General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I'm sorry guys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000 | 11:31 PM
Vernon

First of all, the owner of this website spells "Camry" wrong and spells it as "Camary." Shows what he knows about the Toyota Camry, huh?

Secondly, the maxima falls short of the Camry in numerous ways...one way is safety. The Camry's structure is more well built, and stronger by far. In the expensive midsize car cetegory on IIHS, the Toyota Avalon is the highest rated vehicle earning a "Best Pick" award. Guess whos rated dead last? You guessed it, the current 5th generation Nissan Maxima. The Avalon by the way is based on the Camrys structure. And the Camry also received "Best pick," as well.

Okay, fine...maybe crushing your feet and hitting your head on the steering wheel doesn't matter to you. But there is other things as well...

The Camry is also rated the worlds most trouble free car by J.D. Powers. The Toyota Motor Company (TMC) virtually steals every award out there in terms of quality. Just take a look at JD power's website. Sure, it may have more power, but anyone could make their cars go "faster." The Camry is not intended to be a sports sedan, and its not. Its rather a quiet cruiser that gracefully whisps down the road effortlessly, and quietly with the lowest interior sound rating in it's class. Camry=68dBa@70mph/Coasting Maxima=73dBa/Coasting.

The Max is a good car, dont get me wrong...

Don't ever make the mistake as to say the Camry cant touch the Maxima, or that its better. You're just lying to yourself.
Old 12-10-2000 | 11:33 PM

Despite what some people on this bbs say, there is a distinct difference between Camry and Accord.

The Camry makes a better comfortable smooth family sedan, whereas the Maxima makes a better sports sedan. Both cars are similar in many ways, but the type of people who buy them are looking for different things.

Old 12-10-2000 | 11:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Quote by Vernon:
Don't ever make the mistake as to say the Camry cant touch the Maxima, or that its better. You're just lying to yourself.
Okay, so you're saying that the Camry is better then the Maxima, right? One has to be better then the other, right? Lets look at an unbiased source, actually, a source that doesn't even really like the way the Maxima looks...Motor Trend. Recently, they had a shootout between the 2000 Maxima, Honda Accord, Pontiac Grand Prix GT, Ford Taurus, and the Toyota Camry. Which car came in first? Maxima. Which car came in dead last, behind a Ford Taurus? Toyota Camry. Sure, its a safer car. Sure, it has better build quality. However, on a scale from 1 to 10, ten being the highest, of build quality, The Camry might be a ten, but the Maxima is dead last at a 7. Oh no. As far as safety, you make it sound like since Im driving a Maxima, if I bump a car at 5 mph Im going to get decapitated. Yeah right. The Toyota Camry might be the safest car, but it also doesn't mean that you aren't safe in other, less safe cars. If your going 90 on the interstate in a Camry and a deer ran out in front of you, you would more then likely be injured. If a deer ran out in front of me and I was going 90, I would just go around it since the Maxima can actually handle. If you tried to do it in a Camry, you would probably lose control and roll it in the median. Not only that, we didn't buy our cars because they were the safest car on the market. If we did, this forum would be called http://www.volvo.org Furthermore, if all you want to do is contribute trash talking, just pass on through.

BTW, there is no "owner of this site". It is run by a friend of mine, but he is not the "sole owner".
Old 12-11-2000 | 12:00 AM
is invisible

Each car has its own attributes.

Originally posted by Vernon

The Camry is a good car, dont get me wrong...

Don't ever make the mistake as to say the Maxima can't touch the Camry, or that it's better. You're just lying to yourself.

Old 12-11-2000 | 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Slickismax
Quote by Vernon:
Okay, so you're saying that the Camry is better then the Maxima, right? One has to be better then the other, right? Lets look at an unbiased source, actually, a source that doesn't even really like the way the Maxima looks...Motor Trend. Recently, they had a shootout between the 2000 Maxima, Honda Accord, Pontiac Grand Prix GT, Ford Taurus, and the Toyota Camry. Which car came in first? Maxima. Which car came in dead last, behind a Ford Taurus? Toyota Camry. Sure, its a safer car. Sure, it has better build quality. However, on a scale from 1 to 10, ten being the highest, of build quality, The Camry might be a ten, but the Maxima is dead last at a 7. Oh no. As far as safety, you make it sound like since Im driving a Maxima, if I bump a car at 5 mph Im going to get decapitated. Yeah right. The Toyota Camry might be the safest car, but it also doesn't mean that you aren't safe in other, less safe cars. If your going 90 on the interstate in a Camry and a deer ran out in front of you, you would more then likely be injured. If a deer ran out in front of me and I was going 90, I would just go around it since the Maxima can actually handle. If you tried to do it in a Camry, you would probably lose control and roll it in the median. Not only that, we didn't buy our cars because they were the safest car on the market. If we did, this forum would be called http://www.volvo.org Furthermore, if all you want to do is contribute trash talking, just pass on through.

