General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

This is kind of stupid but I am pretty paranoid right now about getting in trouble. I passed a car that was driving below/right at the speed limit on a one lane road. I passed the guy real quicky and got up to about 30 MPH over the speed limit and then slowed down do about 15 over. Now I may be peronoid but I think the guy may have followed me when I stoped at a friends house an few blocks down. I saw a car slow down right behind my parked car and then turned around.

So now I am wondering if this guy got my plate # and reported me or something? Could I even get in trouble for something stupid like this? I thought a cop would actually have to cathc you in the act, you kniow? The last thing I need is a letter in the mail telling me something horrible

Thanks for your feed back
Old 07-29-2002, 10:29 PM

Unless he got you on video, even if he got your plate, that does not prove that you were driving the car. You're in the clear.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
Unless he got you on video, even if he got your plate, that does not prove that you were driving the car. You're in the clear.
Now thats what I wanted hear, thank you Eric! BTW how is my UDP doing these days?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:42 PM

can't prove ****, he was probably just admiring(sp) your car.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:43 AM

Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Originally posted by emax95
This is kind of stupid but I am pretty paranoid right now about getting in trouble. I passed a car that was driving below/right at the speed limit on a one lane road. I passed the guy real quicky and got up to about 30 MPH over the speed limit and then slowed down do about 15 over. Now I may be peronoid but I think the guy may have followed me when I stoped at a friends house an few blocks down. I saw a car slow down right behind my parked car and then turned around.

So now I am wondering if this guy got my plate # and reported me or something? Could I even get in trouble for something stupid like this? I thought a cop would actually have to cathc you in the act, you kniow? The last thing I need is a letter in the mail telling me something horrible

dude, that's why you always look in the mirror after doing stuff like that and make sure the guy's not following you, and if he does just get away, the maxima is very capable of doing that
Old 07-30-2002, 05:57 AM
It's chrome alright...

can't do anything

but if I were your friend, I'd be on the lookout for that car in his neighborhood. He might have written down your plate, might not, but he knows where your friend lives and the driver probably thinks that where *you* live, and if he's looking to go road-rage the only target he'll have is the house.... do *you* remember the other guy's plate? If there's vandalism, you'll know who to go after.

sidenote: never stop if you think someone if following you. He might be looking to get you, or he might just be trying to figure out where you live.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Originally posted by Vinipux

dude, that's why you always look in the mirror after doing stuff like that and make sure the guy's not following you, and if he does just get away, the maxima is very capable of doing that
Remember when some old ***** wrote down my licence plate cause I yelled at him?
Old 07-30-2002, 06:02 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

in know someone in CT, who passed a guy on a motorcycle, and the guy on the cycle reported them, and they got a ticket. maybe it depends what state you're in.
Old 07-30-2002, 06:03 AM

Re: Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Originally posted by AndyXXL

Remember when some old ***** wrote down my licence plate cause I yelled at him?
that was the funniest thing, he wrote down your plate and everything
Old 07-30-2002, 06:15 AM
Administrator

in CT all bets are off.. they can report you by just your plate.. and you can get a ticket.. will it get thrown out in court? YES. .but its still a waste of your valuable time
Old 07-30-2002, 07:55 AM
Very sound, Mike

Another take on why that person *might* have followed you was to see where you lived.

He probably saw your modded Max and thought, "Oh yeah, i'm getting new rims this weekend"

You know how it goes.

edit: I meant the person might be eyeing your car to steal your stuff.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Vinipux

The thing is I was watching the guy in my rear wiew. He kept going the speed he/she was going. I kept looking back and then I saw the car pull into a driveway. I stoped looking and then about a 1/4 mile later I pulled into my friends street. I drove over to his house and stopped for a second, then I saw headlights slowly comming up behind me. The car slowed down a little wase behing me and then turned aroung The car looked very simaler to the one I passed but I thought I passed a 95ish camry and this was a malibu (I think). Either way it got me nervous, who knows it could have been just someone driving around or something?

