General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Dead 2k2 at the dealer.....have some info..please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dead 2k2 at the dealer.....have some info..please help!!!!!

Hey guys...2k2 at the dealer...suffered from power loss..running exteremly hot last night...It just wasn't accelerating. Motor kept stubmling as i drove. Anyway report from the dealer today with the engine codes revealed

-Misfire in multible cylinders
-Failed O2 sensors
-Running extemely lean..

Now..theyre blaiming my Random tech Cat. I totally forgot about that since its been on there for about 8 months. They dont wanna put it under warantee. BUT ive been having MAF problems....could the MAF cause the engine to run lean due to a bad reading...since it ran lean....it ran so hot..blowing my 02 sensors..and also possibly damdaged my Random Tech cat? I wonder because it has such a hard time revving..my co-worker suggested my CAT could be plugged up.

Or...did the random tech Cat get plugged up..and blow the whole O2 system...which is a likely cause?..what can i prove..what can i disprove? I need all the help i can get...please...im gonna be fighting a long battle with this. Oh..they also said my 1/0Gauge wire may have caused a POWER SURGE shorting some electrical systems. Im pretty sure that theory is easy to dis-proove. Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2002, 08:25 PM

Re: Dead 2k2 at the dealer.....have some info..please help!!!!!

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
Hey guys...2k2 at the dealer...suffered from power loss..running exteremly hot last night...It just wasn't accelerating. Motor kept stubmling as i drove. Anyway report from the dealer today with the engine codes revealed

-Failed O2 sensors
-Running extemely lean..

Now..theyre blaiming my Random tech Cat. I totally forgot about that since its been on there for about 8 months. They dont wanna put it under warantee. BUT ive been having MAF problems....could the MAF cause the engine to run lean due to a bad reading...since it ran lean....it ran so hot..blowing my 02 sensors..and also possibly damdaged my Random Tech cat? I wonder because it has such a hard time revving..my co-worker suggested my CAT could be plugged up.

Or...did the random tech Cat get plugged up..and blow the whole O2 system...which is a likely cause?..what can i prove..what can i disprove? I need all the help i can get...please...im gonna be fighting a long battle with this. Oh..they also said my 1/0Gauge wire may have caused a POWER SURGE shorting some electrical systems. Im pretty sure that theory is easy to dis-proove. Any ideas?
Just to mention..if i do fix it....im keeping in mind..that i probably fried the seals...or gaskets runnign it so hot for 15+ miles..up a hill....so i guess it wont be worth keeping in the long-run. right?..wrong?
Old 07-27-2002, 05:37 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Put your OEM cat on and take it to a different dealer...
Old 07-27-2002, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Put your OEM cat on and take it to a different dealer...
thats what im thinking.but the service guy said he talked to the compnay to see if they had any ideas..blah blah blah..already talked about it being out of warantee...blah blah...I hope they didnt punch it in on my car's VIN number record..if theres a thing..
Old 07-27-2002, 08:55 PM

Sounds like your MAFS to me. Go to www.car-parts.com and get one pretty cheap. If that does not work then like the other guy said, take the cat off and try another dealer.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had a similar problem...I agree with...

MZMTG...replace the stock cat ,reset the ECU and see what happens.

This is what happened to me...on a...
THURS: New RT CAT
SAT: Sh*tty Bosch Ptnum4 plugs in
SUN: Ran fine
MON: Strange hesitation (like it had phlem in its throat)
TUE: CEL *Misfire multiple cylinders *Running lean
Changed plugs to NGK Double Platinums
WED: Ran Fine
THU: Serious hesitation
CEL Same as above + O2 sensors
FRI: Dealer (I have a hook up there)
Diagnosis: Bad Bosch4 that I had put in + 2 of my IGNITION Coils went bad. They changed out all the coils to new ones and the car runs great. That was about 5 months ago. Still have my RTCat and stock O2 sensors in.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:28 AM

There is absolutely NO WAY that your cat has ANYTHING to do with engine misfires and the motor running lean.

The cat is part of the vehicle emmission control system.

The problem is in the fuel delivery/ignition system.

Basically, they are full of $hit, and they don't feel like going through the hassle of warrenty work so they just deny it.

What they are claiming is the same as saying that an aftermarket muffler made a fuel injector go bad...which is complete BS.

Under law, the dealer must PROVE that the aftermarket part in question is the source of the problem. This is very hard to prove, and even harder when the part is not directly related to the system having the problem.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:32 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

What else have you done to the car besides RT cat? Why would you think your MAF is bad? Did you ever take it out for any reason?
Old 07-28-2002, 11:10 AM
Keven97SE

Re: Dead 2k2 at the dealer.....have some info..please help!!!!!