BTW, there is no "owner of this site". It is run by a friend of mine, but he is not the "sole owner".

HAHAHAHA... i couldn't agree more. oh GOD, i made the mistake, i'm doomed.
Old 12-11-2000 | 12:05 AM

Whats up bro? Are you going to the Dallas meet?
Old 12-11-2000 | 12:09 AM

This camry vs. Maxima stuff is getting old

hi-
I have a good perspective on the camry vs. Maxima debate. I own a 96 max with all the usual crap ( rims exhaust lowered etc.), My dad has a 2000 SE, and my mom drives a 99 Camry with every option. I have driven them all in the city and on the high way. Hands down the Camry is way more comfortable then my 96' or my dad's 00'Maxima. I also think the build quality of the car is better its like a vault. Its quieter, smoother, and i know im going to get slack for this but its kinda easier to drive. How ever its absolutly 100% the most boring car I have ever driven. Its the kind of car that you find your self going 45 in a 50mph zone. When im in the camry i never feel the desire to push the limmits, have fun driving, or smile as a matter of fact. The camry is a "mom" car, hay i guess thats why my mom has one. Anyway, the maima is so fun to drive. I find my self taking the long way home just to get a few extra miniutes behind the wheel. When i go places in my max or my dads people always give me props for how cool my car looks. With the camry they never look twice. Also being 6'2" and just under 200lbs the max is way more comfortable. It has significantly more usable room inside. Also I keep hearing all this stuff about how much more reliable camrys are and how they last 300k miles etc., well who actually wants to keep a car that long? I have no intent to keep any car i ever own that long. I love both cars but for me the max is better( even id it might die before 300,000 miles).
Mike
p.s.
Im a horrible speller!
Please forgive me for any gramer
or spelling errors.

Old 12-11-2000 | 12:42 AM

Actually, the deer example is a bad one. Cuz my mom hit a deer on the freeway in her Camry (99 XLe V6) going 85MPH!!!! Man, what a coincidence someone would mention hitting a deer in a Camry. The Camry was smashed on the driver side front. Headlight was smashed in and inoperative, hood was creased up like six inches. But you know what? It was like 1:00am and my mom didn't want to stop. The engine ran just fine and the thing wasn't overheating (it didn't even leak coolant) so she drove it home 40 miles back to San Francisco. So don't go off about how a Maxima can steer around a deer when going 85MPH. At that speed, you are literally overdriving your headlights, and it would almost impossible to evade a deer which suddenly jumped in front of your car from the shoulder. My mom is a great driver. I'm sure if she saw the deer she would have steered clear of it, but it was just so sudden. So in light of that situation, I do think the Camry is VERY safe car. It's is so solidly built that it took a frontal collision and kept on running!

I still like my Maxima, but I have to give props to the smoothness and refined feel of the Camry. The Camry interior LOOKS cheap, but it's actually better made than the Maxima by a longshot. No rattles at all. Sure, it doesn't handle like a BMW, but it doesn't have to. It's the perfect car for my mom, who likes the smooth and quiet ride. Plus, I can't think of any car more reliable than a Camry. My Maxima has had so many problems, I'm sick of listing them.

So please..yes the Maxima handles better than the Camry, but before you declare the Camry as being inferior to the Maxima, take it from someone who has driven both extensively. The Camry is a great car. It's different from a Maxima, but that doesn't make it worse than a Maxima.

Old 12-11-2000 | 04:26 AM
Got Bent?

Not this again...