I remember 5 years back I was clowning around big time in a quite neiberhood. Then 20 minutes later 3 cops pulled up and went crazy on me. They wrote me a ticket for 3 violations and told me I had to go to court. I went to court and I know the judge personaly and he haites me(me and his daughter hada dispute). So he gave me a $369 ticket and made me take drivers retraining. This is why I am really paroniod about this kind of thing. I think if someone reports you to a cop acop has to come to the seen of the area and write you a ticket there. I live 2 towns over from where this minor incedent happened.
Old 07-30-2002, 09:20 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

In Ohio the cops can't write you up based up a citizen complaint without evidence (cop must personally witness incident, I think)...

But if more than 10 people phone in to the highway aptrol and complain about a stoopid mad *** doing over a hundred mph, don't be suprised to have a clump of cop cars catch up with you.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:26 AM

If there was a cop on this message board, would he log every IP of every user that was racing and find out where you are physically located and give them all tickets? I don't think so buddy, the cop has to be present and actually witness the incident. If just the license plate number can get you in trouble, hell, i'd write down these people at my school and get them for indicent exposure in a crowded parking lot just for the fun of it...
Old 07-30-2002, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by korupter
If there was a cop on this message board, would he log every IP of every user that was racing and find out where you are physically located and give them all tickets? I don't think so buddy, the cop has to be present and actually witness the incident. If just the license plate number can get you in trouble, hell, i'd write down these people at my school and get them for indicent exposure in a crowded parking lot just for the fun of it...
Old 07-30-2002, 10:34 AM

They can file a citizen's complant, which gets forwarded to DMV/RMV and they might send a letter stating that your actions were reported. They can't do anything about it.
The only way is if the person you passes was an off-duty cop or well connected politician with a log up their a$$......
Old 07-30-2002, 10:36 AM
I'm needing a caw

You mean two lane(one lane each way?) And is the lane strip a double solid or single broken line?? Because it's not illegal to pass using the oncoming lane. Nor is it illegal to exceed the speed limit to pass another car.(unless of course the yellow line is a double solid)

But let's say you did receive a ticket. It's just your word against theirs. If if that focker is gonna waste my time and have me go to court, you had better believe I'm gonna suponea their **** too and make them waste 1/2 their day also. Plus if the DON'T show, it's automatic grounds for dismissal(I believe, as the the court has no one to prosocute you(no case) )
Old 07-30-2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by 2DMax
They can file a citizen's complant, which gets forwarded to DMV/RMV and they might send a letter stating that your actions were reported. They can't do anything about it.
The only way is if the person you passes was an off-duty cop or well connected politician with a log up their a$$......
The guy was driving way to slow to be a off duty cop And the car was to junky for it to be a politician
Old 07-30-2002, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Nor is it illegal to exceed the speed limit to pass another car.
Yes it is. I remember in driver's ed that we were taught we cannot speed even if passing (yeah right).

Emax- I didnt buy your UDP. Anyway I know from experience I've had my tags called in on many occasions, most noticeably the last one with my road rage I drove over a curb with. If a cop does not witness it they dont have anything. They can and will try to confront you about it to get you to confess but if they dont have anything then they cant do squat.

Now, if you drive over somebody and drive away and theres 20 witnesses and they appear in court and identify you driving the car, then yes you're screwed.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:42 AM

If there was a cop on this message board, would he log every IP of every user that was racing and find out where you are physically located and give them all tickets?
...actually there are a few constables who are members of the org....
Old 07-30-2002, 10:47 AM
I'm needing a caw

What you were taught and what is law might be different. I do believe the law allows you to exceed the speed limit when using the oncoming lane to pass. Because if you just go at the limit, it exposes you to oncoming traffic for too long. I'm about 80% sure it's legal to exceed the limit to pass even on multilane freeways also as long as you reduce your speed back down again.

Yes it is. I remember in driver's ed that we were taught we cannot speed even if passing (yeah right).

Old 07-30-2002, 10:52 AM

Emax- I didnt buy your UDP. Anyway I know from experience I've had my tags called in on many occasions, most noticeably the last one with my road rage I drove over a curb with. If a cop does not witness it they dont have anything. They can and will try to confront you about it to get you to confess but if they dont have anything then they cant do squat.

