General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Dual exhausts + 5-speed = Highway RICE

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 05:14 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Dual exhausts + 5-speed = Highway RICE

Well, ever since my 5spd conversion my highway cruising RPMS (70mph) are around 3,000 in 5th gear. With my auto it was around 2.3k RPMS. Well, thanks to that new gearing my exhaust has a high pitched sound to it...I think a littlebuzz too Now, of course it sounds nothing like a little 4banger on the highway, those sound horrible, but I probubly sound like a riceboy to the domestic V8's nontheless. I notice I don't get quite the gas milage either. It's not significant, but....why the hell did Nissan gear the 5spd this way? I usually find my self downshifting into 4th just to get rid of that damn sound becuase once I get over 3.3k rpms it starts sounding aggressive.

I still won't modify my exhaust to quiet it though. No resonators, turbo tubes, nada. The sound I get creeping at stoplights and around town are totally worth the highway rice. It's weird becuase it sounds like a totally different car on the highway...what's the big idea behind our gearing?
Old 08-10-2002, 05:32 PM

BTW, I have a video of my car in action, duals and all, but It's on a camcorder and I don't know what to do to transfer it to the computer. If someone wants to PM or email me and tell me how to do it in dummy language i'd be happy to hear it.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Craig Mack
BTW, I have a video of my car in action, duals and all, but It's on a camcorder and I don't know what to do to transfer it to the computer. If someone wants to PM or email me and tell me how to do it in dummy language i'd be happy to hear it.
1. Is the video shorter than 30 seconds?
2. Do you have firewire?
3. Do you have high speed internet?
Old 08-10-2002, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus

1. Is the video shorter than 30 seconds?
2. Do you have firewire?
3. Do you have high speed internet?
1a)
1)I think so, but I can chop it up to make it really short
2)What is firewire
3)Yes, fiber optic cable
Old 08-10-2002, 05:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Craig Mack
[B]
2)What is firewire
It is like a very fast form of USB. Most new digicams have it, and a few PCs. Without it, it is going to take a WHILE to load that file onto your computer.
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 05:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vyrus
[B]

2)What is firewire
It is like a very fast form of USB. Most new digicams have it, and a few PCs. Without it, it is going to take a WHILE to load that file onto your computer.
-Cyrus
Well the camara is a Sony "Handycam" 64x, video 8, videoHi8. It's black....good little camcorder. Sorry, I am a NoOb when it comes to video electronics..
Old 08-10-2002, 05:55 PM

Well the camara is a Sony "Handycam" 64x, video 8, videoHi8. It's black....good little camcorder. Sorry, I am a NoOb when it comes to video electronics..
Well I don't really know if it has it or not, and your computer has to have it too so let's assume you don't. Can you hook the camcorder up via USB?
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 05:57 PM

nope...u need a TV in card, a card where u can also watch TV and stuff on ur computer...
Old 08-10-2002, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by 99MAXSE-L
nope...u need a TV in card, a card where u can also watch TV and stuff on ur computer...
...along with cables and what not to transfer data right? How much will these beasts cost me?
Old 08-10-2002, 06:01 PM

...along with cables and what not to transfer data right? How much will these beasts cost me?
If you're camcorder has firewire that is the ultimate... so check if you do and if the computer does too. You could download huge videos in minutes. Now uploading to the web is another thing. Hopefully gtr can host it for you.
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 06:13 PM

If you're camcorder has firewire that is the ultimate... so check if you do and if the computer does too. You could download huge videos in minutes. Now uploading to the web is another thing. Hopefully gtr can host it for you.
-Cyrus
I doubt it. Just checked the owners manual and saw nothing. My computer is a cheap-azz e-machine so it is lucky to boot up

Too bad you don't live in by me or you could come over and help out with this
Old 08-10-2002, 06:49 PM

What's the speedlimit in the states? I was under the impression it was 50-60mph. Maybe Nissan didn't want to encourage the mod-crowd to be speeding by having their family sedan sounding like a sports car while going 10-20mph consistantly over the speed limit

The cure? Supercharge it. If anyone doesn't like the noise out your muffler, you can PSSHTT at them from the engine and make em go .
Old 08-10-2002, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by ereet
What's the speedlimit in the states? I was under the impression it was 50-60mph. Maybe Nissan didn't want to encourage the mod-crowd to be speeding by having their family sedan sounding like a sports car while going 10-20mph consistantly over the speed limit

The cure? Supercharge it. If anyone doesn't like the noise out your muffler, you can PSSHTT at them from the engine and make em go .
Where I live it's 65mph. (interstate). Certain places in Orlando are 50mph.