Who is lying to who here? It is apparant that you feel the need to defend the Camry by posting to a bunch of Maxima enthusiasts on this board. If you are so safe and secure in driving a Camry, then you should have no reason to defend the merits of the Camry. No body here will say that the Camry sucks. Look, the Camry is by all means, the definition of a family sedan. It serves that purpose well and that is it. Nothing more, nothing less. The Maxima, on the other hand, can serve as a nice sedan and a fun to drive sports sedan at the same time. SO, have fun driving your Camry (do Camry drivers even know what it means to have fun while driving??) while we enjoy our Maximas...
Old 12-11-2000 | 04:31 AM
tan_camry

This thread and stufff

Hey Eric L. you remind of another Eric that posts here, but I don't know his username. He's from Maryland, and driving his mom's Camry 97 LEV6 (sand-drift metallic) hit a deer...almost the same damamge (its in his website which I can't remember off the top of my head) drives, drives a 97 Max SE...just too much of a coincidence.

Now to Vernon.
I understand you drive a Camry (so do I) and proud of it. Now basically if you read the post that RB posted on the camryman.org forum a few days ago about some guy named "j" posted some **** on the this forum, you will understand my stance on this. Quit trolling, and by posting your message here, you're starting a flame war,that you're not going to win. Also most importantly, YOU ARE MAKING THE FOLKS AT THE CAMRYMAN.ORG FORUM LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF *******S, which I, and many others are not.

My view about Maximas...
They are very nice cars, deliberately positioned above the Accord and Camry and remember the 1989 4DSC ads..."4 Door Sports Cars". The 3rd generation is by far, the best looking Max. The 4th and 5th, gets uglier each gen. Personally, I rather drive the I30, the expensive Max with its own features that the Max doesn't have, and looks better, but the Max has a 5-speed manual. But I can sacriface the manual for teh more conservative shape of the I30 (which the taillamps looks very similar to the Mazda Millenia).

To each cars has its own advantages and disadvantages, and obviously your tastes did not make you buy a Camry or Accord, instead (duh) a Max.
Old 12-11-2000 | 04:41 AM
tan_camry

Hey Eric L.

Here's the Eric I'm talking about

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/ericwong/index.html
Old 12-11-2000 | 06:08 AM

hi vernon!

you forgot one thing, if i wanted a camry i would have saved my *** a few thousand dollars and gotten one, obviously since all you do is quote from a magazine, you couldnt say how the camry is better from your own experience...gee mt car of the year was the PT cruiser, if all i did was read that **** and adopt it into my own opinion...
all im trying to say is if you actually tested the cars yourself (like i did) instead of just quoting from some magazine and found why the camry is oh wait **** you and your granny-esque piece of **** camry
have a nice day!
Old 12-11-2000 | 08:33 AM
davis449

Now this just pisses me off! I hate you Camry people talking trash! You wanna race, bring it on! Talk about a well-built car? My sister has a used but Toyota CERTIFIED '97 V6 XLE Gold package Camry. The fake-a$$ wood trim is pealing off, her factory tint is bubbled and it leaks like a soda can shot with a 12 gauge! I have a used '93 SE 5spd Nissan CERTIFIED: no leaks, no dash wear, etc. But my seats are cracking due to the fact that I live in West Texas where it regualrly hits 100 degrees in our five month long summer season and I have no window tint. Check it out: I have 111,000 miles and my sister's Camry has 50,000. You wanna talk about ratings? Best V6 made PERIOD how many years now? Do the f--king math!
Old 12-11-2000 | 08:53 AM

I've had a Camry in my family in the past ... YES its a reliable and safe Car ...

BUT ... it IS boring as Hell, Interior is Boring, Exterior is Boring ... Guys ... if the Camry was Made to attract attention and geared towards Performance ... then the SOLARA would have NEVER come to life!!!

I have to admit ... the Camry IS a good FAMILY car ... something that gets you from Point A to Point B without any problems, BUT without any FUN either!!!

The MAXIMA on the other hand ... is geared more towards the market the SOLARA is going for , Aimed at people who want something DIFFERENT, less Generic ... and more "SPUNK" (damn I don't believe I used that word)

BUT ... we do have 2 models that have a DIVISION!

GLE - Closer to the CAMRY Market, family, luxury, Quiet Ride, more BORING

SE- FAR from the Camry Market, Sportier, 5 Spd, Better Handling, Distinct Look (Spoiler, Rims, Tail Lights, Dash)

Sportyness and SEX appeal ... MAXIMA wins HANDS down!!!!
Secure, Family ... Camry!!!

