General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need Help! Stillen Y Pipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 12:24 PM
www.autotalk.com

Need Help! Stillen Y Pipe Question

In January i purchased this Stillen Y pipe from this dude(geosmax391) on the org. Same dude who was "seeling" a big brake kit last week. He had a 99 Maxima. After I got the y pipe, it was only 1 piece and i was not able to install it in my 1997 maxima. Is there any way i can purchase the remaining piece for that y pipe?

I have also heard that cali spec maxes have 1 piece y pipe compared to fed spec which have 2 pieces. Will this y pipe(1 piece) fit 2k-2k1 maxes also?

Also if someone with a cali spec max got 2 pieces and have that 1 piece sitting with them please let me know so i can buy it from you.

If you dont know which piece i am talking about, look at the piece on the LEFT in the picture.
thanks alot guys...

Old 07-28-2002, 04:24 PM
www.autotalk.com

anyone?
Old 07-28-2002, 10:41 PM
2K1HoMax

ok this should clear a few things up. the cali spec has two-pre cats. i have a 2k1 that "had" two pre-cats. now the thing is this the "cali-spec" has a pre-cat in the front of the car which has 5 bolts on it, the y-pipe (the small piece) has only 3. so obviously it wont work. now the stillen piece i have in my car is the bigger part and i heat wrapped the whole thing. now the front piece u can not install if u have a cali-spec period. what i did with my car is this, i took the front pre-cat out (which is like 4" wide) i completely emptied the cat that was inside and grined out some of the rough edges so smooth things out. i do not reccomend any1 do this because in order for u to pass emission u cant have ur check engine light on, and it will stay on.(trust me ive cleared my codes myself several time with my scanner) its basically sayin the front precat isnt workin(its not there so how can it) just leave it alone with the one piece of the pipe. the cale-spec cars are different in more then just pre-cats, their OBD-II system is also programed diff into the computer. u basically have just half a y-pipe. there is a way around it and thats what i did to mine, but u would need to buy a new factory y-pipe assembly in order to get that pre-cat to shut the check engine light off, i dont have to worry about emissions for like 5more yrs so i dont care, but ur lookin at a price tag in the $600plus range to pass. let me know if u need other info

Old 07-29-2002, 12:46 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Put a WTB in the sales forum... anyone with a 99-00 who bought a Stillen Y will probably have it sitting around... Heck someone may even 'donate' it to you...
Old 07-29-2002, 01:16 AM
2K1HoMax

i have mine just sittin around, if u were local id say take it.

Old 07-29-2002, 05:53 AM
www.autotalk.com

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax
i have mine just sittin around, if u were local id say take it.
Thanks alot everyone for replying.

Hey 2k1HoMax, where are you located at?
Old 07-29-2002, 06:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Max4Speed

Thanks alot everyone for replying.

Hey 2k1HoMax, where are you located at?

Bam there you go partner you found someone now buy it and let me know for you can come over the pad!!!
Old 07-29-2002, 09:18 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Feel the love around here...