General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Coming Soon: Brushed aluminum door sills

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 10:14 PM

Coming Soon: Brushed aluminum door sills

Ok guys, here is something we've been working on recently. Brushed aluminum door sills for the 4th gen. We started making this for the Acura TL/CL and moved on to some other cars. We've finally got them ready for the Maxima. They'll be ready to ship in about 10 days. Here are the pics of the Prelude sills we finished recently.

http://www.preludeonline.com/showthr...threadid=79663

Retail price for the maximas is expected to be around $100, but obviously you guys will get it for cheaper. The sills would say Maxima and look similar to the Prelude ones pictured. We are able to get custom work done with the lettering, but it is not cheap. We will do it, but you have to be willing to pay for it. I'll have pricing for you guys up in the next couple of days after we finalize it at the shop. Just giving you a heads up. These were so popular with everyone else we did them for I thought you guys might like it too.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow those look nice Shadow. I am assuming that estimate is for all 4? You make so many damn brushed aluminium things nobody can keep up
-Cyrus
Old 08-12-2002, 10:55 PM

Yes it's for all 4.

You figure that since I've got 10,000 lbs of brushed aluminum sheets sitting at the shop at any given time, and 2 $300K machines whose job is to cut it I get to play around a little. Plus it keeps everyone occupied

Originally posted by Vyrus
Wow those look nice Shadow. I am assuming that estimate is for all 4? You make so many damn brushed aluminium things nobody can keep up
-Cyrus
Old 08-12-2002, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Shadow
Yes it's for all 4.

You figure that since I've got 10,000 lbs of brushed aluminum sheets sitting at the shop at any given time, and 2 $300K machines whose job is to cut it I get to play around a little. Plus it keeps everyone occupied

pics of the brushed aluminum

is this a 4th gen/5th gen only thing? they're gonna be different 4th gen & 5th gen
Old 08-12-2002, 11:20 PM

Yeah, they're different unless you're Honda which seems to like to use identical dimensions between the 4th and 5th Gen Preludes yet have the sills be completely different patterns and style.

It only takes a day or two for me to design them though so expect all models eventually if there's demand.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:34 AM

l like them!
Old 08-13-2002, 04:34 AM
Master Will

those look good I'd buy them.....
Old 08-13-2002, 05:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I'm in!! All 4 please - BLACK

Thank you!!

Can I get them specialy made with SE LIMITED on them????
Old 08-13-2002, 06:07 AM

About time someone did this. I'm in

shaz
Old 08-13-2002, 06:14 AM

Any plans to do them for 3rd gens? I heard you did a dash kit for a Honda in Titanium. Is it similar to the color of the Razo titanium pedal pads? They're kind of a beige tint to the metal. Looks great on a tan interior. If the color is right I'd be interested in a dash kit for my car.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:13 AM
i SeE what you did therE

i like those
Old 08-13-2002, 11:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

WARNING

do a search on acura-cl.com for door sills to see how many ****ed off customers this guy has already. this is the lastest thread - http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...&postid=870860

buyer beware.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:21 AM

Re: WARNING

Originally posted by acuraboy
do a search on acura-cl.com for door sills to see how many ****ed off customers this guy has already. this is the lastest thread - http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...&postid=870860

buyer beware.
Acura owners... People on here have to wait months for cat-backs and people there can't wait weeks for door sills.
-Cyrus
Old 08-13-2002, 11:23 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: WARNING

buyer beware.
shadow has made us door inserts with no problems and quick turn around.. he has a good reputation here. Thank you for your help in informing us of problems on your side of the car community..

once shadow see this i am sure he will respond.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: WARNING

Acura owners... People on here have to wait months for cat-backs and people there can't wait weeks for door sills.
-Cyrus
no one minds the waiting. we just resent being ignored and disreguard-ed
Old 08-13-2002, 11:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: WARNING

no one minds the waiting. we just resent being ignored and disreguard-ed
He is busy guy. Sometimes you just have to wait for a reply. I'm sure he will respond to this thread as soon as he sees it.
-Cyrus
Old 08-13-2002, 11:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: WARNING

