General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Driving without Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 06:53 PM

Driving without Engine Oil

I'm currently driving a rental car (old Acura Legend). The other day I was driving on the freeway durin the afternoon. I came upon traffic (always the case in LA) so I had to stop. I had the A/C on pretty high and I was just idling when I noticed that the temperature gauge was pegged to the top. I was like "Crap!" and so I turned off the A/C. Right then the temp gauge started to fall and returned to normal.

I didn't think anything of it at the time, I just thought the A/C was causing the engine bay to get a little hot. Then yesterday night I was at the gas station filling up and I decided to check the engine oil. When I pulled the dipstick, there wasn't any oil on it! I had to put in 1.75 quarts of engine oil in.

Basically, I was driving for a week with the car down 1.75 quarts. I'm just wondering if there's an explanation for why my car didn't stop in the middle of the road during that week. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:57 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

cars take more than 1.75 quarts? maybe it was very low, but not empty?
Old 08-11-2002, 06:59 PM

I had some garbage rental car that I got on a hotel/rentacar package in Utah once on a ski trip. I **** you not, it took more than 2 quarts to get the oil back up to where it should have been. Keep a note never to buy a car that was used as a rental
Old 08-11-2002, 07:04 PM

Re: Driving without Engine Oil

Originally posted by demian
I'm currently driving a rental car (old Acura Legend). The other day I was driving on the freeway durin the afternoon. I came upon traffic (always the case in LA) so I had to stop. I had the A/C on pretty high and I was just idling when I noticed that the temperature gauge was pegged to the top. I was like "Crap!" and so I turned off the A/C. Right then the temp gauge started to fall and returned to normal.

I didn't think anything of it at the time, I just thought the A/C was causing the engine bay to get a little hot. Then yesterday night I was at the gas station filling up and I decided to check the engine oil. When I pulled the dipstick, there wasn't any oil on it! I had to put in 1.75 quarts of engine oil in.

Basically, I was driving for a week with the car down 1.75 quarts. I'm just wondering if there's an explanation for why my car didn't stop in the middle of the road during that week. Thanks.
Just because there's not enough oil to show on the dipstick doesn't mean there wasn't any at all. There should have been almost 2 qts. left.

You actually checked the oil on a rental?? You are much nicer to rentals than I am
Old 08-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i didnt know rental cars had oil.... i thought the rubber was free...for the gas you put in it..
Old 08-11-2002, 08:42 PM

the other day i check the oil in the pickup i drive for work... it was down 4 quarts of oil. I was shocked the engine didn't sieze up. the oil pressure guage was fluxuating rapidly and the engine would run really rough in the high end. I told my father and he was shocked too.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:02 PM

Way back I had a girlfriend who owned a Z-24, she had it for like 2 years and had never changed the oil . I had to add two quarts before it showed on the dipstick I guess car engines are tougher than you would think.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:38 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

How many miles did she drive during those 2 years? I would think engine oil these days probabaly could go close 20K miles until it completely breaks down.

Originally posted by Anachronism
Way back I had a girlfriend who owned a Z-24, she had it for like 2 years and had never changed the oil . I had to add two quarts before it showed on the dipstick I guess car engines are tougher than you would think.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:48 PM

thanks for the responses so far. i wanted to clear something up. i wasn't implying that i was driving without any engine oil period. i change the oil on my maxima at home, and i know that it takes around 4.25 quarts with oil filter change. just wanted to know if anyone had any insight to the side-effects of driving low on oil and/or the durability of engines.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:43 AM

Re: Driving without Engine Oil

Originally posted by demian

Next time your car or any car gets hot like that, immediately you should turn on your heater and drive around 40 mph if you can. If you're in traffic then I would suggest you pull over and stop the motor asap!

I could see the temp gauge being high if there's a problem, but to be pegged, I'm surprised the motor isn't cooked. Your car should be able to drive in 120 degree weather, standing still, with A/C on full and still not waver from the normal temp. Pegged is not good. Hopefully it could be as simple as a stuck thermostat or maybe the radiator is clogged. The oil is another issue, let us know how you make out. Aren't our blocks and heads all aluminum? That heat would seriously put a stress on the metal--the cast iron block would be less sensitive. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
How many miles did she drive during those 2 years? I would think engine oil these days probabaly could go close 20K miles until it completely breaks down.

Way more than that, and this was back when mullets were cool and we were about to go to war with someone named Saddam... Wait a minute ... mullets are still cool. I don't remember her exact words but it was something like 'My oil light has been on for about a month... Is that bad?' I added two quarts before I could see it on the dipstick and another quart to get it into the OK range. When I changed it a week later it looked like syrup, and more than half of it was the new oil I added. I can't belive the car still ran after this treatment, why do I buy used again?
Old 08-12-2002, 10:05 AM

Re: Re: Driving without Engine Oil

Originally posted by Frank Fontaine

I could see the temp gauge being high if there's a problem, but to be pegged, I'm surprised the motor isn't cooked. Your car should be able to drive in 120 degree weather, standing still, with A/C on full and still not waver from the normal temp. Pegged is not good. Hopefully it could be as simple as a stuck thermostat or maybe the radiator is clogged. The oil is another issue, let us know how you make out. Aren't our blocks and heads all aluminum? That heat would seriously put a stress on the metal--the cast iron block would be less sensitive. Good luck.
The temp on my old cavalier (87 Z24) used to run up and down. It would run up whenever i was stopped. and i mean run up to the max (i had the digital speedo & gauges). I never had a problem. Oil pressure gauge went on and off. I dunno, I had the car 20k, maybe it was about to go....but I junked it anyway to get my max.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:06 PM
syc

no oil pressure indicator light came up?? hard to believe unless the sensor is broken.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:40 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Oil pressure light will only come on if it's below 10psi. You probably can get 10psi with just 1/2 quart in the crankcase.

Originally posted by syc
no oil pressure indicator light came up?? hard to believe unless the sensor is broken.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:36 PM
syc

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Oil pressure light will only come on if it's below 10psi. You probably can get 10psi with just 1/2 quart in the crankcase.

thanks for the info, i didn't know that. shouldn't nissan re-design this thing. I mean this thing cause the car to overheat indirectly.
Old 08-13-2002, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by syc

thanks for the info, i didn't know that. shouldn't nissan re-design this thing. I mean this thing cause the car to overheat indirectly.
No. That goes for all cars.

The rule of thumb is, an engine should have 10psi hot for every 1000 rpm of engine speed. So, at 4000 rpm, 40psi of oil pressure should be sufficient. Bear in mind though, that a healthy motor should have more than 10psi at idle - but I've seen plenty with that little when hot.