General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 09:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Originally posted by nismomax007
yes I did, but it's not the same everywere. I also work for a PD and let me tell you, Things are different everywhere. Unless you're a squirly cop. As long as you drive responsibly, you can't please everyone! I've heard people call for people driving too fast when the caller is actually going 45 in 55 speed limit. now i think the person going slower is just as unsafe as the person flying down the road. Just telling you my thoughts.
i have been reported to the police several times for speeding in neighborhoods, at one point, i had police at both ends of my road, hidden, radaring me as i backed out of my driveway and "sped" down to the stop sign. they were all hidden from sight and it was at night so they thought i didnt know they were there (radar detector told me they were, but it didnt affect my driving). their results? i travel typically 5-10mph BELOW the speed limit in my neighborhood (limit is 25, i'm usually around 15-20), but because of the nature of my car, it appears i'm going much faster..this has happened on several occassions where i was driving like always and had people running out of their house screaming at me to slow down. to the people that took a stroll to my house and told my parents they wanted my lisence suspended, i now antogize them by revving loudly by their house, not shifting to second (20 in first is rather loud) and honking and waving whenever i see them.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Originally posted by MaDMaX024

i have been reported to the police several times for speeding in neighborhoods, at one point, i had police at both ends of my road, hidden, radaring me as i backed out of my driveway and "sped" down to the stop sign. they were all hidden from sight and it was at night so they thought i didnt know they were there (radar detector told me they were, but it didnt affect my driving). their results? i travel typically 5-10mph BELOW the speed limit in my neighborhood (limit is 25, i'm usually around 15-20), but because of the nature of my car, it appears i'm going much faster..this has happened on several occassions where i was driving like always and had people running out of their house screaming at me to slow down. to the people that took a stroll to my house and told my parents they wanted my lisence suspended, i now antogize them by revving loudly by their house, not shifting to second (20 in first is rather loud) and honking and waving whenever i see them.

HAHA! You are a great neighbor huh? Had a guy in a LOUD truck doing that in my neighborhood the other night. Racing from one end of the street to other, back and forth. It was LOUD. I called a buddy to see if he could catch him, but when I came outside the driver saw me and left. I don't have a takehome police vehicle, but if I did he would have been toast. Not on my street my friend, not on my street. Did you get a ticket that night?
Old 08-02-2002, 09:53 AM

Yes and no to the officer here. He really wasnt doing anything that could be proved to be speeding. Even if it had gone to court, to raise reasonable doubt the questions like "How do you determine mr. emax was speeding? Do you have a certified and calibrated moving radar system in your vehicle? Did he pass you and almost hit you forcing you off the road?" Most likely all the questions would be answered no. And with one person's word against another's on such a minor offense (if it is even considered an offense) will never hold up. Now, if he had passed him and then jammed on his brakes in a case of road rage, then that would be a different story. However lets not forget theres always 2 sides of the story.

If anything I'd more more concerned about the guy following me, and then vandalizing my car then calling the cops.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:02 AM
AIX

i now antogize them by revving loudly by their house, not shifting to second (20 in first is rather loud) and honking and waving whenever i see them.
what a great neighbor~
Old 08-02-2002, 10:02 AM
I'm needing a caw

I tend to agree with Eric. If it actually went to court and the citizen showed up. That citizen is not considered an "expert" in the area of speed indication. You could ask all kinds of questions to raise reasonable doubt.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Originally posted by fst96se

