General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New emissions test doesn't measure exhaust gasses?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 06:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

New emissions test doesn't measure exhaust gasses?

Here in Maryland, all 96 and later cars will no longer use the Dynomometer/exhaust gas type of emissions test.

From my understanding all areas of the country are soon to follow.

According the the emission stations website the car is connected to an OBD II scanner and checked for "emissions system performance" whatever that means.

Has anyone undergone this test? Are they just looking for codes? or can they look at all of the sensors this way?

Will this make it easier or more difficult to pass emissions with a Y Pipe, or other mods?
Old 08-12-2002, 08:13 AM

Re: New emissions test doesn't measure exhaust gasses?

That's how I passed emissions. I know the guy that did my emissions, and we both knew my car wasn't going to pass the tailpipe test. So he just hooked up the scanner and since my car wasn't throwing any codes, he passed me. But here in GA, the scanner is just a diagnostic and all cars normally still have to pass the tailpipe test.

Originally posted by maxxed
Here in Maryland, all 96 and later cars will no longer use the Dynomometer/exhaust gas type of emissions test.

From my understanding all areas of the country are soon to follow.

According the the emission stations website the car is connected to an OBD II scanner and checked for "emissions system performance" whatever that means.

Has anyone undergone this test? Are they just looking for codes? or can they look at all of the sensors this way?

Will this make it easier or more difficult to pass emissions with a Y Pipe, or other mods?
Old 08-12-2002, 01:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Since all 96+ cars are OBDII that's the test a lot of states are switching to. In Texas if you own a 96+ vehicle they hook up a sensor that is very similiar to the Snap On Diagnostic tool. Your VIR will show your results and basically checks to see whether your major sensors are working: O2s, EGR, etc.
-hype