Ohh all right, I confused you with Kevin wong. BTW how did a cop confront you about your road rage incident and what happened?
Old 07-30-2002, 10:59 AM
ivelweyz

There are tons of psychos on the streets, the guy that followed you might have been one of them. He may have followed you to see where you got out and now he may come back with his posse to teach you a lesson. Don't laugh, one of my friends did the exact same thing, next week the guy came back with three other guys and vandalized his house destroyed his ****ing Caddy...

Old 07-30-2002, 11:10 AM
It's chrome alright...

might vary state-to-state, or the law might have changed since you got your license, but in NH it is illegal to exceed the posted speed limit unless you're an emergency vehicle

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...98/nhspeed.htm

Originally posted by Jeff92se
What you were taught and what is law might be different. I do believe the law allows you to exceed the speed limit when using the oncoming lane to pass. Because if you just go at the limit, it exposes you to oncoming traffic for too long. I'm about 80% sure it's legal to exceed the limit to pass even on multilane freeways also as long as you reduce your speed back down again.

Old 07-30-2002, 11:18 AM

law states that it's illegal to exceed the speed limit... but it also states that overtaking a car on the highway must be quick and safe. Sort of a predicament don't you think...
Old 07-30-2002, 11:30 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

It is my understanding that the speed limit is in force while you are overtaking another driver pretty much universally. Definitely in OH (ORC s4511) and in the UK.

If you think about it, if you can exceed the speed limit on a freeway if you are passing someone then anybody who is in the center or left lanes could claim this, as they had to have been passing SOMEONE at that speed!
Old 07-30-2002, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by ivelweyz
There are tons of psychos on the streets, the guy that followed you might have been one of them. He may have followed you to see where you got out and now he may come back with his posse to teach you a lesson. Don't laugh, one of my friends did the exact same thing, next week the guy came back with three other guys and vandalized his house destroyed his ****ing Caddy...
Who ever it is better bring a big posse becasue there are usualy 5-15 good size guys at this house. A few of my friends live together and there are people always there, usualy lots of them
Old 07-30-2002, 11:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

You guys might be right. I took a quick look though my state's RCW code but haven't found anything.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:50 AM

It wouldn't make sense if a person could just report you for speeding by using your license plate cause then anyone could do it if they didn't like a certain person/ The only thing they can do is report you to the police and then the cop can watch out for you and give you a ticket if he sees you speeding.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:51 AM

All he can do is complain to the police but the police (if they really care) will watch out for you. I'd say don't worry about it.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:45 PM

Now I may be peronoid but I think the guy may have followed me when I stoped at a friends house an few blocks down. I saw a car slow down right behind my parked car and then turned around.
Your post is interesting. Because in PA, must be some loophole, there are people who put dark plastic covers on their plates through which you cannot read the plate. I always thought they must be paranoid or shady, why hide your plate if you are on the up-and-up? Then there are people who post photos of their cars but they blurr out the plate. Why?

If I were you I wouldn't worry about someone taking down your plate. Probably the worst thing that could happen is a cop drives to your residence and knocks on your door and gives you a lecture. I don't think you would get a ticket.

The thing that is troublesome is that you think the dude followed you to your friend's house. That's a person who was driving slowly, but yet was willing to go out of their way to follow you? That's not rational. In the future, if somebody does that, you should attempt to get their plate and a description of their car. It's not cool to follow someone to their house.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:37 PM
AIX

don't worry about it - there isnt anything he could do
Old 07-30-2002, 05:14 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! I will try not to think about it anymore
Old 07-30-2002, 05:40 PM

Haha you sound like me, when I first got my license I think i got onto the highway and hit maybe 90 at like 10 at night, and was afraid a cop helicopter got my lic plate # and/or was going to follow me home...I dunno dude you have like a 30k car, and a few grand worth of mods, why are you so worried about a ticket?
Old 07-30-2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by maximaracer28
Haha you sound like me, when I first got my license I think i got onto the highway and hit maybe 90 at like 10 at night, and was afraid a cop helicopter got my lic plate # and/or was going to follow me home...I dunno dude you have like a 30k car, and a few grand worth of mods, why are you so worried about a ticket?
My insurance is on the verge of being super expensive. One more ticket will put me right into the high risk zone.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:02 PM

You my friend, are sorely missinformed. Allow me to share some CORRECT information with you.

