General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I'm Glad SOME people Understand ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 01:40 PM

THANX PeelBoy and a few Others!!!!!

What I was getting at on the EXTREMELY loooooong thread about SKYLINE in US!!!

I'm happy that some people see and understand the JAPANESE tradition of Sports cars ... the I6 IMAGE that the Skyline and a Whole bunch of other cars is a Tradition, an Image, almost Mythical ...

V8s + were always something for NORTH AMERICA and some EUROPEAN companies ... whereas Japan ... always pride its self of Producing MAD Horses out of 6s and under!

TURBO this, TT that ... Maxing out an engine ...

Example: HONDA ... they use a 4 Cyclinder and SQUEEZE every last Drop of Juice from it! ... S2000, Nuff said!

Its the JAPANESE Way ... for sports cars ... their LUXO vehicles are Different ...

But Sports cars ... TOTALLY different Vision ...
Old 12-12-2000, 01:49 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well let's get into the brass tacks here. The Japanese and Europeans have always been able(out of need) to make power out of small engines.

But it's the HEAD DESIGN that really sets them apart. I'm not just referring to VTEC or VVTI or VTC or whatever(that's another discussion) but just basic head design and casting quality has always been better IMHO in Japanese vs domestics. Now this comes from a guy(me!) who has seen very old Datsun Lseries heads, old mustang V8 heads, Nissan VE30DE heads etc.. The quality in the Japan made heads and intake manifolds have always been better(IMHO) and certainly cleaner(alot less casting flash and debris) Now the Cobra intake manifolds and heads look pretty nice but how long did that take?? Until 1999??

hehe. This should start some good replies
heh
Old 12-12-2000, 01:52 PM

I agree. A V8 would give the Skyline a different image for sure. Part of made it popular is the engine. It reacts very well to boost. It's VERY easy to get ponies out of it..

It's just not an image I would like to see changed.

Although they have a point. How else would you bring it to the US market with out changing the engine? V8 is probably the best choice. Just not my preference.

About the Japanese thing. Isn't that mostly due to the fact that you pay a LOT more money (taxes) for bigger sized engines? That increases the need to get more power out of smaller engines.. That might have something to do with it.

A well built V8 TT with all of the technology that went into the smaller engines would be SWEEEEEEEET..

Originally posted by Empz

What I was getting at on the EXTREMELY loooooong thread about SKYLINE in US!!!

I'm happy that some people see and understand the JAPANESE tradition of Sports cars ... the I6 IMAGE that the Skyline and a Whole bunch of other cars is a Tradition, an Image, almost Mythical ...

V8s + were always something for NORTH AMERICA and some EUROPEAN companies ... whereas Japan ... always pride its self of Producing MAD Horses out of 6s and under!

TURBO this, TT that ... Maxing out an engine ...

Example: HONDA ... they use a 4 Cyclinder and SQUEEZE every last Drop of Juice from it! ... S2000, Nuff said!

Its the JAPANESE Way ... for sports cars ... their LUXO vehicles are Different ...

But Sports cars ... TOTALLY different Vision ...
Old 12-12-2000, 02:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

A TT V8 would be sweet and VERY LARGE! Look how huge the TT nissan V6 is! Freak of nature huge especically with two turbo stuck on each side. This type of motor is going directly against the current rage. The new skyline and supras, as well as the Sub WRX are all going small. The big GT landcrusier freeway blaster is out. Small, fast powerfull,nimble and quick is in. IMHO a IS300 w/ the new manual and turbo kits are going to be the new rage. IT WILL PUT ALMOST EVERYTHING to shame. It might even get into Vette land for speed.

[QUOTE][i]
A well built V8 TT with all of the technology that went into the smaller engines would be SWEEEEEEEET..

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Empz

Old 12-12-2000, 02:49 PM
The missing moderator

I tell you what engine has a nice head design, the Integra R has a beautiful head... hand ported, everything. I've got a ITR head sitting in my living room that's been through over 20K miles of supercharged operation and it's clean as a whistle. It's a beauty.

-Shing

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Well let's get into the brass tacks here. The Japanese and Europeans have always been able(out of need) to make power out of small engines.

