General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How radar detectors work????

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 09:08 AM

Same direction moving RADAR is not that complicated. It has two antennas; one measures the speed of the patrol car compared to the road, and the other measures the speed of the violator vehicle as compared to the patrol car. It adds the two numbers together and gives the speed of the violator vehicle.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by tbirdrob
Same direction moving RADAR is not that complicated. It has two antennas; one measures the speed of the patrol car compared to the road, and the other measures the speed of the violator vehicle as compared to the patrol car. It adds the two numbers together and gives the speed of the violator vehicle.
Hmmm, that sounds correct....however, why has there not been more adoption of this type of radar, and why did it take so long after the first was released for the second to be released? If they use the same technology, it should not be much more expensive to produce.

We don't have it, but I have ridden with a good friend on the UHP who had it and it was GREAT. He was clocking cars coming up on us at tremendous speed! He would also enter the freeway and clock cars ahead of us. Drivers are much more aware of police vehicles in oncoming lanes....I wish we had it, but I also wish I had ANY kind of moving radar!
Old 08-21-2002, 01:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by d_warner
Sure, open highways, it would be great, but whats not to say he got on behind you two exits back. That damn contraption you made will never stop beeping or hissing or whatever you make it do. It'd be like a superman mosquito on a hot day and you're all out of kryptonite!
Let me ask you a question regarding radars. I have received a ticket for speeding, and it's not that I was oppset about the ticket because let's face it I deserved it. But my question is the ticket was marked H.H. Radar and my radar detector never went off. I tried to get some information about this H.H. Radar but nobody has any answers. My Valantine One seems to be pretty accurate but I still see officers parked on the side of the road and it looks like a speed trap, but no alarm from the detector. What is that?

Sorry about the length.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

You have to remember that LIDAR can be used w/o a front license plate. Here in GA, we also do not have front license plates and LIDAR is everywhere. The officer will shoot/aim at your headlights (the gun only needs a reflective somewhat flat surface to get an accurate reading). As stated before, he does have to be stationary but he can be facing your direction. Only one radar gun can measure speed while moving in the same direction. For this reason, most police vehicles are either clocking in the opposite direction they are traveling or stationary.

No matter what some literature may say, it is not an easy task to beat a speeding ticket. Either on the road or in court. Some police officers, I hate to stereotype here (I have been told directly this), will not be as lenient if they see a radar detector on your dash.

Use good common sense and you will not find yourself on the side of the road mumbling...."Yes, sir...Yes, sir...I wasn't paying attention or Yes, sir I didn't realize I was speeding, sorry". BTW, the second response will go further to get you a break than the first one.
I got pulled over by a MA state trooper one night saw him get in his car and turn on his lights so i pulled right over, that way heh didnt get mad for having to chase me. Well he walks up does the usual license and reg. Asks me if i know the speed limit (55) he said "you were doing 70" i said i was sorry and he walked back to his car. 5 minutes later he walks back to my car and gives me a warning for 65 in a 55(warning are unheard of from staties) then he asks me if my radar detector detects lidar, i said its supposed to and he asked if it went off, i said no. He laughed and said he hoped i didnt waste too much cash on it. Nice cop though, they do have hearts afterall
Old 08-21-2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by max7

Let me ask you a question regarding radars. I have received a ticket for speeding, and it's not that I was oppset about the ticket because let's face it I deserved it. But my question is the ticket was marked H.H. Radar and my radar detector never went off. I tried to get some information about this H.H. Radar but nobody has any answers. My Valantine One seems to be pretty accurate but I still see officers parked on the side of the road and it looks like a speed trap, but no alarm from the detector. What is that?

Sorry about the length.
Like other peeps have said, the laser is a very small beam, so if he aims at your plate or headlight, theres a chance it wont even reach your RD, i got yanked and mine never went off too
Old 08-22-2002, 07:54 AM

I'm going to answer the two questions posted here. The reason why there are not that many radars in use by police that detect same direction violators is simple: EXPENSE. The units are very expensive compared to "regular" radar guns. They are, again I'm going from memory here so bear with me, called "FALCON" or something like that. As I stated, it is much more difficult to monitor speeds when moving and moving in the same direction that technology for stationary radar is much cheaper and thereby w/i most dept's budget.

The reason why your radar detector did not go off when you were clocked at night is really unknown. I have read this though, LIDAR guns have limitations including cannot use in rain, cannot use w/o actually getting out of vehicle and aiming, and supposedly cannot use at night. The gun emits a very narrow LIGHT beam that is then returned back to the unit, at night it would be substantially easier for refracted/reflected light to return that was not sent from the gun; i.e. headlights/streetlights, etc. I'm not 100% sure, but I did read that somewhere like Road & Track or something like that when they tested several detectors head to head.

You guys also have to remember that just because there's a radar antenna mounted facing the rear of a squad car DOES NOT mean they clock you as you come up on them. That antenna is usually there so when that officer runs traffic duty, he can position himself STATIONARY with the car pointing in either direction but facing opposing traffic. There is a switch on the patrol car that activates either the dash mounted radar or the rear facing one at will. Again, I am not trying to condone, advocate, or justify speeding or saying anything derrogatory towards law enforcement (in case you haven't figured it out yet, I used to be in law enforcement ) but some officers and people believe that the speed readout from a rear facing antenna is accurate and true when running in the same direction and moving. As explained before, only if the car is equipped with the radar capable of same direction detection is this true.