General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got a ticket for my stock HID's

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 07:07 PM

Got a ticket for my stock HID's

I was driving along a side street going at the speed limit when I see a cop approaching me from the opposite direction. All of a sudden I see the cop make a U-turn and turn his lights on. He got out of the car and started looking at my stock HID's. He then tells me that my headlights are illegal and stuff and gives me a ticket for $110. I will be fighting this ticket so my question is, how should I go about proving to the court that my headlights are stock? Should I contact Nissan? If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

Nathan
Old 08-26-2002, 07:12 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I'd go to the dealership and have them give you some kind of proof that your headlights are legal and approved by DOT and the other agency or whatever it is... if not, find some window sticker or something from when you bought the car or an owners manual or anything that mentions High Intensity Discharge headlights to show that it is factory equipment..

I can't believe this happened though i wouldn't worry about it.. you'll fight it off.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:13 PM

Re: Got a ticket for my stock HID's

Originally posted by Nathan
I was driving along a side street going at the speed limit when I see a cop approaching me from the opposite direction. All of a sudden I see the cop make a U-turn and turn his lights on. He got out of the car and started looking at my stock HID's. He then tells me that my headlights are illegal and stuff and gives me a ticket for $110. I will be fighting this ticket so my question is, how should I go about proving to the court that my headlights are stock? Should I contact Nissan? If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

Nathan

Obviously all state laws are different, but I would suggest you either use the window sticker from when you bought the car or any relevant information in the owners manual. Take both of those documents with you to court. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:15 PM

maybe...

Maybe he was talking about your clear turn signals? Do they blink orange and just look clear?

If he REALLY was talking about your HID's....OMG. I'm dumbfounded that that would happen...

ARFF
Old 08-26-2002, 07:37 PM

Re: Got a ticket for my stock HID's

Originally posted by Nathan

Nathan
If your car has under 12k, have the dealer adjust the lamps under warranty, could be they're poorly aimed. Then show the court that you were diligent in having them checked out and adjusted. My friend had to get his "self-leveling" xenons on his BMW adjusted when the car was new. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:06 PM

or even just take in a broucher for the car. I've heard about cops pulling over some cars because their HID's are a blue hue. and many state laws say that no car can omit a blue light from the front of the car. Its messed up. On a side note---many state laws also say your head light(center mass) has to be at least 26in from the ground...
Old 08-26-2002, 08:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ste it up for a formal hearing. You'll probably get a notice in the mail for a pre-trial. Bring your documentation then including a letter from the dealership stating that the HID's on your car are indeed factory issue and have been adjusted to factory spec. The DA shoud toss it out. If not the judge will at trial anyway.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:34 PM

Thanks so much for the help guys. I'll get all the documentation asap. I live in Toronto, Canada and another one of my buddies has 2k2 HID's and he has gotten pestered by a cop for them but wasn't charged.

When the cop was approaching me, it was on a hill so I assume the lights were blinding him or something. The had the HIDs on for 15 minutes so they must have been pretty white.

As for my clear headlights, they blink white but I didnt have them blinking when he stopped me and it says on the ticket that I was charged for improper use of headlights.

So I should go to the dealer and adjust the headlights right? I'll do it this week since I have my 12,000 warranty appointment.

Nathan
Old 08-26-2002, 08:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Have them adjusted just in case. Also, put in an orange bulb into your corner lights to make sure they are legal.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:48 PM

that's unbelievable. actually, if you look closely at the hid light casing...i believe it had DOT on it in raised clear lettering. i know it sucks having to go to court, but you should not...will not lose this one.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Guru
Have them adjusted just in case. Also, put in an orange bulb into your corner lights to make sure they are legal.
Yeah thats exactly what I'm going to be doing at the dealer. Unfortunitly they dont make orange bulbs for this car (as far as i know) so I might have to paint the bulb orange.

Nathan
Old 08-26-2002, 09:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

PM Riot^... he is a Police Constable in Toronto. He should be able to give you some direction as to what to do. Also, meet him and make him your friend. It never hurts to have friends in Law-Enforcement, especially ones that have the same interests as you.

I used to live in Toronto, spent two years there. I am trying to take my wife out there sometime, what a GREAT city! I lived downtown (sherborn and bloor) for 9 months, and spent lots of time from Mississauga to scarborough...man, what a great city!
Old 08-26-2002, 10:18 PM

WTF you didnt get a ticket for the white side markers,,i did and limo tint.
Good Luck in Court.
f the
Old 08-26-2002, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Bad97MaxSE
WTF you didnt get a ticket for the white side markers,,i did and limo tint.
Good Luck in Court.
f the
Yeah thats what I was worried about, and my clear turning signal. My corner lights are all hyperwhite and sort of bluish.

Nathan
Old 08-26-2002, 10:26 PM

sometimes the Cops dont make any sense. Like pulling me over for my tint when i had my windows rolled down.

I also dont understand Why they break up a car show and ticket every one when the show is very good to surronding Business.