General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

OT: Check out www.nissan.com

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2000 | 08:06 PM
tan_camry

Nissan Motors is suing Nissan Computers.

tan
Old 12-16-2000 | 12:00 AM

Good. ITs bullSh#t How they use the name nissan to peddle their crappy web search engines and other crap. They used to be all about computers and now all they are is a web portal trying to make money off of nissans name. I hope nissan the car company wins.

Ps. If they only sold computers and didnt try to be the next yahoo i wouldnt mind...

Adam
Old 12-16-2000 | 06:04 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

This has been discussed before. They owned the domain before Nissan had a chance to buy it. IMO they are entitled to use it.
Old 12-16-2000 | 08:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not necessarily, NickStam . . .

I'm not an attorney, but as I remember from my Business Law courses, it's a matter of whether or not use of the name impacts negatively on a trademark owner's ability to do business.

If I interpret the situation correctly, it appears that Nissan Motor Corporation did not take action against Nissan Computers until the latter decided to create an ISP by the name of "nissan.net". Until then, Nissan Computers could make an argument that its use of the name "nissan.com" as a manufacturer and distributor of computers did not impact significantly upon Nissan Motor Corporation's ability to do business as an automobile manufacturer. But it became a different matter when Nissan Computers established something as public and pervasive as an ISP and branded it "nissan.net".

It will be an interesting case, but this much I can tell you. Whether we'd like to admit it or not, money is more powerful than justice in this country. I suspect that Nissan Motor Corporation has a lot more money than Nissan Computers has. Through a process of simple attrition, Nissan Computers will eventually be brought to its knees.

Mark my words.

[Edited by y2kse on 12-16-2000 at 10:11 AM]
Old 12-16-2000 | 10:58 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Not necessarily, NickStam . . .

Originally posted by y2kse
I'm not an attorney, but as I remember from my Business Law courses, it's a matter of whether or not use of the name impacts negatively on a trademark owner's ability to do business.

If I interpret the situation correctly, it appears that Nissan Motor Corporation did not take action against Nissan Computers until the latter decided to create an ISP by the name of "nissan.net". Until then, Nissan Computers could make an argument that its use of the name "nissan.com" as a manufacturer and distributor of computers did not impact significantly upon Nissan Motor Corporation's ability to do business as an automobile manufacturer. But it became a different matter when Nissan Computers established something as public and pervasive as an ISP and branded it "nissan.net".

It will be an interesting case, but this much I can tell you. Whether we'd like to admit it or not, money is more powerful than justice in this country. I suspect that Nissan Motor Corporation has a lot more money than Nissan Computers has. Through a process of simple attrition, Nissan Computers will eventually be brought to its knees.

Mark my words.

[Edited by y2kse on 12-16-2000 at 10:11 AM]

YEAAAAAH!!!! [zero burns mr. nissan in effigy] j/p

Mr. Nissan does have all rights to use nissan.com, but i personally think he's misusing the traffic he's gettin because of the popularity of the URL. 70-80% click through revenue links on the main page!?!? and his product listing hasnt been updated since IBM sold the PC/AT! GRRR...