General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

F*** The Potenzas....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 06:05 PM

F*** The Potenzas....

im extremely ****ed off rite now, but im kind of relieved at the same time....i was heading down the 71 South [socal ppl] to a friends house and was gonna connect to the 91 West [toward beach cities, he lives in yorba linda]...the 71 was coming to an end and a junction to the 91 was approaching and there is construction ongoing around there and speeds are limited to about 35-40 cuz there are a lot of cars and 1 narrow lane....so im going about 35 and everybody in front of me goes 91 East and i see the on ramp, wide and not too sharp, but i know my tires [stock re92s w/ 29k miles] cant handle too much so i dont push it a lot, i get up MAYBE 45, more like 40ish, and i hear my tires squealing and even before i let off the gas, i can feel my back end break completely loose...so im thinkn WTF? cuz ive never been in this type of situation, then i make the mistake of slamming the brakes ABS kicks in, wheels lock so i couldnt turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction, the car pulls like 90 degree turn and im skidding towards the curb which goes into a ditch about 50 ft down...and i hit the curb driver side first and skid for about 10 ft on the curb...as soon as i realize it, i pull the ebrake and look around...all this dirt is flying onto my car and im shaking....i ended up w/ the passeneger side rear wheel in the air barely off the curb, driver side rear on the fwy, and the front two in dirt...im hella lucky for quite a few reasons,
1) nobody else was involved and i was alone in the car
2) no major damage except i need a new left side side skirt cuz its basically gone....and it sounds like something is loose in the front of the car when i go over bumps...hopefully its just the shocks though...surprisingly, even though i hit the curb w/ quite some force, all my rims are ok
3) i didnt get hurt
but i am sooooo ****ed cuz all this could have been avoided had i gotten new tires when i should have....
i have a couple choices now from costco...most likely in 235/45/17
Michelein Pilot Sport A/S - $216.00/tire
Bridgestone Potenza re730 - $157/tire
Kumho Ectsa Supra 712 - $80-90/tire
they dont even carry SO-3 Polepositions so thats not an option, unless i can get em from somewhere else...let me know what you would go w/ and why, even if its not on the list....btw, i held off on getting new tires cuz i was planning on getting rims/tires as soon as rain season started, but now thats not gonna happen...so i dont really wanna spend too much on tires cuz i might get new rims/tires anyway, but maybe not
thanks for reading
atw
Old 08-05-2002, 06:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm sure the experience was horrible but the damage is not too bad. It should all be under $1000 including a brand new set of tires. Go Michelin if you can afford them, they are the best. Call and ask TireRack for yourself. And aren't your rims only 7" wide? You're going to put a 235/45-17 on that?
-Cyrus
Old 08-05-2002, 06:18 PM
VQ Wizard

Wow, sorry to hear about that one dude. I hope you find a set of tires you'll be much happier with. I suppose I am the only Maxima driver in the world that likes the RE92's. I just don't seem to have the problems that everyone else describes. hmm Maybe it's because I beat the crap out of them and they stay soft. Who knows.

just my .02
Old 08-05-2002, 06:22 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience. At least you didn't get hurt, it could have been much worse. Was the road wet at all? The Potenzas are horrible in any kind of wet conditions.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:23 PM

If you want I have RE730s for sale with 95% tread on them?!
Old 08-05-2002, 06:40 PM

That really sucks, I hope you get everything fixed up for cheap.

And then go spend some money on a mid level driving course, they really are an awesome investment. they teach you how to understand and utilize the car and its dynamics, like weight shift, and traction and whatnot... Its well worth the money. I'm trying to get my parents to spring the money to send me to one of the race driving schools, like bondurant down in arizona...
Old 08-05-2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Ironlord
That really sucks, I hope you get everything fixed up for cheap.

