General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Carbon Fiber Hood repair and INFORMATION on FiberImages.com

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 03:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Carbon Fiber Hood repair and INFORMATION on FiberImages.com

Well most of you don't know but I was in yet another accident thursday night and the short story is 2 deer, brakes locked up, slid into guard rail.. new driver's side fender, corner lamp, chunk out of the rim, bumper, scratched rear fender(that was from the last accident 3 weeks ago), and my carbon fiber hood is almost in 2 pieces (horizontally - layers).

Anyways, the carbon fiber hood is cracked along the inside edges on both sides of the hood and you can see it from the front it looks like the 2 pieces are coming apart. I see that it is only fiberglass on the underside and carbon fiber on the top, so I assume with some fiberglassing it could be put back together, but I don't know for sure and was curious if anyone else had any experience with this..?

I am trying to find out monday if insurance will cover the hood and get me a new one. I called fiberimages and they still make the carbon fiber hoods for my car and she said they stopped dealing with damaged hoods and most insurance companies accepted them because fiberimages stopped replacing damaged hoods, so I guess I will see about that.. and my wheel.. on monday.

any input on the insurance matters and the hood fix would be nice..
Old 08-10-2002, 05:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Another? That sucks man, hope you can get another CF hood (and bags but that's not going to happen anytime soon, is it? ).
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 08:03 PM

Damn you hit a deer. Hopefully the insurance will cover it all.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by CARIZMAX
Damn you hit a deer. Hopefully the insurance will cover it all.
no

hit the steel guard rail.. the deer probably would have gone through the windshield, seeing as how my car sits 2 inches off the ground.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler

no

hit the steel guard rail.. the deer probably would have gone through the windshield, seeing as how my car sits 2 inches off the ground.
you would have been better off hitting the deer. hitting the deer is a non fault loss... swerving and hitting the guardrail is an at fault loss = rate increase most likely.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:23 PM
SLOW

find a shop that specializes in fiberglass work. when I looked into getting a CF hood fixed, I went to a shop that specializes in Corvettes, as corvettes have fiberglass body panels.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by CKNY

you would have been better off hitting the deer. hitting the deer is a non fault loss... swerving and hitting the guardrail is an at fault loss = rate increase most likely.
He had more important priorities than insurance rates like having to deal with the possibility of having antlers stuck in his chest
Old 08-11-2002, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Nismo

He had more important priorities than insurance rates like having to deal with the possibility of having antlers stuck in his chest
good call. when the deer jumps out insurance rates didnt come into mind, staying alive and not having some deer sit in my lap..

nealoc187 - check pm