Originally posted by MChapel
...actually there are a few constables who are members of the org....
I am currently a Reserve Police Officer in the city where I live. I have worked in Law Enforcement in Idaho, Utah, and Arizona. Arizona has been several years ago, so I can't remember what the law was there, but I can tell you exactly what the law is in Utah and Idaho, and I suspect it will be similar in MANY other states.

If Joe Citizen witnesses you driving agressively, having road-rage, or any other law-breaking activity, he can call the police and report you. In all cases the officer will visit with the RP (reporting person) and take a statement. In many cases, an officer will be dispatched to the area where it occured, or are sent in the vehicles direction of travel to attempt a stop. If that stop is succesful, the officer CAN issue a citation. Here is the kicker. If the officer does not witness the activity in question, Joe Citizen gets to sign the ticket! Yup, you will end up in court (if you fight the ticket) with Joe on the stand testifying against you.

Now lets say Joe Citizen is a married father of 4, 32 years old, and he is a Certified Public Accountant with no prior arrest record or criminal history. He has had a clean driving record for the past three years.

You are 16-23 years old, you work at Wendy's (or Circuit City), you have a lowered car with a loud exhaust, and you have had three moving violations in the past 3 years.

Judge Judy will look at the complaintant, then look at the defendant, and the citation will stand. Four moving violations in three years, your insurance goes through the roof, maybe you get a thirty day suspension.

Maybe it wouldn't necessarily go down this way, but is the risk worth it? Drive (speed) responsibly, I do! Do so, and all will be well.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:34 PM

Don't worry...you're in the clear like the other guy said. The most they(police Dept.) will do is send a letter which says you were seen driving like this but does not really affect you at all. The Officer needs to see you do it. Even if he has a video, the officer will think he a freak! Probably charge him with wire tapping! Take a chill pill

Nismo
Old 08-02-2002, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by nismomax007
Don't worry...you're in the clear like the other guy said. The most they(police Dept.) will do is send a letter which says you were seen driving like this but does not really affect you at all. The Officer needs to see you do it. Even if he has a video, the officer will think he a freak! Probably charge him with wire tapping! Take a chill pill

Nismo
Did you even read my post?
Old 08-02-2002, 08:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

yes I did, but it's not the same everywere. I also work for a PD and let me tell you, Things are different everywhere. Unless you're a squirly cop. As long as you drive responsibly, you can't please everyone! I've heard people call for people driving too fast when the caller is actually going 45 in 55 speed limit. now i think the person going slower is just as unsafe as the person flying down the road. Just telling you my thoughts.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?

Originally posted by nismomax007
yes I did, but it's not the same everywere. I also work for a PD and let me tell you, Things are different everywhere. Unless you're a squirly cop. As long as you drive responsibly, you can't please everyone! I've heard people call for people driving too fast when the caller is actually going 45 in 55 speed limit. now i think the person going slower is just as unsafe as the person flying down the road. Just telling you my thoughts.
I agree that things are not the same everywhere, but I also talked about three states that I have worked in as a police officer, and two of them are exactly alike. Telling him he is just fine is irresponsible. You dont know the laws of the state he lives in, you may not know the state he lives in. Point is, in some states (specifically the ones I mentioned previously and likely others) it does matter.

You say you work for a PD, are you a Police Officer or a desk clerk? What PD do you work for?

Two weeks ago I was working and was sent on a DUI call. Civillian caller said the driver was all over the road (cruise night on a major cruise street) and was driving extremely aggressively. I made the stop, and found no indicators that the driver was intoxicated or had even been drinking. Just some punk kids being idiots in a car. Which often can be more dangerous, right? Anyway, I told the RP he could sign a citation, but also that by doing so he could end up testifying in court. He said thanks but no thanks, said he was just looking get a DUI off the street. He could have signed the complaint, and based on who he was and who the driver was, I think it would have withstood review. The driver had priors for wreckless endangerment, exceeding posted speedlimit (several), failure to yeild for a traffic control device (red light), and others. A trouble driver for sure!

Oh, and WIRETAPPING?? What?? Hmm, I forgot you said that. That tells me that you are NOT PD

Quick Reply: If someone got my plate # for passing them could I get in trouble?