And then go spend some money on a mid level driving course, they really are an awesome investment. they teach you how to understand and utilize the car and its dynamics, like weight shift, and traction and whatnot... Its well worth the money. I'm trying to get my parents to spring the money to send me to one of the race driving schools, like bondurant down in arizona...

yea im gonna talk to my dad about this tonight too...i read something on the org about this and saw something on the news about it too so as soon as i realized what happened i said im gonna go take some classes cuz its supposed to teach you what i should have done in that situation and maybe avoided this catastrophe....
atw
Old 08-05-2002, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus
I'm sure the experience was horrible but the damage is not too bad. It should all be under $1000 including a brand new set of tires. Go Michelin if you can afford them, they are the best. Call and ask TireRack for yourself. And aren't your rims only 7" wide? You're going to put a 235/45-17 on that?
-Cyrus
Michelin = overrated. TireRack says whatever tire they happen to be pushing at the moment is the best. Which is usually Michelin because they make the most off of them.

I've seen numerous Michelin sidewall problems in my line of work. Perhaps more so than other tires. People think they're great because they're OEM on a lot of cars. The reason they make OEM tires is because their sidewalls are a hair thinner than others, which results in a quieter ride and a lower MPG rating (which is important to the auto makers - even though the tires cost them more). People also think they must be good because they are expensive, where as other people such as myself see them as overpriced instead. I've usually managed to find equal if not better wear with tires which cost half as much. That goes for regular tires, performance tires, and truck tires.

Let the flaming begin.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:13 PM
Sin

Re: F*** The Potenzas....

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g
im extremely ****ed off rite now, but im kind of relieved at the same time....i was heading down the 71 South [socal ppl] to a friends house and was gonna connect to the 91 West [toward beach cities, he lives in yorba linda]...the 71 was coming to an end and a junction to the 91 was approaching and there is construction ongoing around there and speeds are limited to about 35-40 cuz there are a lot of cars and 1 narrow lane....so im going about 35 and everybody in front of me goes 91 East and i see the on ramp, wide and not too sharp, but i know my tires [stock re92s w/ 29k miles] cant handle too much so i dont push it a lot, i get up MAYBE 45, more like 40ish, and i hear my tires squealing and even before i let off the gas, i can feel my back end break completely loose...so im thinkn WTF? cuz ive never been in this type of situation, then i make the mistake of slamming the brakes ABS kicks in, wheels lock so i couldnt turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction, the car pulls like 90 degree turn and im skidding towards the curb which goes into a ditch about 50 ft down...and i hit the curb driver side first and skid for about 10 ft on the curb...as soon as i realize it, i pull the ebrake and look around...all this dirt is flying onto my car and im shaking....i ended up w/ the passeneger side rear wheel in the air barely off the curb, driver side rear on the fwy, and the front two in dirt...im hella lucky for quite a few reasons,
2) no major damage except i need a new left side side skirt cuz its basically gone....and it sounds like something is loose in the front of the car when i go over bumps...hopefully its just the shocks though...surprisingly, even though i hit the curb w/ quite some force, all my rims are ok
3) i didnt get hurt
but i am sooooo ****ed cuz all this could have been avoided had i gotten new tires when i should have....
they dont even carry SO-3 Polepositions so thats not an option, unless i can get em from somewhere else...let me know what you would go w/ and why, even if its not on the list....btw, i held off on getting new tires cuz i was planning on getting rims/tires as soon as rain season started, but now thats not gonna happen...so i dont really wanna spend too much on tires cuz i might get new rims/tires anyway, but maybe not
thanks for reading
atw
Along with investing in a good set of tires, I highly recommend going to a couple different performance driving schools. I'm not saying the performance driving school would have prevented this, but I'm sure it would have been a lot less likely.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:32 PM

[i]

atw [/B]
?? Didn't Potenzas cause the issue in the first place?

I don't know wassup with Bridgestone but they're the same or they bought Firestone. With so many choices why not steer clear? A new 745Li pulled up next to me Sunday with the stock 18's as opposed to the optional 19's. I look over and WTF it has Bridgestone Turanzas. Spend that much cheddar and you still can't escape Firestone's reach.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:37 PM

i heard the re730's are amazing...i was driving my mom's 2k1 5spd tonight(my car is in the body shop getting kit and a few other things painted) Those tires are **** and they were JUST replaced with 2 new fronts. Geez what crappy *** tires...then again my mom doesn't push the car at all so i guess its fine for her.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by CFster

Michelin = overrated. TireRack says whatever tire they happen to be pushing at the moment is the best. Which is usually Michelin because they make the most off of them.