BUT what do we REALLY want???? We're STILL YOUNG DAMN IT!!!!!
Old 12-11-2000 | 08:56 AM

Whatever..............

Ahhhhhh....Where do I begin?

I was at a Drag Wars event a few years ago, and an Old Lady in a CAMRY re-ended me and did $8000 damage to my Maxima (it was on a trailer), totaled my trailer, and did $15,000 damage to my truck. The Maxima wasn't totaled, but the CAMRY was....why? because the CAMRY wasn't worth as much (same year)....

Why was she driving a CAMRY?....cause thats what ALL OLD Ladies drive.

They are quieter, for sure...but you can't polish a turd.

I'm not sure why someone is on OUR board trying to talk us into a CAMRY? Is someone on the CAMRY board trying to talk those guys into buying a Maxima?

Nice car, but not a Maxima. Go pedal your shyte to the Hyundai or KIA BBS....

[Edited by Don in Texas on 12-11-2000 at 10:58 AM]
Old 12-11-2000 | 09:02 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Camary is a great car. It's low profile and it fits in with every other cars on the road. You can even get it in the uninspiring 4 cylinder version to save gas =). My Maxima on the other hand is a head turner. Rice boys want to race me, thieves want to steal it and girls just love to ride in it. Comparing Camary to Maxima is like comparing Maxima to BMW.

Camary is not an enthusiast's car. It's a safe and reliable transportation.

Hey, Vernon. What have you done to you car? Fuzzy dice and air freshner do not count as performace mods =)

First of all, the owner of this website spells "Camry" wrong and spells it as "Camary." Shows what he knows about the Toyota Camry, huh?

Secondly, the maxima falls short of the Camry in numerous ways...one way is safety. The Camry's structure is more well built, and stronger by far. In the expensive midsize car cetegory on IIHS, the Toyota Avalon is the highest rated vehicle earning a "Best Pick" award. Guess whos rated dead last? You guessed it, the current 5th generation Nissan Maxima. The Avalon by the way is based on the Camrys structure. And the Camry also received "Best pick," as well.

Okay, fine...maybe crushing your feet and hitting your head on the steering wheel doesn't matter to you. But there is other things as well...

The Camry is also rated the worlds most trouble free car by J.D. Powers. The Toyota Motor Company (TMC) virtually steals every award out there in terms of quality. Just take a look at JD power's website. Sure, it may have more power, but anyone could make their cars go "faster." The Camry is not intended to be a sports sedan, and its not. Its rather a quiet cruiser that gracefully whisps down the road effortlessly, and quietly with the lowest interior sound rating in it's class. Camry=68dBa@70mph/Coasting Maxima=73dBa/Coasting.

[Edited by 1MAX2NV on 12-11-2000 at 11:10 AM]
Old 12-11-2000 | 09:03 AM

I like both cars...i like posting on here cause our cars are so close that i can learn from you guys and hopefully you can learn from me. We both have people thinking our cars are crappy and slow ( although nissan definetly wins some over with the commercial of the sideways max ), we can show em what these japanese sedans can really do. When it comes down to it most guys that dont have our cars think BOTH of them are slow. Yeah neither car is extremely fast in auto but they are still quick and the 5 speed versions catch a lot of cars sleeping on em. The supercharged 5 speeds even more. So instead of pissing on each other for what weve choosen to drive, lets be constuctive and open minded enough to understand the goods and bads of each car.

Every forum has their trolls that like starting little wars. Everyone takes pride in their personal ride so dissing it is only gonna make em mad. I dont hate anyone for what they drive. Even v6 accords.
Old 12-11-2000 | 09:08 AM

Re: Whatever..............

Originally posted by Don in Texas
Ahhhhhh....Where do I begin?

I was at a Drag Wars event a few years ago, and an Old Lady in a CAMRY re-ended me and did $8000 damage to my Maxima (it was on a trailer), totaled my trailer, and did $15,000 damage to my truck. The Maxima wasn't totaled, but the CAMRY was....why? because the CAMRY wasn't worth as much (same year)....

Why was she driving a CAMRY?....cause thats what ALL OLD Ladies drive.

They are quieter, for sure...but you can't polish a turd.

