General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

another gas related thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 07:47 PM
RKS

another gas related thread

I used supreme gas from Shell today and the 2K2 was knocking badly on heavy acceleration in 1st gear. Can the weather effect or cause the knocking since it was about 94 degrees today with about 50% humidity?
I also let a drop of gas fall on the rear quarter panel and I couldn't get off the mark it left even though I tried immediately after the spill, is this normal and how can it be removed?
Old 08-01-2002, 08:30 PM

Re: another gas related thread

Originally posted by RKS
I used supreme gas from Shell today and the 2K2 was knocking badly on heavy acceleration in 1st gear. Can the weather effect or cause the knocking since it was about 94 degrees today with about 50% humidity?
I also let a drop of gas fall on the rear quarter panel and I couldn't get off the mark it left even though I tried immediately after the spill, is this normal and how can it be removed?

was the heck outa it, im not sure about the knocking though i live in louisiana the humidity here is proly twice that with the same 94deg temp.... i notice the knock also but only when i was using 20/50 weight oil that my stupid dealer**** was putting in when i switched to 5/30 syn valvoline knock disapeared.....

archie
Old 08-02-2002, 12:37 AM
ivelweyz

Re: another gas related thread

Originally posted by RKS
All I know is that SHELL is probably the biggest piece of gasoline **** in the world, I'd take Amoco regular over Shell supreme...

Old 08-02-2002, 08:08 AM

Re: Re: another gas related thread

Originally posted by ivelweyz

All I know is that SHELL is probably the biggest piece of gasoline **** in the world, I'd take Amoco regular over Shell supreme...

Why? Do they use different refineries? Different beakdown processes?
Old 08-02-2002, 08:54 AM
Lightly modded

Re: Re: another gas related thread

Originally posted by ivelweyz

why? where are you getting this info from? any numbers to back it up? i use shell supreme, and i have had 0 problems relating to pinging, acceleration.....

seriously, if you know a website that did some test, i would love to see it. can we get some sort of gas analysis sticky too?
Old 08-02-2002, 09:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: another gas related thread

Originally posted by 95maxrider

why? where are you getting this info from?
Well, there's always this:

http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSTopNews/shell2_may27-cp.html

The infamous bad fuel additive that Shell used which destroyed fuel systems. That's enough to stop me from using them.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: another gas related thread

Yup, I read it from the Vancouver Sun also.

Originally posted by Myrv

The infamous bad fuel additive that Shell used which destroyed fuel systems. That's enough to stop me from using them.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:15 AM
Lightly modded

hmmm, interesting. but since i dont live in canada or use bronze gas, i think ill be fine. thanks for the article though.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ya, Shell really screwed up the bronze stuff, but Shell gas has much less sulpher than either Petro-Can or Esso gas. High sulpher levels are bad for your fuel and exhaust systems. Shell gas is consistantly is the 10 ppm range, the other 2 in the 250-300 ppm range. Current regs in this country (Canada) allow for 500 ppm, but in 2 years that drops to 30 ppm.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:36 AM

I saw on Dateline a few years back Some independent owners were adding water to their supply to lower prices.