A bad MAF could cause the car to either run lean or rich. If the car ran overly rich for a long period of time, the additional fuel would go out the tailpipe. Since the catalyst inside cats operates at a very high temperature, the unburnt fuel ignites at the cat and increases the temp enough to literally melt the catalyst, causing the cat to clog. This is THE most common failure mode for catalytic converters. The igniting fuel also likely fried the O2 sensors.

My guess is the bad MAF caused the cat to clog, which resulted in the hot exhaust temperatures. The bad MAF also killed the O2 sensors.

I would reinstall the stock cat and take it to another dealer. Force them to replace the faulty MAF and O2 sensors if they are indeed bad. The RT cat is almost certainly dead+clogged, and is a casualty (you'll have to eat the cost on that one).

Question is, how did your MAF fail? Have you messed with it in any way (ever removed it, installed a cone filter, etc)?

-Failed O2 sensors
-Running extemely lean..

Old 07-29-2002, 11:25 AM

I did have an aftermarket intake on.....*bows head in shame*....and over-oiled my K&N filter...but just a little bit! Thats where the problem started months ago. Thank you very much for your everyones advice. I know that I need as much information as possible to overcome these dealerships. I really appreciate it I'll be asking for my car back...or towed back to my house today.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:27 PM
nm

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Under law, the dealer must PROVE that the aftermarket part in question is the source of the problem. This is very hard to prove, and even harder when the part is not directly related to the system having the problem.
Where is this law listed? Is this state(as in each state has their own version) or a federal law?
It would be nice to have that handy so when you get BS you can say that under statute x subsection y the dealer is required to provide proof in writing that the contested part is the direct cause of the malfunction.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:15 AM

Update!

So I finally had my car towed home. Took off my Random Tech catylic converter. I held my Random Tech and my OEM cat up in the light. They both let light shine through. Seems like my Random Tech is clear. So my cat causing the problem is def. out of the question. Now..its up to nissan..i tow my car back monday morning. We'll see what happens. Since its "pinging" thats what the service guy said!. I guess thats more of a permanent damadge thing since i ran the engine like that. What should I expect. If its the MAF causing my motor to go hay-wire, can they re-program it to run correctly? If yes.. did the motor suffer some permanent damdage from running about 15 miles in this malfucntioning condition..not to mention the time they let the car idle at the service place. Im worried that my 30,000 investment just went sour.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:11 AM

Re: Update!

So I finally had my car towed home. Took off my Random Tech catylic converter. I held my Random Tech and my OEM cat up in the light. They both let light shine through. Seems like my Random Tech is clear. So my cat causing the problem is def. out of the question. Now..its up to nissan..i tow my car back monday morning. We'll see what happens. Since its "pinging" thats what the service guy said!. I guess thats more of a permanent damadge thing since i ran the engine like that. What should I expect. If its the MAF causing my motor to go hay-wire, can they re-program it to run correctly? If yes.. did the motor suffer some permanent damdage from running about 15 miles in this malfucntioning condition..not to mention the time they let the car idle at the service place. Im worried that my 30,000 investment just went sour.

the "pinging" or detonation that your car experienced was most likely VERY light in nature. The VQ motor has a built in knock sensor which will retard timing at partial throttle when it detects detonation, so idling your car would have no negative effect on your motor. I'd assume that your car is probably fine and will be pretty much back to perfect when they fix the problem. If you want to be sure, simply do a compression test when you get the car back.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by nm

Where is this law listed? Is this state(as in each state has their own version) or a federal law?
It would be nice to have that handy so when you get BS you can say that under statute x subsection y the dealer is required to provide proof in writing that the contested part is the direct cause of the malfunction.
I'm pretty sure it's federal law. Not sure where it's listed...but I can do some research and find out.
Old 08-03-2002, 06:44 AM

4th gen FAQ:

Posted by clee130 on 10-18-2001 08:52 PM
Will mods void my warranty?
The warranty is only void if the dealer can prove that the aftermarket part CAUSED the problem in question.

Read this for more information: http://www.usdieselparts.com/mmwa.htm

This is federal law. Don't let any dealer try to tell you different, if they do, go to another one or call Nissan USA and get them to give the service manager a little call too.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=34138 (Credit: mzmtg )

Warranty DENIAL due to MODS!
============================
Explanation of what you can do.

http://www.sema.org/warranty/

Credit: IceY2K1
Old 08-03-2002, 07:03 AM

I did have an aftermarket intake on.....*bows head in shame*....and over-oiled my K&N filter...but just a little bit! Thats where the problem started months ago.
I think I've found the culprit, Watson!
Old 08-03-2002, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by pocketrocket
4th gen FAQ:

The warranty is only void if the dealer can prove that the aftermarket part CAUSED the problem in question.

