 swap into a 4th gen. So long as they're serious about the project and have the funds to do so. Any takers?
Old 07-24-2002, 10:54 AM

Does it matter?

Quite possible, but in my experience, they don't start threads about engine swaps without doing research first.

And who said you did?

I replied no more than 4 times in this thread and a lot more people were putting you down more than I was. (see Evil Bill's responses )

What the heck is "GLE type style with performance under the hood"? Chrome accents everywhere, wood dash, 7 spoke rims, 4x4 suspension with a supercharger?

Ummm ... ok. Where do you see me saying anything about stickers or neons?

You asked a question and if you had read the rest of the thread, you would have found ample technical discussion answering your question.

And what do you do? You respond to my comment rather than join in on the technical discussions. You choose to get upset over a comment not aimed directly at you rather than respond to the posts directly related to your question.

If I was serious about doing something, I would ignore all those doubting me, and respond to those helping me.

Read up on all those engine and tranny swap threads Jeff dug up. How many of those people have actually gone through with those swaps?

It's fine to dream big, but when people start flinging reality into your face, you can either do two things: 1) get p|ssed off and start whining that nobody wants to give you support or 2) ignore them, go out and do the damn swap and come back, post pics and laugh in everyone's face

Seems most people choose option number 1.
Never mind. I give up trying to type. All you ever have is insults to sling and no seriousness in your posts. All you do is take peoples' posts out of context and put words in their mouth and you damn well know what you meant by doing all the "yo this is tite and all that other hot sh*t" stuff.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:02 AM

Never mind. I give up trying to type. All you ever have is insults to sling and no seriousness in your posts. All you do is take peoples' posts out of context and put words in their mouth and you damn well know what you meant by doing all the "yo this is tite and all that other hot sh*t" stuff.

Wow.....that response sounds way to familiar......

It's like deja-vu all over again.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:20 PM

Wow.....that response sounds way to familiar......

It's like deja-vu all over again.
Oh no. I'll still be around, but I will have pics in two years. If I don't then I will give in. I've never seen the mods on the boards be the a$$holes.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:23 PM

Oh no. I'll still be around, but I will have pics in two years. If I don't then I will give in. I've never seen the mods on the boards be the a$$holes.
It wasn't in direct reference to you, but to other members. It's like there's a "standard response" forum when having flame wars with moderators here......

If you want to be a stupidass, then go ahead. We'll be waiting.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:30 PM

Good luck with your project.
Hmm 2 years... I'm thinking something a long the lines of an AMG C32, thats what I'm thinking in 2 years...

And really what is GLE style? Psuedo sport?

anyway good luck keep us posted.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:36 PM

Does everyone you meet during the day agree with 100% of the things you say? Do you expect it to be any different on the web?

Learn to ignore the posts that don't give you the information you need. You blood pressure will thank you.

Old 07-24-2002, 03:06 PM

I am willing to assist anyone in the Charlotte area that really wants to do a VQ35 swap into a 4th gen. So long as they're serious about the project and have the funds to do so. Any takers?
Thats very generous... I'm in Dallas so I won't be a taker, however I have a good bit of experience working on lo-tech cars, so I imagine the only kind of help I'd need I could get over the internet.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by SLC I30t
Good luck with your project.
Hmm 2 years... I'm thinking something a long the lines of an AMG C32, thats what I'm thinking in 2 years...

And really what is GLE style? Psuedo sport?

anyway good luck keep us posted.
You know, like the GLEs. Leather interior, nice chrome(not bling bling) wheels, wood grain dash, nice stereo system. You know luxury type style. Right now I have the most basic model there is. But then again a basic Max is more stylish than alot of other cars period.

Quick Reply: 3.5 Swap on any Gen. !!!