General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got my ACT Clutch put in.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 09:53 PM
Banned

Got my ACT Clutch put in.....

and damn does this thing grab when you let the pedal out. Holy Moly, I try and drive off normally but cant because the damn thing grips like a champ so fast. It is crazy.

The clutch chatters when I take off in first but isnt to bad after that. I think from what people have said once I break it in it will go away.

The engagement point is way higher than the old clutch. It feels like I am only pressing down maybe an inch or 2 and tyhe clutch lets go. It feels the same when I put it into gear as well. It catches very high. It will take some time to get used to it, but I think I am going to like it alot.

I also got a lightened flywheel put in and I can definately tell a difference from that and I am only driving up to 3000rpms. Rpms fall quickly when I shift and the car "feels" noticeably faster up to 3k rpms. I cant wait to get on it, especially with my Nitrous

me with new clutch~~~>
Old 08-22-2002, 10:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Got my ACT Clutch put in.....

Originally posted by matt calder
and damn does this thing grab when you let the pedal out. Holy Moly, I try and drive off normally but cant because the damn thing grips like a champ so fast. It is crazy.

The clutch chatters when I take off in first but isnt to bad after that. I think from what people have said once I break it in it will go away.

The engagement point is way higher than the old clutch. It feels like I am only pressing down maybe an inch or 2 and tyhe clutch lets go. It feels the same when I put it into gear as well. It catches very high. It will take some time to get used to it, but I think I am going to like it alot.

I also got a lightened flywheel put in and I can definately tell a difference from that and I am only driving up to 3000rpms. Rpms fall quickly when I shift and the car "feels" noticeably faster up to 3k rpms. I cant wait to get on it, especially with my Nitrous

me with new clutch~~~>
isn't it great? the release will get much smoother and less "on/off" around 1k miles.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:33 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

jOO still slow.

Old 08-22-2002, 10:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Auto rules! j/k...glad you like the ACT clutch Matt. I can't wait until I get my 5spd conversion one day.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:12 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Congrats Matt. Ive got about 350 miles on mine so far. Still chatters a bit in 1st and reverse, but second is pretty smooth and I don't notice it at all in the rest of the gears... Have fun with the juice...
Old 08-22-2002, 11:41 PM
!OG SNES OG!

You wouldn't believe my stupidity...

I brought my car in to the local mechanic I use to get my ACT clutch installed, and while they're at it, rotate my tires and install the Addco RSB.

So I get a call from the mechanic around 9, wondering if I had the key to my McGard wheel locks. So I tell him that I gave that to the front desk guy.. no problem. I go back to work.

I get a call around 10 or so... "we're all finished with your car". I'm thinking, wow, that's fast. They say, we couldn't get your lug nuts off, we need a special notched key. I'm thinking, being the ignorant bastard that I am, I have four of these "things" sitting on my dresser in my bedroom at home (1.5 hours away!!), that must be what they're talking about... So I say, damn! I wanted to have it on today so I could drive it all weekend to break it in. No go. When's the earliest I can bring it back in, once I get the key. Tuesday...
Damn... oh well, let's do Tuesday. Go back to work.

Get to the shop after work to pick up the car, get on the highway to drive home, and all of a sudden I have to punch myself in the head. In the trunk, in my emergency kit, is the friggin' notched cylindrical "key" that I needed to removed these lug nuts... what an IDIOT! I completely forgot it was in there, or even clued in that this was for the lug nuts. Brainfart big time.

So needless to say, I'll be making another trip to said mechanic on Tuesday morning to do the clutch install. Grrr...

At least I've installed my Frankencar midpipe (ooh, what a sweet sound and great acceleration!!!), and the RSB over the past 2 days. Some consolation for being an a$$clown.

Please, don't laugh too hard at my misery

Mike
Old 08-23-2002, 02:14 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

matt since when have you invested in naws? anyway have fun with the clutch. no max should be w/out it. had mine for over a year and still chirpin 3rd on demand.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

that's all nice and good matt, but when are you going to start "modding" your car..

jk i have a stillen kit now, i am catching up.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:39 AM
Banned

Originally posted by nismo2020
matt since when have you invested in naws? ) anyway have fun with the clutch. no max should be w/out it. had mine for over a year and still chirpin 3rd on demand. )
I bought matt's(mtrai760) kit at the beginning of the summer.:

I am having to restrain myself from driving around pointlessly just to get 500 miles.:

that's all nice and good matt, but when are you going to start "modding" your car..
jk i have a stillen kit now, i am catching up.
heh, when you start learning that green maximas dont win shows.
I is just not possible...so stop...hehehe so I can win

jOO still slow.
you are just trying to be like me. First you buy the Volks, and now you do a 5sp conversion........hater so I can win
Old 08-23-2002, 09:01 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Thanks for the post. I doing the ACT soon but can't decide on the flywheel. Which brand of flywheel did you get? Probably the UR.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
Thanks for the post. I doing the ACT soon but can't decide on the flywheel. Which brand of flywheel did you get? Probably the UR.
Actually i got the stillen one. The UR is lighter than the Stillen so it might be harder to drive well in everday driving. The UR is better for racing.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:15 AM

Re: Got my ACT Clutch put in.....

me with new clutch~~~>

Congrats on the new Act install!!
Man grab is right, I love my act clutch.
Enjoy!!!
Old 08-24-2002, 06:20 AM

How are you likeing the new flywheel? Do you notice any roughness at idle or anything like that?

SuDZ
Old 08-24-2002, 08:43 AM
Banned

Originally posted by SuDZ
How are you likeing the new flywheel? Do you notice any roughness at idle or anything like that?

SuDZ
I like it alot. The only roughness that I have noticed is from the clutch chattering in first and thats it. Idle is the same as before. If anyone wants to get some lowend punch back, get the flywheel. Even though I am just going up to 3k rpms, it just seems like it pulls harder. maybe its just me. Its hard to tell exactly what the flywheel is doing only because I am not getting on it.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:34 AM

Stillen sells UR's flywheel, which is made by AASCO.
and the Flywheel is an awesome mod. I remember when i got it not to many people had it and alot bad mouthed it. But i would definetly get it if your doing the clutch.

I love my ACT Clutch. But it chatters bad ! going down the freeway at 60 miles an hour, sometime when i shift to 5th the whole front of my car jumps up and down. But Chattering has alot to do with the install job too. So make sure you have some1 good install it.
My Install jump was just completly ****ty and will never take it back to the place that did it.
Old 08-24-2002, 05:20 PM

I like it alot. The only roughness that I have noticed is from the clutch chattering in first and thats it. Idle is the same as before. If anyone wants to get some lowend punch back, get the flywheel. Even though I am just going up to 3k rpms, it just seems like it pulls harder. maybe its just me. Its hard to tell exactly what the flywheel is doing only because I am not getting on it.
Nice to know for future reference.

SuDZ