HAHA! You are a great neighbor huh? Had a guy in a LOUD truck doing that in my neighborhood the other night. Racing from one end of the street to other, back and forth. It was LOUD. I called a buddy to see if he could catch him, but when I came outside the driver saw me and left. I don't have a takehome police vehicle, but if I did he would have been toast. Not on my street my friend, not on my street. Did you get a ticket that night?
i was a good neighbor..then all of a sudden i bought my max (i had an E30 BMW previously with an insane exhaust and was never hassled by neighbors when i drove that) and all hell broke loose(people started complaining about me speeding and "going to kill some children"). my driving hadn't changed, the only differences were that for close to two weeks i would have the car taken apart in my driveway daily, and the max was quieter.
i dont race from one end of the street to the other, i just make my car very loud in front of the houses of those who make my life difficult(yelled at me, threatened, stared at me, made things up[they claim i run stop signs, but i do not whether or not anyone on here believes it]) on several occassions. i make it a point to slow down(less than my usual 15-20mph) when those people are outside and looking at me, i look right back at them. you cant tell my parents i'm running stop signs doing 50-60mph when i obviously do not run the stops and i highly doubt there is enough room to get up to 50 or 60 and not expect some sort of retaliation(thats right, i have some issues with people hassling me for no reason). instead, these hypocrits decide that in the middle of the day its alright to speed up and down the street. its ridiculous really.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

I agree with Eric. How can a citizen become an expert in speed calibration, expert in the use use of RADAR, VASCAR, LASER, when an Officer of the law goes through 6 months of extensive training to aquire any use of these instruments! Lets start assuming citizens can be proficient in the use of weapons too! I think this could go on and on. Out!
Old 08-02-2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Yes and no to the officer here. He really wasnt doing anything that could be proved to be speeding. Even if it had gone to court, to raise reasonable doubt the questions like "How do you determine mr. emax was speeding? Do you have a certified and calibrated moving radar system in your vehicle? Did he pass you and almost hit you forcing you off the road?" Most likely all the questions would be answered no. And with one person's word against another's on such a minor offense (if it is even considered an offense) will never hold up. Now, if he had passed him and then jammed on his brakes in a case of road rage, then that would be a different story. However lets not forget theres always 2 sides of the story.

If anything I'd more more concerned about the guy following me, and then vandalizing my car then calling the cops.
I agree! Point is though that something CAN happen. My hypthotical still holds water though! Road Raging would likely hold up in court, you are right.

Oh, and these are not Jury trials here, they usually go before a judge, usually a ****ed off underpaid judge with a bad hair day....everyday. He doesn't like ya, you are stuck. See it every time I go to traffic court (which isn't often thankfully, I usually don't ticket for under 11 over....over 10 they don't usually fight it.)
Old 08-02-2002, 10:49 AM
pro

Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Originally posted by Vinipux

dude, that's why you always look in the mirror after doing stuff like that and make sure the guy's not following you, and if he does just get away, the maxima is very capable of doing that
Not sure if this was said but I did not read the whole thing. You might not want to run away, let me explain. One morning me and my friend are in his altima doing things we shouldn't be doing (I will leave it at that). Well a guy pulls out behind a road there in some old people car (oldsmobile I think). We don't even notice until we finally pull out and see he is following. So the smart people we are we try to run from him beign afraid he will get our plate. We pull 70 in a residental area, run stop signs, and we finally lose him but a minute later he is right there behind us, this time with light flashing from his fron windsheild. Now we know we aer totaly screwed. Like a jack *** my friend jumps out the car, the cop pulls out his gun and says stay right there. My friend puts his hands on the hood and Im just sitting in the car knowing Im totaly screwed. 4 other cops come, have a big talk with us and somehow they let us go with out a ticket or anything. That is why you don't do things like that, I pi*sed my pants twice that day .
Paul
Old 08-02-2002, 10:49 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Originally posted by nismomax007
I agree with Eric. How can a citizen become an expert in speed calibration, expert in the use use of RADAR, VASCAR, LASER, when an Officer of the law goes through 6 months of extensive training to aquire any use of these instruments! Lets start assuming citizens can be proficient in the use of weapons too! I think this could go on and on. Out!
Nope, not 6 months, usually about 4 days at a 3 month academy! Oh and semi-annual or annual refreshers! It is rocket science to build them and design them, not to use them! I could hand you a hand held, tell you what to do with a tuning fork, how to estimate a vehicles speed, and how to pull the trigger! Viola! You can run radar. Oh, I called your BS, and you haven't replied. 22 years old, you would be a noob. Tell me if you are and we can start the "I drive a black and white" club!