I've seen numerous Michelin sidewall problems in my line of work. Perhaps more so than other tires. People think they're great because they're OEM on a lot of cars. The reason they make OEM tires is because their sidewalls are a hair thinner than others, which results in a quieter ride and a lower MPG rating (which is important to the auto makers - even though the tires cost them more). People also think they must be good because they are expensive, where as other people such as myself see them as overpriced instead. I've usually managed to find equal if not better wear with tires which cost half as much. That goes for regular tires, performance tires, and truck tires.

Let the flaming begin.
so which ones do u recommend??
Old 08-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I happen to love my Potenza RE950's.

Sorry to hear about your spin out. There could have been other factors that caused you to loose traction, like you said there was a lot of construction which means maybe oil or loose rocks were all over the road. And slamming your brakes did not help much either.

The RE92 are not performance tires.

If you want to give Bridgestone/Firestone another chance PM me with your address and I send you a special discount card for new Bridgestone tires.

I recomend the RE950 for all around performance and daily driving.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:10 PM

amen....
I was in a similar situation, got tons of damage, but it didn't happen as dramatic. Thankfully no one was around me, and it only involved me. In the end, its only money, and only a car....but I didn't choose to have a $$30grand death wish.
Even the SubaruWRX dudes got some beef with the RE92s (Their stock tires too). AWD can't even make these tires handle good.
Might as well use these stinkin things for oversized erasers.

I am in a similar search for better tires and possibly rims, the absolute best...money ain't no factor (much )....and to take this thing out to an autocross to get to know the car and tires better
Old 08-05-2002, 10:59 PM

Adarsh

Sorry to hear about the incident...but good that youre ok.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:32 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g
3) i didnt get hurt
thanks for reading
atw

Just wondering, what PSI are you running in front/rear tires?

Glad your alright.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:08 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

theres nothing wrong with Firestone/Bridgestone tires. And i dont see why someone would think a Turanza would suck juss by glancing over at it??? RE92's isnt really a good tire for high performance, but for the everyday driver it does its job fine.

anyways, im with CFster when he says Michellins are overpriced. yea some of their tires are good but people seem to get the impression that more money=more tire. Im in the tire industry also and we ususally see more Michellins with probs then other tires.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:18 AM

kuhmo tires for life
Old 08-06-2002, 01:05 AM

Maxedout2g, I urge you to take your car to the Dealer or your nearest mechanic and have your car's suspension looked at. If you slid into a curb, most likely your car's suspension has some sort of damage, and im guessing a bent control arm.
Old 08-06-2002, 02:18 AM
Former Sponsor

RE92s are not very good tires... they will last you a long time though I believe- they are by no means performance tires

of ALLLLLL the tires out there my favorites are all Bridgestone... S02s S03s RE730s... Michelins are just overpriced and dont perform any better

I'm sorry about what happened, but next time invest in a set of hi performance tires...

take George up on his RE730 offer- they are great tires
Old 08-06-2002, 03:30 AM

try wheel works if u guys have em' down south for the s03.. they'll price match with tirerack and do free mounting and balancing
Old 08-06-2002, 07:33 AM
Very sound, Mike

Sorry to hear about it, though i'm glad you and the car came out okay.

As for the train of events, i have a couple of questions if anyone wishes to discuss them.

1) If ABS engaged, why did his wheels lock? Was the evasive maneuver beyond the scope of what ABS was designed for?

2) If the rear wheels broke loose and instead of slamming on the brakes he, instead, kept on the gas (and then some) could the events have turned for the better?

Just curious, should something similar happen to anyone of us.

Thanks.
- Mike
Old 08-06-2002, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by carnal_c30
RE92s are not very good tires... they will last you a long time though I believe- they are by no means performance tires

of ALLLLLL the tires out there my favorites are all Bridgestone... S02s S03s RE730s... Michelins are just overpriced and dont perform any better

I'm sorry about what happened, but next time invest in a set of hi performance tires...

take George up on his RE730 offer- they are great tires
I saw RE92's on a mid 80's buick, profile was at least 60-70. Wow, high performance cars share the same tires.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:06 AM

ebrake can be very useful
Old 08-06-2002, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by I30tMikeD

If you want to give Bridgestone/Firestone another chance PM me with your address and I send you a special discount card for new Bridgestone tires.