He is busy guy. Sometimes you just have to wait for a reply. I'm sure he will respond to this thread as soon as he sees it.
-Cyrus
i understand that he is busy but wouldn't u say that over a month of not responding to emails or calls is a tad bit excessive? i hope he responds to this thread and the several others on the other boards. guess he likes u guys better
Old 08-13-2002, 11:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WARNING

i understand that he is busy but wouldn't u say that over a month of not responding to emails or calls is a tad bit excessive? i hope he responds to this thread and the several others on the other boards. guess he likes u guys better
Well he does drive a Maxima. Haha but really maybe you all are sending it to a wrong address? I know he uses 2 emails, one of which he checks daily and the other I don't think that often. Have you all tried Sales@AP-Signworks.com ? I think that is the one he checks daily. Anyways just hold on I see some guys have gotten them, maybe he has shipped some more.
-Cyrus
Old 08-13-2002, 11:56 AM
www.autotalk.com

Thats bad customer service period! Why in the world are you starting the group deal here if you cannot even finish on other deals? Man i know its good to make $$$ but atleast give some good customer service!
Old 08-13-2002, 12:08 PM

man ive wanted these for a long time! im interested!
Old 08-13-2002, 12:13 PM

any plans on producing these for 5th gens?
Old 08-13-2002, 01:25 PM

We're trying very hard to fill all our outstanding orders on these sills. The TL/CL guys were the first people to order in such numbers and we never had a problem with the first group of buyers but the latter wave caught us at a bad time. Unfortunately our metal shop went on vacation for 2 weeks 3 days after the end of the group buy. In addition to that our silkscreen shop has a tendency to mess up a lot of sills by incorrectly silkscreening sills which has stuck us w/ hundreds of dollars of ruined inventory and the inability to fullfil orders right away w/o a constant supply of sills. We have every intention of honoring all the orders we took even though we are not making any form of profit on the TL sills at this point. In fact, here is our current stock of sills being prepared to ship in the next 24 hours assuming we can get more 3M tape which has been backordered 2 weeks.

I attribute our problems w/ growing too fast on these sills and our long supply chain since we can't do a lot of this stuff in house because we are such a small buyer in the grand scheme of things. I apologize to anyone waiting on their TL sills but we had never attempted to produce TL sills at this scale nor were we prepared for the volume we received at the end of the group buy, or even the silkscreen shop's inability to produce a consistent product when increasing quantities. Because of such we have to carefully inspect each and every sill even as we make hundreds of sets a week.

As for Jeff's lack of contact with many people, he's been inundated with both backorders and new people calling all the time. Admittedly he's having problems getting back to everybody in a timely fashion but he's having to make both stocking orders for his distributors along with the retail aspect all in a very short period of time.

We've sorted out most of these problems with our suppliers now and will ship out all products that have been backordered. We plan to prevent this from happening with the Maxima sills by having larger quantities cut and holding extras in case of flaws in production. I'm currently handling the Prelude door sill sales and I haven't had a single dissatisfied customer b/c I've been keeping sales at a constant rate even though I'm cutting on demand and holding the silkscreen shop immediately accountable for their mistakes. This is the way we intend for our business to be run and that's the way all future sales will be handled.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:31 PM
www.autotalk.com

Originally posted by Mishap
We're trying very hard to fill all our outstanding orders on these sills. The TL/CL guys were the first people to order in such numbers and we never had a problem with the first group of buyers but the .
Very good customer service this is! Even if you are late on shipping just inform the buyers or post on the org so that no one gets ****ED OFF. I have been into online sales and it all depends on ONE EMAIL.