I'm not sure why someone is on OUR board trying to talk us into a CAMRY? Is someone on the CAMRY board trying to talk those guys into buying a Maxima?

Nice car, but not a Maxima. Go pedal your shyte to the Hyundai or KIA BBS....

Um yeah guys have come onto the camry board with maximuhs and started dissing...but do i come on here and diss...NOPE

camrys a turd now....I ran a 14.9 this weekend with minimal mods (CF HOOD,INTAKE,SHORT SHIFTER,SPRINGS) real slow...

Not all camrys are 4 banger autos...
Old 12-11-2000 | 09:09 AM

gLok,
We definitely welcome someone like you, but Vernon has to go. He's talking about safety and interior noise level. LOL...

Originally posted by gLok
I like both cars...i like posting on here cause our cars are so close that i can learn from you guys and hopefully you can learn from me. We both have people thinking our cars are crappy and slow ( although nissan definetly wins some over with the commercial of the sideways max ), we can show em what these japanese sedans can really do. When it comes down to it most guys that dont have our cars think BOTH of them are slow. Yeah neither car is extremely fast in auto but they are still quick and the 5 speed versions catch a lot of cars sleeping on em. The supercharged 5 speeds even more. So instead of pissing on each other for what weve choosen to drive, lets be constuctive and open minded enough to understand the goods and bads of each car.

Every forum has their trolls that like starting little wars. Everyone takes pride in their personal ride so dissing it is only gonna make em mad. I dont hate anyone for what they drive. Even v6 accords.
[Edited by 1MAX2NV on 12-11-2000 at 11:36 AM]
Old 12-11-2000 | 09:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

just wanna say

Hey max guys...I just want to say that VERNON has been a "problem" over at our camry board as well. We're not trying to start anything here and please don't judge all of us camry people by one rogue camry member. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2000 | 09:14 AM

Re: Re: Whatever..............

Wow....How many 5-speed camary are out there? I don't think I ever seen one.
14.9 is not bad. We have few bone stock 2000 SE 5-speed runs 14.8 =)
Originally posted by gLok
[[Edited by Don in Texas on 12-11-2000 at 10:58 AM] [/I]
Um yeah guys have come onto the camry board with maximuhs and started dissing...but do i come on here and diss...NOPE

camrys a turd now....I ran a 14.9 this weekend with minimal mods (CF HOOD,INTAKE,SHORT SHIFTER,SPRINGS) real slow...

Not all camrys are 4 banger autos... [/I][/QUOTE]
Old 12-11-2000 | 09:18 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
gLok,
We definitely welcome someone like you, but Vernon has to go. He's talking about safty and interior noise level. LOL...
Thanks. Like i said i get enough hate from honda owners and other import "enthusiasts" I'm into the scene and like all sedans ( they are my preference, 5 speed four door V6s ).

I would be driving a maxima but the new ones were slightly out of my price range and i ended up finding a camry for cheap ( $20,500 brand new ).
Old 12-11-2000 | 09:25 AM

Re: Whatever..............

Originally posted by Don in Texas

but you can't polish a turd.

LOL ...

HAHAHAHAHAHA ... I've Heard a LOT of expressions ... but this one KILLS IT ALL ... one of the Funniest things I've EVER heard!!!

I'm NOT dissin' Camry's ... I just like this STATEMENT!
Old 12-11-2000 | 09:27 AM

ATTN: gLok

Hey ... I like your UserName ...

But I'm wondering ... is it prononced G LOK or GLOK (kinda like the GUN)?????

Old 12-11-2000 | 09:35 AM

Maxima is a safe car

The Maxima is a safe car. Also in overall performance and ownwership, several publications pick the Maxima above cars in its class. Road and Track picked it number one in its class, over the Camry and Accord. Consumer Reports ranked it very high too, giving it an "Excellent" rating.

Let's look at safety...

The 2000+ Maxima does a good job of protecting head/neck and chest. The Camry doesn't do as good job protecting head and neck.

From IHS:

OVERALL EVALUATION: ACCEPTABLE The driver space was maintained reasonably well in the frontal offset crash test, although footwell intrusion contributed to the likelihood of leg injuries. Side airbags with head protection (standard in I30, optional in Maxima), standard belt crash tensioners, and active head restraints (I30 models) are pluses.

From NHTSA:

The Maxima gets 4 stars all around.