I recomend the RE950 for all around performance and daily driving.
Does this offer apply to anyone?
Old 08-06-2002, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
Sorry to hear about it, though i'm glad you and the car came out okay.

As for the train of events, i have a couple of questions if anyone wishes to discuss them.

1) If ABS engaged, why did his wheels lock? Was the evasive maneuver beyond the scope of what ABS was designed for?

2) If the rear wheels broke loose and instead of slamming on the brakes he, instead, kept on the gas (and then some) could the events have turned for the better?

Just curious, should something similar happen to anyone of us.

Thanks.
- Mike
he said his ABS did engage, but he didn't try to counter steer, thereby negating the ABS. For simple consumers, just slam the brakes and steer away from danger, thats what ABS was designed for - there are better and safer ways of doign things (threshold braking and whatnot), but ABS was designed for average drivers.

And when his rear tires broke loose, hitting the brakes worsened the effect, b/c is shifted more weight to the front and away from the rears. However, I don't know that goosing the throttle would have helped do anything other than cause the fronts to break loose, causing the whole car to slide out instead of just the rears.

What i was taught in my course was that during a rear tail slide in a FF car, do not use any pedal input at the onset, but keep your eyes at the point you want to head, and steer that way. It worked everytime at the course, and once or twice in my old car on the road....
Old 08-06-2002, 12:35 PM

The RE92s are not that bad in dry conditions. In wet conditions they are as usefull as **** on a bull!
Old 08-06-2002, 02:43 PM

I'm glad no one's hurt; that's the main thing. But I must say that you've used a dumb name for this thread; blaming the tires for your mishap. It's just like blaming the Maxima. You could have said "F*** the Maxima, this wouldn't have happened if I were in a M3".
Old 08-06-2002, 03:09 PM
Sin

Originally posted by JMAX95
I'm glad no one's hurt; that's the main thing. But I must say that you've used a dumb name for this thread; blaming the tires for your mishap. It's just like blaming the Maxima. You could have said "F*** the Maxima, this wouldn't have happened if I were in a M3".
My thoughts exactly. I was thinking, man, your maxima should be blaming you for what you did to it, and not he the tires.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:35 PM

I see a lot of negative stuff about tires, but no positive. Hook a brotha' up, what do you guys consider good street performance tires and why?
Old 08-06-2002, 03:51 PM
Sin

Originally posted by Freedog
I see a lot of negative stuff about tires, but no positive. Hook a brotha' up, what do you guys consider good street performance tires and why?
Toyo Proxes T1-S, Bridgestone SO-3. Why? Very predictable tires. They don't bite you in the *** when you make a mistake. You feel/sense the limits approaching, instead of not feeling anything, and suddenly having to steer out the side windows, or even worse, the rear view mirror. High adhesion compared to many other tires out there. This does everything from improving drag racing performance, handling, and VERY importantly, braking distances. Simply by changing tires, one can easily pick up 2-3 car lengths in braking distance from 60mph. Good sidewall design makes turn in crisp, helps to reduce slop between the steering wheel and the contact patch. Which also aids in the cornering as well as communication of what is going on at the contact patch to the steering wheel, during cornering. Also, these tires perform pretty well in standing water compared to most max performance tires, and because of their high long link carbon black and silica content, they perform VERY well in wet, but non-standing water conditions.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
theres nothing wrong with Firestone/Bridgestone tires. And i dont see why someone would think a Turanza would suck juss by glancing over at it??? RE92's isnt really a good tire for high performance, but for the everyday driver it does its job fine.

anyways, im with CFster when he says Michellins are overpriced. yea some of their tires are good but people seem to get the impression that more money=more tire. Im in the tire industry also and we ususally see more Michellins with probs then other tires.
Yes, they do s*** just by glancing over. Pop quiz, you pay over $73,000 for a car, you want a Bridgestone 50-series TOURING tire on your car? WTF?