Oh, firearms training? Had that LONG before I started to work in Law Enforcement.Hand to Hand, use of asp, take downs, CS, all that stuff I learned in the academy though!
Old 08-02-2002, 11:03 AM

Re: Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Originally posted by pro

Not sure if this was said but I did not read the whole thing. You might not want to run away, let me explain. One morning me and my friend are in his altima doing things we shouldn't be doing (I will leave it at that). Well a guy pulls out behind a road there in some old people car (oldsmobile I think). We don't even notice until we finally pull out and see he is following. So the smart people we are we try to run from him beign afraid he will get our plate. We pull 70 in a residental area, run stop signs, and we finally lose him but a minute later he is right there behind us, this time with light flashing from his fron windsheild. Now we know we aer totaly screwed. Like a jack *** my friend jumps out the car, the cop pulls out his gun and says stay right there. My friend puts his hands on the hood and Im just sitting in the car knowing Im totaly screwed. 4 other cops come, have a big talk with us and somehow they let us go with out a ticket or anything. That is why you don't do things like that, I pi*sed my pants twice that day .
Paul
What I wouldn't give to drive an unmarked car...not just an unmarked car but one that is not a crown vic or lumina or impala, and one that is some color besides white. All the narco guys and some detectives here drive random cars. Tinted windows so you cant see the red blues above the rear view and in the back window. The only tell is the shorty antenna. They don't do any traffic really unless it is flagrant (like yours). I would LOVE to do work traffic in a car like that! I often see really stupid stuff in my personal vehicle, and sometimes wish I could lite em up just to give them a scare!

Glad you learned your lesson. Here 70 in a 25mph residential CAN land you right jail. Your copper friends that stopped you probably wanted a DUI or posession. Oh, and probably to run your licence for warrants. You are lucky my friend!
Old 08-02-2002, 11:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Did you even read my post?
Police around here can't send you a ticket in the mail just based on hearsay. The cop will need to see you personally. I've reported people that have cut me off and the Staties around here say you can file a report but you will have to go to court to prove the case. I figure let them kill themselves than to miss work just to fight this in a court.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:24 AM

Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

It's six months over hear on the East Coast. I was just saying that an Officer goes through many weeks of training to get where he/she is. That Officer holds a certain amount of responsibilty on them. I know when I completed all my trng, I was pretty excited. when you hand that responsibility to a citizen like it's candy, that's an insult to all Officer that go through many tests(Physical Agillity, Backround, Polygraph test, psychological test and many interviews, along with six month academy and FTO.) yes(you caught me), i am a noob, but i have been around Police work all my life, so i do know a few things. If you would like to talk a police business, let me know. I am not trying to be rude in any way.

Nismo
Old 08-02-2002, 11:47 AM
pro

Re: Re: Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

What I wouldn't give to drive an unmarked car...not just an unmarked car but one that is not a crown vic or lumina or impala, and one that is some color besides white. All the narco guys and some detectives here drive random cars. Tinted windows so you cant see the red blues above the rear view and in the back window. The only tell is the shorty antenna. They don't do any traffic really unless it is flagrant (like yours). I would LOVE to do work traffic in a car like that! I often see really stupid stuff in my personal vehicle, and sometimes wish I could lite em up just to give them a scare!

Glad you learned your lesson. Here 70 in a 25mph residential CAN land you right jail. Your copper friends that stopped you probably wanted a DUI or posession. Oh, and probably to run your licence for warrants. You are lucky my friend!
Who said anything about DUI or posession ? If I was to drive a undercover car I would drive a moddified civic so all the stupid people would race me because they would think I was fast.
Paul
Old 08-02-2002, 12:13 PM
Got Projectors?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Originally posted by MaDMaX024