Good luck with your orders Mishap!
Old 08-13-2002, 01:41 PM

If you'd check out Acuraworld, I've explained the situation with the TL/CL sills. There was a 3 week window on the groupbuy. And when did 60% of the people order? On the last day. You people called until 1:30 in the morning. I've responded to every email I've gotten, if you haven't gotten a response, email us at apsignworks@bellsouth.net, the hotmail account is spotty sometimes. And to be honest with you, we barely broke even on the TL/CL deal. The costs went up from the original quote I gave Austin, but I kept the price the same because that is what ai told everyone.

As for customer service, ask the 100 people who are ecstatic about our customer service and the doorsills. They're just not as vocal as the like 10 people who badmouth us on the forums. I'll register on the cl forums shortly and explain to them the situation. If I couldn't fill a Maxima groupbuy, then I wouldn't do it. All the sills for the acura GB have been finished and are in the proces of being packed and shipped out. YOu can only have bad customer service for so long before it comes back and bites you. We all know that, we just got too busy for our own good for al ittle while, but that's been taken care of.

BTW, acuraboy, send me an email so I can figure out the status of your order.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:49 PM

Sorry, this is Jeff, I was logged in under Justin's account.

Originally posted by Mishap
If you'd check out Acuraworld, I've explained the situation with the TL/CL sills. There was a 3 week window on the groupbuy. And when did 60% of the people order? On the last day. You people called until 1:30 in the morning. I've responded to every email I've gotten, if you haven't gotten a response, email us at apsignworks@bellsouth.net, the hotmail account is spotty sometimes. And to be honest with you, we barely broke even on the TL/CL deal. The costs went up from the original quote I gave Austin, but I kept the price the same because that is what ai told everyone.

As for customer service, ask the 100 people who are ecstatic about our customer service and the doorsills. They're just not as vocal as the like 10 people who badmouth us on the forums. I'll register on the cl forums shortly and explain to them the situation. If I couldn't fill a Maxima groupbuy, then I wouldn't do it. All the sills for the acura GB have been finished and are in the proces of being packed and shipped out. YOu can only have bad customer service for so long before it comes back and bites you. We all know that, we just got too busy for our own good for al ittle while, but that's been taken care of.

BTW, acuraboy, send me an email so I can figure out the status of your order.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I actually have a question.... Why would you not provide the above update to the CL and TL boards? I'm sure you've received tons of emails as well as phone calls, so you know that people are waiting for them and starting to get p!ssed off. You have to look at it from our standpoint... we gave you permission to do the group-buy on our board, and now it's p!ssing off almost every single member who purchased them. Then you come on to a Maxima board and post the update for the CL/TL's here.... what's wrong with this picture? At least have the courtesy to come to the CL board and post the update... that's just common business sense.....
Old 08-14-2002, 07:59 AM

Re: Coming Soon: Brushed aluminum door sills

Ok guys, here is something we've been working on recently. Brushed aluminum door sills for the 4th gen. We started making this for the Acura TL/CL and moved on to some other cars. We've finally got them ready for the Maxima. They'll be ready to ship in about 10 days. Here are the pics of the Prelude sills we finished recently.

http://www.preludeonline.com/showthr...threadid=79663

Retail price for the maximas is expected to be around $100, but obviously you guys will get it for cheaper. The sills would say Maxima and look similar to the Prelude ones pictured. We are able to get custom work done with the lettering, but it is not cheap. We will do it, but you have to be willing to pay for it. I'll have pricing for you guys up in the next couple of days after we finalize it at the shop. Just giving you a heads up. These were so popular with everyone else we did them for I thought you guys might like it too.
Im in! just wondering what colors would be available for the 4th gen sills...
Old 08-14-2002, 08:26 AM

Re: Re: Coming Soon: Brushed aluminum door sills

tell them to be patient, tell them to try to order a set of 95/96 red clears and see how long that takes, itll make this seem like nothing
Old 08-14-2002, 08:35 AM

