General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

anyone with illegal tint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2000, 03:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know it varies from state to state. I'm not sure if I got the percentage right. I think I have 35% for the two front windows, and 25% for the two rear window/rear windshield as well. I want to redo the whole tint because it's seem like the tint is starting to go bad. Anyway, I want to maybe get 25% or 20% all around, except the front windshield of course. Is 20% dark enough? I think it's illegal in my state to have 20% for the front two windows. However, I hardly see anyone get pulled over for just the tint. It's usually they got stopped for speeding, or something else, and then the cop would add the tint violation in. Anyone of you guys/gals running with illegal tint job? Have you got caught yet? I'm not too worry about getting caught, I got myself a good lawyer who can usually help me "erase" any tickets. Btw, I have a black car, I would think having 20% all around would like very cool. I just wish that I could somehow picture that. Oh well.
Old 12-11-2000, 03:39 PM

i dont know how much % it is in Pennsylvania for it to be illegal, but i think it depends a lot on the cops if they decide to pull you over. i have friends whose dads are cops. and they tell me that usually they dont care unless its like limo black, or lets say around 5% tint. and like you said, if they pull someone over for another violation, they would just say to them, "that tint is too dark, i dont want to see that on next time", but they never really did anything about it.

but i want to know, is it ok for someone to have totally black or mirror tint as long as it doesnt cover the front driver and passenger side windows?

by far the coolest tint ive seen would be the rainbow tint that changes colors as u look at it from different angles.
Old 12-11-2000, 07:03 PM

i live in NY and i have 15% tints front and rear, plus a black visor on the windshield on top of my tinted visor that allows NO light to pass through. I think its almost too dark, but as a whole the car looks really good at night and during the day.

Old 12-11-2000, 07:16 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I am still planning on getting tint soon...

I think I'll go with 25% sides and 15% on the rear, maybe some slight thing in the front, like 50%... my friend has 35% and it doesn't really look that dark in the daytime, but he has 5% in the back which is TOO DARK, you can't see **** at night when looking back, if someone isn't driving with their lights on, its very very hard for u to see them, parking it tough too

I am in NY and I am worried about the tint thing and the cops but I am worried about passing the inspection as well, have to find those shady shops that will pass me for an extra 20$.
Old 12-11-2000, 07:22 PM

Cops will be lenient on the side windows, but they'll nail you for tinting the windshield (if you're going to tint the whole thing). Also, that's just a bad idea... get some good sunglasses instead.
Old 12-11-2000, 07:57 PM

I've got 30 on the fronts and 20 on the rears, and it works pretty nicely. The local laws are 35% on the front and anything goes on the rears, so I'm breaking it just a little. I found the difference between 30% and 35% was quite noticeable, but it's close enough to 35% that I can just go "hey well it's 35% it just looks darker because it's a black car" and then point to the 20% to prove the difference.

Anything less than 20% in the rear windows will make it really hard to see out the back at night. 20%'s is as low as I'd recommend.

Old 12-11-2000, 08:45 PM
tan_camry

I believe 20% is the max for PA and DE. 35% for MD. 50% front and 35% rear for VA. Though driving around center city Philly, I saw behind me a Accord with TINTED windshield.

tan

Old 12-11-2000, 09:33 PM

I have 25% all the way around and a sun stripe that is over 8 inches, and have only had one cop warn me, but nothing became of it.
Old 12-11-2000, 10:31 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I go to school in Mass, but live in CT. I think in Mass, the darkest you can have in the front is 35% and 25% in the back. In CT, I think nothing is allwoed in the front and 50% in the back. I have 35% all around and wish I had gone darker. Like 25%. Oh well, next car.
Old 12-12-2000, 05:57 AM

me

In NJ your not allowed to have any tint on your front windows..
gotta take mine off to pass inspection next month..

Ant
Old 12-12-2000, 06:06 AM

Illegal tint here...

I have 20% all 'round and 35% on the windshield. Windshield you say....yes I do. I used to live in Alabama ans tint was the norm. Most of the sunlight generated heat comes thru the windshield, so I tinted it. I have to admit that the first few days I was worried that I had made the wrong choice, but after that I got used to it. Now I only have to wear my shades near dusk when the sun is right in my face, which is kinda rare. As far as getting stopped or pulled over, I haven't had any problems yet. I have gotten a few looks for the popo's, but they mostly go about their way.......they know better. As longs as your not acting stoopid, they won't bother you. The first day I got into DC, I say the cops making some kids strip the tint off the car at an intersection. They looked at me, I looked at them, and went about my biz.

Lovejoy
Old 12-12-2000, 07:23 AM
OG

7% tint here

Unfortunetly, last month I got pulled over for my tint, but i blame myself. I pulled up right next to the cop at a stop light. Usually I try to avoid doing this, but I wasn't thinkin. Oh well. He told me I have 10days to remove or replace the tint or next time he'll shave it off. Pppsshhhh, whatever. I haven't seen him since. It looks good though.
Old 12-12-2000, 01:05 PM

Well, I just bring my car to the tint shop to redo my tint. I'm getting 20% all around, except for the windshield. First off though, the tint shop had to remove my old tint from another shop. Seem like either the last shop didn't do a good job, or the tint is getting old; it's been 3 years since I had the tint. It's starting to "bubble." So, might as well redo the whole tint process. I'll keep you inform when I get my car back on how it looks with the 20% tint on my black car.
Old 12-12-2000, 01:16 PM

I did 50% all the way around (except for the front)... its illegal in NY, but its not too much about the limit so cops are never sure to question it. it looks good and ever and the stock tint on the front goes well with it. before and after pics in my sig
Old 12-12-2000, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I know it varies from state to state. I'm not sure if I got the percentage right. I think I have 35% for the two front windows, and 25% for the two rear window/rear windshield as well. I want to redo the whole tint because it's seem like the tint is starting to go bad. Anyway, I want to maybe get 25% or 20% all around, except the front windshield of course. Is 20% dark enough? I think it's illegal in my state to have 20% for the front two windows. However, I hardly see anyone get pulled over for just the tint. It's usually they got stopped for speeding, or something else, and then the cop would add the tint violation in. Anyone of you guys/gals running with illegal tint job? Have you got caught yet? I'm not too worry about getting caught, I got myself a good lawyer who can usually help me "erase" any tickets. Btw, I have a black car, I would think having 20% all around would like very cool. I just wish that I could somehow picture that. Oh well.
I have 5% all around and 15% on the widshield. I was in Penn. year and a half ago and got pulled for tint and out of state plates, or somthing. I think it was just a profile stop. But here in FL. I have never seen anybody get a ticket for it much less grt pulled for it.
Old 12-12-2000, 06:07 PM

I got my car back, and it does look darker. However, it's already dark outside, so I have to until the next day to see how well it really turned out. I say 20% all around is pretty good. For those of you who have 5% all around, isn't it hard to see at night, specially if you are backing up?
Old 12-12-2000, 06:32 PM

I've got illegal tint on my windows... well for California law that is. 50% all the way around. Looks nice, you can barely see through it in the daytime unless your sunroof is open, and at night it's pitch black.
Old 12-12-2000, 06:53 PM

Re: me

Originally posted by Ant95se
In NJ your not allowed to have any tint on your front windows..
gotta take mine off to pass inspection next month..

Ant
Oh so that's how the NJ guys do it...I was wondering how everyone here in NJ (I'm in NJ too) have tint and pass inspection...What do you put it back on after you pass??