General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Need info about buying a car from a private seller.. dont want to get ripped off....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 10:22 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Need info about buying a car from a private seller.. dont want to get ripped off....

I'm trying to buy a used 95 Maxima from a private seller i found online... We negotiated to meet up tomorrow, but I asked him about the titles and he told me he does not have them. From what I remember from selling my 93 Max, you sign off the titles on the back, fill out the tax form and you're done.. the new owner then has proof of ownership and can go register it.

However, the guy is saying that he does not have the title but the bank that he has the loan with has it. I asked him how would the transaction work in case i would purchase it, he said that I would pay him with a check then he waits for it to clear and when the bank gets the payment they fed-ex the title to me.

Does this sound legit?

I do not want to pay the guy 6-7 grand and then have him dissappear on me, i'll be stuck with the car with no title and no way to register it.
Also, if this is how it works, does it mean he's financing it or something? Does anyone know if you get the title when you take a loan for the car from a bank? I want some kind of real proof of ownership that says I own the car and not him.

What do you guys think?
I never dealt with something like this before, I owned 2 cars and didn't buy them from a private party. What should I do here?

thanks
Old 08-05-2002, 10:26 AM

Re: Need info about buying a car from a private seller.. dont want to get ripped off....

That sounds kind of shady. Why when he got the check cleared would the bank fedex the title unless he owes the bank that money? I have never heard of somethign like that before so Id be careful.

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
I'm trying to buy a used 95 Maxima from a private seller i found online... We negotiated to meet up tomorrow, but I asked him about the titles and he told me he does not have them. From what I remember from selling my 93 Max, you sign off the titles on the back, fill out the tax form and you're done.. the new owner then has proof of ownership and can go register it.

However, the guy is saying that he does not have the title but the bank that he has the loan with has it. I asked him how would the transaction work in case i would purchase it, he said that I would pay him with a check then he waits for it to clear and when the bank gets the payment they fed-ex the title to me.

Does this sound legit?

I do not want to pay the guy 6-7 grand and then have him dissappear on me, i'll be stuck with the car with no title and no way to register it.
Also, if this is how it works, does it mean he's financing it or something? Does anyone know if you get the title when you take a loan for the car from a bank? I want some kind of real proof of ownership that says I own the car and not him.

What do you guys think?
I never dealt with something like this before, I owned 2 cars and didn't buy them from a private party. What should I do here?

thanks
Old 08-05-2002, 10:28 AM

if he still owes money on it then he has a lein on it which means that the bank owns it and not him so his bank really would have the title so he isnt lying to you. he should have some form of a title that would have the lein holders name on it though and that should be given to you. what i would do is find out the info about his bank that he has the loan with and contact them.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why not just call and talk to the bank?
-Cyrus
Old 08-05-2002, 10:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Need info about buying a car from a private seller.. dont want to get ripped off....

Does this sound legit?

What do you guys think?

thanks
Hmm. First rule of thumb I use when buying a used car from someone is if you feel at all uncomfortable, walk away. If you decide to go ahead with your purchase, you could always supply him with a bank draft or certified cheque ('check' in Yankee) so you wouldn't have to wait until it clears. The funds and goods should be exchanged at the same time. I can't comment on title issue though, not from that area. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:34 AM

he has a copy of the title and some kind of form he was talking about which i didn't understand..

How would i know he forwards the check to the bank or not? He can just pocket it and dissappear with my $$$..

I don't know what bank it is.

Also, say the bank does have the title but he owe's more on it than I make a deal with him for, will they still send the title if the full amount is not paid off? Maybe the guy hasn't been making payments and owe's crazy $ on it, I don't want to get stuck with all of his debts.. although this isn't how it works, right?
Old 08-05-2002, 10:49 AM

Re: Re: Need info about buying a car from a private seller.. dont want to get ripped off....

Originally posted by Jaws

Hmm. First rule of thumb I use when buying a used car from someone is if you feel at all uncomfortable, walk away. If you decide to go ahead with your purchase, you could always supply him with a bank draft or certified cheque ('check' in Yankee) so you wouldn't have to wait until it clears. The funds and goods should be exchanged at the same time. I can't comment on title issue though, not from that area. Good luck.
if I go with him to the bank and get a certified check, it is like giving him cash or a money order directly..
he won't have to wait until it clears but the car is from Texas. he is from Texas, the bank might be a Texas bank as well, meaning he has to send it...

People say that they just went straight to the sellers bank with the seller and worked everything out there. I am wondering if say, he owes more on it than i am buying the car for.. will the bank let the title go? Why would they if the car hasn't been paid off in full...?
Old 08-05-2002, 10:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Need info about buying a car from a private seller.. dont want to get ripped off....