This is federal law. Don't let any dealer try to tell you different, if they do, go to another one or call Nissan USA and get them to give the service manager a little call too.

Thanks bud...you took care of the research for me.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:49 AM

the "pinging" or detonation that your car experienced was most likely VERY light in nature. The VQ motor has a built in knock sensor which will retard timing at partial throttle when it detects detonation, so idling your car would have no negative effect on your motor. I'd assume that your car is probably fine and will be pretty much back to perfect when they fix the problem. If you want to be sure, simply do a compression test when you get the car back.
darn..i was hoping i'd hear.." you need a new motor " ....or "you'll probably get a new car" Oh well thats good news regardless.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:24 PM

make the car look as stock as possible and take it to a dealer far far away
Old 08-03-2002, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
make the car look as stock as possible and take it to a dealer far far away
heheh i think the ninja bumper pretty much gives everything away....but yea..they typed it in on the computer..and looks as if its logged into my warantee file...
Old 08-04-2002, 03:22 AM

uh oh...... that dont' sound too great... try another dealer first then see what htey say. they might have entered it in their own computer.. i heard in most cases they dont' network the info.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by pocketrocket
4th gen FAQ:

The law is very nice, but it doesn't help to get the car back on the road any quicker, now does it? One has to consider what makes sense here. How many 2k2 Maximas just stop running and can't be driven?

The co. that built the faulty intake should be liable whether or not they put some hokey disclaimer on the packaging. If they don't make good that just shows what kind of co. they are and how they don't really care much more than getting your coyne for their product. Just like car lots that put not responsible for your car on the ticket. You think that really holds up? Of course not. Something happens to your car, they are liable.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:01 AM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine
<snip> The co. that built the faulty intake should be liable </snip>
I'm assuming you're refering to the K&N? - You really think they (K&N) should be responible for people using their product wrong and not following instructions? Crazy...

I took a bath with my hair drier now I'm going to sue the company that made it. Hey it's their product and they should be responsible for it!

ZZZZzzzzzz - What's that smell? Chicken?
Old 08-04-2002, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by Wizeguy

I'm assuming you're refering to the K&N? - You really think they (K&N) should be responible for people using their product wrong and not following instructions? Crazy...

I took a bath with my hair drier now I'm going to sue the company that made it. Hey it's their product and they should be responsible for it!

ZZZZzzzzzz - What's that smell? Chicken?
Who's talking about suing? A product breaks, the mfg should replace it. It's bad design and ruins a 21k car, they ought to fix it before they ruin other people's cars as well. Or a person can also be a jellyfish and say shucks, I guess I need to spend thousands in repairs on a 2k2 car.

As far as I know K&N (whose products are *&^*& I took mine out) made the filter, not the intake.

Not to worry about your hair drier, just make sure you've got GFCI's installed.
Old 08-04-2002, 10:10 AM

I want chicken too
Pity I've got a leg of lamb for dinner tonight (roast bay roast!).

I'm on randomtechnology.com and there's no mention of the cat as off-road only, it says this though:
Under Federal EPA regulation, replacement of original catalytic converters is allowed only if the original converter(s) is missing, or the vehicle has more than 50,000 miles or is at least five years old and the need for a replacement has been established and documented, or a local inspection program has determined the existing converter is in need of replacement.

You need to get your old cat, pound it against a rock and say that you needed to replace it because it got damaged an opted for an aftermarket cat that meets standards established by the Environmental Protection Agency, (EPA) since you love the ozone and the government.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Who's talking about suing? A product breaks, the mfg should replace it. It's bad design and ruins a 21k car, they ought to fix it before they ruin other people's cars as well. Or a person can also be a jellyfish and say shucks, I guess I need to spend thousands in repairs on a 2k2 car.

As far as I know K&N (whose products are *&^*& I took mine out) made the filter, not the intake.

Not to worry about your hair drier, just make sure you've got GFCI's installed.
huh...i dunno about that...ive seen in 2 magazines where NISSANS MAF IS ESPECIALLY SENSITIVE TO OIL FROM AFTERMARKET FILTERS. its the OIL not the filter..i belive K&N has a good thing but...the oil from other brand filters seem to **** off Nissans MAF more often..or should i say...aggravate nissans MAF more often. My buddy went even more bezerk with the K&N oil on his 2001 corolla...and the MAF was fine..oil all over the inside of his intake...same goes for my friends mitsu.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:40 PM

UPdate!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=144577