General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Captured on video: Hesitation when startup

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 11:30 AM

Captured on video: Hesitation when startup

I know this was a problem for people who had their clutch changed before, as my car did it. My car hasnt done it for months now, although it has started again. It all started when I was backing up my car and my car got stuck in reverse the other day in my driveway. This stuck in reverse phenomena is not new as it only happens if I let the clutch out fully and go over 5 mph. BMXsteve has the same problem. Anyway, in order to get it "unstuck" I have to drift the car forwards down hill with the clutch depressed, and then pop it out of gear. Yes this seems abusive, but its the only way I know of to disengage the sticking reverse. Anywho, after this when I go to crank the car the car does not crank over at all. And then it chokes when it finally starts.

I got it on video, twice. The first time, I went from "acc" to "start". The second time, I let the car sit at "ON" before cranking it for about 5 seconds. You can see that the second time sounds worse then the first. This is very embarressing to have a car that doesnt start immediately. Has ANYBODY figured this one out?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ewong61/start1.AVI
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ewong61/start2.AVI

(you need directx 8 to view)

I wonder what this is related to. How can turning the crank while the car is off affect how it starts up, particularly since it is a fuel injected car. So now, my car chokes when it startsup and its very embarressing. Has anybody figured this one out?
Old 08-09-2002, 01:03 PM

I dont know the problem you are having but can you forward these videos to luke@vqpower.com so that I can have them for reference or lets say archive when I get back...

Thanks
Old 08-09-2002, 01:29 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

couldn't view the videos, but sounds like a fuel system problem, fuel pump maybe??
Old 08-09-2002, 11:32 PM

Re: Captured on video: Hesitation when startup

Originally posted by ericdwong
I know this was a problem for people who had their clutch changed before, as my car did it. My car hasnt done it for months now, although it has started again. It all started when I was backing up my car and my car got stuck in reverse the other day in my driveway. This stuck in reverse phenomena is not new as it only happens if I let the clutch out fully and go over 5 mph. BMXsteve has the same problem. Anyway, in order to get it "unstuck" I have to drift the car forwards down hill with the clutch depressed, and then pop it out of gear. Yes this seems abusive, but its the only way I know of to disengage the sticking reverse. Anywho, after this when I go to crank the car the car does not crank over at all. And then it chokes when it finally starts.

I got it on video, twice. The first time, I went from "acc" to "start". The second time, I let the car sit at "ON" before cranking it for about 5 seconds. You can see that the second time sounds worse then the first. This is very embarressing to have a car that doesnt start immediately. Has ANYBODY figured this one out?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ewong61/start1.AVI
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ewong61/start2.AVI

(you need directx 8 to view)

I wonder what this is related to. How can turning the crank while the car is off affect how it starts up, particularly since it is a fuel injected car. So now, my car chokes when it startsup and its very embarressing. Has anybody figured this one out?
The quality of the sound isn't that great but on the second video it almost sounds as if the starter is scratching.