But it's the HEAD DESIGN that really sets them apart. I'm not just referring to VTEC or VVTI or VTC or whatever(that's another discussion) but just basic head design and casting quality has always been better IMHO in Japanese vs domestics. Now this comes from a guy(me!) who has seen very old Datsun Lseries heads, old mustang V8 heads, Nissan VE30DE heads etc.. The quality in the Japan made heads and intake manifolds have always been better(IMHO) and certainly cleaner(alot less casting flash and debris) Now the Cobra intake manifolds and heads look pretty nice but how long did that take?? Until 1999??

hehe. This should start some good replies
heh
Old 12-12-2000, 03:08 PM
I'm needing a caw

Shingy, I adjusted the valves on my bro's GSR at 50,000, I swear there was NO CARBON or VARNISH on the top end. Compare that to my sig pic w/ varnish EVERYWHERE. *sigh* I need a new ride man....
Old 12-12-2000, 03:10 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

What did you ever decide to do with that anyway? -->

BTW,

hi how are ya?

Got your e-mail last week....didn't respond....was out a couple of days last week....Wife 2.0 and I took a little side trip before the hectic/family-crazed holiday season....
Old 12-12-2000, 03:28 PM

you're kidding?

is a Tradition, an Image, almost Mythical ...

Its the JAPANESE Way ...
It's a japanese tradition to make small displacement motors creating an image? Um, I don't even know if what you say qualifies as a myth. I think the reason is the space constraint, and FWD. Is FWD also a Japanese tradition that they pride themselves on? Just generally speaking, we prefer RWD to FWD, V8 to I6, I6 to V6, V6 to I4, German to Japanese. There's nothing mythical about a 200 hp 4 cylinder. That's packaging, making horses out of limited space. But there's never enough torque. Even the 5th gen Maxima has fallen to less torque to hp. It's not by design, it's by choice (hp vs ft-lbs). You need displacement if you want it all.
Old 12-12-2000, 03:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: you're kidding?

Or turbo/supercharger. Then you can have both. Less tradtional turbos featured lag, but w/ modern ball bearing turbos and the varible inlet area (VATN I think) boost is there NOW. thing is emission regulations are making turbos harder to tune.

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Its the JAPANESE Way ...
It's a japanese tradition to make small displacement motors creating an image? Um, I don't even know if what you say qualifies as a myth. I think the reason is the space constraint, and FWD. Is FWD also a Japanese tradition that they pride themselves on? Just generally speaking, we prefer RWD to FWD, V8 to I6, I6 to V6, V6 to I4, German to Japanese. There's nothing mythical about a 200 hp 4 cylinder. That's packaging, making horses out of limited space. But there's never enough torque. Even the 5th gen Maxima has fallen to less torque to hp. It's not by design, it's by choice (hp vs ft-lbs). You need displacement if you want it all.
Old 12-12-2000, 04:18 PM

small V8s

Every see a CART IndyCar? They have 2.65 liter turbo V8s making over 900hp at 16,000+ rpm. Ford Cosworth and Chevy Ilmor (both out of England) came up with them first and then Mercedes, Honda and now Toyota is on top. They say the Toyotas may be reaching 18,000 rpm in qualifying trim (nobody will confirm) and I believe it - I've heard them in person and man do they scream. The F1 engines are even more outrageous. They use all kinds of exotic alloys and internal componants they wont talk about - maybe even ceramic piston heads and such. Every year CART reduces the maximum allowable boost in their engines and somehow the engineers get the horsepower back. They're talking about reducing the displacement to 1.8 liters in the future to reduce horsepower. This falls in line with their philosophy that smaller is better and that they want to promote a high tech series - unlike NASCAR, heh.
But I digress...
Old 12-12-2000, 05:07 PM
The missing moderator

Re: you're kidding?

In japan, it's all about fuel economy, thus small displacement... you are correct, it's not about image... atleast it's not a Japanese image. At honda though, they seem to like making something out of nothing, like 120hp/liter.

About displacement... forced induction could almost replace displacement.

-Shing

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Its the JAPANESE Way ...