It costs $1300 more for a 275/40-19 performance tire in the rear, and a 245/45-19 on the front. I am surprised that someone would spend nearly 80 thousand dollars and not go $1300 more for decent rims/tires.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

Yes, they do s*** just by glancing over. Pop quiz, you pay over $73,000 for a car, you want a Bridgestone 50-series TOURING tire on your car? WTF?

It costs $1300 more for a 275/40-19 performance tire in the rear, and a 245/45-19 on the front. I am surprised that someone would spend nearly 80 thousand dollars and not go $1300 more for decent rims/tires.
Every tire has it's purpose. That's why the range of prices for tires is so wide. For performance these Bridgestones may suck, but they can probably beat most performance tires in terms of mileage you get from them. Perhaps with 19's you're getting 25k miles and opposed to 35k from the cheapy Bridgestones. So does this mean your performance tires suck?
Old 08-06-2002, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by JMAX95

Every tire has it's purpose. That's why the range of prices for tires is so wide. For performance these Bridgestones may suck, but they can probably beat most performance tires in terms of mileage you get from them. Perhaps with 19's you're getting 25k miles and opposed to 35k from the cheapy Bridgestones. So does this mean your performance tires suck?
Don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from. In the old days, the GS400 with the 17's had a disclaimer on the glass saying the tires could last as little as 15k. That was then, this is now.

The 745Li is a 4400 lb. car that can reach 60 in under 6 seconds. Should it have a performance tire, or a smooth, cheap, and tall TOURING tire? When the price is $1300 to go performance? What did Phish say, tires are the objects on your car that make contact with the road?
Old 08-06-2002, 06:24 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally posted by tomj

Does this offer apply to anyone?
I wish I could hook everyone up but I only get a certin # of these "special friend" discount card a year. I just wanted to help someone out. I only had a few left and they are all given away or spoken for now.
Old 08-08-2002, 07:59 AM

Glad to see you're Ok.

GC
Old 08-08-2002, 11:24 AM

and how can you determine if the tire sucks juss by looking at it?? pop quiz for you, what if the person paying 73k for the car isnt interesting in high performance driving? they want to look cool, enjoy the smoother quieter ride and enjoy all the luxuries. People pay so much for a Bentley but it doesnt come with S0-3s. Cause thats not the purpose of the car nor is people that buy it interested in that. dont be so close minded bout tires.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:21 PM

Turanza = touring, ya think? Sorry, I don't go that way. They s***, and you can tell by reading the name. Are they sufficient on an Altima 2.5 S? Yep. A Maxima GLE? Yep. A BMW 745Li that costs almost 80 grand with options? Nope, 50-series rubber is way too tall. $1300 more for 275/40-19 and 245/45-19 is worth it. But if the idea of not having a tall, soft-riding touring tire scares you go with the 18's and save $1300. Your pocketbook will thank you. Members of the BMWCCA will think you're a cheap ***
Old 08-08-2002, 04:48 PM

sorry to hear about the mishap but glad to hear your ok... as soon as i bought my car last year the first thing i did was replace the stock tires the very first day i had her... the car was sitting on the stock toyos and i upgraded them to the toyo fz4 215/5VWR16s i love em... also as someone said if you could take the driving course, ive taken it before and it helps alot in those type of situatiions...
Old 08-09-2002, 12:56 AM

Turanza = touring, ya think? Sorry, I don't go that way. They s***, and you can tell by reading the name. Are they sufficient on an Altima 2.5 S? Yep. A Maxima GLE? Yep. A BMW 745Li that costs almost 80 grand with options? Nope, 50-series rubber is way too tall. $1300 more for 275/40-19 and 245/45-19 is worth it. But if the idea of not having a tall, soft-riding touring tire scares you go with the 18's and save $1300. Your pocketbook will thank you. Members of the BMWCCA will think you're a cheap ***
too tall for what tho? maybe thats the purpose, they dont want a 35-40 series tire cause itll ride harsher then what the consumer wants. They make S0-3s and other high performance tires in 50 or 55 series. Some people prefer more sidewall. not everything has to be performance related. not all people that buy 80k or 100k cars want high performance tires.

Quick Reply: F*** The Potenzas....