Ordinarily you would just go with him to the bank and give the check directly to the bank. That will be difficult because he is in Tx. I would ask him for bank information, and call them directly.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:53 AM

I'd ask him the bank loan details and cut two checks - one to the bank to pay off the remaining lien on the car and one to him for the balance of your negotiated price. That way you know that the title will be clear when you pick the car up.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: Need info about buying a car from a private seller.. dont want to get ripped off....

if I go with him to the bank and get a certified check, it is like giving him cash or a money order directly..
he won't have to wait until it clears but the car is from Texas. he is from Texas, the bank might be a Texas bank as well, meaning he has to send it...

People say that they just went straight to the sellers bank with the seller and worked everything out there. I am wondering if say, he owes more on it than i am buying the car for.. will the bank let the title go? Why would they if the car hasn't been paid off in full...?
When I sold my 95, I was in the same position as the seller you are dealing with. I had my buyer speak directly to the bank so that he felt at ease. I got the check from the buyer and overnighted it to my bank, I sold my car for less than I owed on it so I wrote a check for the difference. I also got my new loan for my 2k from them so it all worked out. That is what I would do.

Best of luck!!!!
Old 08-05-2002, 10:56 AM

When you meet the guy, see if he has any info on what bank holds the title. If he for some reason can't tell you, walk away fast (if he doesn't know, where's he gonna send your check to??).

However, if he has the name of the bank and the loan number, call them up and speak to someone in their customer service department. Have them tell you what the process is, and how it can be expedited. Always get the full name and call back number of anyone you speak with at a bank.

I've had several friends go through what you are going through right now. The important thing is to have the bank "in the loop", and not just trust some random guy.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Eric
99SE 5spd
Old 08-05-2002, 10:58 AM

If the seller is legit, then he should have no problem giving you the loan/bank details or having someone at the bank contact you to confirm the remaining balance on the loan on a given date - banks have to be able to calculate the loan payoff value at any time. That way you'll know for sure that the bank will get their money and you are not going to be stuck without a clear title - also try and ask the bank if they are the sole title/lien holder for the car - incase there's another loan or line of credit taken against the car as collateral.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:01 AM

did u do a carfax yet?
Old 08-05-2002, 11:03 AM
Administrator

I hope its a AUTO because NYC + stickshift = headace .. its beside me why you would buy a 95 AUTO after owning a 98 AUTO.. lower payments?
Old 08-05-2002, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
I hope its a AUTO because NYC + stickshift = headace .. its beside me why you would buy a 95 AUTO after owning a 98 AUTO.. lower payments?
He's going from a Auto to a real car maybe?
Old 08-05-2002, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Lordrandall

He's going from a Auto to a real car maybe?

nah i don't think so.. he just posted this..

NYC + stick = headache
Old 08-05-2002, 11:28 AM

I did the same thing when I sold my motorcycle a 5 months ago. I still owed on it and Conseco Finance had the title. I showed the buyer a copy of the title and the my most recent account statement to show him that I was current with my payments.

I gave the buyer a promissory note saying that I will submit the total amount due to the bank within 5 business days of of receiving payment from the buyer. After the account is paid in full - the finance companies (by law) have to release the title (with the lien released) within 30 days of receiving full payment.

If you are still unsure - like the guys have said, just speak to the finance company directly and cut 2 seperate checks.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:43 AM

no sir,
It's a 1995 Superblack on black Nissan Maxima SE 5 speed 102k miles, looks like 1 owner. Guy told me he used to work for Enron
I checked the carfax, it's clean and it was previously in Texas for most of it's life.
He claims it's all highway miles and the car is in excellent shape.

Thank you for the feedback guys,
I will ask him about bank contact info so I can go through them, if not I won't go for this deal even if the price is good.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:46 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

no sir,
It's a 1995 Superblack on black Nissan Maxima SE 5 speed 102k miles, looks like 1 owner. Guy told me he used to work for Enron
I checked the carfax, it's clean and it was previously in Texas for most of it's life.
He claims it's all highway miles and the car is in excellent shape.

