General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Question re: STILLEN x-drilled rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Question re: STILLEN x-drilled rotors

I recently received four(4) x-drilled rotors from Stillen for my 2KSE and two(2) for the wifeys Honda. While inspecting the six rotors soon after shipment I noticed that one of the rotors, all of which are BREMBO blanks, had some machining done to it. If you were to stand the rotor up just as if it were being placed on the car, and looking down into the vanes, there is an area right in between that has been machined out; about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in length.

Does anyone know if this is a manufacturing error.....??

I spoke with Jeff and and one of the engineers at STILLEN and they insist that "some rotors, after manufacturing, are not balanced properly and are machined in order to balance them out".

I told Jeff that it seems to me that the rotor was NOT manufactured properly and that this machining was done in order to salvage the rotor so that they would not have to throw it out. He stated that a lot of their rotors are machined in order to be properly balanced and that the service life will be the same as a rotor that has not been machined.

Does anyone know if what STILLEN is stating is true? and has anyone else received x-drilled rotors from Stillen with the same machining?

Thanks,

Angelo
Old 08-30-2002, 11:03 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

The machined off area is done to balance the rotor, IIRC.
Old 08-31-2002, 04:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I just put the Stillen rotors & pads on my 99. I believe out of 4, 3 of them had areas in the vanes where you could see material was taken off. I concluded this was to balance them. Never even 2nd guessed it.

I can tell you one thing for sure, You are going to LOVE these brakes!

Make sure you follow the bedding in instructions. Take your time and break them in slowly. Takes about a tank of gas (~300 miles) of normal driving before you really fell them grab.

Old 08-31-2002, 06:53 AM

Thanks for your help guys. I just needed to get a verification from someone who has the Stillen rotors that the machining was not an error in manufacturing. I will install these puppies next week....
Old 10-02-2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I just put the Stillen rotors & pads on my 99. I believe out of 4, 3 of them had areas in the vanes where you could see material was taken off. I concluded this was to balance them. Never even 2nd guessed it.

I can tell you one thing for sure, You are going to LOVE these brakes!

Make sure you follow the bedding in instructions. Take your time and break them in slowly. Takes about a tank of gas (~300 miles) of normal driving before you really fell them grab.
NJMAXSELTD or anyone else, take a look at this thread and give my some advice.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=155919
Thnks,

Angelo