I have put updates on the Acura boards. But I don't know every single one of them that the groupbuy was put on, Austin was the one who put up all the groupbuys and updates, I just took the orders. I've personally gone to Acura-TL.com and Acuraworld.com to put up the updates. And to be honest with you, nobody has really come to me complaining. Everyone who has called or emailed has been told the situation and they are cool with it. I've been talking to acuraboy who has told me everything going on the CL boards and apparently just a small number of people are being vocal. One person named Smitty will be getting his refund very shortly, and the other person named Silverbullet (RussMaximaniac here) is a special situation. I'm working with Austin to figure out what to do about his warranty claim. Long story short, his sills were damaged in shipping, he installs them anyways which is the wrong thing to do. Now we cannot file a claim with the shippers, because we can't prove they were damaged during shipping since he installed them. If he had just called us as soon as he got them damaged, this would have been taken care of a long time ago. Why would you install damaged sills?

I will be on the CL boards later to post the update. I'm sorry it wasn't done sooner, but I did not know that there were a lot of people there that were a part of this groupdeal. How did you guys find the Maxima board anyways? Did Silverbullet tell you?

Originally posted by juniorbean
I actually have a question.... Why would you not provide the above update to the CL and TL boards? I'm sure you've received tons of emails as well as phone calls, so you know that people are waiting for them and starting to get p!ssed off. You have to look at it from our standpoint... we gave you permission to do the group-buy on our board, and now it's p!ssing off almost every single member who purchased them. Then you come on to a Maxima board and post the update for the CL/TL's here.... what's wrong with this picture? At least have the courtesy to come to the CL board and post the update... that's just common business sense.....
Old 08-14-2002, 08:52 AM

i know russ and its kinda funny, seems just like something he'd do, anyway will you make them all with the lines that come into the letters or more like the ae style with just the word maxima engraved so it matches up to the door inserts? i like these either way
Old 08-14-2002, 09:01 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

i like the brushed aluminum better then the regular AE sills i have because they show every scratch and they are brushed so it won't show up as much.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How did you guys find the Maxima board anyways? Did Silverbullet tell you?
I've been coming here on and off for a while. I've always loved the Maxima, so I come here to check out some rides and stuff on those slow work days

This particular topic was brought to my attention by several members from acura-cl.com. I just followed a link and came to check it out. We would appreciate if you could post a topic on acl.com explaining the specifics just to let everyone know the status of their orders. I know your busy, but I think that would help.....
Old 08-14-2002, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima2k2
i like the brushed aluminum better then the regular AE sills i have because they show every scratch and they are brushed so it won't show up as much.
oh i like the brushed too, i just meant more like the style of the ae, btw nice banner
Old 08-14-2002, 01:32 PM

Those are def tight. Would they be matched to all of the max colors as they were w preludes?

Originally posted by SlamdMax98
oh i like the brushed too, i just meant more like the style of the ae, btw nice banner
Old 08-14-2002, 02:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think I will probably be handling the Maxima Door Sills unless otherwised notified by Jeff so if people want to start an order list of have any questions you can get to me directly at SSJZTien@aol.com.

These have been under construction for awhile and we have learned from previous mistakes, hopefully we will not encounter any problems and if we do everything will be taken care of immediately.

As far as the customizing and 5th gen sills that will be in an update in the next couple of days.

Jason Sadler
AP-SIGNWORKS.COM
Old 08-14-2002, 03:09 PM

cool, so are these going to be flat bc our current door sills include a plastic piece that goes up into where the carpet starts, and im guessing we would have to remove that piece
Old 08-14-2002, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by SlamdMax98
cool, so are these going to be flat bc our current door sills include a plastic piece that goes up into where the carpet starts, and im guessing we would have to remove that piece
these are not replacement door sills, these are 3m taped to your existing sills.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:52 AM

The word is we are waiting to get our first set in and get them all silkscreened. Pictures will be posted and formal orders will begin to be taken sometime soon.

Jason Sadler