Thank you for the feedback guys,
I will ask him about bank contact info so I can go through them, if not I won't go for this deal even if the price is good.

at least you are getting closer to going back to a real maxima
Old 08-05-2002, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

is a 95 SE still a minima?
Old 08-05-2002, 11:47 AM
Administrator

bwahahahah.. i love it.. man.. the org has been so hot today.. i totally forgot to eat lunch.. bwahahahahah
Old 08-05-2002, 11:49 AM
Administrator

SE = minima.. hey bill .. post the link for this young lad..

see you kinda screwed up my son.. you had a 98 (GXE - maxima) (AUTO - minima) .. so you were half way there.. tehn you bought a 95 (SE - minima) (5spd - maxima) .. so close.. so close
Old 08-05-2002, 11:50 AM

So are you going to complain about driving stick in the city all the time now
Old 08-05-2002, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by NickStam
So are you going to complain about driving stick in the city all the time now
Old 08-05-2002, 11:59 AM

Kind of iffy........how "loaded" is it?
Old 08-05-2002, 12:00 PM

Kind of iffy........how "loaded" is it?
supposedly fully, except the auto tranny. wait, would that make it more of a minima?
Old 08-05-2002, 12:02 PM

supposedly fully, except the auto tranny. wait, would that make it more of a minima?

Yeah, it would usually......but since it's a 95 and a 5-speed you'll probably get a pass.....

Nothing like taking advantage of poor Enron execs.........

You still should have kept the 93 VE 5-speed.....that alone should disallow you from having a Maxima again.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:08 PM
Administrator

he had a 93 AUTO

Yeah, it would usually......but since it's a 95 and a 5-speed you'll probably get a pass.....

Nothing like taking advantage of poor Enron execs.........

You still should have kept the 93 VE 5-speed.....that alone should disallow you from having a Maxima again.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:13 PM

he had a 93 AUTO

Oh......I didn't know that.

He should have done a 5-speed conversion then....
Old 08-05-2002, 12:15 PM

Are you considering buying the car without checking it out in person? Spend the $250 airfare and fly down to Houston. That way you will know what you are buying and you may be able to take care of the title easily. If you need any help with looking over the car, let me know.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:25 PM

Oh......I didn't know that.

He should have done a 5-speed conversion then....
At the time, I was fed up with never ending repairs. My auto tranny was about to die yet again, at the time, there was little talk of 5 speed conversions, besides, I have not heard of any VEs being converted yet.

If I still had the car, i might have considered it but it's gone now

We will see how it goes.

and Nick, I won't complain lol. I'm going to a cheaper car that i will probably enjoy more and can put a few grand in my pocket so I can pay rent for a few months.

I was at an auction recently and almost bought a 95 SE, it's only option was a sunroof. It sold for 2,750$ but it had 156k miles on it and it was clearly painted before. Although it drove fine.

I am tired of the auto actually,
Although there are times i appreciate it. But that's probably due to my not so good 5 speed skills.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Green 2kSE
Are you considering buying the car without checking it out in person? Spend the $250 airfare and fly down to Houston. That way you will know what you are buying and you may be able to take care of the title easily. If you need any help with looking over the car, let me know.

no my friend,
perhaps I didn't mention it before... the car and the owners are from Houston, but he is located in Brooklyn, NY right now, which is 20 minutes from me. I am going to look at it in person and drive it tomorrow. Thanks for the offer, I'll hopefully be able to get a good look at it myself. Only thing that troubles me is this process of me getting my hands on the title. He said the way it would work is I write him a check, he forwards it to the bank, they release the title and send it to me. That does not make me feel comfortable, giving someone I do not know 6+ grand and sit and wait for my proof of ownership.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:37 PM

no my friend,
perhaps I didn't mention it before... the car and the owners are from Houston, but he is located in Brooklyn, NY right now, which is 20 minutes from me. I am going to look at it in person and drive it tomorrow. Thanks for the offer, I'll hopefully be able to get a good look at it myself. Only thing that troubles me is this process of me getting my hands on the title. He said the way it would work is I write him a check, he forwards it to the bank, they release the title and send it to me. That does not make me feel comfortable, giving someone I do not know 6+ grand and sit and wait for my proof of ownership.
You should insist that he gives you the bank details, because that makes most sense - he can then call the bank to verify the loan has been paid off - he has to protect himself as much as you do.. so it goes both ways.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:05 PM

You can also make the check payable to both him and the bank so he'll have to sign off and mail your check to the bank for cashing. Whatever you do, make sure you talk to the bank and find out what the loan payoff is, and give them your address to send you the title directly.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:08 PM

Well, I saw the car today. I am leaning not going towards it, not even because of the whole title thing.

He gave me bank contact info. The way it works is I send a payment directly to the bank in his name, when they get it, as soon as it clears, they send the title straight to me. I got power of attorney to sign for him since he's leaving to Jamaica, i take the title and that form to the DMV and register it..

however,
the car is not worth it in my mind
he claimed it was perfect
when it's far from it....
the underbody is all ****ed up like he was off roading.. the car has 102k miles on it but the front struts are ****ed. It has it's share of dings and dents and scratches. The front bumper cover was definately removed at one point, they forgot to bolt it down in the fender well and under the car.. the hood has a lot of paint chips and the grille is pushed in, with one headlight pointing too high.
All that for his asking price of 7,500$
I told him I'm looking around 6k..... he said he would drop it to 7k, i figure i can take it at 6,700$ or so but it's so not worth it. Its a 95 SE, with pretty much all options, except ABS and heated seats.