The Camry gets 3 stars on side, 4 on driver front, and 5 on passenger front. Just don't get hit on the side! LOL.

Old 12-11-2000 | 10:08 AM

"Fuzzy dice and air freshner do not count as performace mods =) "

dont go there
Old 12-11-2000 | 10:19 AM

Re: ATTN: gLok

Originally posted by Empz
Hey ... I like your UserName ...

But I'm wondering ... is it prononced G LOK or GLOK (kinda like the GUN)?????

Its prononced like the gun. I got the nickname from my friends since i used to work for a gun shop/pawn shop/gun range here in florida as a salesman/instructor. I carried a glock 23 when i was on duty and my friends started calling me that. It just stuck but i dont wanna use GLOCK so i just took the C out.

BTW i dont "carry" a gun anymore. Its just a name that stuck with me.
Old 12-11-2000 | 11:04 AM
is invisible

Really, the question is...

Originally posted by davis449
Now this just pisses me off! I hate you Camry people talking trash! You wanna race, bring it on! Talk about a well-built car? My sister has a used but Toyota CERTIFIED '97 V6 XLE Gold package Camry. The fake-a$$ wood trim is pealing off, her factory tint is bubbled and it leaks like a soda can shot with a 12 gauge! I have a used '93 SE 5spd Nissan CERTIFIED: no leaks, no dash wear, etc. But my seats are cracking due to the fact that I live in West Texas where it regualrly hits 100 degrees in our five month long summer season and I have no window tint. Check it out: I have 111,000 miles and my sister's Camry has 50,000. You wanna talk about ratings? Best V6 made PERIOD how many years now? Do the f--king math!
is this a fair comparison to apply to ALL Maximas and Camrys? You just gave 2 particular, special case scenarios examples and made it apply to ALL Maximas and Camrys. I could easily negate that and say that my dad's '98 Camry has had fewer problems than his previous '96 Maxima. Do the ****ing logic.

[Edited by CoolMax on 12-11-2000 at 02:43 PM]
Old 12-11-2000 | 11:14 AM
is invisible

Please explain...

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Comparing Camary to Maxima is like comparing Maxima to BMW.
how that comparison is possible?
Sure Nissan say its Altima goes up against the Camry, but I find that to be a marketing gimmick.

This is how I see it:
i30 vs. ES300 therefore Maxima vs. v6 Camry.
Old 12-11-2000 | 11:17 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Here's my take...

The Camry is a very bland compared to the bland Maxima. With springs, wheels, and a tasteful bodykit, the Maxima takes on a completely different and more aggressive look. The cosmetic mods look "right" (I'm not talking about combat and touring wings..ugggghhh). On the Camry, the same mods just don't look right. I don't know why, but it doesn't. The interior of the Camry might be better put together, but it is extremely plain. The interior and dashboard design in the 4th gen Maxima emmulates a Mercedes. The Camry is plain and simple...vanilla.

Performance wise, a stock 5 speed Maxima has a slight advantage due to slightly deeper gearing and a slightly lighter body. I know a couple Camry guys have listed their near stock ets as 14.9s@92mph, but look at their 60 foots. They are pulling 2.1 60 foots which is damn good for fwd. Chances are their track (appears to be Moroso) is very sticky. I'm lucky to get 2.4s at my track. There are plenty of guys how have pulled off 15.1-15.2@92mph 1/4 miles with 2.3/2.4 60 foots in stock Maximas. That indicates to me that the Maxima is a very hard car to launch right. If many of us could pull off 2.1 60 foots, we'd be in the upper 14s stock and mid to low 14s modified. In a nutshell, both cars perform the same at the track. The Max maybe faster modified since Toyota ECUs have a reputation of not taking to mods like the Nissan ECUs do.

Handling wise, the Maxima wins because of better tires and slightly larger wheels. On a bumpy and curvy road, the Camry would do better because of it's independant rear. With modified suspensions, both cars would handle about the same.

For "sleeper" effect, the Camry wins hands down. Especially Tsong's Camry with TRD supercharger and a stock body and plastic hucaps.

I don't think the Camry is a crap car at all. I just think it's a little bland and not my cup of tea. As for safety, both cars are too close to call. If you're in a wreck above 40mph, consider yourself lucky if you walk away....in any car. There are too many varibles to declare which car is better.

