General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

When dropping the auto tranny, best place to put jack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 02:59 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

When dropping the auto tranny, best place to put jack?

Where is the best spot to position the jack on the tranny when you drop it. I'm looking for the best balance point so I don't drop the tranny on myself...

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2002, 04:02 PM

Re: When dropping the auto tranny, best place to put jack?

Originally posted by mtrai760
Where is the best spot to position the jack on the tranny when you drop it. I'm looking for the best balance point so I don't drop the tranny on myself...

Thanks in advance.
you should read harolds instructions. You are asking a lot of questions and it worries me. I scared you are going to kill yourself. Taking the tranny out is a 2 person job. one is under the car giving instructions the other works the jack.. You could do it by yourself but you would most certainly destroy the tranny in the process.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:08 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

IMO, the only stupid question is the one not asked. Ive seen a bunch of post about how hard it is to balance the auto, about someone almost dropping it, so I wanted to see what others had to say. Ive read Harolds instructions till I had them memorized, and NO OFFENSE at all to Harold, but I found some things seemed to be left out or not clarefied enough, but hey, I figured it out. New tranny is installed. Iansw came by to help along with another friend. No worries...
Old 08-11-2002, 11:12 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Asking too many questions? Did you do the swap based on internet instructions alone? NO. Who helped you? Someone who has done this before. You had the answers to all your questions right their. If you don't want to answer my questions, then by all means don't. But up here in Washington, I don't know anyone who's even dropped a tranny before. I have more mechanical knowledge than just about anyone I know. I was asking for some quick help, not belitalment. Thanks alot...

BTW, I figured it out on my own, without any advice from here. Tranny is in and almost ready to go....

Originally posted by Craig Mack
You are askin' too many questions

You really should have a buddy help you. I had to hold the tranny while Chaz lowered it on the jack..you won't be able to do it alone unless the surface of your jack is super big.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

To make things easier make sure you took off all the bolts, and make sure u took off that tube that checks the tranny fluid level. When you get the tranny off you're gonna get alot of fluid to spill, even if you emptied the tranny pan. Imo its the best to take off teh tranny by laying under it and wiggling it off, while someone on top makes sure nothing is in the way. The tranny weighs about 130-140 lbs id say. Warning, its messy this way, you'll have tranny fluid all over you, and probably like a quart of it. The other way is to balance it on the jack. I'd recommend putting apiece of wood underneath on the floor thats like .75 of an inch thick, incase you drop the tranny, it wont crack. If you have two people its not that hard to balance the tranny, its not like gonna want to tip over that easily. If you lower your whole engine by takeing off the two bolts on teh front of that metal bar that runs from the front of the engine to the back, it will make things muuuuuuch easier. Remember, you need a jack to hold that up, or.....

hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:23 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Thanks Skeelo. The tranny is off, safe and sound, with my 5spd mounted up and torqued. I'm just working on getting the little things back together now...

Originally posted by skeelo34
To make things easier make sure you took off all the bolts, and make sure u took off that tube that checks the tranny fluid level. When you get the tranny off you're gonna get alot of fluid to spill, even if you emptied the tranny pan. Imo its the best to take off teh tranny by laying under it and wiggling it off, while someone on top makes sure nothing is in the way. The tranny weighs about 130-140 lbs id say. Warning, its messy this way, you'll have tranny fluid all over you, and probably like a quart of it. The other way is to balance it on the jack. I'd recommend putting apiece of wood underneath on the floor thats like .75 of an inch thick, incase you drop the tranny, it wont crack. If you have two people its not that hard to balance the tranny, its not like gonna want to tip over that easily. If you lower your whole engine by takeing off the two bolts on teh front of that metal bar that runs from the front of the engine to the back, it will make things muuuuuuch easier. Remember, you need a jack to hold that up, or.....

hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:51 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by mtrai760
Asking too many questions? Did you do the swap based on internet instructions alone? NO. Who helped you? Someone who has done this before. You had the answers to all your questions right their. If you don't want to answer my questions, then by all means don't. But up here in Washington, I don't know anyone who's even dropped a tranny before. I have more mechanical knowledge than just about anyone I know. I was asking for some quick help, not belitalment. Thanks alot... :

BTW, I figured it out on my own, without any advice from here. Tranny is in and almost ready to go....

Easy there tiger I was just kiddin!! In NO WAY was I trying to put you down dude, I was joking around, that's what I put the "" smiley. W/O Chaz I wouldn't dare attempt a 5spd swap, so please don't take it the wrong way.

I will try to give more signs when I am kidding, and by no means stop posting questions..I like trying to help you out with something that I actually now have a little knowledge about, so by all means ask away man!