I was under the Impression that the V2 was extremely quiet. I hate a quiet supercharger ...besides, I don't exactly have 4 grand to blow.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:55 PM

Who has a V2? Not me!

Get a V1 Less than 4 grand ... CANADIAN. Hehe
Old 08-10-2002, 07:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I doubt it. Just checked the owners manual and saw nothing. My computer is a cheap-azz e-machine so it is lucky to boot up
You have an analog video camcorder not a digital so like 99MaxSE-L says, you will need a capture card and feed in the analog video.

In case you ever consider upgrading, modern camcorders use digital compression and storage. You just transfer the video data via firewire or other for processing into whatever format you want. A little time consuming though and power hungry (from a computer requirement standpoint).
Old 08-10-2002, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

You have an analog video camcorder not a digital so like 99MaxSE-L says, you will need a capture card and feed in the analog video.

In case you ever consider upgrading, modern camcorders use digital compression and storage. You just transfer the video data via firewire or other for processing into whatever format you want. A little time consuming though and power hungry (from a computer requirement standpoint).
Yup that's 100% right, so in others words...
It's more trouble than it's worth. And Craig if I lived close to you I would move... j/k No I would just use my camcorder.
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 08:15 PM

Yup that's 100% right, so in others words...
It's more trouble than it's worth. ( And Craig if I lived close to you I would move... j/k :lah: No I would just use my camcorder. :kis:
-Cyrus
If you lived near me, I would come over and revv my dualies by your house at 5:30am and wake you up, then flee before the cops come

As far as my camcorder goes..it looks new! It works really well and is small..so there. ..And everyday I try convincing my dad to buy a digicam but he says he "doesn't need that jazz"
Old 08-10-2002, 08:22 PM

If you lived near me, I would come over and revv my dualies by your house at 5:30am and wake you up, then flee before the cops come
I'd just whoop out on oour several crotch rockets and get you before the cops do. I wonder what the cops will say when they find your car in ruins and a banana in each pipe of your dualies?

A digicam is definitely worth it... he can email pics to all of his friends and family, making selling things easier, and make you shut up all for under $200.
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 08:43 PM

Oh yeah BTW it's nice to see some import "flava" in your sig. I thought I would see some American muscle first, but it's nice to know you still have some love for imports.
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 08:47 PM

I'd just whoop out on oour several crotch rockets and get you before the cops do. I wonder what the cops will say when they find your car in ruins and a banana in each pipe of your dualies?
You allowed to drive those ricerockets? They must blunt the performance of the max big time! Those things are FAST.

A digicam is definitely worth it... he can email pics to all of his friends and family, making selling things easier, and make you shut up all for under $200.
-Cyrus
I'm talking about a digicam that captures motion (movie making)...and one that captures sound good ( I want my dualies sounding true to life)
Old 08-10-2002, 08:51 PM

Oh yeah BTW it's nice to see some import "flava" in your sig. I thought I would see some American muscle first, but it's nice to know you still have some love for imports.
-Cyrus
As much as I LOVE the sound of the muscle cars, and the raw power of them, there are Imports I like.....BETTER! Can you believe it! Supra TT's are bad@ss, and a Skyline TT...OMG I would take that any day over any american car by far!!
Old 08-10-2002, 08:54 PM

You allowed to drive those ricerockets? They must blunt the performance of the max big time! Those things are FAST.

I'm talking about a digicam that captures motion (movie making)...and one that captures sound good ( I want my dualies sounding true to life)
Yeah they do but I still love my Max. IMO it looks better.

As for the digicam that might be a waste. I mean how many times are going to use it? Maybe a few to take videos of your car but not much else, right? They are a lot of money, trust me that's what I have. Sure it takes great pics, but my brother's $200 HP that only takes pics take just as crips and high-res pics as it does. And I only know a few people that really make use of them with their car... like bigsadler. They're a LOT more money than just a plain digicam, and unless your dad is into home movies, it's probably not worth it.
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 08:56 PM

As much as I LOVE the sound of the muscle cars, and the raw power of them, there are Imports I like.....BETTER! Can you believe it! Supra TT's are bad@ss, and a Skyline TT...OMG I would take that any day over any american car by far!!
Good to hear.
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 09:02 PM

Yeah they do but I still love my Max. IMO it looks better.