Dave
Old 12-11-2000 | 11:39 AM

Tiem is in texas and i am in florida. So its not just the track. I think it has a lot to do with the gearing of our different cars also. I would love to get my hands on a 5 speed maxima to see what i could run. My friend has one but doesnt run at the track and wont let me drive it

What is the best 60 foot time you guys have had in 4th gen maximas? ( I dont compare the 5th gen since its got a lot more horsepower than our two cars and should be in the 14.8/14.7 range with a good driver bone stock. )

He can correct me on this but i think Tiem did his 14.9 with a 2.2x 60 foot and a faster MPH than me. I havent compared slips to see what i need to improve on. I think that shows his cars engine is a little stronger in the mid range or my shifting needs help. I also think my damned intake is slowing me down without a y-pipe and exhaust. Plus not to kick too many excuses (hey i barely broke 14s anyways) but my clutch is slipping slightly also.

Well this arguement could go on forever since my car isnt a BONE STOCK camry and in 2001 (im broke right now) im getting more parts installed such as...

ACT clutch (bought but not in)
9lb flywheel (bought but not in)
TRD Limited Slip Differential
Custom Y-Pipe or custom full down pipe by hytech exhaust
Full mandrel bent exhaust
TRD Struts

Then the TRD supercharger once my engines breathing and tranny is built up. And my income tax check gets here!!!

Cant wait....
Old 12-11-2000 | 11:58 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The best 60 foot for street tires on a Maxima 5 speed is right around a 2.2 60 foot. JeffK got a 2.1 on drag radials and ran a 14.3@95mph. There are some guys getting 1.9-2.0s with their automatic Max's, but they are running power adders like SCs and NOS.

On the average, most of us are pulling 2.2-2.4s (me being on of the guys with 2.4s). I don't know about you Camry guys, but if I launch at 1800+ rpms with a quick clutch slip all I get is wheelspin. I've tried everything, but I'm always in the 2.35-2.45 range. It really irrates me that I'm trapping at 74-75mph in the 1/8th and 94-96mph in 1/4, but I'm only running 14.9-15.0s. It ticks me off knowing my car is a 14.5 second car with a 2.1 60 foot.

I recently dynoed my car and realized I've been shifting way too high. I've adjusted my shift points accordingly and my car feels a bit quicker. That could be part of the reason I'm running upper 14s.

Question? What do Camry's run with an intake, y-pipe, and 2 1/2 piping to the stock muffler? More importantly, what are their trap speeds? I'm running consistent 14.9s at 94-96mph with 2.4 60 foots with a y-pipe, intake, and 2 1/2" piping to the stock muffler.

Dave
Old 12-11-2000 | 12:02 PM
STFU n00b!

I'm sorry you feel this way about such a fine car. Seems pretty funny to me that since the Maxima is such a $hitty car that Nissan has only made MILLIONS of them, with even the 1st and 2nd generations of them still on the road today.
sheesh, I can't drive across town without seeing at least 40 Maximas. the only other car I see around here as plentiful as Maximas are Mustangs, camaros, and Ford trucks.

So if there are that many Maximas are on the road, does that make us all idiots for not buying a Camary? (yes I know I spelled it wrong. The camry is just a glorified honduh in my book. overweight, underpowered, overpriced, and gawdawfully ugly).
With all due respect, shut up and go back to where you came from.
my $0.02.
Old 12-11-2000 | 12:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

From what I've read, VERNON, doesn't know a *******ed thing about cars, much less comment on the difference between a Maxima and a Camry. What an idiot.
Old 12-11-2000 | 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
The camry is just a glorified honduh in my book. overweight, underpowered, overpriced, and gawdawfully ugly
All camrys?

Heres mine...

Overweight - 3,175 lbs?
Underpowered - 194 hp 209 ft lbs torque?
Overpriced - $20,500 brand new for a loaded (six speaker Cd/Tape radio,side airbags,alloy rims etc etc) LE 5 speed V6 (no leather, no sunroof which i dont want anyways as they add weight, i already had a fully loaded acura legend with all that and wasnt happy)
Gawdawfully Ugly - Your Opinion

Please dont stoop down to his level as this guy doesnt represent the camry owners as a whole...no one person should represent any car. I dont even know if he has a car.