i was a good neighbor..then all of a sudden i bought my max (i had an E30 BMW previously with an insane exhaust and was never hassled by neighbors when i drove that) and all hell broke loose(people started complaining about me speeding and "going to kill some children"). my driving hadn't changed, the only differences were that for close to two weeks i would have the car taken apart in my driveway daily, and the max was quieter.
i dont race from one end of the street to the other, i just make my car very loud in front of the houses of those who make my life difficult(yelled at me, threatened, stared at me, made things up[they claim i run stop signs, but i do not whether or not anyone on here believes it]) on several occassions. i make it a point to slow down(less than my usual 15-20mph) when those people are outside and looking at me, i look right back at them. you cant tell my parents i'm running stop signs doing 50-60mph when i obviously do not run the stops and i highly doubt there is enough room to get up to 50 or 60 and not expect some sort of retaliation(thats right, i have some issues with people hassling me for no reason). instead, these hypocrits decide that in the middle of the day its alright to speed up and down the street. its ridiculous really.
I feel you man. A couple years back when I had my first car (slow-*** Lumina) some "responsible neighbors" decided to go behind my back and tell my mother that I'm a wreckless driver and that I'm speeding, and that I'll hit their kids and on and on and on.

Result? My mother doesn't trust me and threatens to take my car and so on and so forth. Meanwhile, I refuse to ride with my mother anymore because she runs stop signs, drives 20 over in the neighborhood and doesn't think a thing about it. What really ****ed me off (besides my own parents not believing me) was the fact that almost every "adult" in my neighborhood drives much faster through there than I do - and just because I was younger I got targeted.

I think more parents need to look after their kids than letting them run free in the streets and wander in the middle of the road (when everybody has .5-1.0 acre yards and sidewalks!!!). I live on a hill and I had to wait like 5 minutes to back out of my own driveway to wait for these 2 kids in a powerwheels Jeep to figure out how to turn around and get the **** outta the street so I wouldn't hit them! I pulled up next to them and asked where their parents were. "I don't know" - turns out they lived down another street, out of sight, no supervision. The kids couldn't have been more than 6 years old each.

Sorry for the rant - I never felt avenged from my experience...

Old 08-02-2002, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

if the witness is willing to testify in court, you could be convicted of whatever misdemeanor.

just request all the continuances that you can at the LAST minute, that way that bastard has to come back for another court date.

i'm sure you can file motions to discover who he is. you'll get his full home address, etc.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:38 PM
AIX

Who said anything about DUI or posession ? If I was to drive a undercover car I would drive a moddified civic so all the stupid people would race me because they would think I was fast.
only if..they'd catch a LOT of people that way
Old 08-02-2002, 01:38 PM
pro

Originally posted by zaino2k
if the witness is willing to testify in court, you could be convicted of whatever misdemeanor.

just request all the continuances that you can at the LAST minute, that way that bastard has to come back for another court date.

i'm sure you can file motions to discover who he is. you'll get his full home address, etc.
If it was like that I could say I saw you doing 160 MPH in a school zone by my house. Then you hit my side door and took off. Now you get arrested and I get that dent on my door fixed , you can't prove other wise.
Paul
Old 08-05-2002, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by zaino2k

Why would you want his full home address? Don't you think that if he testified against you, and then mysterious vandalisms started to occur on his home and car, that the police would put 2 and 2 together? Real bright buddy, real bright.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:34 AM

Why would you want his full home address? Don't you think that if he testified against you, and then mysterious vandalisms started to occur on his home and car, that the police would put 2 and 2 together? Real bright buddy, real bright.
Once again you must prove who did the vandalisms. If you catch it on video, then sure it would be easy. No offense, but the police in my area arent exactly the brightest in putting 2 and 2 together. But merely because you have a court case vs. somebody else does not generate enough evidence to prove that you were the doer. Chances are if this guy did something to wrong you, most likely he has other enemies too. I know from experience.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

If you guys haven't figured it out by now...
Old 08-05-2002, 08:50 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

So, what's the answer?

IATL
Old 08-05-2002, 08:55 AM
I'm needing a caw

Answer? "There is no spoon"

Originally posted by bill99gxe
So, what's the answer?

IATL
Old 08-05-2002, 08:58 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"