As for the digicam that might be a waste. I mean how many times are going to use it? Maybe a few to take videos of your car but not much else, right? They are a lot of money, trust me that's what I have. Sure it takes great pics, but my brother's $200 HP that only takes pics take just as crips and high-res pics as it does. And I only know a few people that really make use of them with their car... like bigsadler. They're a LOT more money than just a plain digicam, and unless your dad is into home movies, it's probably not worth it.
-Cyrus
well, would I be able to make a small video with the $200 digicam? Does it capture sound as well?
Old 08-10-2002, 09:05 PM

well, would I be able to make a small video with the $200 digicam? Does it capture sound as well?
Some of them but it wouldn't be worth keeping. The rate would be like 3frames/second and no it wouldn't capture sound.
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 09:06 PM

Some of them but it wouldn't be worth keeping. The rate would be like 3frames/second and no it wouldn't capture sound.
-Cyrus
I just want to share my dualies with the maxima community....damn this is complicated ****.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:07 PM

I just want to share my dualies with the maxima community....damn this is complicated ****.
So use a tape recorder.
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 09:10 PM

So use a tape recorder.
-Cyrus
Would a yak-back work?
Old 08-10-2002, 09:13 PM

Would a yak-back work?
Um... nooooooo. Unless you want your dualies to sound like one long fart.

With the tape recorder you can record the dualies, then plug the headphone jack of the recorder into the microphone jack on the computer, press record on the computer and play on the recorder. It may not be as good as studio equipment but we should definitely be able to get the idea.

-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 09:17 PM

wow, u did a 5spd conversion?

how much did the conversion cost you? how long have you had it? and any complications or glitches yet?

kafene.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:18 PM

Um... nooooooo. Unless you want your dualies to sound like one long fart. )
I've tried before and it sounds like exactly that.

With the tape recorder you can record the dualies, then plug the headphone jack of the recorder into the microphone jack on the computer, press record on the computer and play on the recorder. It may not be as good as studio equipment but we should definitely be able to get the idea.

-Cyrus
My dad has one of those recorders with the little minitapes in 'em...I could use that bird...sweet..I'll do it!....sometime
Old 08-10-2002, 09:20 PM

I've tried before and it sounds like exactly that.
So if you record a fart it will sound just like your dualies... Let me know if the tape recorder thing doesn't work.
-Cyrus
Old 08-10-2002, 09:41 PM

Let me know if the tape recorder thing doesn't work.
-Cyrus
Will do.

Kafene, http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=142173 ...It was 3 threads down from this one
Old 08-10-2002, 10:00 PM

Will do.

Kafene, http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=142173 ...It was 3 threads down from this one
...thanks.

maybe it was an earlier post, but was the swap from another maxima?

kafene.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:36 AM

go to rent a center and rent a digicam that has firewire

go to best buy and "borrow a firewire card" (keep the receipt so you can take it back)

renting allows you to see if a camera of that sort is something you want to spend that much money on!!!

too bad you're not closer or i would do the video for you!!!

feel like driving to miami???? or better yet meet up with the s. florida crew at towers on a friday night and I can get us all on tape!!

that would be kewl!!
Old 08-11-2002, 08:32 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I love the short 5spd gearing. It's pretty similar to BMW 5spd's and it keeps the car in the powerband and responsive in 5th, and my mileage has still been great. I love not having to downshift just to go around some idiot.

It takes some getting used to, but I think you'll come to like it
Old 08-11-2002, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by ms.thicknes

go to rent a center and rent a digicam that has firewire

go to best buy and "borrow a firewire card" (keep the receipt so you can take it back)

renting allows you to see if a camera of that sort is something you want to spend that much money on!!!

too bad you're not closer or i would do the video for you!!!

feel like driving to miami???? or better yet meet up with the s. florida crew at towers on a friday night and I can get us all on tape!!

that would be kewl!!
Too bad we don't live closer...Miami is a 4 hour drive! But, I like those idea's you gave me about rent-a-center and ****...will have to look into it!

Kafene, our donor car was a '95 SE 5spd with 69,650 miles on the tranny. Everything was in great condition as it was probubly driven by an old geezer. Everything has been great.

SteVTEC..well..5th isn't THAT powerfull I mean at 70mph I find myself downshifting into 4th gear to zip around people, and I have the big-gun bolt-ons..but 5th is decent for passin' the granny-nanny's.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:33 PM

SteVTEC..well..5th isn't THAT powerfull I mean at 70mph I find myself downshifting into 4th gear to zip around people, and I have the big-gun bolt-ons..but 5th is decent for passin' the granny-nanny's.
LOL, well yeah. But compared to the overly tall econo top gears of most cars, it's damn peppy. But yeah, if I REALLY wanna move I'll even drop it down to 3rd at 70 mph
Old 08-11-2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
LOL, well yeah. But compared to the overly tall econo top gears of most cars, it's damn peppy. But yeah, if I REALLY wanna move I'll even drop it down to 3rd at 70 mph
Steve,

I was gonna send you a PM but it's too long, so check your mail!
Old 08-11-2002, 03:43 PM

you now have an even longer reply

Quick Reply: Dual exhausts + 5-speed = Highway RICE