Another thing....
Does the clutch have to be put into the floor for it to move?
I noticed the shifter was more notchy than other maximas i've tried. The clutch was tight as ****, although it grabbed well, it only grabbed when i nearly let it go.....

I don't know.. maybe my 5 speed skills need polishing but this just felt a little weird..

if anyone finds a 5 speed 4th gen with under 120k miles in good condition for under 7k.. let me know , I'm in NY.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:14 PM

it doesn't sound worth it to me
Old 08-06-2002, 01:28 PM

it doesn't sound worth it to me
yeah
i'm going to pass

hopefully going to another dealers auction tomorrow
last week a 95 SE with 156k miles and very bad paint sold for 2,750$ i keep thinking i should have went for it.. other than the miles and the paint, it was in decent shape i guess.
Old 08-06-2002, 01:40 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Another thing....
Does the clutch have to be put into the floor for it to move?
I noticed the shifter was more notchy than other maximas i've tried. The clutch was tight as ****, although it grabbed well, it only grabbed when i nearly let it go.....

I don't know.. maybe my 5 speed skills need polishing but this just felt a little weird..

if anyone finds a 5 speed 4th gen with under 120k miles in good condition for under 7k.. let me know , I'm in NY.
The clutch has to be pushed in at least ~3/4ths in order for it to change gears. As far as moving, the clutch won't grab until you let it up about half way. It's really simple though you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Another thing is when you are moving the tranny won't allow you to shift into first. You have to be at a complete stop or going really slow. Probubly a protection thing just like you can't shift into R when downshifting from 5-4.

'95 5-speed Maxima's are the fastest Maximas on the planet (stock)besides the 2k2's Prepare to be blown away. And since you will make several thousand profit from the '98, you can have enough for suspension, rims, clears, tint, and an intake/downpipe.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

The clutch has to be pushed in at least ~3/4ths in order for it to change gears. As far as moving, the clutch won't grab until you let it up about half way. It's really simple though you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Another thing is when you are moving the tranny won't allow you to shift into first. You have to be at a complete stop or going really slow. Probubly a protection thing just like you can't shift into R when downshifting from 5-4.

'95 5-speed Maxima's are the fastest Maximas on the planet (stock)besides the 2k2's Prepare to be blown away. And since you will make several thousand profit from the '98, you can have enough for suspension, rims, clears, tint, and an intake/downpipe.
I realize all of that.
However, i was pretty much an inch from letting the clutch out completely, which was the point at which it finally grabbed.. Maybe it was slipping I had to literally push it to the very floor to move the shifter, even in 2nd and 3rd gears.. which is not what i am used to. I don't want to make the comparisons but on Hondas and other cars it's not that bad, maybe all maximas are supposed to be that way, but people say you can even shift without the clutch and this car didn't let me for some reason even with it depressed 3/4 down. I had to push it into the floor.. my leg wasn't reaching already lol, very inconvenient. The shifter was hard as hell to move too. I messed around with NYC GXEs and 190hpKillas 5 speeds and their shifter and clutch are much easier to move.. This one was just too damn notchy. I'm passing on this car.. I don't want to rush into anything that i might regret later.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:34 AM

Sounds like it could be the master or slave cylinder going bad.. Mine went one morning when i was lost in DC. I basically couldnt engage the clutch at all. Needless to say it sucked drivin home that day
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
[B]

I realize all of that.
However, i was pretty much an inch from letting the clutch out completely, which was the point at which it finally grabbed.. Maybe it was slipping I had to literally push it to the very floor to move the shifter, even in 2nd and 3rd gears.. which is not what i am used to. I don't want to make the comparisons but on Hondas and other cars it's not that bad, maybe all maximas are supposed to be that way, but people say you can even shift without the clutch and this car didn't let me for some reason even with it depressed 3/4 down. I had to push it into the floor.. my leg wasn't reaching already lol, very inconvenient. The shifter was hard as hell to move too. I messed around with NYC GXEs and 190hpKillas 5 speeds and their shifter and clutch are much easier to move.. This one was just too damn notchy. I'm passing on this car.. I don't want to rush into anything that i might regret later.

Quick Reply: Need info about buying a car from a private seller.. dont want to get ripped off....