Old 12-11-2000 | 12:40 PM

Personally i think you are right about the looks, in the front of the car...the camry has one set of lights in the front and i dont like it...

The JDM version looks better but i cant get the bumper just yet....

Old 12-11-2000 | 01:07 PM

Re: Hey Eric L.

Originally posted by less_biased_car_dude
Here's the Eric I'm talking about

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/ericwong/index.html

Wow thanks. That was exactly what happened to my mom, but it was mainly damage on the driver's side front and it was a little more dented in that in Eric Wong's case. Either way, isn't it pretty good how the Camry stood up to frontal collision?? I think it is.

Old 12-11-2000 | 01:12 PM

Re: Really, the question is...

Exactly. Most of the Maxima people here have never owned a Camry. My family has owned two Camrys. Much more reliable than my Maxima. In fact, I have never heard of a major reliability problem with Camrys. I think there was an ignition switch recall, and some of the old Camrys (like 1990 and before) have power lock problems. Other than that, they are completely bulletproof. I don't even want to list the number of Maxima defects (rattles, O2 sensors, starters, alternators, VTC, etc.. etc.. etc...)

Originally posted by CoolMax
Originally posted by davis449
is this a fair comparison to apply to ALL Maximas and Camrys? You just gave 2 particular, special case scenarios examples and made it apply to ALL Maximas and Camrys. I could easily negate that and say that my dad's '98 Camry has had fewer problems than his previous '96 Maxima. Do the ****ing logic.

[Edited by CoolMax on 12-11-2000 at 02:43 PM]
Old 12-11-2000 | 01:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Hmmm...I like that JDM front end. If you add some springs and decent looking 16s or 17s on there it could look pretty good. It must be something about the lack of driving lights on the US models.

As for the weight issue. I wouldn't call your car overweight, but it is a bit heavier than my 96 Maxima. I've shed some weight from my Maxima by adding a y-pipe (-15lbs), RT cat (-8lbs), lightweight 16s (-18lbs), and different seats-non power (-25lbs). My car is a SE and weighed in at 2967lbs with 4 gallons of gas (and not me = 180lbs). So roughly, your car weighs about 200 lbs more than mine. We all know lower hp and torque producing cars are more affected by added weight than a high torque V8. Nissan and the Kansas DMV list my Maxima as weighing 3025 lbs. It's the lightest sedan I know of in it's immediate class. I think the lack of weight plays a major role in why a Maxima is so quick for a NA 5 speed V6 sedan with 190hp.

Dave
Old 12-11-2000 | 01:20 PM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
I'm sorry you feel this way about such a fine car. Seems pretty funny to me that since the Maxima is such a $hitty car that Nissan has only made MILLIONS of them, with even the 1st and 2nd generations of them still on the road today.
sheesh, I can't drive across town without seeing at least 40 Maximas. the only other car I see around here as plentiful as Maximas are Mustangs, camaros, and Ford trucks.

So if there are that many Maximas are on the road, does that make us all idiots for not buying a Camary? (yes I know I spelled it wrong. The camry is just a glorified honduh in my book. overweight, underpowered, overpriced, and gawdawfully ugly).
With all due respect, shut up and go back to where you came from.
my $0.02.
C'mon man. We don't need negative comments like that. The Camry is very close to a Maxima. Check the specs and you will see that the Camry is pretty much as fast as a 5th gen Maxima (when comparing similar transmissions), and the Camry has 30 less hp! I'm not going to debate the minutia of 0.1 sec faster and little things like that, but keep in mind that both the Camry and Maxima are family sedans, and guess which one is the better family sedan...the Camry! The Maxima is a LITTLE sportier, but if you mod a Camry it will be just as sporty as a modded Maxima.

Looks are subjective too. Some people think Chrysler vehicles look good. I think they are hideous. Same thing regarding Maxima vs. Camry. After washing and waxing my mom's 99 XLE V6 (antique sage), it is absolutely gorgeous...absolutely stunning compared to my black Maxima.

So please don't generalize on Maxima vs. Camry. Until you've owned one, you can't really know how good (or bad) the Camry is. From my experience, the Maxima is sportier, but the Camry is more refined and better built. I don't even notice the decreased handling in my mom's camry because the whole car is so smooth and fluid, just like a lexus.

Quick Reply: I'm sorry guys...